Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

David Drake

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

Another wonderful meal at David Drakes. It was my department's (belated) holiday lunch, and my boss treated my coworker and me. You can guess who chose the restaurant!

Posted Image
My boss got "The Chef's Salad" - maytag blue, greens, haricot vert, parmesan, walnuts, aged balsamic vinegar.

Posted Image
My coworker and I shared this "Terrine of Foie Gras and Duck Confit", poached seckel pear, pear essence, pickled shallots. Yum.

Posted Image
My coworker got "Panko Crusted Cod Cakes" with pickled red pearl onions, mixed greens, caper sauce. He let me taste it - it was terrific.

Posted Image
My boss got "Sautéed Line Caught Monkfish" with shrimp hash, celery root purée, lemon thyme, bouillabaisse sauce. She let me taste it - wow! I would order that.

Posted Image
My lunch - Hand cut fettuccini, grilled scallop slices, steelhead caviar, carrot-shiso salad, carrot caramel. It was incredible.

Posted Image
A better view.

Posted Image
My coworker and I shared a dessert. It was the "Chocolate Parfait" with roasted peanut biscuit, caramel, chocolate creameux and peanut brittle ice cream. Even my boss (who eats like a bird and rarely eats sweets) couldn't resist taking a few tastes.

Posted Image
The chef sent out some little treats. Macaroons with dark chocolate bits and strawberry gelee. My boss ate a macaroon before I thought to take a pic! She also ate the strawberry gelee after I took the pic, so you know it had to be special.

Have I mentioned lately that DD's is my favorite restaurant? I think I'm due.

:raz:
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

#62 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 543 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:32 AM

Whoo! I'm going for dinner tonite...hubby looked at the website and drooled over the short ribs, hopefully they will be on the menu!
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#63 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

Whoo! I'm going for dinner tonite...hubby looked at the website and drooled over the short ribs, hopefully they will be on the menu!

View Post

Be sure to report back!

I was looking at their menu last night and I am really excited about their tasting menu. Sounded great - I'd want to try everything!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

#64 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:41 AM

Had a fantastic dinner last night, first visit to David Drake and we will definitely come back. Most of the items are on the web site, some menu items slightly different. No pic's...
Amuse- mini cod cake (tasty, perfectly crunchy)
Appetizer- I had the celery root/pear soup. Very tasty, it was garnished with sweet little mushrooms and walnut. Not sweet, and I didn't actually taste pear until the bottom of the bowl. Husband had shrimp risotto which came with a nice garlic broth.
Entree- I had the honey roasted duck breast. Nicely done, cooked more medium than rare, very tender. Crispy delicious skin. Root vegetable fricasse had spaghetti squash (formed into a "bowl") with bits of lobster, baby beet, baby brussel sprout, and carrot. Served w/tamarind sauce.
Husband had a roasted flatiron steak, served with red wine sauce. Looked like a nice piece of meat, tender.
We each just had one glass of wine, I had the sauvignon blanc and he had the malbec. Very nice.
Amuse after entree: chilled green apple soup with blue cheese foam served in shot glasses - fantastic. Tangy and refreshing.
Dessert: I had papaya consumme, which was different than the description on the web site. They present a bowl with the dessert layered in the center (roasted pineapple bits, lime creme fraiche, coconut ice cream) then pour the papaya into the bowl. Very good, flavorful and not overly sweet. Husband had the chocolate parfait (a very popular option) which Randi has pictured above).
Extra: plate of fruit jelly and little cookies
Extra #2: husband had told them it was my birthday when making the reservation and I got a special plate with a cookie made in a grid pattern topped with a "tube" of strawberry mousse filled with mango puree.
Overall an excellent experience, service was great. We sat at the round table in the corner by the fireplace, which was nice because it gets you a little outside the "traffic path". Some of the tables are pretty close together.

#65 unleash

unleash
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:12 AM

Today's Star Ledger Morris County edition gave David Drake 4 stars.

Edited by unleash, 04 March 2007 - 08:13 AM.

#66 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

DD is having a promotion through March (extended from Feb):

We would like to encourage current patrons of our restaurant to bring friends that have not yet dined here. On Mondays through Thursdays, we will discount 25% off of the entire check , including tasting menus! (minimum of 4 people, maximum of 6 people).

This is an offer that truly benefits all involved. It gives you an excuse to indulge yourselves by dining with us during the week instead of fighting to get in on the weekend. For us it's a great opportunity to have new guests discover our "gem" of a restaurant where you might least expect to, right here in downtown Rahway!

Please mention that you received this offer when making a reservation to ensure that the discount is applied properly. We hope you can come and take advantage of this offer.

I'm dying to go, but I've already brought most of my friends. :raz:

Edited by Randi, 06 March 2007 - 09:59 PM.

#67 lmkennedy53

lmkennedy53
  • participating member
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

DD is having a promotion through March (extended from Feb):

We would like to encourage current patrons of our restaurant to bring friends that have not yet dined here. On Mondays through Thursdays, we will discount 25% off of the entire check , including tasting menus! (minimum of 4 people, maximum of 6 people).

This is an offer that truly benefits all involved. It gives you an excuse to indulge yourselves by dining with us during the week instead of fighting to get in on the weekend. For us it's a great opportunity to have new guests discover our "gem" of a restaurant where you might least expect to, right here in downtown Rahway!

Please mention that you received this offer when making a reservation to ensure that the discount is applied properly. We hope you can come and take advantage of this offer.

I'm dying to go, but I've already brought most of my friends. :raz:

View Post

Pretend you are with friends who have never been to DDs before!! I'll never tell!!!! :wink:
Lori

#68 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

It's been way too long since I've been to David Drakes. A friend is coming in from out of town this weekend and we've got reservations for Saturday night.

We're going get the tasting menu, order one of each selection, and share. I can't wait!

#69 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:17 PM

I'm a little late posting these, but better late than never! As I mentioned above, we each chose the 6 course tasting menu with wine pairings and shared everything.

I am just beginning to have an appreciation for fine wine, and I really enjoyed the wine pairings. We each got 2 glasses for each course so they were able to split each wine selection as well as the food. Unfortunately I don't have a list of the wines we tried. But they were wonderful.

Take a look at the food:

Posted Image
An amuse-bouche. Left: Fresh Oyster on the Half Shell with champagne granité, topped with a little smoked steelhead caviar. Center: Seared New York State Foie Gras with roasted pineapple quince, red grape, and a port wine reduction. Right: (I don't have an actual description of this, so I'm winging it) - Grilled Octopus over marinated onions and olives.

When they put this in front of me, I felt like an Iron Chef judge. Sometimes I wonder how they eat all that stuff. Anyhow, I am not a raw seafood fan, not an octopus fan, and sometimes I have issues with the texture of foie gras. But I figured, if i am going to eat these things, this is the place to do it! The oyster was actually delicious! The caviar was a nice touch. The foie gras was one of the best bites of the evening.

Posted Image
This is a Cannelloni of Applewood Smoked Salmon with celery root remoulade salad, fried capers and leek sauce. Delicious.

Posted Image
This is a Terrine of Foie Gras and Duck Confit with plum-onion confiture and a balsamic reduction. The terrine has a firmer texture, which I really like. And the confit - yum. This is one of my favorite dishes at David Drake's. Just heavenly.

Posted Image
Here are our wine glasses - the pour was just the right amount for the small tasting of each dish.

Posted Image
Fall Squash Bisque with PEI mussels, saffron and toasted pumpkin seeds. This was AMAZING. The toasty crunch of the pumpkin seeds made this dish.

Posted Image
Chilled Apple Soup Duo with Maine crab meat salad, creme fraiche and lemon balm. The wine was getting to us - my friend began to stir this before I was able to snap the pic! I liked the soup but the bar had been raised after tasting the squash bisque.

Posted Image
Atlantic Cod with yukon gold potato purée, chanterelles, haricot vert and a chanterelle sauce. The potatoes were silky and creamy. Dreamy!

Posted Image
Miso-Kaffir Lime Poached Lobster with crispy eel, salsify, cardoons and braised romaine. This dish was my biggest disappointment. The lobster itself was barely cooked - I don't like rare lobster, unfortunately. And I dislike miso, so this dish was doomed. The eel was actually better than the lobster, and I wasn't exactly crazy about the eel. :raz:

Posted Image
Steamed duck egg (already cut in half, but photographed from behind) with polenta croutons, plum tomatoes and chipotle foam. See below to see the interior...

Posted Image
As I mentioned we had cut this in half before getting the pic (we blame the wine!) but that's not a bad thing. You can see the interior this way. I thought that "steamed duck egg" sounded boring but much to my surprise - it was one of the best bites of the night. The yolk was so rich and creamy. Very luxurious. And the chipotle foam added just a hint of heat. Just awesome.

Posted Image
Squab Ballotine with carmague red rice, cauliflower purée and juniper sauce. Again, we split this dish before taking the pic. This isn't how it was served, we'd replated on the smaller plate they brought us so we could share each course. The squab was excellent. I especially loved the crispy skin.

Posted Image
Pan Roasted Venison Loin with ricotta gnocchi, brussels sprouts, plum coulis. Terrific!!

Posted Image
Braised Short Ribs with sweet potato purée, toasted pecans, pomegranate reduction. Very nice dish! The short ribs melt in your mouth and the sweet potatoes? Once again, so silky and just perfect with the pecans and the pomegranate seeds.

Posted Image
A pumpkin nutmeg shooter - oooh la la! This tasted like pumpkin eggnog. I could drink a full cup of this. OK, a vat. This was sent out compliments of the pastry chef.

Posted Image
The Cheese Course was very nice. My fave was the one on the left - it was a camembert, I think. Very runny and mild. I wish I had a list of the cheeses. Or even better - a good memory!

Posted Image
Dessert was Papaya Consommé with macerated mango and pineapple, lime creme fraiche and coconut ice cream. Very refreshing. Would have liked more than half of the tasting portion!!

Another incredible (and gorgeous) meal at David Drake's.

Edited by Randi, 05 November 2007 - 07:19 PM.

#70 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

Interesting thread over on another site (aka, the 'hounds)...
seems that several people who have been to DD in the past couple of months have found the experience to be lacking recently vs. before Daryl (the new place) in New Brunswick opened...say it ain't so!
It's given me some pause, since I was considering a return visit for my b-day and funds are tight...we enjoyed our meal so much last year...
Anyone have any recent experiences?

Edited by BeeZee, 15 January 2008 - 09:42 AM.

#71 FaxMachineAnthem

FaxMachineAnthem
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:15 AM

That's interesting you say that, because my wife and I just went to DD for the first time two weeks ago and were a tad disappointed. Everything was fine, a couple things were very good, but nothing wowed us. The desserts in particular were a little boring. We're not exactly experienced gourmets, but we've been to Blu a few times and we felt that the dishes at Blu were on another level than at David Drake, on this occasion at least. I do have to say though, the atmosphere and service at David Drake were the best of any restaurant we've been to and we still had a very good time. But for the price and reputation, we expected to be more impressed by the dishes.

Interesting thread over on another site (aka, the 'hounds)...
seems that several people who have been to DD in the past couple of months have found the experience to be lacking recently vs. before Daryl (the new place) in New Brunswick opened...say it ain't so!
It's given me some pause, since I was considering a return visit for my b-day and funds are tight...we enjoyed our meal so much last year...
Anyone have any recent experiences?

View Post

Edited by FaxMachineAnthem, 17 January 2008 - 07:17 AM.

#72 jeffreys1

jeffreys1
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

I have been going to DD about once a month since they opened. We ate there Saturday night and it was as good as ever. David was in the kitchen and wowed us all as usual.

#73 CiriloE

CiriloE
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

I have been going to DD about once a month since they opened.  We ate there Saturday night and it was as good as ever. David was in the kitchen and wowed us all as usual.

View Post

I agree. We ate there last night. Great time as usual.

Cirilo
"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

#74 EmilyG

EmilyG
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

I am glad to hear that some are still enjoying DD. I have reservations to go for Valentines Day and have been really looking forward to it!

Do either of you have any specific recommendations?

I will be sure to put in my two cents after I've been.

#75 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

Made it back to David Drake's this past week. Got to sample his current menu just before the fall changeover.

I hadn't been there in a while and I was pleased to see the neighborhood looking much nicer. The hotel next door (an Indigo) was finished and it made a big difference. I like the atmosphere of the area now, and I am sure that, along with the hotel clientele, must be good for business. I'm really glad.

I took a friend for her birthday. I got the 5 course tasting and she got an app, main and dessert. Photos follow:

Posted Image
An amuse bouche of octopus and garlic aioli. Very tasty, tender and obviously garlicky.

Posted Image
Crispy Potato Gnocchi with forest mushrooms, oven dried tomatoes and arugula. Really good! I am not usually impressed with gnocchi, but I was impressed!

Posted Image
um. yum. damn. This is a Terrine of Foie Gras (on the right) and peach gelee (on the left) with upland cress and a muscat reduction streaked across the top of the plate. Swoon-worthy. Seriously.

Posted Image
This is a Red Bell Pepper Bisque with goat cheese cream and garlic croutons. Really good, fresh-tasting, warm and satisfying.

Posted Image
Seared Sea Scallop with Pork Belly. This is the tasting portion. Every bite of the crispy pork belly transported me a happy place. Can you tell I loved it?

Posted Image
My friend chose the same dish as her entree. It was triple the size (I was envious of her 3 slabs of pork belly!) Oh - the rest of the dish description - it was served with braised leek, saffron potato and sauce romesco. (For those unfamiliar - romesco sauce is traditionally made with hazelnuts and/or almonds, bits of fried bread, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, sherry and paprika.)

Posted Image
My main (but still a tasting portion) was the Slow Cooked Rib Eye with warm German potato salad, wilted greens and a Riesling reduction. That's an onion ring on top. And yes, bits of bacon in the potato salad. See next photo for the inside scoop!

Posted Image
I cut into the steak and it was a juicy medium rare (on the rare side). And delicious, by the way.

Posted Image
The chef sent out a palate cleanser - a small glass of orange/lemon slush. It was refreshing and did the trick!

Posted Image
Coffee Panna Cotta with carmelized bananas and Sambuca foam. Those little round beads had a cookie texture.

Posted Image
I got the Lemon-Scented Chocolate Tart with Vanilla Creme Fraiche, salted caramel and pistachio dust. The chocolate tart was amazing, with a rich, deep chocolate taste and smooth, dense texture. Not sure where the salted caramel was unless it was the streak on the plate, which was dry and really not able to be tasted. Overall this was a delicious dessert.

Posted Image
The chef sent out a treat for my friend's birthday - tres leches cake. It was wonderfully milky and had a kind of almondy flavor!

Posted Image
The chef also sent our a pair of little sweet biscuits with the check. I think one was almond the other raspberry. Another nice treat!

Another wonderful meal at David Drakes. My only negative comment might be that the cost of the 5 course tasting was high in comparison to the a la carte menu. My friend's 3 full sized dishes totalled $50 ($13 for the app, $27 for the main, and $10 for dessert), but my 5 small tasting portions were $85. I realize there is extra work preparing 5 dishes, and I got to taste 5 dishes that way, but I think the significant extra cost (70% more!) was not justified.

#76 viejomajadero

viejomajadero
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hi All

Went last night to David Drake for a 9th Anniversary dinner.

First, was a little put off by the neighborhood. But once inside I found the place very charming. We were put at a tiny table for two in a room set with three tables. Only one other ended up being occupied. My wife found the room too cold and with the nearby door to the outside opening and closing a lot last night it was a problem.

We made our reservation through OpenTable. Open Table allows for notes to be sent to the restaurant. Advised them that this was a wedding anniversary and I wanted it to be a special evening and that my wife is allergic to peanuts. To which Brian Maher GM replied, "Your allergy concerns will be noted and your server will alert the kitchen. as well as guide you to appropriate selections not containing any peanut products."

Well, I could have just walked in from the street. Even when I asked about the 100 points I was to earn from Open Table they were clueless.

All of this would be unimportant because to me the important thing is the food first and service second.

Our waiter, Bob S. according to the check, never introduced himself. Discussed water and menu changes, and I told waiter to select wine by the glass for each of my dishes.

Wife and I both picked the same appetizer, "SALAD OF WARM DUCK CONFIT bitter greens, horseradish dressing, sliced baby beets $13". Wife felt it lacked something. I felt it was good, plenty of duck, nice balance of flavors, would have liked a little more dressing tossed in, but not an exceptional dish. Matched wine was a slightly sweet Reisling, a pretty good balance to the bitterness of the greens.

For my Main I chose, "SEARED SEA SCALLOPS AND PORK BELLY
braised leek, saffron potato, sauce romesco $29". Found the scallops too lightly seared to develop flavor, but was cooked properly to retain moistness. Pork belly was done perfectly, crispy, and a good play to the scallop. But found the romesco sauce much too tomato(y) and not even a hint of saffron was detected. The Brully chosen by the waiter was also a very good choice.

My wifes Main was "BARRAMUNDI FILET celery root and cauliflower purée, roasted portabello, vincotto reduction $26". My wife liked the dish but again felt it was not exceptional. She gave me a taste. Loved the perfectly crispy skin and moist fish flesh underneath, but agreed there was no wow factor to the dish. The waiters choice of Cornu Bourgogne Rouge worked well with the flavors.

Wife ordered for dessert, "SWEET LIME RISOTTO tropical salsa, coconut sorbet, thai basil." $10. We both agreed this was the hit of the evening. Very creative with outstanding latin flavors. Risotto perfectly cooked just a hair past al dente in a lime flavored cream.

I ordered a Cappucino. $6. Found it wimpy watery.

Found the staff, Waiter - Did his job well but needs to personalize his service with the customer a little more, develop a "Table Side" manner to steal from the old Dr adage. The two Mexican bus people, dressed in crisp white uniforms, were perfect. They performed their duties very professionally. A young lady originally from California also helped with clearing duties. She had a perfect personallity for dealing with the public. I found her charming and cute, and reminded me of our brat number two who waited tables in Philadelphia.

Lastly, I e-mailed this was an anniverary. Asked that this be a special night. We exchanged cards at the table and had them on display. Nothing!! Not even a congratulations.

All in all, not a destination to return to.

Viejo
"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

#77 Curlz

Curlz
  • participating member
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

Can you DD fans (helloooo, Randi!) tell me your favorite tables/why? The owner of our company (a ridiculously particular man) thinks DD is one of his favorite new places, but he was saying that he's not sure about sitting in one room vs. the other.

Fwiw, he prefers a square or round table vs. one where 2-3 people sit on each side. (I said he was PARTICULAR)...in any case, your suggestions/reasoning would be greatly appreciated, as I've never been there.

Thanks in advance!
"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

#78 jeffreys1

jeffreys1
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

Can you DD fans (helloooo, Randi!) tell me your favorite tables/why?  The owner of our company (a ridiculously particular man) thinks DD is one of his favorite new places, but he was saying that he's not sure about sitting in one room vs. the other. 

Fwiw, he prefers a square or round table vs. one where 2-3 people sit on each side.  (I said he was PARTICULAR)...in any case, your suggestions/reasoning would be greatly appreciated, as I've never been there.

Thanks in advance!

View Post

Sitting downstairs he would prefer (as I do) the room on your right as you enter, the room on your left is narrow with several seats on each side of the tables. Upstairs, the side with the bar has only small 2 person tables. The other side has both types.

#79 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

In all the times I've been there (and there have been many!) I've only ever sat in the room to the right, the one Jeffrey described.

My favorite table there is the one in the far right corner as you enter the room. Not sure why - I just like it best! It's a square table that seats 4.

#80 Rail Paul

Rail Paul
  • participating member
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

In all the times I've been there (and there have been many!) I've only ever sat in the room to the right, the one Jeffrey described.

My favorite table there is the one in the far right corner as you enter the room.  Not sure why - I just like it best!  It's a square table that seats 4.

View Post

That table is quite nice, as is the (usually) round table in the same room. As you enter the room on the right, this table is on the sidewalk side, in front of the large window. Seats five or six.

The fireplace projects slightly into the room, which gives both of these tables a slight barrier from the rest of the room (all of four other tables).
Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

#81 Curlz

Curlz
  • participating member
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

Great info...thanks very much!
Curlz
"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

#82 scarlet knight

scarlet knight
  • participating member
  • 422 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:24 AM

We make our David Drake debut tonight. What did people enjoy on the current menu?

#83 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

Sadly, I haven't been there since September. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I hope you love it!

#84 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

We make our David Drake debut tonight. What did people enjoy on the current menu?

View Post

...Anxiously awaiting your report. Hope it was wonderful!

#85 scarlet knight

scarlet knight
  • participating member
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

Yes, David Drake is an exceptional restaurant.

The ambience is great. We were a group of six and we were seated in a small room with two other tables for two. It was like having a private room. The decor is very attractive. The service is attentive, respectful and the service of the plates is well-choreographed to insure simultaneous serving of all table members (no such thing as "Who ordered the filet mignon" here). Impressive, although this shouldn't be so hard to do.

On to the food.Three of us had halibut over peas and cavatelli with a dash of pesto. It was light and refreshing and a dish that seemed suited for spring. Another of us had seared scallops that looked great. A relative had squab, which he enjoyed but he said that he was a small squab. The other ordered entree was a flat iron steak at the other end of the table, which my brother-in-law liked.

The wine list was extensive. We had a Sancerre that we enjoy at home and it was a hit with the group.

Slight disappointments: no pork, veal or chicken on the menu. Did have rabbit, duck breast and squab, which are more unusual. We were a group of six and they automatically added 18.7% to the bill. Why do this ? I would have left 20% or more. Do large tables really stiff the staff? Also, no disrespect to Rahway, but the area seems to be in disrepair and the locals do not appear to be prospective customers for restaurant. Good for Rahway if this restaurant helps their economy, but the restaurant seems out of character for the neighborhood. It's not an affluent area. Don't mean to be a snob.

We all enjoyed the experience and we will return. My cousins want to bring business associates. I recommend it as one of the best restuarants in NJ and on a par with many in NYC.

#86 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I need to get back there sometime soon.

#87 Curlz

Curlz
  • participating member
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

Randi, to the white courtesy phone... Randi, to the white courtesy phone...

#88 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

he is cooking up here in northern morris/southern sussex county at a place called Alice's overlooking lake hopatcong. ny times review here:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/nyregion/10dinenj.html
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#89 Randi

Randi
  • participating member
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

Randi, to the white courtesy phone... Randi, to the white courtesy phone...

Thanks, Curlz. I'm in mourning. :sad:

I had no idea - a friend told me today. I knew I'd get the scoop here, and I did.

Would be nice if he reopened. But I'm thinking it could be years till the economy can support a place like his. I wonder how Nicholas is doing. I did go there on Thanksgiving (guess I need to post the pics!)

Yikes, I feel like I am cheating on dD.

I need to make the hike to Alice's.

#90 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

maybe when i am post recovery we should see if we can have a group dinner at alices?
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)