Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cheap lobster in Philadelphia -- retail

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 maui420

maui420
  • participating member
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:26 PM

i have a friend you told me that somewhere in philly, one might be able to buy lobster by the busshel around 6.99 a pound whole sale. is there such a place? is there a place to buy wholesale quantities of sea food at a cheap price?

thanks,

#2 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:57 PM

i have a friend you told me that somewhere in philly, one might be able to buy lobster by the busshel around 6.99 a pound whole sale. is there such a place? is there a place to buy wholesale quantities of sea food at a cheap price?

thanks,

View Post

There's the wholesale fish purveyors down by the stadiums at the "Food Center" - the source of most wholesale food in the city.

I'll ask my chef tomorrow which seafood vendors might be open to the public.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#3 maui420

maui420
  • participating member
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:40 AM

that would be great!

thanks, i really appreciate it.

thanks,

View Post

There's the wholesale fish purveyors down by the stadiums at the "Food Center" - the source of most wholesale food in the city.

I'll ask my chef tomorrow which seafood vendors might be open to the public.

View Post

#4 cinghiale

cinghiale
  • participating member
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:03 AM

I've purchased lobsters in bulk several times from Samuels & Sons, which as Katie noted is at the food distribution center by the stadiums. I've always been pleased with everything I've had from them (softshells, salmon carcasses, etc.) They sell to retail, but it's set up for wholesale. Just go into the office and place your order. Then you give the order slip to a manager outside, who gets it filled for you. Kinda cool seeing all that fresh fish, huge cleaning/scaling operation, and so on.

#5 maui420

maui420
  • participating member
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:24 AM

hi,
can you tell me please how much per pound for the lobster and the min amt of weight i can buy at?

thanks

I've purchased lobsters in bulk several times from Samuels & Sons, which as Katie noted is at the food distribution center by the stadiums.  I've always been pleased with everything I've had from them (softshells, salmon carcasses, etc.)  They sell to retail, but it's set up for wholesale.  Just go into the office and place your order.  Then you give the order slip to a manager outside, who gets it filled for you.  Kinda cool seeing all that fresh fish, huge cleaning/scaling operation, and so on.

View Post

#6 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

Actually, Samuels & Sons is exactly who I was thinking of. The phone numbers and ordering information is on the link that Cinghiale provided. They should be able to give you their prices and minimums over the phone.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#7 maui420

maui420
  • participating member
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:36 AM

hey thanks for the help. i called the place and it seems like the one im looking for.

btw, anyone ever buy the cole lobster? is it worth the risk?

thanks, im looking to buy my parents a good pair of 5lb bad boys. lol!

Actually, Samuels & Sons is exactly who I was thinking of.  The phone numbers and ordering information is on the link that Cinghiale provided.  They should be able to give you their prices and minimums over the phone.

View Post

#8 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

hey thanks for the help. i called the place and it seems like the one im looking for.

View Post

"Cole" or "Cull" ?

If "cull" it just means you are buying the warriors, the ones who have lost a limb, usually a claw, in combat. Nothing to do with freshness or quality of the meat.

As much as I admire a warrior, the claw meat is my favorite so I'd be loath to settle for a lefty or a righty.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#9 herbacidal

herbacidal
  • participating member
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:18 PM

FYI, the per-pound price of lobsters usually get more expensive the larger the lobster.
Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

#10 deprofundis

deprofundis
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:56 PM

Can you post the per lb prices and minimum purchase amount when you find out? I and I'm sure other eGulleters are also curious. Thanks!

#11 deprofundis

deprofundis
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:19 PM

By the way, does anyone know if Samuels affiliated with Ippolito's? Their logos are uncannily similar. Behold:

Posted Image

Posted Image

:laugh:

#12 maui420

maui420
  • participating member
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

yep, they are of the same company.

By the way, does anyone know if Samuels affiliated with Ippolito's?  Their logos are uncannily similar.  Behold:

Posted Image

Posted Image

:laugh:

View Post

#13 TarteTatin

TarteTatin
  • participating member
  • 855 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:44 PM

No kidding, Shoprite Aramingo had 5-7 lb lobsters on sale last week for $6.99 a pound.
(Smaller were more expensive)

I couldn't buy them, even though we often buy whole lobsters.
These guys and girls just looked so wise, they'd survived this long...
I know, sentimentality, I know, someone will buy them, but I just couldn't.
Philly Francophiles

#14 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:34 PM

ok then.

the 'restaurant lobster' thread has me thinkin i need a lobster or two. but i'm not a rich man, so here's my question: where can i get good fresh live lobsters for the most reasonable price?

--there's the place in the terminal where they're about $11/lb for chicks
--i've never noticed any of the places in the italian market having them, even
anastasi's--have i missed it?
--i know ippolito's has live crabs; do they carry lobster?
--somewhere else?

thoughts?

#15 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:39 PM

While you can probably find lobster that's $1 or $2 cheaper per pound, I don't think it's worth it. The RTM vendor has decent turnover compared to most other sellers of lobsters in these parts. However, it might be profitable to take a stroll through Chinatown as long as you're in the neighborhood.
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#16 scordelia

scordelia
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

Yes, Chinatown. At least in Chicago. Lobsters at fancy seafood shops are over $20 a pound, but in Chinatown it is at least half that.

And you can freeze them if you buy them a few days before you plan on cooking them. When you thaw them out, they are happy and alive.
S. Cue

#17 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:49 PM

Devon Seafood Grill sells 1lb. lobsters at cost, $9, for Happy Hour 4-6PM Monday thru Friday!!!

That's about as cheap as I think you'll find them anywhere, and cooked for you as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#18 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:17 PM

Lobsters coming back to life after you freeze them? Am I reading this correctly? That seems impossible. If it's true, however, that is fascinating.

#19 marinade

marinade
  • participating member
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:45 AM

Lobsters of the Living Dead?

Claw on this Walt Disney lobsters

Lobsters coming back to life after you freeze them?  Am I reading this correctly?  That seems impossible.  If it's true, however, that is fascinating.

View Post

Edited by marinade, 23 April 2005 - 03:47 AM.

Jim Tarantino
Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes
Ten Speed Press

#20 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:01 AM

Devon Seafood Grill sells 1lb. lobsters at cost, $9, for Happy Hour 4-6PM Monday thru Friday!!!

That's about as cheap as I think you'll find them anywhere, and cooked for you as well.

View Post

wow, that IS cheap--even though i wouldn't end up with the shells to make lobster stock for soup/risotto/etc afterwards, nine bucks is totally worth having a little lobster snack now and then on my way home from work. hmm.... i wonder if i left work in time, if i could decimate a lobster and then head over to sansom st. to wash it down with a dozen oysters and some pink wine before happy hour ends? well, there's nothin to it but to do it, i reckon.

Edited by mrbigjas, 23 April 2005 - 05:02 AM.

#21 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:05 AM

While you can probably find lobster that's $1 or $2 cheaper per pound, I don't think it's worth it. The RTM vendor has decent turnover compared to most other sellers of lobsters in these parts. However, it might be profitable to take a stroll through Chinatown as long as you're in the neighborhood.

View Post

chinatown! of course you're right. duh, i knew i was forgetting something obvious.

#22 deprofundis

deprofundis
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:46 AM

Lobsters coming back to life after you freeze them?  Am I reading this correctly?  That seems impossible.  If it's true, however, that is fascinating.

View Post

I don't think it's possible either. Freezing a living thing slowly, like in your freezer at home, would cause ice crystals to form in its body and tear up its cells, killing it. It might be possible to freeze it really fast (and really cold) using liquid nitrogen to minimize the ice crystals, putting it in a "cryonic freeze." Kind of like Ted Williams. :biggrin: I'm sure it's been done before on small animals, but I dunno about lobsters.

#23 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:08 AM

When you thaw them out, they are happy and alive.

View Post

OK, I won't even debate the alive part, but happy? I've always found lobsters to be pretty ornery and ill-tempered, with a sarcastic sense of humor. I'd think freezing would just piss them off more. But then, who knows what makes a lobster happy...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

#24 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:15 AM

View Post

I don't think it's possible either. Freezing a living thing slowly, like in your freezer at home, would cause ice crystals to form in its body and tear up its cells, killing it. It might be possible to freeze it really fast (and really cold) using liquid nitrogen to minimize the ice crystals, putting it in a "cryonic freeze." Kind of like Ted Williams. :biggrin: I'm sure it's been done before on small animals, but I dunno about lobsters.

View Post

I agree with this. After having read the linked article above, a conventional freezer would be unable to freeze the lobster as quickly as necessary. I'd like to hear back from the person who orignally posted the come-back-to-life claim and read about his/her experiences.

#25 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:19 AM

But then, who knows what makes a lobster happy...

A spa day. Perhaps a seaweed wrap. A quick trip to the steam room, and then a butter and herb massage.

Oh wait. No. That's what makes me happy. To eat the lobster. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#26 TarteTatin

TarteTatin
  • participating member
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:50 PM

I actually looked at the lobster tank today at Superfresh on Delaware Ave./Chris Columbus Blvd.
They looked okay, but were 12.99 a lb, so didn't buy any.

Whenever we go down to Cape May, we bring our cooler, stop at the Lobster House restaurant.
They have a take out seafood store. We always buy lots of fresh seafood, lots of local stuff (just ask what's locally caught), and bring it home. Ask for enough ice to "bring it back to Philly", and they'll happily do so.

...and, we always purchase a couple of fresh lobsters. If I recall, its something like 6.99 a lb.
Philly Francophiles

#27 herbacidal

herbacidal
  • participating member
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:04 AM

View Post

chinatown! of course you're right. duh, i knew i was forgetting something obvious.

View Post

Chinatown will be good, but the Devon one is a good price.
Do they de-shell it for you? If not there's no reason you can't take the shells with you for stock. Just ask. Bring your own bag if you want.
It's not like they're going to take them back off the plate on the way in for their own stock use.
Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

#28 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:58 AM

good point. i think i'll head over this week.

#29 Nancy HM

Nancy HM
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:10 AM

OK, here's where to find what makes a lobster UNhappy: read "The Secret Life of Lobsters" in the August 2004 issue of Gourmet magazine. Written by the marvelous writer David Foster Wallace. I read someplace that the article generated the most Letters to the Editor Gourmet had ever received.

#30 phungi

phungi
  • participating member
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

OK, here's where to find what makes a lobster UNhappy:  read "The Secret Life of Lobsters" in the August 2004 issue of Gourmet magazine.  Written by the marvelous writer David Foster Wallace.  I read someplace that the article generated the most Letters to the Editor Gourmet had ever received.

View Post

Here is the link
I belch, therefore, I ate...