Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

A Day In The Life...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:52 PM

Could you please describe a typical day for us when you were writing under the auspices of this column?

(I realize that most days tend to be fairly atypical, but I was wondering exactly just how much time gets spent eating. :wink: )

Soba

#2 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:54 PM

I hesitate to answer this question, only because it's so mundane. Go to lunch, go home and download notes into computer. Go to dinner and do the same. Spend too long on the subway, or looking for a parking spot. Spend hours on the phone drumming up companions for dinner next week. Walk down the street in the East Village/Jackson Heights/wherever and stop and read every menu because I just can't help it! Throw in pick up kids/drop off kids, etc., etc., and you get the idea. Oh yeah, at some point sit down and write.

Roger Kahn, the baseball writer, once told me a cautionary tale. He said he got tired of all the people who kept telling him how lucky he was to get paid to watch baseball. He said his response was, "I don't get paid to watch baseball. I get paid to write about baseball.'' Same with eating......