Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Unnatural Attachment?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 05:44 AM

Jeanne said in her bio:

And no I don't have a great kitchen. I have a lousy electric stove and a 22-year-old toaster oven.

As someone who recently lost her 25-year-old toaster oven, I understand the conflict you feel when it comes to replacing long loved and well known equipment. Mine finally had to go when it didn't turn itself off after toasting some bread in the morning and when I came home several hours later that corner of the kitchen was pretty hot. I was amazed it hadn't started a fire.

Have you thought about replacing it? Have you started to notice it malfunctioning? Please don't wait too long, it may not be a great kitchen, but you don't want it burned down.

Oh, an actual question... hmm... Do you think having an emotional attachment to pieces of kitchen equipment is common? normal? worthy of a support group?

#2 Jeanne McManus

Jeanne McManus
  • legacy participant
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 02:45 PM

Oh I don’t have any conflict about replacing it. If that baby breaks, it’s out the door.   And I don’t have any attachment to it. I just noted that it’s there, sort of as a way of saying that I don’t have a lot fancy stuff, don’t need it to cook really.

The things I like most in my kitchen are an OXO potato ricer (about $20) and one fancy thing, my National rice cooker (about $200), which I can program so that rice is ready about 20 minutes after I walk in the door.