Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

California Farmers' Markets

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

Oh my, those are some pretty passion fruit.
I usually wait til they are shriveled and wrinkly before opening them. You?

That's the plan. I got a few that were already wrinkly so I will start with these first.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 01 August 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#62 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Different varieties of cucumbers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great produce shots. I think those warty green things are Indian bitter melon and the smoother ones also are a variety of bitter melon versus cucumber?

You are right, Heidi, these are bitter melons.

#63 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

Last year I discovered The Aprium--that's 60% apricot and 40% plum. (As opposed to the plumcot, which is 50/50 and the pluot which is 60% plum--as far as I know.) Saturday morning at the Berkeley Farmers' market I bought something I've never seen before: the vendor was calling it a nectaplum. I don't know what the percentage of nectarine to plum is but it was delicious.

I grew up thinking the nectarine was a cross between a peach and a plum, but according to Wiki, that's not true. The nectarine is some adaptation of a fuzzless peach. They don't taste like peaches to me, though.

#64 kalypso

kalypso
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

FP, what great photos. You certainly made all that produce look pretty delectable

Passionfruit vines grow well in San Diego. There is a variety that flower and fruits and a variety that flowers but produces no fruit. We've got the latter type and it's really prolific. After seeing how well it grows, I kind of wish we had planted one that produced fruit. Passionfruit ice cream is amazingly good.

Edited by kalypso, 01 August 2011 - 05:14 PM.

#65 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

Tropical Star on Balboa sells a maracuya batido that I love.

FP - thanks for the trip to City Heights. Saturday am is such a sensible time for a market. The one nearest me is on Wednesday afternoons, and that's not gonna happen!
Linda Vista is opening a farmer's market soon too. :)
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#66 kalypso

kalypso
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

Linda Vista is open. Mostly Asian and Hispanic veggies.

#67 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

3 - 7 pm tonight is the Farmer's Market off Moreno in San Diego.
Funny location - between PetCo and ToysRUs with Armstrong Nursery near by & a dog-friendly barbecue place across the street.
Even if the Farmer's Market is a bust, there's lots of potential for wallet damage. :laugh:
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#68 IBuchanan

IBuchanan
  • general member
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Any farmer's market recommendations near the Berkeley area?

Thanks!

#69 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Are you new to the area?

In Berkeley:

http://ecologycenter.org/fm/

In Kensington:

http://www.kensingtonfarmersmarket.org/

In Oakland:

http://oaklandcvb.com/visiting_dining_farmers.cfm

There are numerous farmers markets all over Bay Area, including the East Bay. The San Francisco markets are worth checking out, especially the market in Alemany. A quick google will give you any info you need. All the farmers markets are listed on their own or affiliated websites.

The Berkeley markets tend to be expensive and boutique-y. They are as politically and nutritionally correct as you can imagine. I know vendors there, and they've told me about the organic requirements for the food, the ecological requirements for packaging, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc...Parking is difficult, if you want to do it legally. The Saturday market in downtown Berkeley is accessible by BART. I still go to the Berkeley markets anyway, for unusual and excellent produce--just not every week. I don't have a favorite for any one of them.

The Oakland markets are more reasonable. The Friday market in Old Oakland sells a great deal of Asian produce and I like to go there. It's accessible by BART. A cooking teacher I know likes the Grand Lake market. A foodie friend has recommended the Temescal market to me.

The Kensington market is smaller, but friendly with very good if not excellent vendors. I like this one and I'll shop there if I'm passing through the area. Parking is less nervewracking than it is at the Berkeley and Oakland markets. That's not saying much, though.

good luck with your shopping, and parking if you're driving...

#70 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

The sunday market in Walnut Creek is quite nice, next to Target. I go just about every week. First strawberries from Watsonville already showed up and are quite good. I park at Target, they don't want you to, but ... There's also a free garage right in the middle of the market on California I think, parking is never an issue.

I hear great things about the Berkeley market but since I live in the Creek, I never go. Ours is also year round, which is nice, only closed on one or two holidays I think.

Market at the Ferry Building in SF is great, combine with a ferry ride if you live in the East Bay, makes for a great outing. Not cheap, but a fun thing to do. I think Rancho Gordo still has a booth (or even a store now?) there for their fantastic beans.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog