Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Composed Salads--Cook-Off 12

Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#61 Grub

Grub
  • legacy participant
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:22 AM

I went traditional - Cobb Salad.  But as I was uploading my picture I shouted, "Damn I forgot the hard boiled eggs!!!"

View Post

Dude, you inspired me...

For some reason, what you said never registered with me -- but I DID notice that there were no hard-boiled eggs in your Cobb salad... I figured hey, maybe he doesn't like it. It's not as if you have to totally follow the recipe, anyhow. Right.

Then, as I sat there, it just dawned on me -- I forgot the blue freakin' cheese! Argh! I mean, the salad is fine without eggs I'm sure, but the cheese, that lovely blue cheese, that brings a LOT to it.

D'oh!

Oh well...

Posted Image

#62 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

That Cobb Salad inspired me too - looks like the perfect end-of-winter salad for our family now in New Zealand!

As for dressings, I tend to dress each item or group of items separately and then arrange them, as I often don't want a huge pool of dressing on the bottom of the plate. A sparing drizzle to finish is all that's needed!

Conversely, I like the idea of putting the dressing down first and then layering over it. Would work well over a bed of hummus too....

#63 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

The other night, we had Salad Nicoise

Posted Image

Several comments:

Chris, somewhere upthread, you mentioned an "unbalance" with the dressing. I use a dressing with lemon juice, not vinegar, on this particular salad, and dress the beans and potatoes while warm. Perhaps you should try this.

The salad was plated with the assistance of two boys, one 4 and one 9 years of ages.

I used olive oil packed tuna. I had one can and one packet that was one of those vaccuum packed packets. The vaccuum packed stuff was crap.

But, we enjoyed this salad. Eaten on the deck. Accompanied by cold beer and lemonade.
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#64 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:52 AM

Chris, somewhere upthread, you mentioned an "unbalance" with the dressing.  I use a dressing with lemon juice, not vinegar, on this particular salad, and dress the beans and potatoes while warm.  Perhaps you should try this.

View Post

I've seen this tip before, and it really works, especially with the potatoes.

On another note, what do people think we should do for the next cook-off? Let's gather some good ideas here!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#65 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:45 AM

I think it should be something involving the remainder of the summer harvest, to use up tomatoes, zucchinis, etc.

How about some sort of stuffed fresh pasta thread? Like raviolis? Manicotti?

Or perhaps a slight return of Pizza, in Foccacia form?
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#66 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:24 AM

I think it should be something involving the remainder of the summer harvest, to use up tomatoes, zucchinis, etc.

Or perhaps a slight return of Pizza, in Foccacia form?

View Post

I've looked at the eGCI course on stuffed pastas but still not tried it. A stuffed pasta thread might be just the ticket for getting me off my duff to try it. Gets my vote.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#67 Khadija

Khadija
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:31 AM

Can I suggest gnocchi?

#68 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:08 AM

View Post

I've been thinking about fresh pasta as a cookoff.

Can I suggest gnocchi?

View Post

That's a good idea, too. I've never made homemade. :shock:
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#69 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:11 AM

I'd love it if we had a cook-off to help use up my tomatoes. I've got over a dozen monster sized tomatoes on my counter right now. Many more ripening. There's only so much tomato phyllo pizza one can make!

#70 Behemoth

Behemoth
  • participating member
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:26 AM

I'd love it if we had a cook-off to help use up my tomatoes. I've got over a dozen monster sized tomatoes on my counter right now. Many more ripening. There's only so much tomato phyllo pizza one can make!

View Post

I just made two jars of sweet tomato chutney. Lasts for months and especially nice in the winter when you want something bright. I also make and freeze sauce. Basically I never met a tomato I didn't eat. :smile:

edit: how about a canning and pickling cookoff? I also just made eggplant pickles, but I need to do something with green beans.

*technically I participated in the salad cookoff, that's basically most of what we eat on summer worknights:

Tonight: roasted golden beet, wax bean, tomato, olive, goat cheese
Last week: Nicoise
Week before last: Spanish style: hard-boiled egg, roasted red pepper, olive, potato, tuna
etc.

Edited by Behemoth, 27 August 2005 - 10:32 AM.

#71 patticky

patticky
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

I'm not sure if we are still doing composed salads, but I'm going back there anyway. I think a green composed salad generally is a single serving spectacular so that each person can enjoy the artistry of the dish. If it is on a large platter, it will soon be destroyed.

Layered salads are those 7 layer type salads with all the ingredients on top of each other and served in a glass bowl so you can enjoy the different colors and textures -- generally another category. (Do you think a Cobb salad is a horizontal version of a layered salad?)

My favorite composed salad is a bed of Boston lettuce with a jumbo shrimp, a few beautifully steamed asparagus and quarters of small sized tomatoes. I think you are supposed to use a single dressing but I do mine separately -- a seafood sauce dressing with the shrimp and vinegar and olive oil with the rest.

Whatever you call them, these salads look delicious! Thanks for the great ideas.

#72 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:52 AM

My family loves salads but I have never been a big fan of them. So I don't make them nearly as often as they would like me too. Here are a few that I have made in the past.

Salad Niciose
Posted Image

Seafood Salad

Posted Image

Tomato and Feta

Posted Image

Pan Seared Foie Gras with Pears

Posted Image

#73 piperdown

piperdown
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:35 PM

Can I suggest gnocchi?

View Post

I third this. I've wanted to compare TK's Chou Gnochhi with regular potato Gnocchi for awhile, and this will finally give me the impetus.

#74 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:17 PM

My family loves salads but I have never been a big fan of them. So I don't make them nearly as often as they would like me too.  Here are a few that I have made in the past....

View Post

WOW!
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#75 Chufi

Chufi
  • participating member
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:25 PM

Both stuffed pasta and gnocchi are great ideas for the next cook-off.
I'm making ravioli this week so stuffed pasta would suit me very well.. :biggrin:
but, I recently made some spinach gnocchi that turned out rather heavy, so it would be nice to learn how to make light and fluffy gnocchi. Also, I just love to say the word gnocchi and welcome any opportunity to say it as often as I can. Gnocchi.. :wub:

#76 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:01 PM

Also, I just love to say the word gnocchi and welcome any opportunity to say it as often as I can. Gnocchi..  :wub:

View Post

Ahhh yes, I understand, being an easily amused person myself. :biggrin:

I think I'm going to "make" ravioli using crab somehow tomorrow night, but I am going to use the wonton wrappers or some such easy thing like that. It might take a Cook-off to force me into making fresh pasta again, and so I am in favor of that, or the "Gnocchi"... :wub:

#77 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:01 AM

I'm not sure if we are still doing composed salads, but I'm going back there anyway.

View Post

patticky, we're always still doing the cook-offs; check out the links at the top of this thread and you'll see lots of recent action on even the oldest ones. Hell, the fried chicken thread pops back to life every week or so! Please do keep reading and contributing to the threads.

Meanwhile, I sense a groundswell for fresh Italian pasta thread, including stuffed pastas and gnocchi....
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#78 daniellewiley

daniellewiley
  • participating member
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:29 AM

Meanwhile, I sense a groundswell for fresh Italian pasta thread, including stuffed pastas and gnocchi....

View Post

I'm all for it! I have wanted to try Slkinsey's ricotta gnocchi for a while.
Danielle Altshuler Wiley
a.k.a. Foodmomiac

#79 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:34 PM

As promised: Cook-Off XIII: Fresh/Stuffed Pastas and Gnocchi!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#80 Meez

Meez
  • participating member
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

I just figured out two things: 1. there was a cook-off for composed salads, and 2. there is no statute of limitations for cook-offs. Lots of great salads here; I really love nicoise and cobb salads. Here is something I did recently and posted in the Dinner thread:

Beet salad with gorgonzola and candied pecans

Posted Image

Had some time today to do a composed thing. There is some balsamic on the beets, but I think it needed something a little more to tie it all together.

#81 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:29 AM

I just figured out two things: 1. there was a cook-off for composed salads, and 2. there is no statute of limitations for cook-offs. Lots of great salads here; I really love nicoise and cobb salads. Here is something I did recently and posted in the Dinner thread:

Beet salad with gorgonzola and candied pecans

Posted Image

Had some time today to do a composed thing. There is some balsamic on the beets, but I think it needed something a little more to tie it all together.

View Post

WOW! That looks so good! Just added beets to my shopping list for next week. Thanks for sharing.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#82 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:26 AM

That does look good. That particular pictured salad got a big "DUH" from/about me. But of course... Start the salad with a layer of beets at the bottom. Then everything doesn't turn red. There will be a composed salad something like that coming to my table soon!

#83 ellencho

ellencho
  • participating member
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:49 PM

Reading terminal market had the cutest yellow and purple beets as well as baby arugula this week so I couldn't resist making this salad.
Posted Image
Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

#84 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

Looks great! What is the dressing you use for beets? I just bought six fatties for tomorrow....
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#85 Grub

Grub
  • legacy participant
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

Meez, that beet salad is truly inspirational. Beautiful. That's going on my to-do list right away.

#86 ellencho

ellencho
  • participating member
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:20 AM

Looks great! What is the dressing you use for beets? I just bought six fatties for tomorrow....

View Post

It couldn't be easier. Olive oil, lemon juice, microplaned shallot, salt, and pepper. The sweetness of the beets goes very well with this simple dressing.
Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

#87 jfrater

jfrater
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:52 AM

A few weeks ago I made a Bresse Chicken Salad (from the Larousse book). The ingredients are boiled eggs (rare), asparagus (not tinned!), lettuce, chicken boiled in stock and chopped, and red and green capsicum peppers thinly sliced.

You dress the lettuce with vinaigrette and lay them in the salad bowl. Then you spoon all of the other ingredients into the middle. The chicken (after chopping) should have some vinaigrette mixed into it. I also sprinkled some Paprika on top to make it look prettier. The eggs are my favourite way of hard boiling - rare :) The blob in the centre is an egg rich mayonnaise.

And here you have it:

Posted Image

I am sorry the photo is so close in to the salad - I took it before I even knew this site and thread existed :)

-- Jamie
Funny, Cool, Scary, Weird Top 10 Lists
http://listverse.com

#88 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:56 AM

I am sorry the photo is so close in to the salad - I took it before I even knew this site and thread existed :)

Nothing to be sorry about - it looks delicious!

Thank goodness you found eGullet.. now you have a reason to photograph all your food :wink:

#89 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

This is a not-so-fancy contribution to the cook-off...my mom used to make this all the time for dinner in the summer, and I got a craving for it this morning. Sliced tomatoes, cukes, red onion, new potatoes, blanched haricots verts, sweet corn, and some grilled chicken breast, all on top of a bed of romaine lettuce.

Served with a simple vinaigrette.

Posted Image

Edited by Megan Blocker, 27 April 2006 - 04:57 PM.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#90 jfrater

jfrater
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

[...] Sliced tomatoes, cukes, red onion, new potatoes, blanched haricots verts, sweet corn, and some grilled chicken breast, all on top of a bed of romaine lettuce.

Served with a simple vinaigrette.

View Post

That looks very tantalising! What exactly are cukes?
Funny, Cool, Scary, Weird Top 10 Lists
http://listverse.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff