Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Dessert

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5794 replies to this topic

#1801 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

I'm old enough to pick up a can of beer on my own now. :laugh: Chefpeon, please confirm so I can try the recipe too.

I've had a mini mooncake today. One was quarter was champagne (I nicked it out of my mom's hands!) and the rest was a white lotus one with crunchy chocolate bits in it. Yummy.

And I'm soooo sad I missed your foodblog, Ling. Computer issues. (thinking about this makes me want to scratch out the eyes of the tech people again)

View Post

Well, the blog is still up and I'll answer your questions in PM if you have any. :smile:

I had mini mooncakes yesterday too! They were a box of Taiwanese mooncakes that were packaged very beautifully, but none of the flavours tasted good and the pastry was dry. The flavours were sweet red bean with pieces of Japanese pumpkin, green tea flavour with salted egg yolk, and one that was the flat, white pastry with glutinous rice stuff inside.

That was kind of a disappointing dessert, so I dipped some wafer cookies in cinnamon ganache and ate those too. :smile:

#1802 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

Oohh...I am so excited to make the cake then, since I know you're a great baker and really respect your opinion! Is this the recipe?

chocolate stout cake

View Post

Ling, I have the current Bon Appetit, and yes, that is the same recipe.

View Post

The recipe is quite similar in proportions to the Devil's chocolate cake in the Tartine cookbook, except it contains stout and less cocoa. I didn't think the Tartine cake was very chocolate-y at all compared to the Epicurious Double chocolate cake (my current favourite chocolate cake recipe). So the stout flavour must be adding a lot to the cake.

#1803 lexy

lexy
  • participating member
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

Wild blueberry crumble

Posted Image
Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

#1804 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:16 PM

Yeah.....ok, so, this is like my first contribution to this thread...can you believe it? I don't normally make dessert at home, since I do it so much at work. The family gets by on Twinkies or ice cream, and they know better than to ask me "what's for dessert?", because I will most surely give them the evil eye. :raz:

However, since I'm on this new fancy pancy work schedule (3 days on, 4 days OFF-yeah BABY!!),
I'm actually enjoying doing a little baking at home again. My husband, who takes Vytorin for high cholesterol, is convinced I'm trying to kill him. He calls me the Black Widow. Hey, I don't make him eat the stuff....it's just.....there.

Got my new issue of Bon Appetit (the 50th Anniversary Issue), and a recipe for a chocolate cake made with Stout beer caught my eye. Now, I love beer.....especially stouts and porters, and as you all know, I love baking. So, when you combine beer and baking, I'm all there, baby! So I made this cake, (and a had a healthy slug o'beer), and I'll be damned....it's REALLY good. If anyone has that issue of Bon Appetit and a hankerin' for a great chocolate cake.....I say try it. In fact, I just might link back to this thread from the "best chocolate cake" thread, because I think it needs to be there.

Now of course, while I'm baking this thing, I'm thinking how I'm going to finish it. I like to have the cake finish reflect what's in the cake, and I'm going, "beer...hmmmm.....how do I reflect beer?" THAT'S IT!!!!! Chocolate bottle caps!!!! Funky? Yes. But cool. I made the bottle caps out of white modeling chocolate using a real bottle cap as a mold. Then I painted them with edible gold powder made into a paint with a bit o'vodka. Yeah, ok, a bit over the top for a family dessert, but sometimes I can't help myself. Once a PC, always a PC..................... :raz:

Posted Image

View Post

Well, good God! Just imagine that you are seeing that little emoticon that is slamming it's head against a table. Chefpeon, that is remarkably beautiful. I really want to be able to do this stuff. Everytime I see something like that I am just so in awe! Kim

#1805 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:16 AM

For the chocolate lovers, this is Caprese. Very moist chocolate cake from Capri: chocolates, eggs, butter and almonds. Very good.

Posted Image

Also posted in the Italian forum for the The Cooking and Cuisine of Campania

#1806 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:45 AM

Wild blueberry crumble

Posted Image

View Post

Mmmmm.....I love crumbles! Only problem is, I tend to get confused and think I like cobblers. Then I order one and get something different from what I imagined!

Must remember...crumble...crumble...crumble....I'll just try to picture yours from now on, and that will help me remember!

#1807 shaloop

shaloop
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:16 AM

As I said on the dinner thread, I have JUST figured out how to post pictures and having only a regular (not digital yet) camera, I will have to post desserts that I have gotten the pictures back from!  Not too far in the past are:

Kim, your cakes look great! Glad you liked the cheesecake!

#1808 lexy

lexy
  • participating member
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:12 AM

Mmmmm.....I love crumbles! 

View Post

Oh me too! Forget this pie vs. cake business - I'd sell my soul for a big dish of good crumble :smile:
Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

#1809 TraciiTVCL

TraciiTVCL
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:39 AM

The secrets of "no-mangle" cake cutting are:
1. Cut the cake cold. Warm or room temp cakes=mangle.
2. Use a large, sharp chef's knife.
3. Dip the knife in a pitcher of hot water and wipe with a towel between each slice.
4. THEN let the cake come to room temp (cakes taste BEST at room temp) and serve!

Now that I have stopped laughing. When I am asked "Is there any special way to cut the cake?" This is just what I tell them.
Why is it then that I hear..."Oh we don't have time to chill the cake, will that matter?"
Ummmmmmmm.......... why are you asking if you can't follow directions ??????????????? :blink:

Edited by TraciiTVCL, 18 September 2006 - 10:42 AM.

#1810 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

For the chocolate lovers, this is Caprese. Very moist chocolate cake from Capri: chocolates, eggs, butter and almonds. Very good.

Posted Image

View Post

Ahh Franci good thinking , I havent made the Caprese in a life ( I used to bake them for the restaurant where I used to work ), indeed a yummy yummy cake .
Grazie per la bella idea :biggrin:
Vanessa

#1811 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:58 AM

The Epicurious Double Chocolate Cake, but only oil because I'm not up to messing around with melting butter today.

And damn, it's good. Though it's still too hot for me to really taste anything, but the texture's good!
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#1812 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:13 AM

The Epicurious Double Chocolate Cake, but only oil because I'm not up to messing around with melting butter today.

And damn, it's good. Though it's still too hot for me to really taste anything, but the texture's good!

View Post

Thank you for reporting , its chocolate ckae making now so after the stout one I want to try this one :laugh: ( gotta start to find tester around here ).
Vanessa

#1813 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

View Post

Thank you for reporting , its chocolate ckae making now so after the stout one I want to try this one :laugh: ( gotta start to find tester around here ).

View Post

Just send it along. I'll PM you my address! :laugh:
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#1814 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:09 PM

Posted Image

View Post

Awesome -another example of your great skill when it comes to cake.
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#1815 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:31 PM

Since yesterday I found some nice muscat grape at the market, I decided to go with
Schiacciata con l'uva, a sweet focaccia from Toscana

Posted Image

View Post

Yum, that looks great, Franci. I've made this once before with some generic supermarket grapes but I must try this soon with some of the more flavorful varietals I've seen at the farmer's market recently. The version I've made was flavored with fennel and sugar along with the grapes. It's a nice, not too sweet bread that is perfect in the fall.

Lots of other nice desserts offered here in the transition between summer and fall--the wild blueberry crumble and chocolate stout cake. I recently had some teriffic stout ice cream so I'm also intrigued by this cake. The final cake looks spectacular, chefpeon; thanks for sharing the photo with us!

I made a Southern Caramel Cake for a friend's birthday this weekend. This version is from Bill Neal's Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie and has ground pecans in the cake layers which are also soaked with a bourbon syrup. It was good, but even with the soaking the layers were a bit dry. Maybe the dryness would have been alleviated if I had soaked the layers while they were still warm and/or maybe I overbaked the layers. I've made another Bill Neal Pecan Caramel Cake several times from his first book. I can only compare this with faded memories since this was before I recorded more detailed notes, but I think I liked the cake layers better in the version from Bill Neal's Southern Cooking.
Posted Image
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#1816 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

ludja, I love caramel and your cake looks great. Have you seen this Thankful Butterscotch cake? I've had it bookmarked forever but still haven't gotten around to making it!

For those interested in doing chocolate stout cakes next--I found another Guiness chocolate cake from Tish Boyle just now.

Also, this Indonesian spice cake looks really good, judging by the recipe. Very dense though.

ETA: I've been eating junky desserts for the past two days. Breakfast this morning was two chocolate bars. Junky ones! Coffee Crisp (childhood favourite) and cinnamon Kit Kat (I can not resist anything with cinnamon). :laugh:

Edited by Ling, 18 September 2006 - 02:06 PM.

#1817 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

ludja, I love caramel and your cake looks great. Have you seen this Thankful Butterscotch cake? I've had it bookmarked forever but still haven't gotten around to making it!

View Post

Thanks Ling! I tihnk I'm going to start a Caramel Cake thread in the P&B forum as there doesn't appear to be one yet. I also have had the Thankful Butterscotch cake bookmarked for awhile...

A Stout cake thread would be great too. It certainly seems like a theme worth exploring!
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

#1818 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

Posted Image

View Post

Mmmmmmmm....I love anything caramel. Must find a copy of the cake--I will look for the Southern Cooking recipe.

I love the plate, too! We have a similar pattern, but in blue instead of green and with my grandfather's signature on it. Can you tell me the name of your pattern? I'm hoping to augment out set!

