Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Making Hand-Pulled Noodles

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#211 Chelseabun

Chelseabun
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Chelseabun: That's some great-looking dough you've got there, congratulations! Now that you've mastered the dough, next up is pulling technique.

Alternate your twirling between clockwise and counterclockwise, it makes for naturally longer strands. To understand why, take a piece of string and twist it until it naturally twists into itself. If you now want to repeat this for the twisted piece of string, you'll find that you'll have to twist the piece of string in the opposite direction. It's the same with noodles.

I think it was back in May 2013 that I posted some notes on pulling technique, along with a number of videos - have a read and a watch. You're doing great. Dust your noodles between stretches and you'll be enjoying a plateful soon!

Hi Kleinebre,

Many thanks.  I would not say that i have mastered the dough exactly.  letting my bread machine do the kneading has been a great help and using only small quantities has helped too.  I am now able to work on my noodle pulling technique though and it has been an achievement (of sorts) to get that far.  Yes, i will read over the older posts.  your posts were excellent. 

#212 zhenwu

zhenwu
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

yeahhh...!!

Thx Kleinebre.. your recipe works. I made a mix 11% and 12% white flour. But i had to add some Water douring the kneading and twisting.

575cb6-1393947593.jpg

• kleinebre likes this

#213 PeppersGalore

PeppersGalore
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

They *are* telling the whole story - Waking up at 5am to make noodle dough for lunch and resting the dough for SIX HOURS. This would make for an exceedingly boring video though, so they started out with rested dough. Given enough resting time, simply flour, water, and a pinch of salt *will* do the trick. The problem though, is that resting for too short a time will under-develop the gluten, which will result in the noodles not keeping together; while over-developed gluten won't work either because it will be too elastic and the dough will tear itself apart when stretched. I'm afraid that that's where "feel" for the dough comes in, but generally speaking, if the dough pulls itself to pieces, gluten is over-developed. It can be solved by increasing the moisture, twirling the dough a bit more or increasing alkaline.

You are wrong.  They don't wake up at 5 am to make noodle dow and leave it rest for around six hours if you mean 'they' as in La Mian noodle chefs.  They prepare the dough an hour or so before it's ready to be hand pulled.  Simple water and a pinch of salt will ensure that your noodles are white in colour and will disintegrate once added to boiling water.  The Chinese use and additive which relaxes the dough making it easier to stretch and also yellow in colour and to hold together when boiled.  I'm not sure why you think that the Chinese who would prepare scores if not hundreds of these dishes daily would use an additive whereas you or somebody similar who just wants to 'have a go' would not need to.  I hope I don't sound too confrontational.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese