Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking with "All About Braising" by Molly Stevens (Part 1)

Cookbook

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
584 replies to this topic

#571 Mottmott

Mottmott
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

I should have had this cookbook overnighted to me, as the wait for it was excruciating!  Thanks to all the thread contributors that sold me on it!

Having more bone-in skin-on chicken breast in my freezer than anyone should (thanks to a B1G1 free sale at CostCo) and realizing I had everything else need except for hard cider, I decided to make Chicken Breast Braised with Hard Cider & Parsnips on my virgin voyage into this book.

I used 4 oz of my homemade maple-cured smoked bacon and Woodchuck Amber Hard Cider.  I can say that I wish I had more options for Hard Cider as I would have liked something a bit more dry than sweet, but the store I went to had a limited selection  But that is such a small complaint as the dish was incredible! 

You will have to forgive the lackluster presentation, as this was made just for fun for lunch, and was only served to me :)

Can't wait to pick a second thing to make from it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jamie

View Post

Reading this inspires me. I have some cider hardening in the fridge and will get the chicken tomorrow. The weather's finally turned here; alas, it was pleasant hanging out in the park on Thursday, without even a jacket, as my gkids fed the spoiled rotten Wissahickon ducks who don't even have to dive for dinner much less make it. :wink:
"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

#572 Mottmott

Mottmott
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:52 PM

This weekend I made the World's Best Cabbage.  I wouldn't go as far as calling it the best, but it was certainly very good.

View Post

Ok, if this isn't the BEST, which is? Or what would you do to this recipe to make it THE best?
"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

#573 Lori in PA

Lori in PA
  • participating member
  • 702 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:21 AM

I got this book for Christmas -- what to make first, what to make first? I had borrowed it with interlibrary loan a year or so ago and made a few things -- I especially liked the Bisteces Rancheros. It seems like there was a particular vegetable dish everyone was raving about earlier on this thread, but I don't have time to reread all twenty pages. Anybody have a rec or three for me?
~ Lori in PA
My blog: http://inmykitchenin...e.blogspot.com/
My egullet blog: http://forums.egulle...topic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."
- Julia Child

#574 Eilen

Eilen
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:02 PM

Lori, I seem to remember Chufi enjoying the recipe for end of season green beans, though it may be a bit too end of season now!

I really like the braised chicken breasts with hard cider and parsnips, though I cut the cider with chicken stock and use a bit less rosemary. There's a picture of it on this page--it's really good!

I also made the stuffed cornish game hens; I love game hens, though, so I might be a bit too partial to recipes containing them.

Hope you enjoy your new book!

#575 snowangel

snowangel
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

I got this book for Christmas -- what to make first, what to make first? I had borrowed it with interlibrary loan a year or so ago and made a few things -- I especially liked the Bisteces Rancheros. It seems like there was a particular vegetable dish everyone was raving about earlier on this thread, but I don't have time to reread all twenty pages. Anybody have a rec or three for me?

View Post

Lori, if you still have brussels sprouts, her recipe will make lovers out of haters. Oh, and the braised leeks are wonderful. Be sure and make plenty so you have leftovers for a quiche!

For the other thing, got anything hanging out in the freezer that should go? What's on special at the market this week? I have many favorites from the meat categories, so give me some guidance!
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#576 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

I got this book for Christmas too and so spent a couple of hours yesterday reading through this entire thread (again).

Boneless chuck roasts are on sale for 2.99/lb this week so I'm going to pick up a few of those and go from there!

#577 Della

Della
  • participating member
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:08 PM

I got this book for Christmas too and so spent a couple of hours yesterday reading through this entire thread (again).

Boneless chuck roasts are on sale for 2.99/lb this week so I'm going to pick up a few of those and go from there!

View Post

It's a great book! I'm trying to decide what to make this weekend myelf.

#578 Lori in PA

Lori in PA
  • participating member
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

I have chicken leg quarters in the fridge -- trouble is that I don't seem to have some of the more "specialized" spices/herbs needed for most of the recipes. I may do the chicken with artichokes and mushrooms.
~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

#579 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:13 PM

My first foray into the book will be Bistecos Ranchero (or however it's spelt).

I did buy the potatoes for it, even though most people here thought they were a "third wheel" in the dish. Not sure if I'll use them or not.

#580 Lori in PA

Lori in PA
  • participating member
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:48 PM

I liked the potatoes in them, but I can see that they'd be just fine without them also.

I made the Chicken Do-Piaza (Indian spiced chicken smothered with onions) for dinner tonight. I used skinless, bone-in legs and thighs instead of just thighs. Unfortunately, I have a terrible cold and was unable to get much of the flavor. My kids liked it, but The Husband isn't a huge fan of Indian food, so he's non-commital.
~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

#581 Della

Della
  • participating member
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:15 PM

My first foray into the book will be Bistecos Ranchero (or however it's spelt).

I did buy the potatoes for it, even though most people here thought they were a "third wheel" in the dish. Not sure if I'll use them or not.

View Post

I made that dish a few weeks ago and we loved it. I could leave or take the potatoes but Greg LOVED them and thought we should add even more next time. And he is usually just so-so on starch and all about the meat.

I would suggest making the dish with all the ingrediants the first time you make it and then you can adjust the next time if you like the dish...........let me know how you like it!

#582 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:33 PM

I would suggest making the dish with all the ingrediants the first time you make it and then you can adjust the next time if you like the dish...........let me know how you like it!

View Post

That's exactly what I've done (except I bought 3 peppers instead of 2). It's in the oven right now!

#583 Della

Della
  • participating member
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:53 PM

View Post

That's exactly what I've done (except I bought 3 peppers instead of 2). It's in the oven right now!

View Post

Very cool! Now that I think of it I think I added an extra pepper and a couple of jalepenos when I did it :biggrin:
I have a couple pics but I accidentally (not thinking) put them on my mom's computer in another town and with her dial up - took too long to upload. I'm hoping I can explain to her how to put them on a disc and mail to me.(i have more than food pics :wacko: )
Anyway - let us know how dinner turns out!

#584 reverendtmac

reverendtmac
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

Met my girlfriend's parents for the first time on Saturday night - and to make matters twice as stressful, she and I decided to cook dinner for them. Or we decided that I'd cook for them. Anyway. Thankfully, I had a couple of weeks to get an idea of what to make, and I finally decided on Molly's recipe for grillades.

Grabbed a beautiful 2.5lb top round steak from my butcher, took it to her place, and realized that I didn't have any mallets to beat the things down to a 1/4" from the close to 3/4" thickness I bought it at...so I wrapped a wine bottle in a plastic bag and beat the everloving hell out of it as best I could. I could only really compress it to about a 1/2" with my inferior tools (although I did give some thought to wrapping it in a box of saran wrap and running it over with my car). Because of that, it wasn't as tender as I'd have liked, even after increasing the simmering time. Next time I'm gonna get my guys at Dean's to slice the thing in half length-wise for me before I begin.

Even so, the dish was *wonderful*.

The roux was better than anything I've ever made for gumbo, despite my doubts after only bringing it to a light brown (I usually go for the hershey bar look). Rich, full, just beautiful. I might have to modify my gumbo recipe (well, more than usual, anyway). Nobody except me is a big fan of grits, so I opted for rice instead...nice green salad, good bread, a really nice bottle of Bordeaux. Started off with a nice baked brie with pecans, brown sugar and brandy, and took 'em to a local bistro for dessert and espresso.

Her parents now want to know when they can come down for dinner again :laugh:
Todd McGillivray
"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

#585 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

View Post

View Post

Well, I came back to report on my first foray into the book and eGullet was undergoing its transformation!

So, the bisteces rancheros was really good. I kind of wish now that I hadn't put the extra pepper in; it added heat to the dish but I think I would have preferred just the flavour of the pepper. That being said, I find that peppers (even of the same variety) will vary on their heat index depending on when (or where) I buy them so I might just go ahead and use 3 again next time.

During eGullet's re-org, I also made the "World's Best Braised Cabbage" (the balsamic version). Although not "the world's best", it was pretty damn good. I used my regular balsamic vinegar from Bariani for it; next time, I might try it with what we lovingly call "the fig shit"...18-year old fig balsamic vinegar from Spenger's.

Tomorrow I'm going to try my own braise, using the reference section at the beginning of the book as a guide. I took a pork shoulder roast out of the freezer this morning. I'll make up a marinade tonight and marinate it overnight so that it will be ready for cooking tomorrow.

[Moderator's note: This topic continues here: Cooking with "All About Braising" by Molly Stevens (Part 2)]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook