Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Terrine Topic

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

#361 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

PedroG somewhere in the SV thread has a nifty jpg you can print out, cut out, and save as a pasteurization guide by thickness and temp.

pasteurization by temp thickness and time has been worked out.

again thanks for these tips for terrines. Id guess SV is ideal for those T's that don't have a crust nor need browning on the exterior.

#362 HKDave

HKDave
  • participating member
  • 739 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Quelle horreur! Someone has used a different technique that that mandated by tradition.

Indeed. That's a nice-looking terrine.

In fact, pates and terrines are as traditional a use of sous vide as there is. The technique was originally developed for cooking foie pate by Chef Georges Pralus at Troisgros in the mid-1960s. Cooking terrines and the like remains one of its most useful applications.

Baron Shapiro, your minimum temperatures are correct if one only takes the terrine to that temperature mometarily. But the temperatures Nick used are safe when the length of time the product is held at that internal temperature is factored in.
Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

#363 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

I agree with Shal.. 130.1 for long enough (true temp) will pasteurization anything, based on thickness. I use 'beer coolers' with an insulated top and it uses almost no energy once temp is reached and I always do as many bags as I can and rapid chill and freeze. This saves time in the future and energy ( a little anyway )

For a thick enough product, holding at 130.1 might allow the core temp to come up too slowly, causing bacterial spoilage before pasteurization. While there would be no more live pathogens, there would be enough byproducts that the product would be unpleasant or even unsafe to eat. You still need to have a rigorous understanding of microbiology to safely SV or to follow well tested guidelines.
PS: I am a guy.

#364 boondocker

boondocker
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Personally I think SV is greatly overused these days. There is something to be said about the skill involved in doing a pate the classical way. Plus all tge safety issues that have ben raised in this thread as well

#365 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

It's a way of cooking that has its uses, nothing more, nothing less. If it's better than the traditional way or produces a result that I like more, I'll use it; if not, I won't.

Sticking steadfastly to tradition has never been something I've particularly understood nor desired to do in my cooking or elsewhere. As you say, it is a personal preference.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#366 Baron d'Apcher

Baron d'Apcher
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Chicken galantine. Amish chicken bathed in Madeira and brandy. A garnish of the breasts, Jamón Ibérico, confit gizzards, fatback and green peppercorns. Wrapped in its skin, then in cheesecloth. Gently poached, traditionally, in court-bouillion. Lemon zest and dhania coriander seasoning.

Posted Image

Gin-soaked currant and toasted Marcona almond pâté. Some heart, corned tongue, smoked deckle and thyme all up in there. Currants and slivered almonds along the top.

Posted Image

#367 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Those are works of art Baron.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#368 Baron d'Apcher

Baron d'Apcher
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Sour Cherry and Randall-Lineback Pâté en Croûte beats Harvard and Yale: Special Ivy League Edition.
Pork, Randall-Lineback rose veal, corned tongue, confit heart, Sicilian pistachios, green peppercorns and such.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#369 boondocker

boondocker
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Posted Image

Lake supeior whitefish with lemon parsley and caper. It got knocked off the heart during service while out was poaching I think that made it a, little grainy. Could have used more salt also, first fish mousseline though

Edited by boondocker, 31 August 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#370 Baron d'Apcher

Baron d'Apcher
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

Pigeon, Gin-Soaked Currant and Toasted Almond Pâté en Croûte: Special Longshot Dark-Meat Horse Edition. Submission to qualify for the 2012 World Pâté Croûte Championship in Tain l’Hermitage, France.

No dove, no love
Posted Image

Pastry feathers and almonds; juniper berries and culeb peppercorns as currants.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pigeon breast, liver farce à gratin, gizzards, almonds, currants, fatback, whathaveyou.
Posted Image

#371 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Beautiful pâté en croûte. I am intrigued by the world championship but your link does not work for me.
Terrines and pâtés are the ultimate potluck dishes (which is why French potlucks are so great)!

#372 Baron d'Apcher

Baron d'Apcher
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

www.championnatdumondepatecroute.com/le_blog/

#373 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

www.championnatdumondepatecroute.com/le_blog/

Thanks!

#374 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Seriously, baron, if you don't win, I don't know what to say. Rigged!

#375 DianaB

DianaB
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

I second Janeer's comment. I follow your posts on this thread with amazement and respect. Bon chance!

#376 boondocker

boondocker
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Seafood terrine. Scottish salmon with scallop, shrimp, parsley and lemon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#377 Baron d'Apcher

Baron d'Apcher
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Pork, Apricot, Pistachio Pâté en Croûte. Special Inadvertent-Argyle-Peppercorn-Nipple Edition

Dot Matrix
Posted Image

One fell off the pâté nest.
Posted Image

Meat Mondrian
Posted Image

#378 pep.

pep.
  • society donor
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

Pâté en croûte de Faisan and Terrine de chevreuil et canard:

1 - Pastete ganz.jpg

2 - Pastete aufgeschnitten.jpg

The terrine was made sous-vide while the pâté was cooked conventionally (too a core temperature a tad to high, I'd say, but all my recipe books were very conservative in that regard). The pâté includes dried figs stewed in port, as well as pistachios. Both were made with curing salt.

For the (campagne-style coarse grind) terrine I included some beef as a filler meat, but no lard, which left it not as unctuous as it ought to have been. A small amount of veal was included in addition to the pheasant meat in the pâté. The crust was made with suet (which I should have chopped more finely). Both tasted quite nice, though.

#379 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

except for the posstaccios :blink: ,

Yum!

#380 pep.

pep.
  • society donor
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yum!

You don't like pistachios? I'm tempted to say "but they are the best part", but that's not quite true. I do think they add a nice textural element, though.

#381 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

maybe some other nut? for some reason I just cant stand them. but they appear often in terrines so someone thinks this adds something. and mortadella, etc. fortunately there are versions of The Mort w/o a fav. here

but your stuff really does look stunning!

#382 Baron d'Apcher

Baron d'Apcher
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

The aforeposted pictures and a detailed recipe were assessed by the Pâté Croûte committee and was deemed up to snuff by Le President des Tocques Blanches (Christophe Marguin), securing me a place among the 12 finalists. I am the first (and so far only) American (though I am also a French citizen) to have qualified for the competition (the 4th edition) and will have the undesirable handicap of having traveled the farthest with 3 pâtés and accoutrements stowed at the mercy of baggage handlers on both sides of the Atlantic. I will compete (on behalf of Bryan Voltaggio's Range restaurant in Friendship Heights, Washington DC) against chefs from tiny kitchens and 7 Michelin star rated brigades then be judged by MOF’s and experts in the craft. Thank you to Egullet and its members for allowing me a venue to show my work.

Highlights from the past competitions:
CMPC 2009
CMPC 2010
CMPC 2011

2.0 Special Cocoa Edition:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#383 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Amazing work! I wish you good luck, Baron.

#384 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

thanks you and good luck!

wish the vids were much longer!

#385 boondocker

boondocker
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Yum!

You don't like pistachios? I'm tempted to say "but they are the best part", but that's not quite true. I do think they add a nice textural element, though.

maybe some other nut? for some reason I just cant stand them. but they appear often in terrines so someone thinks this adds something. and mortadella, etc. fortunately there are versions of The Mort w/o a fav. here

I love to use pistachios also, but my chef is allergic to tree nuts so 95% of the time I have to substitute to get that textural feel. whole or slightly crushed pumpkin seeds seem to work the best. Coarse ground pumpkin seeds tend to meld into the pate too much and sunflower seeds are a little too small also, perhaps roasted and used sparingly with confeed gizzards and hearts they would work well though.

The aforeposted pictures and a detailed recipe were assessed by the Pâté Croûte committee and was deemed up to snuff by Le President des Tocques Blanches (Christophe Marguin), securing me a place among the 12 finalists. I am the first (and so far only) American (though I am also a French citizen) to have qualified for the competition (the 4th edition) and will have the undesirable handicap of having traveled the farthest with 3 pâtés and accoutrements stowed at the mercy of baggage handlers on both sides of the Atlantic. I will compete (on behalf of Bryan Voltaggio's Range restaurant in Friendship Heights, Washington DC) against chefs from tiny kitchens and 7 Michelin star rated brigades then be judged by MOF’s and experts in the craft. Thank you to Egullet and its members for allowing me a venue to show my work.

Congratulations Baron! Good luck, I look forward to hearing about the competition.

#386 pep.

pep.
  • society donor
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

Yum!

I love to use pistachios also, but my chef is allergic to tree nuts so 95% of the time I have to substitute to get that textural feel. whole or slightly crushed pumpkin seeds seem to work the best. Coarse ground pumpkin seeds tend to meld into the pate too much and sunflower seeds are a little too small also, perhaps roasted and used sparingly with confeed gizzards and hearts they would work well though.

With pistachios, I think it's not just the textural element, but also the color. Sunflower seeds or even other nuts simply won't stand out the same way. Pumpkin should work in that regard, though. Personally, I would not crush them for use in a terrine or pâté.

#387 boondocker

boondocker
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Agreed nothing contrasts as nicely as pistachio. green peppercorns are too dark. died cherries work nicely in that regard if the pate is light enough, but with lots of liver in tge pate its usually too red for that. I find that whole pumpkin seeds have a habit of finding their way to the outside of the forcemeat leading to undesirable slices with the seed falling out though.

#388 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Spectacular as always, Baron; you do your restaurant proud. Congratulations on reaching the finals and let us know how it all comes out. Exciting for you.

#389 Hendrik

Hendrik
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

Wow that's amazing Baron. Good luck in the competition!

#390 ldubois2

ldubois2
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Looking for advice: Pre-novice at this...for Thanksgiving made the Country Pate from the Dean and Delucca cook book. I made it without too much forethought, going to my local butcher thinking they'd have pork fat. Ha! With a need to improvise, I purchased very fatty salt pork, removed the fat and substitued after soaking it to remove some of the salt. Cut the meat manually as suggested, and it turned out ok.

After reading much of this thread (and loving the pictures) I am now ready to try again. I have Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook and plan to do pate de campagne. Problem: Pork liver. My local, better grocer has veal liver and I purchased that on impulse when they did not have pork fat...now think it is likely too delicate a flavor, am I right? Would there be something better to use? These guys will save pork fat for me and have ordered that. They would not slice fat to line the mold, and had nothing they'd suggest.

After I made the original Thanksgiving pate I looked on line to see if I could purchase jawl fat (what the Dean and Delucca says is the best option) and in error purchased caul fat. Jowl, caul...know the difference now. I received 10 pounds of caul fat which I divided into small packets and have frozen. (available in the US on Amazon.com).

Also the D&D did not suggest weighing it down. It was tasty but crumbled, pieces did not stay together once sliced.

Thank you for any help. Making gravlax and sausage for Christmas and this will be a great addition!