Did another side-by-side. Top: 11.5% protein "00" flour; Bottom: 50/50 mix 11.5 "00" flour and plain flour (~10.5% protein average).
Extensibility of the slightly lower-protein flour version was a bit better, but had a bit more tendency to start tearing.
Strand thickness is fairly consistent in both cases, about 5-6 mm (1/4 inch) at 8 strands. Some of the strands fused as I didn't dust the noodles with more flour.
I realize that the above two pictures look considerably less impressive than my 2013-01-26 attempt, but unlike my last week and a half of attempts, I haven't managed to repeat my January effort.
- Base recipe 167g flour, 100g water, 1 tsp salt.
- Used warm tap water ~50C for both for a target temperature around 30C.
- Flour mix (bottom) was blended thoroughly before use to ensure even distribution of "00" and "plain" flour.
- Flour was sifted before use for more even water absorption and was added to the flour bit by bit while stirring to prevent overheating/denaturing the flour protein.
- Autolyse stage 20 minutes followed by vigorous kneading/folding. Both attempts rubbed with a few drops of 40% potassium carbonate solution after initial kneading, followed by a second kneading/folding to evenly distribute the alkaline through the dough.
- Rest after kneading prior to pull 20 minutes.
This attempt gave the best extensibility of my tries so far (the high protein ones anyway), on BOTH recipes. The high protein flour appeared to be capable of absorbing a bit more water, whereas the lower protein version ended up getting much more sticky, with even a tendency to get "soupy". To make the dough workable, I had to slightly increase the flour content by dusting the wet sticky roll of flour. I used high protein flour for this, as the overall protein content was going to be lower than pure "00" anyway.
Extensibility of the lower protein dough was slightly better than that of the higher protein dough. In both doughs, elasticity appeared to increase somewhat on rubbing with the alkaline solution.
suggests resting the dough for much longer (a full hour as opposed to 20 minutes) prior to pulling. In my January effort, the dough had rested in the refrigerator for a full 12 hours, so I'll be studying the effects of a prolonged resting time next.
Edited by kleinebre, 07 April 2013 - 10:10 AM.