Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 LizD518

LizD518
  • participating member
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

Thank you! Next time I will pull it out well before I need it and wait for it to warm up.

#32 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Bumping up this thread with another SMBC question. I love using it for cakes, but have only made vanilla, and chocolate SMBC so far. Both delicious, but I do love variety.

I understand it can be flavoured with coffee, lemon curd, fruit purees, praline paste, liqueurs etc. Does anyone have ratios for how much flavouring I can use, so that it does not change the fluffy texture of the BC, or make it "weep" or cause it to separate?

I am using this recipe (Bo Friberg's, if I remember right):
240 ml egg whites
400 g granulated sugar
600 g butter
vanilla and salt

Thank you.

#33 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

I just add whatever I want to flavor.  I have never worried about ratios too much.  I add lemon curd to taste, chocolate to taste or to the color I want, zest, ground praline, extracts, liqueurs, whatever.  I've never had a problem with it.  It's actually pretty forgiving, and I don't know why it scares people the way it does.  

I used SMBC instead of IMBC only because it's a simpler process.  I have the type of mixer at work that has one of those safety cages (which I hate) and it makes a mess trying to add hot sugar syrup to the whites.  I use a 1:1:1 recipe making it.  1# butter, I cup sugar, 1 cups whites.  Just increase as needed. 

The method I use for getting it ready to use is what I was taught in pastry school.  If it's cold, just add chunks of the cold buttercream to the mixer bowl.  Place over a bain marie and melt about halfway down, breaking up the chunks.  Put it on the mixer, and mix on low with the paddle.  If need be, I use a torch on the bowl if it's still too cold, or put it back over the hot water.  I will increase the speed a little to get it to come together, but I was told not to whip it too high to prevent too many air bubbles.  

#34 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

II have the type of mixer at work that has one of those safety cages (which I hate) and it makes a mess trying to add hot sugar syrup to the whites.

There's a way around this; use a magnet on the outside of the cage.  When I got my 30 quart it was the first thing I did (figure out how to swing the cage around so I could pour hot syrup in without the cage being locked in place).  Then  it seems that someone mentioned it to the tech working on the mixer one day and now I don't need the magnet anymore.... :biggrin:

#35 pjm333

pjm333
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

I make this in a 20 qt mixing bowl..

Buttercream

4 Cups Fresh egg whites

8 Cups Sugar

2 t salt

6 lbs butter soft

Heat the whites, sugar & salt in mixing bowl over direct flame until sugar is dissolved. Beat at high speed until stiff meringue, add butter 1# at a time, scraping down sides of bowl. Mix well !!