#1819 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

Mmmmmmmm....I love anything caramel.  Must find a copy of the cake--I will look for the Southern Cooking recipe.

I love the plate, too!  We have a similar pattern, but in blue instead of green and with my grandfather's signature on it.  Can you tell me the name of your pattern?  I'm hoping to augment out set!

View Post

I found a copy of the the Bill Neal Toasted Pecan Caramel Cake. This is the recipe that I used the first few times and that I think I like better. I used the same caramel frosting recipe that is given for this recipe. It's 'worked' all three times I've made it. I'll post the recipe link in the Caramel Cake thread I started.

My mom found these plates at a flea market/antique show. There is not a name on them, only a mark with M Z, a symbol with a crown and "Austria" on it.

#1820 makanmakan

makanmakan
  • participating member
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

I was in charge of dessert for a dinner party and decided on the Epicurious Double Chocolate cake.

Posted Image

I mixed in some cinnamon and sprinkled on some toasted walnuts in the middle layer. It's not perfect looking (as my cake pans weren't the exact same size) but it tasted pretty damn good!
Quentina

#1821 Shaya

Shaya
  • participating member
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Posted Image

View Post

Franci this looks wonderful. I shall have to make this soon. I made your Schiacciata con l'uva last night, with honey instead of suger. It was really great. I think my family was expecting more of a tart, but it was just as I was expecting - and craving; bread-like dough with sweetness interspersed throughout. Thanks for the inspiration. I used champagne grapes.

Posted Image

#1822 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:06 PM

Now of course, while I'm baking this thing, I'm thinking how I'm going to finish it. I like to have the cake finish reflect what's in the cake, and I'm going, "beer...hmmmm.....how do I reflect beer?" THAT'S IT!!!!! Chocolate bottle caps!!!! Funky? Yes. But cool. I made the bottle caps out of white modeling chocolate using a real bottle cap as a mold. Then I painted them with edible gold powder made into a paint with a bit o'vodka. Yeah, ok, a bit over the top for a family dessert, but sometimes I can't help myself. Once a PC, always a PC..................... :raz:

Posted Image

View Post

[/quote]
Wonderful cake, terriffic job, no no thats awesome, just the kind I like to make. One question, the small fan decoration, is that also made from modeling chocolate or straight white chocolate?
Aww, I lied, one more question, why the cake flour modification?
Thanks

Edited by oli, 19 September 2006 - 02:23 PM.

#1823 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:02 AM

Franci this looks wonderful. I shall have to make this soon.  I made your Schiacciata con l'uva last night, with honey instead of suger.  It was really great.  I think my family was expecting more of a tart, but it was just as I was expecting - and craving; bread-like dough with sweetness interspersed throughout.  Thanks for the inspiration.  I used champagne grapes.

Posted Image

View Post

Shaya, I am happy I inspired you! I think it's a wonderful treat for the season. Did you make two layers or you just topped it with grapes? As Ludja was saying I heard some people sprinkle some aniseed on top, but I asked around and I have been told the tradition it's for a very simple and rustic sweet bread. It was the first time I baked this schiacciata and I was very happy with it, I love rustic and unsofisticated sweets.

#1824 Shaya

Shaya
  • participating member
  • 859 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

Franci, I did two layers. Here is a photo:

Posted Image

#1825 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

half a small loaf of pumpkin spice cake with goat milk caramel

a big bowl of chocolate fudge Clodhoppers

a slice of cheesecake my sister bought home

a Coffee Crisp

...and it's only 12:33pm :wacko:

#1826 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

My first calissons- yum!
Posted Image

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#1827 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,941 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

My first calissons- yum!
Posted Image

View Post

I thought you were going to tell me you made them until I saw the picture upload. I've tried to make them before, but no success yet.

Aren't they delicious!!!

#1828 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:59 PM

They're wonderful. After I ate them I rushed to my computer to find a recipe and EGulleters said it might be too hard - especially to get the right melon, so its on the backburner...so many desserts, so little time!

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#1829 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:47 AM

Posted Image

Had a pieace of this for dinner ( lonley dinner as usuall , cause I work :sad: )
I was going to make a black forrest but then I change little bit I made a pastry cream chantilly and used fresh frozen black cherry that I cooked with some turbinado and a dash of grand marnier ,yuppy.
Vanessa

#1830 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,941 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:46 AM

They're wonderful.  After I ate them I rushed to my computer to find a recipe and EGulleters said it might be too hard - especially to get the right melon, so its on the backburner...so many desserts, so little time!

View Post

I even had the right melon. Brought it back from Nice. The problem was forming and icing them. And a few of the directions got lost in the translation. My translator isn't a baker or confection maker so the translation of the processes was too literal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert