Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

David Drake

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#91 FaxMachineAnthem

FaxMachineAnthem
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

For fellow cheapskates, gift certificates for Alice's Restaurant are available on Restaurant.com.

http://www.restauran...93&mcn=00074662

For those unfamiliar, you can buy a $25 gift cert (really a coupon) for $10 on restaurant.com. And with some googling it's usually easy to find a promo code that drops it from $10 to $5 or so.

#92 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:33 AM

well i asked my husband to take me here last night for my birthday. i wish i had followed my own rule and gone by myself for lunch - it would have saved me a lot of unhappy feelings and a fight with my very buzzed husband.

first the good - the place looks fabulous. we were greeted and seated promptly. our cocktail order was taken. he had a margarita with a better tequila, i had an elderflower cocktail that was very, very nice. john ordered the codfish cake and the hand cut fettuccine with fire roasted tomatoes, olive, fresh herbs, etc. he said they were both very, very good. they provided the table with a bottle each of still and sparkling water.

now the not so good - i ordered 2 small plates of things i love to eat - beef and potato empanadas and onion rings. when they came out i ate one of the empanadas. the filling was really good. one of the best i have eaten and i have eaten these all over morris county. the crust not so much - by the time i finished the first one the crust was getting soggy. i tried to eat an onion ring. they were pipping hot - just as they should be but as i picked it up my hands felt greasy. i tried another and the same thing. as they sat there you could see the grease soaking the paper that lined the basket. this was very frustating since i was seeing that other diners were getting things like french fries that didn't look greasy.

i didn't say anything to our server since she never came by to ask how things were. she didn't show up until my husband had finished all of his meal and then she just asked if we wanted anything wrapped - and i was sitting there with basically an untouched basket of onion rings and two of three empanadas. when we said no she removed the food and, 10 minutes later, we asked a passing bus person to have her bring us the check. i was also under orders from my husband to say nothing because he wanted to take the tomatoes he couldn't finish home and he didn't want the kitchen staff to spit in them. and i shouldn't take it out on the server. and i should be glad there was even food on my plate. and maybe i'm too flipping picky about my food. and maybe the fat americans love their onion rings with grease dripping down to their elbows. did i mention that he had a glass of wine with his dinner?

over all i think from seeing what other diners had i think i made bad food choices. would i give it another try? maybe but ALONE!!
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#93 Susan

Susan
  • participating member
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

Is David Drake still at Alice's Restaurant?
Susan

#94 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

i dont' know but he is still listed on the menu as the chef. maybe he did an overhaul then split?
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#95 sjr3

sjr3
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

$35 is very reasonable for a restaurant the calibur of David Drake's. Where do you dine that you find cheaper wines?