Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Man. Machine. Magazine.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:08 PM

My first egullet post! I loved this article so much and I was inspired to search for some of the Pleasures of Cooking on ebay. I am proud to report that I got 6 issues for $21.51 including shipping!! I can't wait to get them. Maggie, I love reading your posts - finding egullet has been like finding 'my people'!

#32 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:35 AM

Kim, welcome to eGullet. I found "my people" here too -- lets hear lots more from you.

Thanks for your kind words, and congratulations on your eBay haul.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#33 Jennifer Iannolo

Jennifer Iannolo
  • participating member
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:58 AM

Maggie, I am now craving marshmallows at 7:00 AM. That's just not right. :blink:

Thank you so much for this culinary voyage, and for a look at what cooking used to mean in the pages of glossy magazines. That the set sold for such an amount proves that there are still plenty of serious cooks left, and it makes me want to dance a jig.

I bought my first Cuisinart a couple of years ago, and life has never been the same. Now, time to go conjure up some corn syrup...

:wub:
Jennifer L. Iannolo
Founder, Editor-in-Chief
The Gilded Fork™
Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.
Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)

#34 ada

ada
  • legacy participant
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:24 PM

Maggie, ever since you wrote this article there has been a run on The Pleasures of Cooking Magazine on Ebay. Anyone that is interested should probably get them now because they're really cheap. After some time, I'm sure they'll disappear again.

#35 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:37 PM

Maggie, ever since you wrote this article there has been a run on The Pleasures of Cooking Magazine on Ebay. Anyone that is interested should probably get them now because they're really cheap. After some time, I'm sure they'll disappear again.

View Post

Ada: Thanks for the heads up: I might check for the issues (a couple) I'm missing. Some smart publisher should reissue them in one form or another.

Are you enjoying your copies?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

#36 ada

ada
  • legacy participant
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:31 AM

I'm so happy that I have them. I did buy more on Ebay at a fraction of the price, but they are not in mint condition (but very good). Since they came in batches, I have extras. If you let me know what issues you need, I may have them and would be happy to send them to you.

#37 Verdandi36

Verdandi36
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hello there!

First of all, this is a fantastic article, and I was chuffed to read it when it came up in my google search.

Second, I was wondering if you could give me a bit of help. My mom subscribed to The Pleasures of Cooking, and many of her favorite recipes came from there. However, the basement recently flooded and took her magazine archive as casualties. Since no enterprising adolescent has made a torrent of the magazines (probably because the came out before he/she was born) I haven't been able to find the recipes.

She was planning to make the Scottish Broth (if that's what it was called - it might be "lamb broth") from Volume 4, #5, p27 (yes, she used it so much she even remembered the page number). If anyone has this issue, could you please give me the recipe? It would really make my mother's day.

Thank you.

#38 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hello there!

First of all, this is a fantastic article, and I was chuffed to read it when it came up in my google search.

Second, I was wondering if you could give me a bit of help. My mom subscribed to The Pleasures of Cooking, and many of her favorite recipes came from there. However, the basement recently flooded and took her magazine archive as casualties. Since no enterprising adolescent has made a torrent of the magazines (probably because the came out before he/she was born) I haven't been able to find the recipes.

She was planning to make the Scottish Broth (if that's what it was called - it might be "lamb broth") from Volume 4, #5, p27 (yes, she used it so much she even remembered the page number). If anyone has this issue, could you please give me the recipe? It would really make my mother's day.

Thank you.

I'll check out my stack; if I have it I'll send it to you.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com