Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Dessert

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5781 replies to this topic

#1291 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

This is from a few days ago - Three Nut Praline Buttercream Torte. The name says it all: three thin layers of almond, hazelnut and walnut cake with a simple praline buttercream. Very good.

Posted Image

View Post

I was wondering if the recipe for your wonderfully looking Torte was posted somewhere?
Thanks

#1292 Mistinguett

Mistinguett
  • participating member
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

Oli, it was published in a magazine (I cut out the recipes but I think it was a MS Living issue) years ago along with my absolutely favorite chocolate torte. I'll be more than happy to p.m. you *and anyone else who wants* the recipe later in the day as I'm not sure if I can post it here.
The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

#1293 Mistinguett

Mistinguett
  • participating member
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

My first Hummingbird Cake - big flop, the cake came out too dense (didn't rise as I expected). I actually cut each cake in two and layered the frosting to mellow it down. It tastes good (maybe a bit too much banana and too little pecans), the frosting definitely saved it.

Posted Image
The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

#1294 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:26 PM

I had...uhm...6 desserts last night, 7 if you include the cheese course. I ate at Mistral, and it was one of the best meals of my life.

pictures here!

#1295 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:38 AM

Thank you, Ling, for *suffering* for us. LOL.

I've gingersnaps, very bad Egg Yolk cookies and cocoa cookies. Holidays are coming, and that means I can bake something new. Hooray!
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#1296 tupac17616

tupac17616
  • participating member
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

I don't think I've posted to this thread before, but I'm always drooling over (er, uh, reading) it. But I figured it's time I join the fun...
Marsala Zabaglione
Posted Image

#1297 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

Grapefruit sorbet from Eli's!

Posted Image
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#1298 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

I kind of hate to show such homely baking, after Patrick and Mistinguette's beautiful treats, but these were so unusual and delicious I have to share.

Posted Image
A friend was making a Greek dinner last night, and I wanted to bring a non-phyllo dessert. Amazing how little I knew about Greek sweets before a long trek through Google to find these. On top you see Amygdalopita, a Greek nut cake made with 14 eggs! And no flour, just ground nuts and bread crumbs. On the bottom, Cake with Sesame Seed Paste and Orange, a vegan (!) cake made with tahini and orange juice.

Both were super-dense and rich, and unlike any other cakes I've made. In fact, while the nut cake was baking I couldn't imagine what sort of dessert it would turn out to be - it has to have the weirdest directions of anything I've ever baked. I recommend both of these to you all - I baked them just as written, except that I used ground hazelnuts instead of almonds in the nut cake, because I had that in the freezer. I don't think it made any difference in the outcome. The recipes are here Tahini Cake and Nut Cake.

#1299 Mistinguett

Mistinguett
  • participating member
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

Oh Abra, those look scrumptious! the tahini cake especially, got to try that.

#1300 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:30 PM

Thank you, Ling, for *suffering* for us. LOL.

View Post

Oh yeah, I forgot about the lemon bar and the slice of coffeecake I had for breakfast that day. Brings my dessert total up to 9! :wink:

Yesterday I had coffee ice-cream for dessert...today I'm baking a chiffon cake.

#1301 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:11 AM

This is an El Rey white chocolate mousse with warm, thickened passion fruit sauce on top. The mousse recipe is from Sherry Yard, and is egg and cream-based. The sauce is simply sweetened passion fruit puree thickened with a little cornstarch. The picture is a wee bit overexposed.

Posted Image
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#1302 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

Yummyyyyy!!! :biggrin:
Vanessa

#1303 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

Maybe overexposed but looks great Patrick.

I made Filipe's Portuguese Custard Tarts which at every stage I thought was going to be a failure and turned out deliciously.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#1304 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:06 AM

Sometimes underexposed or overexposed will give a more dramatic feel to the picture. I think the underexposure give the dessert a lightness as if one is trying to convey this is something one has at breakfast.
Nice

#1305 Eden

Eden
  • participating member
  • 959 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

No photo because it was not the most visually appealing, but tonights eventual desset was a real winner for taste.

After seeing the Strawberry Bruschetta thread I decided to try it. not the greatest ever since the berries weren't the best, but the grilled pound cake and a a dollop of sweetened sour cream made for a nice enough combo. However we then added a scoop of home-made basil ice-cream & suddenly WOW! the warm berries against the sweet cold basil were plate licking good :raz:

I will have to revisit this later in the summer when we actually have decent berries available.
Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

#1306 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

Eden, are you going to tell us how to make the basil ice cream? I've got my basil planted...

#1307 FWED

FWED
  • participating member
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:40 PM

Since this is the start of the berry season here in the Pacific Northwest I got an early start on it and made a Fraisier this weekend. The original recipe came form the book Dessert Circus by Jacques Torres. It is composed of: layers of biscuit cake sweetened with a sauce made of strawberry puree, simple syrup, and raspberry liquor; fresh raspberries and strawberries; and held together with a strawberry buttercream frosting. Needless to say a small slice goes a long way.

Posted Image

Fred Rowe

#1308 filipe

filipe
  • participating member
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:26 AM

I made Filipe's Portuguese Custard Tarts which at every stage I thought was going to be a failure and turned out deliciously.

View Post

Got some pics? :)
Filipe A S
pastry student, food lover & food blogger
there's allways room for some more weight

#1309 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

View Post

Got some pics? :)

View Post

Since it was my first attempt, they were not worth photographing, but now that I understand what I'm doing better, I'll definitely try again and put more effort into presentation. I'm happy/sad to say that I ate 8 on the first day and the other 4 for breakfast...I'm such a glutton. BTW, I really wanted to add blackberries to the recipe, but didn't to stay true to the recipe this time. I think they would be wonderful in your tarts.

#1310 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:47 AM

Little tarts with bittersweet passionfruit ganache and poached apricots.

Posted Image

#1311 Tweety69bird

Tweety69bird
  • participating member
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:55 AM

Little tarts with bittersweet passionfruit ganache and poached apricots.

Posted Image

View Post

Patrick, your photos are stunning. :wub:
Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

#1312 Pontormo

Pontormo
  • participating member
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:08 AM

Indeed.

I think you and Ling should open up a patisserie together!

Edited by Pontormo, 01 June 2006 - 10:09 AM.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.
The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

#1313 binkyboots

binkyboots
  • participating member
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

summer s'mores!

lemon butter cookies (top half carmelised under the grill), tart lemon cream and homemade marshmallows

Posted Image
Spam in my pantry at home.
Think of expiration, better read the label now.
Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.
Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

#1314 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:02 PM

Patrick, your photos are stunning.  :wub:

View Post

Thanks, Tweety. You are too kind!

#1315 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

Gorgeous tarts, Patrick!

Binkyboots...I love those s'mores! What a great idea. Yum!

Edited by Megan Blocker, 01 June 2006 - 12:33 PM.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#1316 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

How fun are those s'mores! Great job boots :)

#1317 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:52 PM

The cake looks awesome, FWED! What an awesome idea with the lemon cookies, binkyboots! :smile:

#1318 StephMac

StephMac
  • participating member
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:37 PM

The s'mores are GORGEOUS. What an excellent combination!

Aw, man, I drooled on my keyboard again...

#1319 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

Impromtu ginger pear crisp. Out of the oven at 10:30. In our mouths by 11. 2 pears, 2 servings. Variation on Gourmet's apple crisp. Yum.

#1320 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:55 PM

Just beautiful Fred, Patrick, and Binky. Hey, do those smores go all smooshy when you bite them? Or is the cookie semi-soft? I'm wondering how easy it was to get all three ingredients into one bite.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert