Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Most unusual cuisine or dish

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:11 PM

In all your years of dining out and reviewing, do any cuisines or dishes stand out as particular unusual to you? I await your answer with curiosity.

#2 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:32 PM

I have to say, I just don't get fermented tofu. I consider myself open to just about anything -- insects, coxcombs, monkey -- but clearly the cultural background necessary to find this particular odor attractive is lacking. It's worse -- far worse -- than durian, the notoriously stinky fruit, which to me smells merely like rotting garbage than dog poop. I forget who it was who said that every great wine has some aroma in the mix that is disgusting -- but I do enjoy a certain fetid quality in a wine. But fermented tofu, and natto, I just don't know.