Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

what is your opinion of Indian restaurants in UK?

Indian

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 mrsadm

mrsadm
  • participating member
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:51 AM

<snip>
I am surprised to hear that Chutney Mary has not been given better reviews by you guys.  After all it is one of the restaurants done by the famous and very well respected Punjabi sisters (Camelia and Namita, Camelia of Taj fame).  What is it that does not work about Chutney Mary? 

View Post

I absolutely adored the food at Chutney Mary's last time I was there (granted it was over a year ago). I don't know enough about traditional Indian food to say how authentic it was, but it sure was delicious.
"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

#32 v. gautam

v. gautam
  • participating member
  • 631 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

Speaking of "Benares", its chef Arun Kochar has this review:

Lahori Karahi House
777 London Road, Hounslow, Middlesex, 020-8577 3344

This place serves typically Muslim dishes, very Pakistani street food in style, which I love. The chef is a dab hand with lamb, and does a wonderful lamb kidney dish, gurda kaleji masala, spiced with black cardamom and black pepper. Definitely my favourite takeaway.

http://lifeandhealth...2271181,00.html

For more reviews by current residents of London who are native South Asians you could try here:

http://www.anothersu...p?showtopic=280

#33 Channie

Channie
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

I very much enjoyed a recent meal at Kastoori in London (Tooting). It's vegetarian, and run by a Gujarati family that spent time in Uganda, and the food is said to reflect both. It certainly isn't typical curry house fare -- not a madras or vindaloo in sight! Most of the dishes were new to me, and each was a revelation in its own way. There were dishes with cabbage, drumsticks, karela, kontola, green bananas, mustard leaves, etc. It was a delicious learning experience!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Indian