Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Maraschino Liqueur

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#31 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:28 PM

James:

Grand Marnier and Cointreau do not do the same thing in a cocktail. Both are 80 proof but Cointreau is the very best triple sec known to man, distilled from sweet and bitter orange peels, a bit of pure laser beam focused orange flavor. Grand Marnier is sweeter and has vanilla and Cognac in the base as well as getting some oak ageing. If you want Grand Marnier and don't want to shell out the $32.99 it costs in PA, you can buy Gran Gala (PLCB website spells it "grangala" all as one word if you're searching) liqueur which is an able mirror image of it for $17.99.

There's no substitute for Cointreau that's as close a match except perhaps the Marie Brizard Triple sec. But even that's different.

Cointreau is it's own thing IMO. It's an old "secret recipe" that no one has seemed to duplicate well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#32 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:11 PM

Mixed this last night and found it to be very nice, a modified Fancy free

2oz borboun
1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino
a dash of both orange and Angustouro bitters
AND a splash of homemade Limoncello.

The limoncello added a real citrus taste to this. I did not find it overly sweet, but some may. In any case it was pretty darn good

Edited by lancastermike, 05 September 2005 - 03:12 PM.

#33 donbert

donbert
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

My understanding is that the Luxardo Amaretto is also top notch.  Much more bitter almond and less sweet and sticky than DiSaronno.  I'm hoping my purveyor has both in his bag of tricks so I can taste that too.

View Post

I was told that the Luxardo Amaretto is actually made with almonds unlike Disaronno which is made from peach pits.

Have you tried their Marasca cherries? Also an amazing product from the Luxardo folks.

#34 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:01 PM

Note: I split off the discussion about buying maraschino in Pennsylvania into that forum.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#35 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

My understanding is that the Luxardo Amaretto is also top notch.  Much more bitter almond and less sweet and sticky than DiSaronno.  I'm hoping my purveyor has both in his bag of tricks so I can taste that too.

View Post

I was told that the Luxardo Amaretto is actually made with almonds unlike Disaronno which is made from peach pits.

Have you tried their Marasca cherries? Also an amazing product from the Luxardo folks.

View Post

Well - my salesman did indeed stop by today and I have some Marashino to play with. I made an Aviation and a Fancy Free at the bar today before I left and let everyone try one. They were both delicious and I think I could actually get used to the "juniper infused vodka" that way.

I also got a chance to try the Luxardo Amaretto. It's awesome stuff! It's true the Luxardo is made with real almonds and you can totally smell and taste the difference. Makes DiSaronno taste like a watered down Jacquin's "schnapps" product by comparison. The pastry chef was drooling over the Luxardo amaretto as her mind started reeling with possibilities the moment she tasted it.

I haven't seen the Maraska cherries but they sound delicious! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#36 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:47 PM

Mixed ... a modified Fancy free

View Post

Didn't try adding limoncello; but, added a generous twist of satsuma peel for garnish. Perfect to warm the toes after a long, cold, wet commute home.

-Erik

edit - wrong citrus.

Edited by eje, 02 February 2006 - 09:57 AM.

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#37 Jack Rose

Jack Rose
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:38 AM

DiSaranno is a liqueur made from the maceration of apricot kernels, or pits. Apricot kernels are also ground into a paste which is used as a substitue for marizpan in baking, because of the similar flavor profile. Which interestingly enough contain trace amounts of cyanide, which evidently is not passed into the liqueur.

#38 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

DiSaranno is a liqueur made from the maceration of apricot kernels, or pits.  Apricot kernels are also ground into a paste which is used as a substitue for marizpan in baking, because of the similar flavor profile. Which interestingly enough contain trace amounts of cyanide, which evidently is not passed into the liqueur.

View Post

Yes - I learned this as part of getting schooled on the Luxardo amaretto. Astonishing how much better the real thing is than the apricot kernel facsimile.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#39 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

James:

Grand Marnier and Cointreau do not do the same thing in a cocktail. Both are 80 proof but Cointreau is the very best triple sec known to man, distilled from sweet and bitter orange peels, a bit of pure laser beam focused orange flavor. Grand Marnier is sweeter and has vanilla and Cognac in the base as well as getting some oak ageing.  If you want Grand Marnier and don't want to shell out the $32.99 it costs in PA, you can buy Gran Gala (PLCB website spells it "grangala" all as one word if you're searching) liqueur which is an able mirror image of it for $17.99.

There's no substitute for Cointreau that's as close a match except perhaps the Marie Brizard Triple sec.  But even that's different.

Cointreau is it's own thing IMO.  It's an old "secret recipe" that no one has seemed to duplicate well.

View Post

I stand self-corrected. Luxardo makes a product called Triplum Orange Dry which is a very able substitute for Cointreau at about $8-10 less per bottle. I'd never seen this stuff before but got a taste of it earlier this week when checking out some of the Luxardo product line. This would make a fine Sidecar or stand in ably anywhere else you need that really focused orange flavor in a cocktail.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#40 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:57 PM

OK - a bit of playing around with my Luxardo Maraschino has yielded the following drink:

Red Feather Boa

2.0 oz. Old Overholt Rye
0.5 oz. fresh lemon juice
0.5 oz. Luxardo maraschino
0.25 oz. (or one barspoon) Fee Brothers American Beauty Grenadine
2 dashes bitters

Shake with cracked ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass. Tastes a bit like a Manhattan but less alcoholic and hot. The grenadine really softens the bite and the lemon juice gives it a nice tang.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#41 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:09 AM

OK - a bit of playing around with my Luxardo Maraschino has yielded the following drink:

Red Feather Boa

2.0 oz. Old Overholt Rye
0.5 oz. fresh lemon juice
0.5 oz. Luxardo maraschino
0.25 oz. (or one barspoon) Fee Brothers American Beauty Grenadine
2 dashes bitters

Shake with cracked ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass.  Tastes a bit like a Manhattan but less alcoholic and hot.  The grenadine really softens the bite and the lemon juice gives it a nice tang.

View Post

This is sort of like something that has become one of my favorites.

Instead of the grenadine I use about the same amount of Limoncello, made fron the famous K.Loeb receipe. I love the lemom taste and it gives it just a little sweetness.
Also make this with borboun, but the rye is better, as the borboun drink can get alittle too sweet

Edited by lancastermike, 10 February 2006 - 04:10 AM.

#42 Lan4Dawg

Lan4Dawg
  • participating member
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:21 PM

Other than the Aviation our favorite maraschino cocktail is probably this one:

Fancy-Free Cocktail

2 ounces Bourbon.
1/2 ounce maraschino.
1 dash Angostura bitters.
1 dash orange bitters.

Stir and strain, stemless cherry garnish.

Chuck

View Post

thx Chuck as this has become one of my favorite "winter" cocktails. How ever to be fair I do play w/ it a hint using just a touch less maraschino and, not being a fan of cherries in my cocktails I skip that step but the bitters round out the bourbon and the maraschino very well and make it a wonderful cocktail.
btw, I had to go to Tennessee in order to find Luxardo Maraschino. Luckily there is a store just out side of Knoxville that, according to the Luxardo distributor in Tenn, orders a case of it every month or so. He has no explanation for their unusual sales but says it is one of the few places that orders it w/ any regularity.
in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--
the best cat ever.

#43 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:49 PM

Got a bottle of Fee Brothers Peach Bitters, found this on Cocktail DB

The Flying Fish

Stir in mixing glass with ice & strain
1 3/4 oz gin (5 cl, 7/16 gills)
3/4 oz orange curacao (2 cl, 3/16 gills)
1/4 oz maraschino liqueur (6 dashes, 1/16 gills)
1 dash peach bitters

This was very nice. The peach was the last taste in the sip. Another good maraschino drink. The peach bitters was very nice. Both Maggie and I liked this alot

#44 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:31 PM

Another splendid use of maraschino is this Gary & Mardee Regan revision of the Brandy Crusta:

View Post

Thanks for this tip, plattetude. I just read Gary Regan's wonderful Joy of Mixology and immediately ran out to get a bottle of the Luxardo maraschino. This was a fantastic first drink to test it out.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#45 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:02 PM

Another splendid use of maraschino is this Gary & Mardee Regan revision of the Brandy Crusta:

View Post

Thanks for this tip, plattetude. I just read Gary Regan's wonderful Joy of Mixology and immediately ran out to get a bottle of the Luxardo maraschino. This was a fantastic first drink to test it out.

View Post

That is a great drink. I tried it and loved it too. If only replacing my bottle of Luxardo Maraschino wasn't such a pain in this state...

Try making one of my Red Feather Boas from upthread and tell me what you think. The really good Fee Brothers grenadine is crucial but I think some homemade grenadine might work too. My understanding is that equal measures of Pom Wonderful juice and sugar brought to the boil and simmered for ten minutes and then cooled and a small measure of vodka thrown in for preservation is pretty good stuff.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#46 Lan4Dawg

Lan4Dawg
  • participating member
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:31 AM

I just saw Luxardo Maraschino at Tower Package in Buckhead (Atlanta). They did not carry it for the longest time but it was there last w/e. I do not know if so many folks had begged for it that they finally got it in the store or what.
Of course it figures that it is now available in Atlanta after I went all over the South East looking for it and now have two + bottles (inc. one I got for Dave the Cook who if he does not stop by and get it soon....)
in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--
the best cat ever.

#47 stickyii

stickyii
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

Katie,

I didn't find it too evil to place an SLO. Quick phone call, wait a week, pick it up at your local store...

I'm not sure how close you live to Delaware, but I was there last weekend and was easily able to find some stuff that is harder to get here:

Noilly Prat (sweet and dry)
Punt e Mes
Martinique Rum (St. James)
Rhum Barbancourt

Not that I bought any... :)
Rick
Pennsylvania

Kaiser Penguin

#48 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:33 AM

The Flying Fish

View Post

Tried this last week.

Didn't think the peach bitters had enough actual bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the liqueurs. Might be OK as an after dinner cocktail.

Mike, did you use orange curacao or sub in cointreau (or another triple sec)?
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#49 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:43 AM

The Flying Fish

View Post

Tried this last week.

Didn't think the peach bitters had enough actual bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the liqueurs. Might be OK as an after dinner cocktail.

Mike, did you use orange curacao or sub in cointreau (or another triple sec)?

View Post

I used the Luxardo Triplum Orange Dry, which is like Cointreau only different. The bottle is even shaped like the Cointreau bottle. In a side by side it has a more pronounced orange flavor and is a little less sweet than Cointreau. It has become my favorite bitter orange.

I'm a big fan of bitters no matter which variety and I believe I used more than the one dash called for in the receipe

Edited by lancastermike, 17 April 2006 - 10:45 AM.

#50 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

It's been sort of spring-ish this week so something similar to a Hemingway Daiquiri (Floridita) didn't seem too out of place this evening.

Mashed up a quartered key lime in 1/2 tsp. of simple syrup in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Added 2 oz. Flor de Cana Extra Dry, 1/4 oz Maraschino, squeeze of about a 1/6th of a grapefruit, and ice. Shook until it was cold and strained into a cocktail glass.

Yeah, I could drink a double. No problemo.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#51 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

It's been sort of spring-ish this week so something similar to a Hemingway Daiquiri (Floridita) didn't seem too out of place this evening.

Mashed up a quartered key lime in 1/2 tsp. of simple syrup in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.  Added 2 oz. Flor de Cana Extra Dry, 1/4 oz Maraschino, squeeze of about a 1/6th of a grapefruit, and ice.  Shook until it was cold and strained into a cocktail glass.

Yeah, I could drink a double.  No problemo.

View Post

Nice. This sounds delicious Erik. With the hint of sweetness and almondy-ness of the Maraschino in the background this drink sounds like a real winner.

Would probably be good with a bit of blood orange instead of the grapefruit too. For no rational reason, I've somehow always wanted to combine Key lime and Blood orange. I don't know why - I just think they'd be delicious together.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#52 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:20 PM

tonight i made katie's red feather boa. kinda sweet for my tastes, but not disproportionate or something, just sweeter than i'm used to. grenadine really does turn everything red, doesn't it? i mean, it's crazy--.25 oz in that drink and there you go...

#53 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

tonight i made katie's red feather boa.  kinda sweet for my tastes, but not disproportionate or something, just sweeter than i'm used to.  grenadine really does turn everything red, doesn't it?  i mean, it's crazy--.25 oz in that drink and there you go...

View Post

when i made this I used a touch more lemon jucie than Katie called for and found it to be just fine. Perhaps this drink, like its inventor, really is sweet

#54 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

Tried this tonight from the CocktailDB

Frosty Dawn

Shake in iced cocktail shaker & strain/blend
1 1/2 oz light rum (4.5 cl, 3/8 gills)
1 oz orange juice (3 cl, 1/4 gills)
1/2 oz falernum (1.5 cl, 1/8 gills)
1/4 oz maraschino liqueur (6 dashes, 1/16 gills)
Serve in a cocktail glass (4.5 oz)

This was a little sweet, but I believe it is intended to be. I did squezze an orange for the juice and I think that makes it better

I liked this. Very refreshing. I could see having this as a brunch or morning drink. Used the Fee Bros. Falernum.

#55 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

Tonight -- A Pat Bra cocktail

1 1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1/4 oz maraschino liqueur
1/4 oz fresh lime juice

Pretty good overall -- I added a dash of orange bitters after a few sips and it really made it pop.

Tried to find some history on this cocktail but couldn't find the origin of the name, anyone have any info?
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#56 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:25 PM

tonight i made katie's red feather boa.  kinda sweet for my tastes, but not disproportionate or something, just sweeter than i'm used to.  grenadine really does turn everything red, doesn't it?  i mean, it's crazy--.25 oz in that drink and there you go...

View Post

when i made this I used a touch more lemon juice than Katie called for and found it to be just fine. Perhaps this drink, like its inventor, really is sweet

View Post

:blush:

Thanks Mike! Posted Image

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

#57 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

tonight: a last word, as mentioned upthread and linked on drinkboy's site today.

it's a damn good drink, but a little out of balance for my tastes. however, i suspect it's my fault, and i await your diagnosis.
  • gin was broker's
  • maraschino was luxardo (btw, have you ever looked at their website? they make TONS of fun stuff)
  • lime was lime, of course
  • potential problem: i only had yellow chartreuse, which i know is lower in both alcohol and flavor than green, but it was on super special for a little airplane bottle for only a couple bucks a little while ago
the problem: i can taste the herbs, but the maraschino kind of overwhelms a lot of the rest of it. would this drink be a little more in balance if i'd used the green chartreuse? maraschino really kicks a lot of things' asses, flavor and aroma and texturally speaking.

sometimes i find cocktails like this a little too too, if you know what i mean. like, i like it, but i feel like i might like it a little more if it was 1.5 oz gin, and 1/2 oz everything else. is this just a product of growing up in a non-cocktail culture, and i should just re-learn my tastes? thoughts?

Edited by mrbigjas, 28 June 2006 - 07:11 PM.

#58 plattetude

plattetude
  • participating member
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

It's gotta be the green. Makes a huge difference. Higher proof, more assertive flavor profile (as you noted) and oh the funky pale neon green color you wind up with! You'll still taste the maraschino, but you'll also taste the Chartreuse, and the lime, and the gin is kind of a subtle backdrop tying them together. It should certainly be balanced at equal parts.

I can understand you thinking it may be a little "too too" too -- I sometimes feel the same, preferring emphasis on drier or more bitter elements in cocktails -- but really, try it in the standard formulation. It's one of my faves, personally. (And I recently had a take on it called "The Final Ward" at Pegu Club -- equal parts rye, maraschino, green Chartreuse, and lemon -- equally sublime.)

Christopher

#59 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:48 PM

thanks for the confirmation, christopher. i had a sense that the next level of herbal/bitterness from the real chartreuse would have kicked this over the edge into the sublime...

i think that people who grew up when and how i did just aren't used to such an intense flavor profile. and it's just a matter of getting used to it on my part. as my wife said, 'it tastes good, but i feel like the drink should be mixed with a glass of seltzer.'

#60 The Hersch

The Hersch
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

After reading this discussion, I heard a bottle of green Chartreuse whistle at me from a shelf at my spirits-monger the other day, so I bought it. I don't believe I had ever tasted the stuff before, and I certainly wasn't aware that it's 110 proof and a serious butt-kicker. And beautiful. Anyway, over the course of the last four days, I've had about six Last Word cocktails, mixed as prescribed: 1-1-1-1. The maraschino was Luxardo, and the gin varied between Gordon's and Junipero. I think fancy gin in this cocktail is probably a waste of money. Anyway: This Cocktail Is Superb. I fell in love instantly. This may be the greatest cocktail ever devised, with the obvious exception of the martini. It is so elegant and balanced, so cool and invigorating, so complex and intriguing, and packs such a wallop with it. Wow. This may indeed be the last word.