Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Hot Pastrami in Houston

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eagleton_g

eagleton_g
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:43 PM

Where in Houston can you get a good hot pastrami sandwich. You know mounds of pastrami on rye with gobs of spicy mustard. We lack a "little Italy" in Houston. Donde deli?

#2 Kevin72

Kevin72
  • society donor
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:15 PM

Kahn's Deli in Rice Village is, to me, the end-all, be-all of deli sandwich heaven. Back in The Day, I could put a whole reuben down myself, now I need my wife to pitch in.
Bring a note from your cardiologist!

#3 SuperLuckyCat

SuperLuckyCat
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

Kenny & Ziggys? Do they have it? That's where I go for corned beef and they have excellent real rye bread and mustard. I have never ordered a hot pastrami there, but it seems to be the sort of place where it would rule.

#4 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:47 AM

Kenny & Ziggys?  Do they have it?  That's where I go for corned beef and they have excellent real rye bread and mustard.  I have never ordered a hot pastrami there, but it seems to be the sort of place where it would rule.

View Post

They sure do. They have a whole selection of huge deli sandwiches. I also second the recomendation for Khan's.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#5 JetLag

JetLag
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:14 PM

Khan's is king. Better than K&Z's, just don't go to Katz's, it's not a real deli at all even though it claims to be one. Take the word of a NYC kid. The only other deli close to NYC delis, Gugenheim's, closed a few years ago.

#6 SuperLuckyCat

SuperLuckyCat
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:16 PM

I agree about Katz, so gross. I'm still recovering from the horror of a "beef bacon" sandwich there last year. If I'm going to gorge on deli meat it's always K&Z, but now I will try Khan.

#7 Dignan

Dignan
  • participating member
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:34 PM

Another vote for Kahn's. I can never finish a whole one, which is fine by me cause I'll finish it later.

#8 jscarbor

jscarbor
  • participating member
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:36 PM

I thought it was foresaken that Kahns was the only place. I'm surprised by the K&Z references, they are ok but Kahns rocks the casbah.

#9 Kevin72

Kevin72
  • society donor
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:35 AM

I'm liking all this Kahn's love in here.

#10 Bill Miller

Bill Miller
  • participating member
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:22 PM

I'm liking all this Kahn's love in here.

View Post

I love K&Z's but must try Kahn's. Where is it?
Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

#11 Kevin72

Kevin72
  • society donor
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:01 PM

2429 Rice Blvd.
Houston, TX
(713) 529-2891
kahnsdeli.com

Edited to add:
It's in Rice Village, on the right if you're coming onto Rice from Kirby. Very small, narrow storefront; you may miss it at first.

Edited by Kevin72, 01 September 2005 - 04:08 AM.