Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

The Star at Harome

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#91 david goodfellow

david goodfellow
  • participating member
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

Stunning revelations of alleged torture and abuse.

Simply beggars belief.

http://www.dailymail...e-broccoli.html

#92 Soundman

Soundman
  • participating member
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

Getting married there in less than a month, makes it all more exciting if there might be bits of chef in the soup.

Your initial sentence is a little contradictory David, until anything is proved, they're just allegations, and neither stunning nor revelatory!

#93 Soundman

Soundman
  • participating member
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

July the 10th saw me and the new Mrs Soundman get married at The Star. Everything, from beginning to end was perfect. The food (for 30 guests) was perfect in every way, Andrew was on the pass which was no mean feat as he was also on the pass over the road that night as well, so a busy night for him.

We had dinner at The Star the previous night to taste a few of the wines, and the Sommelier was really good, I'm not sure if he's new or not, I didn't recognise him from previous visits, but his recommendations were all spot on.

All in all we were 100% happy with the Star, as were our guests, we'd definitely recommend it as a wedding venue, and the restaurant is currently cooking it's arse off too.

A couple of pictures........

The cheese:

Posted Image

Chef hard at work

Posted Image

I'll get round to an actual review one day, for now it will suffice to say we had a wonderful day.

The pictures were taken by our ace photographer, and need crediting to him:
Wedding Photography by Rob Booker
T: 0113 2702440

E: contact@robbooker.co.uk
W: www.robbooker.co.uk

#94 Gary Marshall

Gary Marshall
  • participating member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:13 AM

new game book from andrew .....

http://www.loosebirdsandgame.co.uk/

just in time for christmas...will hopefulyl be making my usual christmas eve visit....
you don't win friends with salad

#95 BertieWooster

BertieWooster
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

Was at the Fev Arms last weekend. Good food (including an excellent Rabbbit Raviolus), but, woah, is it expensive

Need to do The Star before small child stops us
It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

#96 Gary Marshall

Gary Marshall
  • participating member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:51 AM

http://www.telegraph...ant-review.html

9/10 review in the sunday telegraph.

Had that duck plate on my last visit, i nearly swapped it out thinking it would just be a bit of confit leg and seared breast, how wrong i was!

They're also running andrew's gbm menu as well i believe.

#97 ajnicholls

ajnicholls
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

The duck dish at the Star is one of the best things I've ever been served in a restaurant. Made me a very happy man!

#98 Gary Marshall

Gary Marshall
  • participating member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

Had a cracking lunch at the star recently to celebrate the arrival of number two child, and a return visit was long overdue! (last year for my wife's birthday, work, living away and babies all conspiring against me!)

We decided to construct our own menu from the a la carte and began the truly difficult process of looking at what could be easily spilt by the kitchen into two and what we fancied - which was pretty much everything to be fair, into a not unreasonable amount of dishes for the kitchen to create and us to eat. We originally thought between two of us we could split 2 starters, a fish main , a main each, cheese to share & dessert, but a short spell of clarity as the initial celebratory glass of champagne kicked in and I thought we’d better add another starter, better to over-order than under I believe.

So we reeled off our suggested menu to Stelian the restaurant manager who didn’t bat an eye at our fairly outlandish menu and headed to the kitchen with the good or bad news , depending whether you were cooking it, eating it, or thought you might get out early on a Wednesday lunchtime – sorry!

First course was a vivid chlorophyllic green wild garlic risotto, with nettle pesto and homemade pancetta & poached egg, this had a real kick of garlic, and unlike a commentator on a well known travel advisory web site, I was not at all surprised by this and indeed would have been more annoyed if it hadn’t, seeing as I wasn’t planning on kissing my dining companion anytime soon.

We moved onto a minestrone soup, locally shot roe deer ‘minestrone’ with venison and juniper meatballs, curly kale, moorland tomme cheese shavings and white spring truffle, served in a Chinese teapot, the stock for the soup was superb with clarity and depth and all in all very satisfying umami rich dish.

Third starter was a smoked haddock cassoulet, a super comfort food dish that I thought would make a great ‘tea’ in a bigger format – only to find Chef/Patron Andrew was one step ahead of me and it is in his excellent book foie gras and black pudding as a main course, here it made an excellent bridge to the fish course.

The fish was from the specials some good fillets of John Dory with an eel croquette, brown shrimps and a flavoured hollandaise which escapes me at the moment, it was very nice to see some fish cooked in an actual pan with butter giving it the caremelisation and residual heat required to make a moreish dish.

Main was also off the specials beer fed dexter fillet, morels, madeira jus, duck liver, cardiologist appointment included. It was as rich and satisfying as expected and really when all said and done, it’s not a celebratory meal without a steak is it?! ;) Again these small dexter fillets would have been hockey pucks in the wrong hands but again a med/rare and bleu cuisson were perfectly executed in the pan and were all the better for it.

A shared selection of Yorkshire cheese followed, all in great condition and explained patiently, whilst working our way through these I did momentarily worry that perhaps the kitchen had thought that was us finished as it was by now nearer evening service than lunch, but no worries our requested ‘cheesecake’ & Yorkshire curd tart were rustled up without fuss  and our contented afternoon continued. 

Good espresso and the traditional Yorkshire pint digestif finished the ‘lunch’ marvellously and we were picked up and whisked back to my dining companions own pub to continue….!

It was one of those great lunches with not a duff dish or even out of place element, we drank well with the highlight a G Roumier 2004 Chambolle Musigny that I brought and paid corkage on, plus a couple of whites from the list, a 2010 Ponsot Rully 1er cru also doing a good performance as a Meursault ‘mini – me’.   About the highest praise I can give is one of the few lunches I can recall (and trust me, I’ve had my share) that matched this for conviviality, superb luxe-comfort food and wine was a lunch several years ago at Auberge De L’Ill in Alsace a long standing Michelin 3* , the star is really firing on all cylinders and I can’t wait to return.

#99 Morax

Morax
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

It is definately worth it. I've been there four time and everytime I was simply amazed.