Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Hot Cross Buns

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 melmck

melmck
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:20 PM

...I don't find the perfect recipe. Well, perfect in my mind -- the ones I grew up on from Hough's Bakery around Cleveland,anyone out there who's experienced them knows what I'm talkin' 'bout. The majority of HCB out there are too bready, too briochey, too dry or hard or taste like citron. these were a cross between cake and bread, and the sugar was crusted, maybe sugar and whites, not an icing but this yummy crusty sugar cross. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm damn they were good. so throw me your favorite HCB recipes, let's try to perfect that one too, like the choc cake thread...
:rolleyes:
Melissa McKinney
Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery
mel@criollobakery.com

#2 sarah o

sarah o
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:46 PM

Made these 2 weeks ago and i thought they were excellent. i put extra cardamom in also. :wub: Even tho i am not a big fan of emeril they came out great.

http://www.foodnetwo...6_10138,00.html

#3 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:31 PM

What I love best about hot cross buns is the spice. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, plus allspice, plenty of pepper, and a little cumin for warmth. Cloves or cardamom if you like.

I liked Elizabeth David's sweet spice mix, but no longer have her Bread and Yeast Cookery book.

#4 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

Mmmm... a crusty sugar cross. I hope someone's got an idea for you. I tried this recipe on epicurious.com and was pleased with the flavour although I'm not sure it's the texture you want. It has a glaze of egg and sugar that gives the buns a crisp outside that is nice. I didn't do pastry crosses though. That just seems yucky to me. I like icing crosses but they usually get a bit gooey so I'd totally be interested in a recipe for crusty ones.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#5 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

Sweet crusty crosses...marzipan? Or marzipan kneaded together with sugar crystals and/or chopped nuts and applied in ropes...

#6 aidensnd

aidensnd
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:21 PM

We made them at a bakery I worked at awhile ago. As far as I remember the crosses were piped on with a combo of frangipane and ..... I can't remember what we mixed it with. But perhaps just frangipane might be good.

#7 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:59 AM

Adapted from Dan Lepard's recipe. Makes 24.

Sponge:
200g strong white flour
200ml water
Yeast ( I use Tbs sourdough starter, but can use packet)
Ferment until bubbly (4 hours at 85F for sourdough)

Dough
870g strong white flour
Pinch vitamin C
230ml water
25g skimmed milk powder
100g caster sugar
15 g salt
85g butter
1 egg
40g mixed sweet spice
Saffron (optional)
100g raisins
70g chopped dried apricots
80g chopped candied peel
Mix dough; bulk feremtn (4 hours 85F for sourdough), turning at intervals; divide, scale, shape; prove (1 hour) or retard overnight in fridge;

Piping paste
4 Tbs white flour
1 Tbs caster sugar
1 Tbs water
Mix to piping consistency
Mak a cross on the top of each but with a skewer or chopstick or the back of a knife; brush with egg glaze (egg yolk, milk); pipe a cross

Bake 30-40 mins; glaze with syrup (100g sugar 50g water) while hot

#8 danlepard

danlepard
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:42 AM

ahhhhh...40g mixed spice a misprint in "baking with passion". reduce it to 2 tsp.
The changes sound good Jack. Tasted a very good sourdough fruit bun last Easter in Melbourne at Baker Chirico (Fitzroy Street). It's something that bakers in the UK should try and do.
regards
Dan

(later)
Bakers in England used to stamp the buns with a metal or wooden cross, so that the buns were almost segmented like a four-leaf clover. The piping was introduced much later. You could press a butter knife into the dough twice just before baking to get the same effect.

Edited by danlepard, 12 March 2005 - 12:46 AM.

#9 lemon curd

lemon curd
  • participating member
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

Mmmm... a crusty sugar cross. I hope someone's got an idea for you. I tried this recipe on epicurious.com and was pleased with the flavour although I'm not sure it's the texture you want. It has a glaze of egg and sugar that gives the buns a crisp outside that is nice. I didn't do pastry crosses though. That just seems yucky to me. I like icing crosses but they usually get a bit gooey so I'd totally be interested in a recipe for crusty ones.

View Post

I was also pleased with the epicurious recipe. I made them today for breakfast but used the Dan Lepard recipe for the piping paste (see jackal10's post above). I was really pleased with the results. I didn't use zest as per the epicurious recipe but substituted candied organic grapefruit and orange zest. The leftover sugar/water mixture used for candying the zest also became the glaze for the hot cross buns as they came out of the oven.

Posted Image
Support your local farmer

Currently reading:
The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:
The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon