Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

• Please log in to reply
704 replies to this topic

#631 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:17 AM

There were lots of other cameras snapping away all weekend, I can't wait to see some of those images (hopefully none of me all sweaty! :raz:)

Other fond memories and items of special note:JAZ's amazing spiced walnuts and cocktail creations.
Speaking of cocktails, Katie Loeb's Lemoncello makes an excellent Arnold Palmer.
Rabbi Ribeye telling me my pickles tasted like the ones made by his grandfather.
Watching the smoke rise over the tennis courts and through the trees.
Getting our hands all squishy with peach juice.
Having plenty of hands on duty to dice veggies, peel eggs, watch pots, make supply runs, etc. Priceless.

#632 appreciator

appreciator
  • participating member
  • 504 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:26 AM

I just want to thank everyone for sharing this adventure with all of us... it's been fun and enlightening to watch, read, and enjoy this event vicariously through your words and photos.

Definitely makes me want to venture south for the next “Occasional Pig Pickin’” :biggrin:
sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

#633 Varmint

Varmint
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:05 AM

I'm tired and am working on the clean-up. If you're in the area . . . . :wink:

Thanks to every wonderful person who made this event possible. I'm not going to go through a list of names, as I'll miss a few. That alone should tell you how many people it took to make this event a success. I'm humbled by the amount of talent that was assembled in my kitchen that was able to work together as a team. The food that was put out yesterday was absolutely tops!

We celebrated life yesterday, and we recognized how lucky we are to have friends and family and to break bread (or hush puppies) together on such a lovely day. We were able to have this convivial feast, unlike many of our brothers and sisters in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. As you finish up your Labor Day weekend celebrations, please remember these men, women and children. Please find a way in your hearts and wallets to help them out.

Thanks everyone!
Dean McCord
VarmintBites

#634 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,339 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:57 AM

My favorite dish of the day had to be that squash casserole. Definitely one to make at home -- anyone have a link to the recipe? I'm pretty sure I've read about it on eGForums before.

Let me add my request for a link to this recipe. We love squash -- eat it several times a week -- and I'd really be interested in finding a new way to prepare it.

Rachel, who made it?

Edited by Jaymes, 05 September 2005 - 08:58 AM.

#635 hjshorter

hjshorter
  • participating member
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:45 AM

Dave and Marlene made the squash, from Dave's recipe. It was delicious, as was everything else.

Edited by hjshorter, 05 September 2005 - 04:12 PM.

Heather Johnson
In Good Thyme

#636 Mayhaw Man

Mayhaw Man
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:33 PM

It looks like a great time was had by all. I missed you guys. Maybe next year we can have something at my house. Maybe a big shrimp and crawfish extravaganza with music and beer made about 300 yards from my house. And moonshine made somewhere near my house.

We'll work on it and look forward to it.

Brooks
Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

#637 Mayhaw Man

Mayhaw Man
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:35 PM

PS-The okra and Tomatoes looks great!
Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

#638 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:18 PM

1089.2 miles and 57 hours later we Survived the Second Occasional Varmint's Pig Pickin'. And on to the show

Posted Image
I would love to show what was for dinner saturday night but ....uh it was gone...tasty too. We pretty much showed up in time to eat so only pitched in to the donation box.

Posted Image
everyone looks very happy with their dinners

Posted Image
Senior Pig has arrived for his tennis match

Posted Image
at least half of him

and thats my saturday evening kids....stay tuned

tracey
The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#639 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:37 PM

After waking up sunday afternoon we rode back to Deans to see what we could do, menial tasks at best a little put this here put that there. Then it came time for the actually pickin, shredding, and hacking.....and the flies
ooops first was the Chicken

Posted Image
Posted Image

then the pork shoulders came off the grill
Posted Image
Posted Image

then the flies.....as we gather to swat them, fanning Dean in the process
Posted Image

if Yan Can ...Dean Can too
Posted Image

A little help is on the way
Posted Image

more??? theres always more

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000, 05 September 2005 - 04:39 PM.

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

#640 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:52 PM

and they lived happily ever after ...oh wait wrong story
Now we cant leave out Miss Cheryl who wouldnt come to a Pig Pickin in anything less than her finest pearls
Posted Image

and we cant forget Karen trying to vaccume the flies away from our wonderful buffet
Posted Image

and the crowd moving in for the hush puppies
Posted Image

line up now no ditching
Posted Image

I think I ate too much
Posted Image

Ok I'm done and done in

gonna do it again someday right :biggrin:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000, 05 September 2005 - 04:53 PM.

Maxine

My Webpage

#641 Marmish

Marmish
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

I need that caramel cake! Everything looked scrumptious. Not the thread to read at dinnertime with an empty frig, though. :sad: How many people attended this year?

#642 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:51 PM

I think this is the recipe Dave started with at least.

Squash Casserole

But we also added Asiago cheese and a few other cheeses we found in the fridge.

I also have to confess I didn't take a single picture. I was just too busy. But Jason was our on the spot documentor, and I know I saw Gifted Gourmet taking a lot of photos as well.

I had to have beef tonight. I couldn't face any more pork :biggrin:
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#643 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:54 PM

1. I hope Varmint is keeping that gigantic RedHook beer banner, to hang in his office.

2. I see Dr. Pepper under the table, but no Mr. Pibb. What's up with that? Isn't North Carolina Mr. Pibb territory?

3. The tee-shirt looks great, especially accessorized with Mikimoto pearls.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#644 ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

1. I hope Varmint is keeping that gigantic RedHook beer banner, to hang in his office.

2. I see Dr. Pepper under the table, but no Mr. Pibb. What's up with that? Isn't North Carolina Mr. Pibb territory?

3. The tee-shirt looks great, especially accessorized with Mikimoto pearls.

View Post

Actually, my son won the banner in the raffle. I've been told that it's going up in our great room :wink: :smile:

The two local pops were Cheerwine -- a damned fine runner up to Dr. Brown's Black Cherry and Sun Drop which is, as Varmint described it, a local version of Mountain Dew. Jason, thinking strictly of the others, grabbed a few bottles of Dr. Pepper just in case but I don't think they moved at all.

Edited to add: I didn't see any Mr. Pibb :raz: but Coke products always seemed to be slightly out of reach, compared to Pepsi's, in most stores I visited. I think Raleigh is a Pepsi town.

=R=
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

#645 Malawry

Malawry
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:37 PM

I've put the hush puppy recipe into RecipeGullet for interested parties. They don't suck, as we say.

I'm home and feeling refreshed after a nap and a dinner of leftover Q and slaw. I had a great time this weekend--I especially can't say enough about the fabulous kitchen crew Jason snapped above (Heather, Dave, Marlene and Janet). Special thanks to Dean and Marcella and family for the wonderful Southern hospitality. (I think my favorite quote from this weekend was Marcella saying authoritatively, "Tomboys are PRINCESSES" when some kids were asking what a tomboy was.)

BTW, for all future Baby Jones fans...Baby Jones really likes BBQ.

#646 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

Are you on drugs, Shaw? CHEERWINE!!! Not Mr. Pibb!

We had plenty of Cheerwine and Diet Cheerwine.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#647 nibbs

nibbs
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:49 PM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents - Thanks to Varmint for the extending the hospitality and patience required to host a party of like 100 folks. Man, was he sweatin' in front of the pig, gloves arms and knives akimbo, like a pork chopping machine. Pork was great (we had beans with some leftovers in this evening for dinner), goat was great, but the shrimp on Saturday night was the best thing I think I've eaten in like a month and a half. Actually, maybe just the broth and the biscuit I dipped in it was enough to take that title. So I'll be searching for that recipe - Someone said it was posted.

And thanks to everyone who made the event a success. I hope to be in more on the cooking side next time - E-Gullet's new to me, but man, y'all share my obsessions...

Rooftop - Glad to see that you made it home safe on the bike!

~Nibbs

#648 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:02 PM

Cheerwine isn't really a Dr. Pepper competitor, though, is it? In the past, I've just noticed that in the Southeast, especially Georgia and the Carolinas, the Pibb product from Coca-Cola often occupies Dr. Pepper's spot on the soda fountain. Or at least it did back when I spent a summer at Wake Forest in the 1980s.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#649 Genny

Genny
  • participating member
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:54 PM

Ohhhh, I'm sooooo jealous! :sad:

I never though I'd say this, but this makes me wish I'd stayed in NC! Wish I was close enough to come and enjoy. Alas, the vicarious experience is wonderful, I love putting the faces to the names/monikers and seeing what great cooks you all are!

Can someone post the link to the shrimp and biscuits? Wow, that looked amazing! Sounds like a meal to me :)

#650 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

Cheerwine isn't really a Dr. Pepper competitor, though, is it? In the past, I've just noticed that in the Southeast, especially Georgia and the Carolinas, the Pibb product from Coca-Cola often occupies Dr. Pepper's spot on the soda fountain. Or at least it did back when I spent a summer at Wake Forest in the 1980s.

View Post

There was in fact no Pibb to be found at the local drugstore chain where we bought all the soda. In terms of local brands, we were able to get Cheerwine, as well as Sun Drop. Ronnie can attest to this, as he was with me on the beverage run.

And lets face it, Pibb sucks. Its not worthy of a eG sponsored event. Its a pale imitation of the original.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#651 Foodie in Vancouver

Foodie in Vancouver
  • participating member
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

I was at a friend's for dinner last night and was talking so much about the Pig Pickin that everyone thought I had been there which caused huge confusion. But that's how wonderful your pictures and all the posts have been - I truly felt like I was part of the fun. Best part? How much I laughed at the pig foot in the tub. Tooooo funny. Even looks like he had a fresh manicure for the party.
Thanks to one and all for sharing such a marvellous event.
Cheers,
Karole

#652 rjwong

rjwong
  • participating member
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:41 PM

Great job, everyone, and especially to you, Varmint!!
Nothin' could be finer than a pig pickin' in Carolina ...

Posted Image

View Post

Now I know why Dave was smilin', you dawg you ... :wink:

Posted Image

View Post

Thank you for the hush puppies. They looked illegally delicious. :wub:

Posted Image

View Post

Rachel, do I see a tub of ... Cool Whip ...?? :shock:

Couple of last things, Dean: What was the sauce you added into the pork? Was it Pistol Pete? As for the photo of the pig's foot in the tub, you have got to use that picture somehow.

Again, thank y'all for puttin' on the pig pickin'.
Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

#653 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:21 PM

Wow! Just made it home a short while ago. The drive wasn't really that bad, and the Philly crew made good time, but we stopped for a dinner bite in southern DE and then drove Mummer out to his house in the burbs. When we got to Herb's house in NJ, there was the world's cutest/smartest/sweetest stray dog sitting on his front steps as though he were waiting for us. Approximately 5 month old small-to-medium sized part Ridgeback/part lab(?) puppy. Soooooo sweet. All waggy tailed and kissy. He was far too well mannered, clean and relatively healthy looking to be a total stray, but Herb couldn't let him in his house, and my three kitties would never have allowed me to bring him home either. We both called every single person we knew to see if someone would take him. No luck. I wouldn't have slept tonight if we didn't do the right thing, and leaving him running around was far too dangerous. We fed him and gave him some water and played ball with him until a nice local police officer arrived from our call to 9-1-1. He hung out with us and the dog (by now nicknamed "Rolly" for semi-obvious reasons) and called for animal control. So we waited and waited and animal control finally arrived and took Rolly away. Herb will check on him in the coming days and make sure he gets adopted. The nice officer seemed interested so perhaps Rolly will end up with him! Herb took a picture of the dog so maybe he'll post it so you can all see the post-Pickin' unofficial mascot and location namesake. Wish I coulda kept him. He was an awesome pup! :smile:

I can hardly begin to thank everyone for the wonderful time they contributed to. My memories will have to do, but seeing old friends and meeting new ones was truly a great experience. The McCords are the most hospitable hosts and I am much obliged for the warmth and kindness. It was so much fun! And lucky us - we did get some leftovers in addition to some wonderful purchases from the NC Farmer's Market we picked up to bring home as well. YUM!!! I'll be eating good Carolina food for the rest of the week.

Brooks, bless you for being so sweet and thinking of us. Here's to hoping the next party is at your house. I wouldn't miss that for the world!

As for the photo of the pig's foot in the tub, you have got to use that picture somehow.

I couldn't agree more! I tried to convince Jason to Photoshop in some toenail polish and bubbles in the bathtub. Now there's an eGullet Christmas card if ever there was one! :wink:

The Limoncello Arnold Palmers have been dubbed the "Arnaldo". Very refreshing. The photos don't lie. The weather was picture perfect in every way. It was a spectacular weekend all around.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#654 hjshorter

hjshorter
  • participating member
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:57 AM

Can someone post the link to the shrimp and biscuits?  Wow, that looked amazing!  Sounds like a meal to me :)

View Post

I will post my biscuit recipe after I see my kids off to their first day of school.
Heather Johnson
In Good Thyme

#655 hjshorter

hjshorter
  • participating member
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:20 AM

I'd like to add my thanks to Dean and Marcella for their hospitality, and to the kitchen crew for letting me assist. Some people come to these events for the food, but the draw for me is the cooking together.

Brooks, even though we have never met I missed you this weekend. Thanks for thinking of us - be assured we were all thinking of you, and all of the many hundreds of thousands displaced by this storm, many cut off from food and friends and the comfort and good cheer that both provide.

Edited by hjshorter, 06 September 2005 - 03:20 AM.

Heather Johnson
In Good Thyme

#656 Carrot Top

Carrot Top
  • legacy participant
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:07 AM

As for the photo of the pig's foot in the tub, you have got to use that picture somehow.

I couldn't agree more! I tried to convince Jason to Photoshop in some toenail polish and bubbles in the bathtub. Now there's an eGullet Christmas card if ever there was one! :wink:

View Post

I thought the same thing myself about the piggie foot picture, but instead saw a little yellow rubber duckie bobbing around alongside it! :smile: Didn't dare say so, though.

You all have been wonderful in sharing the time that you had so that we could enjoy it without having gone, just through the photos and words.

I am totally amazed at Varmint and his family and the great generosity shown in pulling this thing together.

Maybe next time the crew should throw a party for him the day after the party! :biggrin:
Sit him in a lawnchair with some beer to watch the cleanup crew or something.

Well, maybe not. The whole thing might go on for a week. :wink:

Thank you all, anyway, for sharing the fun of what looked and sounded like a really enjoyable (and of course historic) time!
Karen

#657 Malawry

Malawry
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:46 AM

Ladies and gentlemen,

Dave the Cook's Barbequed Shrimp, New Orleans style.

All that diced butter Jason photographed? That went into the shrimp. This makes a very, very saucy dish.

#658 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:00 AM

great timing
I was thinking we should have something light like seafood for dinner tonight :wacko:

tracey
Maxine

My Webpage

#659 debbiemoose

debbiemoose
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:14 AM

After participating in my first pig picking, I hate I missed the first one! Thanks to all at Chez Varmint for patience and hospitality. It's hard to say what I'll remember more: the primo pig and all the other food, whatever it was I was drinking (I got to where I just said, "Make me anything good with no gin."), the sight of so many people working in one kitchen without the loss of any body parts or Varmint in the elbow-length black gloves and orange do-rag - defnintely THE look for fall!

It was great to meet everyone!

Debbie

BTW, Cheerwine was invented in Salisbury NC and is not Dr. Pepper. It's a blend of cherry flavor and cola.

#660 Malawry

Malawry
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:20 AM

I grew up drinking Cheerwine. I stopped drinking it when I left North Carolina to move to the Washington area after college. Then, a few years later, I picked up a can while visiting my folks in Greensboro and drank it. I nearly spat it out--it tasted like nonmedicated carbonated cough syrup to me! Haven't had it since. Just a warning for those of you considering extreme machinations to get your mitts on some (I'm pretty sure Cheerwine is only distributed in North Carolina).