Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Hong Kong Restaurant Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#31 wanderlust

wanderlust
  • legacy participant
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:01 PM

This question is as personal as "What's the Best Deli in New York". If you're staying at the Conrad, try the restaurant in the adjunct United Center. It's a massive Dim Sum establishment during the week day (Mon. - Sat in HKG) lunch hours, which ensure the freshness of the food. The food there was great and probably half the price of the Marriott's restaurant (In the basement of Pacific Place)

Some of HKG's hotels have great Dim Sum. They are normally the ones catering more to Chinese. I persoanlly like Kwoloon hotel and Maxim hotel's east palace. I've tried Dim Sum at more upscale establishments (Island Shangri-la, Mandarin Oriental) and found them disappointing.

For more about HKG food scene, try http://www.foodeasy.com

Michael

#32 Wimpy

Wimpy
  • legacy participant
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 06:31 PM

Looks like you have enough Dim Sum advice. But don't forget to try some roast goose! I always go to Yun Kee's which is halfway up D'Aguilar street (Hong Kong side, Central).

#33 SteveW

SteveW
  • participating member
  • 754 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 11:08 AM

Looks like you have enough Dim Sum advice.  But don't forget to try some roast goose!  I always go to Yun Kee's which is halfway up D'Aguilar street (Hong Kong side, Central).

I think you're thinking of Yung Kee. It's renowned in Hong Kong for their roast goose.

-------------
Steve

#34 SandraT

SandraT
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 02:08 PM

Recently returned from a Christmas trip to Hong Kong. A local we met while sharing a table at Yung Kee recommended Maxims in City Hall for dim sum. We really enjoyed it..huge selection, great view. Get there early though as there will be a wait (weekends only).

#35 cabrales

cabrales
  • legacy participant
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 02:19 PM

I forgot to mention that the HK airport has a dim sum venue (not delicious, but there are limited alternatives).

#36 anil

anil
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:09 AM

I forgot to mention that the HK airport has a dim sum venue (not delicious, but there are limited alternatives).

Like many Airports, it is cafeteria style - on the upper level, along with japanese soba and some really upappealing desserts :smile:

The CX (Cathay Pacific) First Class lounge is quite an experience. Its decor,facilities and food&drinks gets it nominated every year among the best lounges in the world.

Edited by anil, 06 February 2003 - 11:15 AM.

anil

#37 Charles Smith

Charles Smith
  • legacy participant
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:49 PM

The CX (Cathay Pacific) First Class lounge is quite an experience.  Its decor,facilities and food&drinks gets it nominated every year among the best lounges in the world.

The long bar there is a great bar, in terms of design and view. I also think that HKG is the best airport in the world.

#38 Wimpy

Wimpy
  • legacy participant
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 08:01 AM

The CX (Cathay Pacific) First Class lounge is quite an experience.  Its decor,facilities and food&drinks gets it nominated every year among the best lounges in the world.

The long bar there is a great bar, in terms of design and view. I also think that HKG is the best airport in the world.

Sorry Charles- I must respectfully disagree. Changi Airport in Singapore kicks major ass! Furthermore, Singapore Airlines is the lord of the skies.

I've been based in HK during the last days of Kai Tak airport (and am perhaps one of the last lucky few who have experienced the amazing landing path which takes you in a steep banking turn between buildings) and have since travelled frequently to HK via Chep Lap Kok airport.

Now, I am based in Singapore, and fly out to Oz and Manila every month. I must tell you, Changi is awesome in breadth of shopping, broadband accessibility (free wireless lan), and if you're one of the lucky few PPS club member on Singapore airlines, you gain entry to unquestionably one of the best 1st class lounges on earth. To me, Chep Lap Kok is not as passenger friendly in design or convenience.

One thing I do like in the Marco Polo club lounge in HK is the complimentary noodle bar. I love the Shanghai style noodle in chili sesame oil dressing.

:biggrin:

#39 yummee

yummee
  • legacy participant
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 06:36 AM

If we're talking about food alone, although I realize that it's a matter of personal preferences, HK Airport definitely leaves Change Airport to dust. Hong Kong has been famous among just about every world travellers for having the one of the best food in the world and some of the restaurants in HK Airport does provide this type of experience. I'm not saying that Singapore is not worldly known for its food and cuisines, but it's on completely different level compared to Hong Kong.

One is the ultimate place to get the best modern, new-style Cantonese food on earth. One is the cross road of different culture, from Hokkienese Chinese, Indonesian, Malaysian, and Indian. In Singapore the food is a mixed bag of different culture. The result is also a mixed bag and the Changi Airport shows these differences as well.

If we're talking about design alone, HK again tops Changi in every aspect of modern designs, views, not to mention the superfast train from the Airport that takes you to the city.

Now, if we're talking about comfort that's a different story.

Edited by yummee, 17 March 2003 - 06:37 AM.

#40 anil

anil
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 03:52 AM

I've been based in HK during the last days of Kai Tak airport (and am perhaps one of the last lucky few who have experienced the amazing landing path which takes you in a steep banking turn between buildings) .......

Yup ! Yup !! Kai Tak landings were phenomenal. But from another perspective
these cannot be beat in breadth or in scale A favourite activity at the beach.

Actually I cherished the window seat while landing at Kai Tak

Edited by anil, 18 March 2003 - 03:58 AM.

anil

#41 anil

anil
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 04:01 AM

SIN and HKG are both modern and very convenient airports :biggrin: If one has club access what difference does it make who has better restaurants -- you just hang around in the bar, oogle at the eye candy and maybe nibble or two before the flight :blink:
anil

#42 annchang

annchang
  • legacy participant
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 03:38 AM

Some of My HK gourmad friends recommedns me The Peninsula Hong Kong has the best dim sum. After I sampled it out, I do not know whether it is the best in HK, it is certainly has the exceptional quality which has impressed me tremendously. Spring Moon restaurant (Peninsula) offer 27 top quality chinese tea and serve it at true Chinese way, in other words, per person has their own teapot which just serve one cup of tea. Once you finish your tea, the waiter will come to you to add more water, therefore, you always have a tea which at the right temperature to enjoy. The dim sum itself is more on the creative side ( Lighter, less greasy, small portion, using a lot of expensive ingredient with the creative match such as roasted duck and dried oyster mix together as the filling and use filo to wrape it and fried , extremely delicious) rather than tradition Hong Kongese dim sum ( mostly use prawn, pork , beef and large portion).

The sweet dim sum is also exceptionally tasty, frankly, this was first time I realize that Chinese dessert is no less than Western one. One sweet dim sum ¥¤¬Ó¥] (I am sorry for typing CHinese here, because I do not know the proper translation) which you can taste it every dim sum restaurant (US, UK, HK, and etc). THe ingredinet is very simple, just butter, chesse powder, egg and coconut milk. YOU probably already try the boring version, however, the one I have tried in Spring Moon was memorable. The taste stayed in my mouth for few weeks. If Pierre Herme is best at creating many different layer of tasting experience in one bite, the Spring Moon's ¥¤¬Ó¥] is best at bring out the long forgetten best flavour of few basic ingredient.

Strongly recommend .

www.peninsula.com

Ann

#43 eatingwitheddie

eatingwitheddie
  • participating member
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 05:16 AM

Some of My HK gourmad friends recommedns me The Peninsula Hong Kong has the best dim sum. After I sampled it out, I do not know whether it is the best in HK, it is certainly has the exceptional quality which has impressed me tremendously. Spring Moon restaurant (Peninsula) offer 27 top quality chinese tea and serve it at true Chinese way, in other words, per person has their own teapot which just  serve one cup of tea. Once you finish your tea, the waiter will come to you to add more water, therefore, you always have a tea which at the right temperature to enjoy. The dim sum itself is more on the creative side  ( Lighter, less greasy, small portion, using a lot of expensive ingredient with the creative match such as roasted duck and dried oyster mix together as the filling and use filo to wrape it and fried , extremely delicious) rather than tradition Hong Kongese dim sum ( mostly use prawn, pork , beef and large portion).

The sweet dim sum is also exceptionally tasty, frankly, this was first time I realize that Chinese dessert is no less than Western one.  One sweet dim sum ¥¤¬Ó¥] (I am sorry for typing CHinese here, because I do not know the proper translation) which you can taste it every dim sum restaurant (US, UK, HK, and etc). THe ingredinet is very simple, just butter, chesse powder, egg and coconut milk. YOU probably already try the boring version, however, the one I have tried in Spring Moon was memorable. The taste stayed in my mouth for few weeks.  If Pierre Herme is best at creating many different layer of tasting experience in one bite, the Spring Moon's ¥¤¬Ó¥] is best at bring out the long forgetten best flavour of few basic ingredient.

Strongly recommend .

www.peninsula.com

Ann

Thanks for a great post

#44 sikfan

sikfan
  • legacy participant
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:49 AM

according to my in-laws (who are local HK chinese) one of the best dim sum places is lin heung on wellington street in central.

it's an old cantonese eatery, and you would be excused if you thought that it looked a bit dodgy by it's appearance, but the dim sum is first class and very authentic. It's not just the dim sum either, the evening menu is great too,(try the 8 treasure duck [bat po ap]!! YUM!) so much so, that you may find it difficult to actually be able to get in, the place is always full (especially for the morning sessions!)

one recommendation though, if you do decide to visit lin heung, it's best if you have a cantonese speaker with you, as they don't have english menus, and the staff mostly don't speak english.

we go there regularly!

as for luk yu teahouse, forget it!...it's a gimmick, and the dim sum is really fatty and horrible, most people go there just for the tea, if you spot someone eating dim sum there, the chances are they are tourists who have been conned into going there by the fact that the HKTA have said that it's a good eatery..plus is soo expensive!

#45 SteveW

SteveW
  • participating member
  • 754 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 12:27 AM

Anyone here has gone to the Whampoa Gourmet Place complex in Hong Kong? Curious, overall how's the food in the different food stalls at Whampoa? Any specific places I should check out?

-Steve

#46 HKTraveler

HKTraveler
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 06:40 AM

Only been to the Ding Tai Fung there and I would recommend a pass. Though it is a off-shoot of the excellent shop in Taiwan, the quality is simply not there. Definitely more hype than quality.

#47 ecr

ecr
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 08:36 PM

I will of course have lots of southern Chinese specialties on my upcoming trip to Hong Kong, but would also like to satisfy cravings for good, homestyle Sichuan or Hunan food, and dao shao mian (noodles handcut from a big dough block into boiling water). Chinese-only menu is not a problem and I don't care much about atmosphere as long as the food is memorable.
Also --- anyone tried the husband-wife Sichuan restaurant that was written up in Saveur last January (set meal, 2 seatings a night, she sings opera)?
Many thanks.

#48 HKDave

HKDave
  • participating member
  • 739 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:35 AM

I can't recommend anywhere for 'good homestyle' Sichuan food in HK - it's all watered down for local tastes, never enough chilies or oil or Sichuan pepper. If you want real Sichuan it's necessary to cross the border. There are great cheap homestyle Sichuan places in all every industrial town up and down the Pearl River. A couple I like in Guangzhou are:
HuongGuaLiang Sichuan restaurant
#472 TianHe Road
Tel : 87514668

XiaoDuongTian Sichuan restaurant
ChuongZhing Building , #76 LuongLingXia Road
Tel : 87752091

My favorite:
Small Sky Cave Sichuan Restaurant (I don't know the Chinese name/address, but this one actually has an English menu)
Tel 87767856
All the above are about 1/5 the price of Hong Kong and far, far better foodwise.

Some serious foodie friends of mine have been to the husband-wife-opera place you mention, and they have been generally unexcited with the food. It's more of a novelty than a great meal.
Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

#49 HKDave

HKDave
  • participating member
  • 739 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:53 AM

Wang Lai Yuen in Whampoa Gourmet is very well known for dan dan mein. Everyone I know that's been there, loves it. I've tried to go there a couple times but have always been deterred by long lineups (which are a good sign, I guess!)

The owners ran the late great dan dan mein shack in Diamond Hill squatter area for 50 years, and haven't changed the recipe. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to make another attempt to go there.

I've been to other HK branches of two of the other restaurants there, Spicy Crab and Guangdong BBQ. Both are good but no need to make a special trip to Hung Hom to visit them.

Link to all the restuarants at Whampoa Gourmet:
http://www.whampoaworld.com/choi_e.htm
Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

#50 ecr

ecr
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:49 PM

Oh, disturbing news about the husband-wife restaurant, as I have reservations for Sat.... Perhaps I'll stick to Cantonese.
No time for a hop across the border this trip, but thanks for the Guangzhou recs which I'll file away for future use.

#51 Gary Soup

Gary Soup
  • legacy participant
  • 865 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:50 PM

Wang Lai Yuen in Whampoa Gourmet is very well known for dan dan mein.  Everyone I know that's been there, loves it.  I've tried to go there a couple times but have always been deterred by long lineups (which are a good sign, I guess!)

The owners ran the late great dan dan mein shack in Diamond Hill squatter area for 50 years, and haven't changed the recipe.  Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to make another attempt to go there.

I've been to other HK branches of two of the other restaurants there, Spicy Crab and Guangdong BBQ.  Both are good but no need to make a special trip to Hung Hom to visit them.

Link to all the restuarants at Whampoa Gourmet:
http://www.whampoaworld.com/choi_e.htm

I checked the Whampoa Gourmet website and was surprised that they have a Huang Jia Sha branch there. Huang Jia Sha is a place (almost the place) for excellent dumplings and "small eats" in a fast food format in Shanghai. Along with Din Tai Fung, it sounds like an all-star fast food lineup.

I don't think Whampoa Gourmet as such existed when I worked in HK six years ago. Is it in near the KCR terminus? There seemed to be major construction in that area when I was there.

#52 SteveW

SteveW
  • participating member
  • 754 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:53 PM

Whampoa Gourmet opened fairly recently. I estimate around 2 years ago.

-Steve

Edited by SteveW, 26 November 2003 - 08:57 PM.

#53 HKDave

HKDave
  • participating member
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 01:04 AM

Yes, it's only been there for a couple of years. Gary, it's in the building basically on top of the Whampoa bus terminal, right beside the landlocked concrete boat. Same building as the UA cinema.

Directions for visitors:
Take bus No 8A from Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry Bus Terminal, or take green minibus No 6 in Tsim Sha Tsui (Hankow Road), and alight at the last terminal. Whampoa Gourmet Place is adjacent to the terminal. Go up escalator to the 1st and 2nd floors.
Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

#54 anniewood

anniewood
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 01:52 AM

HKDave,

Have you discovered the two new(ish) Sichuan restaurants in HK?

1. Man Jiang Hong, First Floor, Thai Kong Building, 482 Hennessy Rd., Causeway Bay. Tel: 852-2838-8811. I love the dumplings here... the dumpling casings are fantastic and they don't hold back on peppercorns or chilies (or oil for that matter). Downstairs is a great little shop selling the Sichuan peppercorns and chilies, plus a whole lot of other fascinating Sichuanese products.
2. The Sichuan hotpot restaurant near Wanchai MTR station. If you're standing on Johnson Rd and facing the station entrance, look up to your right, you'll see what looks like a Japanese restaurant--it's on the first, second and third floors of the building on the corner. Its specialty is fish head hotpot. I just can't do the eyes.

There's also the older Q Restaurant at 134 Wan Chai Rd... very basic hole in the wall place that specializes in noodles... fantastic dan dan mian.

#55 HKTraveler

HKTraveler
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:29 AM

Tried that hotpot restaurant twice already. It's OK but the ma la hotpot is not that hot. The fish are pretty good though but I don't really think it is all that much better than any other hot pot place in town.

Have not tried Man Jiang Hong but it is always packed. One of these days, I will give it a try.

#56 HKDave

HKDave
  • participating member
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 12:06 PM

Hi anniewood,
I knew about 'Q' and that hotpot place, but not Man Jiang Hong - thanks for the suggestion! I love dumplings.... also good to know about that shop selling Sichuan ingredients.

The best dan dan mein I've had in HK recently - this is going to sound strange - was in the Cathay Pacific business lounge at HK airport. They have a noodle bar in the lounge (there are 2 lounges, both have noodle bars), and the dan dan mein is great, as long as you spike it with a bit of extra chili oil. I'm trying to find out their recipe, it looks very simple to make but I haven't been able to re-create it.
Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

#57 ecr

ecr
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:28 PM

Sichuan Da Ping Huo is a winner! We are quite picky about our Sichuan food as we have lived in Chengdu, and I am mistrustful of Sichuan dishes served in an "upscale" atmosphere. Don't let the lovely decor, relatively large number of expats and western tourists, and ultra-hip local clientele (more concerned with their Moet, cell phones and walkie-talkies than with the food and their dining companions, it seemed) put you off. This is real Sichuan cooking, not prettified (thought the ingredients are top-notch --- up to and including the fresh not dried "facing-heaven" Sichuan chiles), not degreased (plenty of fiery red oil left on serving plates after the food was consumed, and definately toned down in terms of ma-la heat. Of twelve dishes, 3 were not spicy. Highlights were a classic pork with peppers and black beans (and lovely slivers of Chinese celery and crisp pickled vegetable) and a classic pea green soup (thin, light broth seasoned with black pepper rather than red chili) that reminded me of the best cooking I've had in homes in Chengdu. Dinner ran about 2 1/2 hours, ended with a song by the chef, and cost 250 HK dollars per person, excluding beverage. Given the huge amount of food (not dainty-sized plates, though I probably didn't have to eat ALL of what was swerved to me), impeccable quality of ingredients and preparation, and setting, this is quite a bargain for Hong Kong.
If you speak Mandarin you'll get rather more explanation of the dishes from the owner/artist ---- but you'll still feel quite welcome if you don't.

#58 ecr

ecr
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:30 PM

mistyped --- I meant that the ma-la flavors were *not* toned down at all.

#59 HKDave

HKDave
  • participating member
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 08:09 PM

ecr, thanks for the report, I'll definitely give Da Ping Huo another look - your experience sounds a lot better than others I've heard. BTW, you wouldn't happen to be foodfirst, would you? I saw a similar question to yours on another board. If so, thanks for that great addition to my Saigon post there....

On Saturday I went to both Q and Man Jiang Hong per Anniewood's post (thanks again, Annie!), above, and they're both authentic. Q is a great deal, HK$15 -20 for dan dan and variations thereof (and that's basically all they serve), Man Jiang Hong is a full menu Sichuan restaurant. I bought a jar of Q's 'special sauce' for $50 for making my own dan dan at home, then found basically the same thing 15 minutes later at the shop under Man Jiang Hong for $20 :-(

The people sharing our table at Q recommended another (more upscale?) Sichuan place, which the Q people or their friends apparently own: Sijie Sichuan Dishes, Unit 289, 2/f Kowa Building, 285 Lockhart Road Wanchai, tel: 2802 2250. Haven't tried it out yet, but hope to soon.

And now I must humbly apologize for saying above "I can't recommend anywhere for 'good homestyle' Sichuan food in HK " There definitely are some good options!
Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

#60 ecr

ecr
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 12:58 AM

Ah, duly noted for next trip to HK in a couple months. Maybe we'll make it an "all-Sichuan" trip (with breaks for dim sum). About those dandan mian -- I hope they were the version that do *not* include sesame paste in the sauce?