Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Maraschino Liqueur

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:47 PM

Phil Ward, of Pegu Club and Flatiron Lounge, came up with an interesting and delicious variation called the "Final Ward." It's equal parts Rittenhouse bonded rye, lemon juice, maraschino and green Chartreuse.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#62 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

Found this tasty sounding recipe, as it is blueberry season, on the Luxardo site:

Tequila Smash

(created by Jim Meehan from the Pegu Club Soho - NY)

* 2 ounces Herradura Silver
* 1/2 ounce lime juice
* 1/2 ounce Luxardo Maraschino
* 4 muddled luxardo cherries
* 4 muddled blueberries

Muddle ingredients in a mixing glass. Add ice, shake well, and strain into a rocks glass with ice. Garnish with a blueberry skewered with a lime wheel and cherry.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#63 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

Luxardo cherries are incredibly awesome. Seek them out. Hoard them. Eat them by yourself when your friends aren't around. Let those ingrates have the regular cherries.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#64 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:14 PM

Hoard them is right. They are incredibly hard to find. They used to be somewhat available at Dean and Deluca, but somehow they started to dissapear when a certain bar opened up close by. :rolleyes:

I have one lone, sad little jar left.

Edited by johnder, 15 August 2006 - 02:14 PM.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#65 Martin Doudoroff

Martin Doudoroff
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:00 PM

A few bits on Maraschino cherries and Maraschino liqueur:

First, there are three Maraschinos available in the U.S. (your mileage may vary): Stock, Luxardo, and Maraska. For many years, Stock's was all we could get in NYC; it's a bit simplistic, but we were grateful to have it. Luxardo's Maraschino became available again, several years ago, and there was much rejoicing, although I've always found Luxardo excessively woody. Maraska is a lesser-known Adriatic company that, comparable to Luxardo, produces an array of regional products. Its distribution has been a bit dicey, but their products are currently available in New York--at least--and they produce my favorite (by a mile) Maraschino.

As of this writing, you might be able to mail-order Maraska Maraschino from here:
http://www.wineglobe.com/12716.html

Second, Toby Cecchini (Passerby, in NYC) did a nice piece for the NYTimes on May 1, 2005 (search the Times site on "Cecchini maraschino") on this topic. Besides his research, which is interesting, he explains a very effective and accessible way to produce your own macerated cherries after the original (essentially defunct) style: drop by Whole Foods and pick up a bag of Cascadian Farms Frozen Whole Organic Sweet Cherries, dump them in a mason jar, and cover with Maraschino. Better yet, divide them into three mason jars, top one with Marashino, one with bourbon, and one with cognac. Let 'em sit for three days. Eat. I've had them. They're good. Oh, and they LOOK good, too. Note that their taste will continue to evolve over time. For a while, that's a good thing. Eventually, the cherries may become too woody to be palatable (at least to me; maybe some of you California Chardonnay fans will like them that way?).

#66 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,627 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

I'm enjoying my first Martinez a la Regan's Joy: 2 oz Tanqueray, 1 oz NP sweet vermouth, 1/4 oz Luxardo, 2 dashes Angostura. Amazing to think that the drink is over 100 years old.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#67 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:20 AM

Second, Toby Cecchini (Passerby, in NYC) did a nice piece for the NYTimes on May 1, 2005 (search the Times site on "Cecchini maraschino") on this topic. Besides his research, which is interesting, he explains a very effective and accessible way to produce your own macerated cherries after the original (essentially defunct) style. . .

As chance would have it, we have a thread going on making Maraschino Cherries (plus variations) at home. I've had some going with NY State sour cherries, Maraska and a touch of simple syrup for a while.

Posted Image

This particular jar can now be found in one of the refrigerators at Pegu Club.

Luxardo cherries strike me as yet another category of cherry. Not really maraschino cherries, as I understand them.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#68 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

Can anyone tell me what kind of shelf life maraschino will have after I open the bottle? I picked up some Luxardo back in December, and have been itching to try it. I'd love to know whether I should barrel through it once it's open, or whether I can take the time to savor it.

Thanks!
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#69 cdh

cdh
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:40 AM

Don't worry about it. I still have some Luxardo so old it has a federal tax stamp on it, and it tastes as good as new... or better.
Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#70 stickyii

stickyii
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

I've had my bottle for over a year now, and it tastes just as fine as it did on day one.
Rick
Pennsylvania

Kaiser Penguin

#71 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:57 AM

Maraschino's a bit different from most liqueurs, in that it is distilled.

Liqueurs based on the infusion of ingredients, do tend to lose some zip over time (years). Liqueurs based on dairy and egg have a shelf life after opening and may go bad or coagulate (congeal?).

However, distilled liqueurs, like Maraschino, Chartreuse, and Benedictine, last pretty much forever.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#72 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

Maraschino's a bit different from most liqueurs, in that it is distilled.

Liqueurs based on the infusion of ingredients, do tend to lose some zip over time (years).  Liqueurs based on dairy and egg have a shelf life after opening and may go bad or coagulate (congeal?).

However, distilled liqueurs, like Maraschino, Chartreuse, and Benedictine, last pretty much forever.

View Post

distillation has its merits and its draw backs.....

with distillation there can be alot of "art" in what can be extracted as far as oils go and the ability stay away from alot of bitter. though distillation can leave alot behind. (good and bad)

it was explained to me that infusion can be superior if you have great filtration technique....due to specific gravities alot of aromatic substances come to the forefront and you can get liqueurs that are much more perfumey.... though these oils can easily evaporate and you can see why their shelf life could decline....

cherry liqeueurs IMO are best in the style of a "ratafia" and I make a verion from the seeds of a compeletely different fruit that gives alot of the cherries a run for their money.... it is like wine, one or two things go in and alot comes out.... sometimes a different fruit than you started with.... just like amaretto.... i bet the peach in southern comfort comes from woodruffe root and not peach pits....

but another amazing cherryesque liqueur to check out is "elisir gambrinus" by the wine maker sergio Zanato..... he takes this weed grape called ribasso which makes horrible watery wine completely dominated by a one sided marasca cherry and reduces it slowly to concentrate it..... it is then sweetened by cane sugar and fortified with grappa.... it might spend a couple years in oak as well.... the price is totally reasonable and the sugar and alcohol content is perfect for cocktails.....

at the restaurant we use alot of those wine and liqueur makers techniques..... i was inspired by zenato and make my own wine reduction like "sapa" for sangria and merry it with Cava..... i throw in some micro seasonal fruits. etc.....

"kalimocho".... basque country sangria.... keeps it so fresh, economical, saves alot of bar space because i make it to order and don't poor it from a giant jug....

you can learn alot from those liqueur makers..... cheers!
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#73 jmfangio

jmfangio
  • participating member
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

Glad to see that this thread got bumped back to the first page, since I haven't seen it since I became a participating member. Here are a couple of Maraschino favorites that I haven't found anywhere else on the boards. The first is a Sidecar variation that I saw in an article in Wine Enthusiast magazine:

2 ounces Cognac
1 ounce Cointreau
1/4 ounce Maraschino liqueur
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 lemon twist, for garnish

This is now my favorite version of the Sidecar. The first time I made it for a mixology obsessed friend of mine, someone who prides herself on her Sidecars and one of the people who inspired my obsession, it nearly brought to her eyes in a 'the pupil has surpassed the master' kind of way.

I'm also a big fan of the Seventh Heaven #2, essentially an Aviation with grapefruit juice instead of lemon. It's in the Savoy Cocktail Book, but this is the recipe from Difford's Guide.

2 1/4 ounces Gin
3/4 ounce Maraschino liqueur
1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
1 mint sprig, for garnish

For those of you who live in Los Angeles, Jons Market on La Brea and Fountain has the Maraska maraschino liqueur for $15. Geographically, the market is right in between the Russian and Armenian communities in LA, and they have a lot of Eastern European liqueurs and Russian vodkas that I've never seen before.

Edited by jmfangio, 25 March 2007 - 07:23 PM.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

#74 jlo mein

jlo mein
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for bringing up this thread. Family were able to bring a bottle of Maraska Maraschino back from Seattle for me a couple days ago, as there is no Maraschino available in Vancouver at all. Hopefully there are some awesome recipes in this thead once I read through it.

#75 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

I've also had no success tracking down maraschino liqueur here in Vancouver, like jlo mein mentioned above (I've actually posted in another thread hoping someone would have a local lead on it). Anyway, short of making a cross-border run, how close is kirsch to maraschino liqueur? What is the taste profile (sweetness, etc.)? Thanks!

#76 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

I've also had no success tracking down maraschino liqueur here in Vancouver, like jlo mein mentioned above (I've actually posted in another thread hoping someone would have a local lead on it).  Anyway, short of making a cross-border run, how close is kirsch to maraschino liqueur?  What is the taste profile (sweetness, etc.)?  Thanks!

View Post

The main difference being kirsch is a distilled spirit and maraschino a liqueur.

Sort of like the difference between Scotch and Drambuie.

A few other differences.

Kirsch, being an Eau de Vie, is not typically aged. The base spirit of Maraschino may spend a couple years in wood before being sweetened and bottled.

Not all Kirsch is made from a whole fruit distillation. Some is made just from fermented cherry juice. The base spirit of Maraschino liqueur typically involves the pits, giving it a slight almond-like flavor.

I've never tried to sweeten a kirsch and then compare it to Maraschino. Anyone?

Once in desperation, determined to make something like Floridita Daiquiris in a place where I couldn't find Maraschino, I did mix a 2-1 sugar syrup with a blue plum eau de vie. It was actually not a horrible substitution.

Oh, and I will point out, that a lot of the stuff labeled kirsch or kirschwasser in the US is really awful. Some of the products from LeRoux and others are artificially flavored and sweetened, not Kirsch at all.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#77 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

I've also had no success tracking down maraschino liqueur here in Vancouver, like jlo mein mentioned above (I've actually posted in another thread hoping someone would have a local lead on it).  Anyway, short of making a cross-border run, how close is kirsch to maraschino liqueur?  What is the taste profile (sweetness, etc.)?  Thanks!

View Post

The main difference being kirsch is a distilled spirit and maraschino a liqueur.

Sort of like the difference between Scotch and Drambuie.

A few other differences.

Kirsch, being an Eau de Vie, is not typically aged. The base spirit of Maraschino may spend a couple years in wood before being sweetened and bottled.

Not all Kirsch is made from a whole fruit distillation. Some is made just from fermented cherry juice. The base spirit of Maraschino liqueur typically involves the pits, giving it a slight almond-like flavor.

I've never tried to sweeten a kirsch and then compare it to Maraschino. Anyone?

Once in desperation, determined to make something like Floridita Daiquiris in a place where I couldn't find Maraschino, I did mix a 2-1 sugar syrup with a blue plum eau de vie. It was actually not a horrible substitution.

Oh, and I will point out, that a lot of the stuff labeled kirsch or kirschwasser in the US is really awful. Some of the products from LeRoux and others are artificially flavored and sweetened, not Kirsch at all.

View Post

I would also add to that that the process for making Kirsch includes the cherries and their pits, imparting a very nutty character, whereas Maraschino (to my understanding) includes some of the stems and leaves in there as well, imparting a characteristic not unlike grappa. It also has, to my taste, a distinct funk similar to that found in tequila, cachaca, etc.

