Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Genever (Holland Gin)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#181 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, I have the grey glass bottle, the clay bottle labelled Zeer Oude Genever, and I also have a clay bottle of Bols Corenwijn

I would guess the Bols Zeer Oude Genever has a pretty high malt content as well. If you have the clay or "stone" bottle it is pretty old as those changed to brown painted glass about 10 years ago.

As I understand it Corenwijn is supposed to have at least 51% malt wine as compared to the at least 15% requirement for oude genever. But since Bols has at least 51% in their genever anyway I was never quite sure what the distinction was. Maybe it has even more malt wine content than the Bols genever. I do rather like the aged Corenwijns. I have a Bols 10yo that is quite tasty neat. A lot of places suggest refrigerating or even freezing it like gin but that is just a waste to me.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#182 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Nah, the Zeer Oude was picked up for me at an airport in the low countries in the last year, as was my Corenwijn. It's pretty much brand new. The only problem with the ZO is the crappy 35% ABV. Even the Corenwijn is under 40.

I haven't done a side by side tasting of the ZO with the Corenwijn, they seem pretty similar though.

Edited by Hassouni, 21 August 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#183 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

I've had the recent Zeer and found it delicious on its own in a way the standard US glass bottle genever has never been for me. I didn't mind the proof.
  • ChrisTaylor likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#184 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Yeah it's a lot maltier

#185 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

I've had the recent Zeer and found it delicious on its own in a way the standard US glass bottle genever has never been for me. I didn't mind the proof.

Guess I will have to look for that one when I pass through Schiphol in October! Was hoping the duty free had something interesting other than local spirits but I am not going to hold my breath. Most Duty Free shops are pretty lackluster.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#186 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

Improvised a genever cocktail tonight and was quite happy with the result. I have dubbed it the Magically Delicious, as the aromoa oddly remind me of Lucky Charms (YMMV)

Magically Delicious

1 Oz Genever (Bols standard American offering)

1 Oz Sweet Vermouth (Carpano Antica)

0.25 Oz Frangelico

2 dashes Boker's Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

I am tempted to say garnish with a cereal marshmallow, because the aroma is oddly evocative of a standard breakfast for me at age nine. Regardless, it is a lovely tipple.

Edited by Czequershuus, 28 August 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#187 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:10 AM

"Dear Czequershuus- You account on eGullet has been blocked because you added a marshmallow to a cocktail...."

• KD1191, Hassouni and Czequershuus like this
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#188 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

"Dear Czequershuus- You account on eGullet has been blocked because you added a marshmallow to a cocktail...."

Nah, s'OK. I'm sure it was a marshmallow made with Lillet. (Or would it have to be "Fernet or better" around these parts?)

Strangely, I've made that recipe using Suze instead of Lillet, and now whenever I drink Suze, I think it tastes like marshmallows...  :blink:

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#189 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

My introduction to genever is a death in the gulfstream, made with my recently acquired bottle of Diep9 Old.

Baker calls for the juice and rind of one green lime, added to a water tumbler of crushed ice, four dashes of Angostura, and filled with Holland gin.

Turns out Deip9 is Belgian gin.  Oh well.  That and my last two limes granted a scant 5 ml total.  (I figure what Baker and Hemingway were squeezing down off Key West were key limes, but probably ones with a lot more juice than mine.)

I did not have the courage to fill the tumbler.  Not that it's a small tumbler by any means.  And I cut the bitters down to two dashes.

But, you know, this is good!  I thought about a straw, since Baker was mute on that detail.  Then I thought of Hemingway.  I'm not sure Hemingway knew what a straw was.

#190 Melinda Staros

Melinda Staros
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hi Jo, 

The drink sounds nice! .. and I think you're right about the straw. :)  But FYI, Holland Gin and Belgian Gin are one in the same --> they are both Genevers. In fact, Holland Gin originated in Belgium and only came to be known as Holland Gin when it was imported into the US before the prohibition. Check out this book about it... http://cocktails.abo...-BookReview.htm

Cheers! 

#191 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

Thank you!  I put in a request for the book from the library.