Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pegu Club

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#91 lostmyshape

lostmyshape
  • participating member
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:26 PM

not that this thread needs another positive Pegu Club reveiw, but why not?

thought that i'd be there with 3, but we picked a few people up along the way. 7 was too many to sit at the bar, unfortunately. got the Little Italy, a variation on a manhattan with rye and cynar. it totally kicks the manhattan's ass. i really need to pick up some cynar and rye (where do i find rye in pittsburgh?). then i had sazerac (after reading a short dave wondrich article in drink? magazine). it was mighty tasty, also. my friends had a variety of drinks, all good.

my wife actually stumped the bartenders by ordering a holland house cocktail. it's sort-of an aviation with genever instead of dry gin that we discovered on the internet cocktail database. i'm not sure what type of genever they're using at pegu, but it wasn't nearly as malty as what we make at home. still good, though.

beautiful place. someone mentioned in another review that the bassy, faux-club/bar music was a little silly, and my party totally agrees. something more exotic might have fit the place a little better, but i didn't go to listen to music. started to get crowded around 10:30, with people almost 3-deep at the bar, but that's what we get for going on a saturday.

said hello to audrey, who seemed to be all business running here and there to direct staff, but was soooo nice.

wish i could have stayed longer, but had people to meet elsewhere. gonna take audrey's suggestion and try to come on a sunday next time, when i might get a bartender all to myself.

sigh, now i'm back in pittsburgh... a city not nearly cool enough for a bar like that. where in the world can you get a good drink in this town?

#92 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:47 AM

Just had another lovely evening at the Pegu Club last night, full of incredible cocktails. The one dark moment was when some guy took my stool when I went to the bathroom...can we say party foul? :angry: :wink:

Started with a Fitty-Fitty, then moved to a Pegu Club cocktail. Followed that with an Applejack Cobbler (which was delicious - picture to come!), which had (to my fuzzy-ish recollection) Laird's, cranberries, and some other stuff, garnished with a violet (or a pansy?). Beautiful.

One question, for anyone who knows (or for Audrey!) - my friend and I both had the Ritz Cocktail, and the bartender held the orange peel over a flame for a minute, and then singed it quickly before tossing it into the drink. What's the purpose of this? Just to release the essential oils in the peel? It was really good.
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#93 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

Holding the twist (the size and shape of a quarter) over a flame dries excess moisture, and primes the essential oils for carmalization. Carelizing the essential oils creates a rounder, deeper flavor. Think of the difference between sugar and carmel. And it's cool to set stuff on fire.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#94 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:26 PM

Twas there last night...ordered an Aviation and the bartender suggested a variation known as the Blue Moon (as well as giving a brief exposition on its origin)...it was terrific.

#95 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

What's the purpose of this? Just to release the essential oils in the peel? It was really good.

What Alchemist said is true, but it's also part of the show! Bartender Magic tricks!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#96 brooklyncook

brooklyncook
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:29 PM

Went there last night hoping to get a Tom & Jerry, but there was none available. Instead, I opted for the Velvet Harvest, which was fantastic.

According to the bartender that served my girlfriend and I, they'll have Tom & Jerry's "more available" in the future -- and it's better to get there early in the evening in order to procure one.

#97 bergerka

bergerka
  • participating member
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:00 PM

Was there last night as well with a few friends - I had the Velvet Harvest too, YUM - I love pear - and then a Blinker, which is pretty AND tasty.

We sat at a table, for once, because there was no room at the bar for all of us (we were five total). I wish I could remember our server's name - she was from Australia. She was fantastic and very interesting to talk to.
Basil endive parmesan shrimp live
Lobster hamster worchester muenster
Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi
Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert
Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks
Provolone flatbread goat's head soup
Gruyere cheese angelhair please
And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.
--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

#98 M.X.Hassett

M.X.Hassett
  • legacy participant
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

Sorry I missed all of you last night. My new favorite of the menu is the Little Italy the luxardo cherries rock.
Matthew Xavier Hassett aka "M.X.Hassett"

"Cocktail is a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water, and bitters-it is vulgarly called bittered sling and is supposed to be an exellent electioneering potion..."
- Balance and Columbian Repository. May 13, 1806

#99 docsconz

docsconz
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:53 AM

Great place. I was part of Kathleen's party. The drinks were superb. I particularly enjoyed the Applejack Cobbler.
John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."
- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

#100 JosephB

JosephB
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:05 AM

I was also there on Thursday evening, and had a lovely time.

#101 philadining

philadining
  • society donor
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:06 AM

Not much to add here except to concur that this is a great place. On a rainy, holiday monday it was really empty, but it still had a very cool vibe. Loved the drinks (we had a Pegu and on of those Jamaican Ginger thingies...) and it's always a blast to run into fellow eGulleteers, in this case MX and the mysterious Vadouvan...

Can't wait to go back.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

#102 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

I was there last Friday, had one to many I think. :wacko:

We were there pretty early ~6 ish and it was maybe 25% full. By the time we left around 8, it was 70% full.

Rumor had it that slkinsey was going to make an appearance there for New Years Eve.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#103 M.X.Hassett

M.X.Hassett
  • legacy participant
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:27 PM

Let me add that it was great meeting Vadouvan and Philadining. As alway the drinks and company were wonderful. Also New Years was a superb and low key affair. Let me suggest that you try "The Rowe" a stellar cocktail created by Pegu's own Brian.

"Cocktail is a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water, and bitters-it is vulgarly called bittered sling and is supposed to be an exellent electioneering potion..."

#104 bergerka

bergerka
  • participating member
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:36 PM

slkinsey and I were both there New Year's Eve, in fact (sitting right next to M.X. Hassett, who has fabulous hair).

I really, really, really wish I could remember what all I had to drink. The combination of horrible jet lag and, well, New Year's Eve has wiped my mental hard drive, it seems.

Anyone who was with me remember?
Basil endive parmesan shrimp live
Lobster hamster worchester muenster
Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi
Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert
Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks
Provolone flatbread goat's head soup
Gruyere cheese angelhair please
And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.
--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

#105 philadining

philadining
  • society donor
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:40 PM

OK, Matt, you can tell us, we're your friends... are you living in Pegu's coat check room?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

#106 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

OK, Matt, you can tell us, we're your friends... are you living in Pegu's coat check room?

View Post

Maybe THAT'S why my coat looked so wrinkled last time I got it back! :laugh:

I think Matt actually lives under the bar.
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#107 M.X.Hassett

M.X.Hassett
  • legacy participant
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:59 PM

Damn my cover has been blown. I only nap under the bar, the coatcheck is where my cot is. :laugh:

Kathleen: thanks for the hair compliment, I think yours looked great also.
Megan: Sorry just send me the dry-cleaning bill
philadining: Now everyone will want to move into my comfy little coatcheck room

#108 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

I wasn't there NYE, but I was speaking to Brian Friday and he mentioned there would be a visit by Sam on NYE. He was preparing for a busy evening. I can only imagine the hangovers that resulted at the conclusion of the evening.

Megan, I know Brian is working Thursday, so we may be in for the same.

John
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#109 Rob Simmon

Rob Simmon
  • participating member
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:34 PM

I've been making it a habit to visit Pegu every time I'm in New York (only twice since it opened so far, I'm hardly a jet-setter) since I enjoy it so much. Exquisite cocktails, both original creations (unfortunately I've forgtten specific names), standards (Ramos Gin Fizz, garnished with cardamom), and antique (The Last Word). Already looking forward to my next trip.

#110 M.X.Hassett

M.X.Hassett
  • legacy participant
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:17 PM

Pegu voted "The best new cocktail bar" by the readers of Time Out NY. Congrats

#111 kumquatmay

kumquatmay
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:57 PM

just went with a few folks for cocktails yesterday on the basis of all y'all's reccomendations, and LOVE.

I think those are some of the most friendly and helpful bartenders I've ever encountered. At one point I asked what one of the ingredients in one of the drinks was, and not only did my new best friend the bartender explain it was artichoke based, but he poured me a taste. Very cool place, and beautifully done in all aspects.

and now I need to go get me some orange bitters so I can make myself a fitty fitty at home.

#112 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

And you can get the bitters right there too! I fell in love with Pegu the last time I was in New York, and I brought back two kinds of orange bitters from there as well.
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#113 banquo

banquo
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:41 PM

I went to here for the first time last Tuesday and love it so much I went back Thursday night, and will probably end up there this Saturday. It was a completely different vibe on Tuesday as on Thursday. Much more relaxed and quieter on Tuesday. Tonight it was quite crowded and the music was turned on louder. I can see myself fitting in on either night, but Tuesday is definitely more my thing. The drinks, as many have said, are incredible. I haven't had a drop of gin in 10 years (don't ask), but decided to try some of their gin based drinks--and I love them all. Their martini almost dropped me to the floor, because the alcohol sort of sneaks up on you. I would also recommend the fitty fitty and the drink with their house made ginger beer (I could imagine a summer fling with that drink). If you have hesitated to go to this place for whatever reason (inexplicably, I was), go now!

#114 donbert

donbert
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:37 PM

... my new best friend the bartender explain it was artichoke based...

View Post

Most likely Cynar, an Italian artichoke based bitter liquor. It's great to use it in place of Campari for an interesting change of pace.

#115 kumquatmay

kumquatmay
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:25 AM

... my new best friend the bartender explain it was artichoke based...

View Post

Most likely Cynar, an Italian artichoke based bitter liquor. It's great to use it in place of Campari for an interesting change of pace.

View Post

yep, I think that was it. Very interesting taste!

#116 Snowy is dead

Snowy is dead
  • participating member
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:21 PM

Went to pegu on my recent first time NY trip. everything was excellent. Bought myself some of Regan's bitters (can't get them in my area.) Had some excellent cocktails. I really liked the atmosphere. It was very warm and welcoming. The staff were all excellent, informative, and professional. I've never seen a bartender shake two drinks that fast before. My pineapple pisco sour had a perfect head on it, like meringue. Who wants to open a club near Boston for me?

Sean

#117 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:59 PM

Realized I never posted my blog photos of Pegu drinks here! For those who are interested...this is a Last Word:

Posted Image

And this is my friend Cristin's Jamaican Firefly!

Posted Image

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#118 chefboy24

chefboy24
  • legacy participant
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:22 PM

i went last night with this guy i'm dating.
definitely delicious cocktails...

i think i had the whiskey smash and then a manhattan with rye and some specific kind of bitters....

my boy had compass box whiskey, asyla, upon my recommendation, which i think is the world's most delicious whiskey, hands down. and then a tasty gin martini, with cucumber slices, which was nice.

my manhattan was pretty good, altho i think i didn't really prefer it to a makers manhattan up with 3 cherries made by any decent bartender.....

the whiskey smash was pretty cool, i can't remember what was in it except whiskey, mint, bitters, maybe orange?

the ice cubes are phenominal. huge. they don't melt.

but is this idea so revolutionary? huge ice cubes? fresh juices, soda out of glass?

surely someone else in new york can do it at that level with a better view then houston street and a sexier room?

my server wasn't really warm and genuine. she was sort of bitchy, for lack of a better word. well, i can think of a better word, but it may not be apropriate for some of the people who read and post on this messageboard.

then again, pegu club may be very serious around 1 am, i went around 7 pm....

Edited by chefboy24, 08 June 2006 - 05:24 PM.

#119 donbert

donbert
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

my server wasn't really warm and genuine. she was sort of bitchy, for lack of a better word.  well, i can think of a better word, but it may not be apropriate for some of the people who read and post on this messageboard.

then again, pegu club may be very serious around 1 am, i went around 7 pm....

If you want serious, sit at the bar. It is a totally different experience. Earlier is better too, as is avoiding fri and sat night.

edited for spelling

Edited by donbert, 09 June 2006 - 07:19 AM.

#120 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

Yup. The waitresses are kind of "eh," in my experience. The bar is where it's at.

Queenie Takes Manhattan