-Andy
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#78 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

A few points:
  • Kirschwasser is not an acceptable substitute for maraschino
  • Maraschino is a distilled spirit of the whole cherry. Luxardo pits the cherries, distills the pits and fruit separately, combines them later, ages for 2 years in larch wood vats, adds sugar and dilutes to bottle proof. I don't know whether Maraska has a similar or equivalent process.
  • I wouldn't say that the main difference between kirschwasser and maraschino is that one is a distilled spirit and one is a liqueur. They are both distilled spirits. Maraschino is sweetened and diluted, and maraschino also uses the pits. Kirschwasser is dry and high proof, and I'm not aware of any kirschwasser that actively distills the pits as is done for maraschino.
  • Erik, I see where you're going by likening the difference to the difference between scotch and Drambuie, but it's really a different kind of difference. Drambuie starts off with scotch, then it is infused with herbs and sweetened. Maraschino starts off as a completely different spirit (I don't think an unaged, unsweetened maraschino would taste like kirschwasser), and is simply sweetened without the any flavorings being added.
Unfortunately for those who can't get it, there really is no acceptable substitute for maraschino liqueur. Fortunately for those of us who can get it, this is because it is such a distinctive and unique product.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#79 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

the closest taste you can get to maraschino (it's by no means a very good or complex substitute...but it's more similar than anything else)...is equal parts apricot brandy and kirsch combined.

#80 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the tips, folks! Too bad BC gets such a bum deal with spirits variety. Guess I'll have to be patient till my next visit to the US!

#81 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

[...]...is equal parts apricot brandy and kirsch combined.

View Post

Assuming you can get Apricot Brandy!

Beebs, I see the BC Liquor Stores carry some Luxardo products. Can you special order from them?
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#82 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

A few points:

• [...]
  • Erik, I see where you're going by likening the difference to the difference between scotch and Drambuie, but it's really a different kind of difference.  Drambuie starts off with scotch, then it is infused with herbs and sweetened.  Maraschino starts off as a completely different spirit (I don't think an unaged, unsweetened maraschino would taste like kirschwasser), and is simply sweetened without the any flavorings being added.
[...]

View Post

Yeah, fair enough. My point, though, was more general, and that Maraschino and Kirsch, like Scotch and Drambuie, are quite different, and simply sweetening Kirsch (or Scotch) will not result in an acceptable substitution.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#83 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

[...]...is equal parts apricot brandy and kirsch combined.

View Post

Assuming you can get Apricot Brandy!

Beebs, I see the BC Liquor Stores carry some Luxardo products. Can you special order from them?

View Post

Yes, some Luxardo is available, but unfortunately maraschino isn't one of them. I checked out BC Liquor Store's special order service too, but you must order a minimum case size which is way too much for personal use. I've just recruited my sister who lives in the US to hunt some down for me, though, so all is not lost! :smile:

#84 DerekW

DerekW
  • society donor
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

I checked out BC Liquor Store's special order service too, but you must order a minimum case size which is way too much for personal use.

View Post

I wonder if there are enough interested eGulleteers in BC for us to get together and split a case? You could count me in for a couple of bottles. If the three of us [jlo mein, Beebs and I] did that then we're at half a case already. Perhaps a cross-post to the Regional forum is in order?

cheers
Derek

#85 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

so while I was having a Last Word made at Milk & Honey last night I noticed that they were using Stock Maraschino. I asked if they preferred it to Luxardo and Maraskova. they stated that Luxardo was too difficult to balance in cocktails...too strong and that it was better sipped on its own.

this seems to fly against CW but I have noticed that when I make an Aviation at home with Luxardo I use less of it than when I used Stock...alternatively, it works well when tempered with violette liqueur.

thoughts?

#86 jlo mein

jlo mein
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:26 AM

If the three of us [jlo mein, Beebs and I] did that then we're at half a case already. Perhaps a cross-post to the Regional forum is in order?

cheers
Derek

View Post

lol...sorry but please count me out. At the rate I'm using the Maraska Maraschino, it's going to last me for quite some time. Perhaps it's my natural reaction to hide it whenever I make cocktails for others... :raz:

Edited by jlo mein, 14 June 2007 - 12:26 AM.

#87 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:00 AM

so while I was having a Last Word made at Milk & Honey last night I noticed that they were using Stock Maraschino.  I asked if they preferred it to Luxardo and Maraskova.  they stated that Luxardo was too difficult to balance in cocktails...too strong and that it was better sipped on its own.

this seems to fly against CW but I have noticed that when I make an Aviation at home with Luxardo I use less of it than when I used Stock...alternatively, it works well when tempered with violette liqueur.

thoughts?

Personally, I think Stock maraschino is pretty lame. I'm not even sure it's real maraschino. Now... that said, the real thing (Luxardo or Maraska) can be a bit funky and strong for inexperienced palates. So, for those people, Stock has its place.

As for that the person said at M&H... Well, let's just say that they have to make hard decisions as to what they will stock, because they just don't have room for 3 different brands of maraschino. Last time I was there, they also weren't stocking Lillet -- I guess there just weren't enough orders for Lillet cocktails to justify taking up the space with a bottle. So, I guess if they want an easy-mixing brand of maraschino that will be acceptable to the largest number of customers, Stock is a logical choice. And, let's be honest, Milk & Honey isn't getting the same percentage of die-hard cocktail geeks they were getting 3-4 years ago. It's too well-known now, and there are too many other games in town. You or I might be disappointed if an Aviation didn't have that Luxardo funk, but the average M&H customer might be put off by the funk.

All that said, it's disappointing to me to hear that a leading cocktail bar in New York City is using Stock instead of Luxardo because, supposedly, Luxardo is "too difficult to balance in cocktails." That's like choosing Stock triple sec over Cointreau because Cointreau is "too difficult to balance in cocktails." I don't think there can be any argument that Luxardo isn't a superior product, and if it's intensity of flavor and funk makes it a little more "difficult to balance" -- well, that's why we're paying 15 bucks a cocktail at M&H: to have people with the expertise to balance the best, most distinctive spirits in a cocktail.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#88 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

so while I was having a Last Word made at Milk & Honey last night I noticed that they were using Stock Maraschino.  I asked if they preferred it to Luxardo and Maraskova.  they stated that Luxardo was too difficult to balance in cocktails...too strong and that it was better sipped on its own.

thoughts?

View Post

I gotta echo slkinsey's sentiments.

Purposely picking a brand because it is easier to mix? Instead of what? Training your staff to use it properly? I call "Bullshit". Likely, it's a pour cost issue.

I also think it's a bit odd to say that Luxardo Maraschino is better sipped on its own.

Aside from Jagermeister, do bars get any calls for straight liqueurs?
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#89 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

thoughts?

View Post

I gotta echo slkinsey's sentiments.

Purposely picking a brand because it is easier to mix? Instead of what? Training your staff to use it properly? I call "Bullshit". Likely, it's a pour cost issue.

I also think it's a bit odd to say that Luxardo Maraschino is better sipped on its own.

Aside from Jagermeister, do bars get any calls for straight liqueurs?

View Post

I agree that answer smacks of horsecrap. Sounds totally like a cost issue to me. Don't know what the price differential is in NYC, but I bet it's significant enough to make them switch. That's also a lot easier than revamping the cocktail menu ever so slightly.

I can't imagine sipping Luxardo Maraschino on it's own. That's just a bizarre suggestion. But I certainly get requests for liqueurs on their own - generally after dinner. Sambuca white and black, Amaretto, Grand Marnier, Kahlua or Tia Maria all go with coffee or by themselves at the end of a nice meal.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#90 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

Personally I don't like Stock too much, but I know it does have it's place in a few cocktails. I know D&C has all 3 maraschinos and uses stock in one of their house cocktails on purpose.

Personally for me if I have a drink that calls for more than 1/2 oz or greater of Maraschino I will use Maraska, otherwise I will use Luxardo. I find any more than 1/2 oz of Luxardo and the drink turns into a Luxardo drink.

John
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin