Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Kosher deli/markets in Seattle?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Susansea2003

Susansea2003
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:16 PM

Friends of mine are planning a seder in a couple of weeks and are looking for a good source for some prepared kosher foods. My friend mentioned matzoh ball soup, pickled beets, and decent kosher wine (if it exists) . . . Any recommendations for a good deli or market?

#2 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

Albertson's looks like they have a lot of great stuff for Passover :biggrin:
Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

#3 wesza

wesza
  • participating member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:50 PM

Friends of mine are planning a seder in a couple of weeks and are looking for a good source for some prepared kosher foods.  My friend mentioned matzoh ball soup, pickled beets, and decent kosher wine (if it exists) . . . Any recommendations for a good deli or market?

View Post

Susansea2003:

The best Supermarkets for "Passover Foods" in Seattle are:

"QFC" in Seward Park on Rainer Avenue

"QFC" in University Shopping Center

"Albertsons" on Mercer Island

Many other stores may have a few items, but the 3 stores mentioned have full Kosher Meat and Fish Departments with a large variety of merchandise.

I believe that all 3 are supervised by the "Seattle Vaad" for Kasheruth.

Irwin

Edited thanks to Michael [MGLloyd]: Vashon Island to Mercer Island

Edited by wesza, 11 April 2005 - 12:43 PM.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

#4 MGLloyd

MGLloyd
  • participating member
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:20 AM

Susansea2003:

"Albertsons" on Vashon Island

Many other stores may have a few items, but the 3 stores mentioned have full Kosher Meat and Fish Departments with a large variety of merchandise.

Irwin

View Post

I lived on Vashon for several years, and there is no Albertson's on the Island. There is Beck's and Thriftway. Thriftway is the larger of the two stores, but insofar as I recall, they don't have a Kosher meat or fish department; and I suspect there is not a large enough population on the Island keeping Kosher to support one.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington USA

#5 wesza

wesza
  • participating member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:27 PM

Susansea2003:

"Albertsons" on Vashon Island

Irwin

View Post

I lived on Vashon for several years, and there is no Albertson's on the Island. There is Beck's and Thriftway. Thriftway is the larger of the two stores, but insofar as I recall, they don't have a Kosher meat or fish department; and I suspect there is not a large enough population on the Island keeping Kosher to support one.

View Post

WOW ! Michael, "Thank you" ! You are absolulely right.

I somehow wrote "Vashon Island" when I meant "Mercer Island" there is definitely a difference in the locations Vashon being in Puget Sound and Mercer located on Lake Washington between Bellevue and Seattle.
I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

#6 Eden

Eden
  • participating member
  • 959 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:40 AM

The Vineyard wineshop in Greenwood carries kosher wines that are quite drinkable, not the nasty stuff we used to have to put up with...

There's a wonderful little deli down near Pike Place Market "kosher delight" that makes really good matzoh ball soup :wub:

also check out this link for additional Kosher shopping options.
Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...