Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Dessert

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5794 replies to this topic

#1291 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:03 PM

Those mini tarts are too cute! :wub:

BTW, they look like mini quiche pans, if I'm not mistaken--the quiche pans are taller than the tart pans, but not as tall as the brioche ones. I use the same quiche pans (but mine are larger in diameter) for my tarts! :smile:

#1292 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:43 PM

Patrick - those are gorgeous! Which ones were your favorites? How did they taste?

View Post

They all turned out pretty good, but if I had to pick a favorite it would probably be the chocolate-caramel tart. I love the combination of fudgy ganache, chewy caramel, and crispy sweet tart dough.

View Post

Yeah, these really caught my eye as well. I jotted down the idea and need to try it sometime soon. Did you use your favorite caramel from Sherry Yard by any chance? (They all look really beautiful; I just was particularly intrigued by the flavors in the chocolate tart.)
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#1293 Renee K

Renee K
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:18 AM

Patrick, those tarts are gorgeous!

#1294 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:43 AM

Here are the chocolates from LA Burdicks I got last week. They are long gone...*sniff sniff*

(the box of chocolates had 2 layers...the flavours were all different)

Posted Image

#1295 RuthWells

RuthWells
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:10 AM

I've been doing a bunch of bite-sized desserts using my little tart pans. Actually I don't know if they are supposed to be tart pans or petite brioche pans, but they work fine as tart pans regardless.

Absolutely stunning.

I'd love to hear about your technique for lining the tins with your pastry dough. I did a bunch of tartlets from Sweet Miniatures a few weeks ago and was quickly reminded of how tedious and time-consuming it is to press the dough into each little tin. How did you get such consistent results, and did it take hours?

#1296 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:33 AM

Patrick - those are gorgeous! Which ones were your favorites? How did they taste?

View Post

They all turned out pretty good, but if I had to pick a favorite it would probably be the chocolate-caramel tart. I love the combination of fudgy ganache, chewy caramel, and crispy sweet tart dough.

View Post

Yeah, these really caught my eye as well. I jotted down the idea and need to try it sometime soon. Did you use your favorite caramel from Sherry Yard by any chance? (They all look really beautiful; I just was particularly intrigued by the flavors in the chocolate tart.)

View Post

That probably would work well, but instead I used a very simple caramel recipe a bit firmer than a sauce:

4T water
2T corn syrup
1C sugar
1T butter
4T cream

Combine water, sugar and corn syrup. Caramelize. Remove from heat. Add butter. Stir in cream, being very careful to avoid steam burns.
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#1297 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:49 AM

[I'd love to hear about your technique for lining the tins with your pastry dough.  I did a bunch of tartlets from Sweet Miniatures a few weeks ago and was quickly reminded of how tedious and time-consuming it is to press the dough into each little tin.  How did you get such consistent results, and did it take hours?

View Post

Definitely tedious and time-consuming, at least compared to just making one big tart or pie, but its not so bad once you get

For some of them I cut out circles of dough, pressed them into the tins, pressed out the sides and bottoms to as consistent a thickness as I could, and then trim the excess dough from the top using a knife. If the cut surface looked course, I would just tap it with my finger to smooth it out. For others I just took a lump of cool dough and pressed it into the tins. Of course, the more I did, the more I could kind of feel for the right dough thickness with my fingertips, and the more consistent they came out.

For blind-baking weights, I used two pennies stacked on top of a quarter, wrapped in foil to look like big Hershey's kisses (that makes them easier to add and remove from the tart tin). So, I would press the dough into the tins, refrigerate for a little bit, bake for several minutes, then add the weights (I found that if I added the weights at the beginning, they tend to get stuck in the dough), then finished baking.

#1298 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:52 AM

Beautiful tarts! Patrick, what is the diameter of your mini pans? Are they tinned steel or did you splurge on the heavier ones?
I'm just composing a menu of mini's for a group of ladies for next week. I was going to do lemon tarts anyways, but I think I may use your ganache/caramel idea. They sound divine. Did you like them with the white pastry shell or would it have been even better with a chocolate shell?
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#1299 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

Beautiful tarts! Patrick, what is the diameter of your mini pans? Are they tinned steel or did you splurge on the heavier ones?
I'm just composing a menu of mini's for a group of ladies for next week. I was going to do lemon tarts anyways, but I think I may use your ganache/caramel idea. They sound divine. Did you like them with the white pastry shell or would it have been even better with a chocolate shell?

View Post

I haven't measured them, but I think they are about 2" at the bottom and about 3" at the top. They are very thin and light. As for myself, I prefer regular sweet tart shells to all the chocolate doughs I've tried, so that's what I would use again next time.

Edited by Patrick S, 24 May 2006 - 08:06 AM.

#1300 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the caramel recipe and the mini-tutorial on your mini-tarts... :smile:
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#1301 Mistinguett

Mistinguett
  • participating member
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

This is from a few days ago - Three Nut Praline Buttercream Torte. The name says it all: three thin layers of almond, hazelnut and walnut cake with a simple praline buttercream. Very good.

Posted Image
The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

#1302 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

Mistinguett - mmmmm you've got me drooling!
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#1303 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:17 AM

I don't normally bake during term time since the oven in my residence kitchen is pretty dodgy, but I made some apple tartlets this morning because this afternoon my team competes in qualifying race heats, and I thought we'd probably want a little something for afterwards. :smile:
Posted Image

View Post

For those like me who don't have the Pie and Pastry Bible, here's Martha's puff pastry version as adapted by Nupur. This has been on my to-do list for so long.

Edited by rajsuman, 26 May 2006 - 01:19 AM.

#1304 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

This is from a few days ago - Three Nut Praline Buttercream Torte. The name says it all: three thin layers of almond, hazelnut and walnut cake with a simple praline buttercream. Very good.

Posted Image

View Post

I was wondering if the recipe for your wonderfully looking Torte was posted somewhere?
Thanks

#1305 Mistinguett

Mistinguett
  • participating member
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

Oli, it was published in a magazine (I cut out the recipes but I think it was a MS Living issue) years ago along with my absolutely favorite chocolate torte. I'll be more than happy to p.m. you *and anyone else who wants* the recipe later in the day as I'm not sure if I can post it here.
The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

#1306 Mistinguett

Mistinguett
  • participating member
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

My first Hummingbird Cake - big flop, the cake came out too dense (didn't rise as I expected). I actually cut each cake in two and layered the frosting to mellow it down. It tastes good (maybe a bit too much banana and too little pecans), the frosting definitely saved it.

Posted Image

#1307 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:26 PM

I had...uhm...6 desserts last night, 7 if you include the cheese course. I ate at Mistral, and it was one of the best meals of my life.

pictures here!

#1308 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:38 AM

Thank you, Ling, for *suffering* for us. LOL.

I've gingersnaps, very bad Egg Yolk cookies and cocoa cookies. Holidays are coming, and that means I can bake something new. Hooray!
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#1309 tupac17616

tupac17616
  • participating member
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

I don't think I've posted to this thread before, but I'm always drooling over (er, uh, reading) it. But I figured it's time I join the fun...
Marsala Zabaglione
Posted Image

#1310 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

Grapefruit sorbet from Eli's!

Posted Image
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#1311 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

I kind of hate to show such homely baking, after Patrick and Mistinguette's beautiful treats, but these were so unusual and delicious I have to share.

Posted Image
A friend was making a Greek dinner last night, and I wanted to bring a non-phyllo dessert. Amazing how little I knew about Greek sweets before a long trek through Google to find these. On top you see Amygdalopita, a Greek nut cake made with 14 eggs! And no flour, just ground nuts and bread crumbs. On the bottom, Cake with Sesame Seed Paste and Orange, a vegan (!) cake made with tahini and orange juice.

Both were super-dense and rich, and unlike any other cakes I've made. In fact, while the nut cake was baking I couldn't imagine what sort of dessert it would turn out to be - it has to have the weirdest directions of anything I've ever baked. I recommend both of these to you all - I baked them just as written, except that I used ground hazelnuts instead of almonds in the nut cake, because I had that in the freezer. I don't think it made any difference in the outcome. The recipes are here Tahini Cake and Nut Cake.

#1312 Mistinguett

Mistinguett
  • participating member
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

Oh Abra, those look scrumptious! the tahini cake especially, got to try that.

#1313 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:30 PM

Thank you, Ling, for *suffering* for us. LOL.

View Post

Oh yeah, I forgot about the lemon bar and the slice of coffeecake I had for breakfast that day. Brings my dessert total up to 9! :wink:

Yesterday I had coffee ice-cream for dessert...today I'm baking a chiffon cake.

#1314 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:11 AM

This is an El Rey white chocolate mousse with warm, thickened passion fruit sauce on top. The mousse recipe is from Sherry Yard, and is egg and cream-based. The sauce is simply sweetened passion fruit puree thickened with a little cornstarch. The picture is a wee bit overexposed.

Posted Image

#1315 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

Yummyyyyy!!! :biggrin:
Vanessa

#1316 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,276 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

Maybe overexposed but looks great Patrick.

I made Filipe's Portuguese Custard Tarts which at every stage I thought was going to be a failure and turned out deliciously.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#1317 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:06 AM

Sometimes underexposed or overexposed will give a more dramatic feel to the picture. I think the underexposure give the dessert a lightness as if one is trying to convey this is something one has at breakfast.
Nice

#1318 Eden

Eden
  • participating member
  • 959 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

No photo because it was not the most visually appealing, but tonights eventual desset was a real winner for taste.

After seeing the Strawberry Bruschetta thread I decided to try it. not the greatest ever since the berries weren't the best, but the grilled pound cake and a a dollop of sweetened sour cream made for a nice enough combo. However we then added a scoop of home-made basil ice-cream & suddenly WOW! the warm berries against the sweet cold basil were plate licking good :raz:

I will have to revisit this later in the summer when we actually have decent berries available.
Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

#1319 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

Eden, are you going to tell us how to make the basil ice cream? I've got my basil planted...

#1320 FWED

FWED
  • participating member
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:40 PM

Since this is the start of the berry season here in the Pacific Northwest I got an early start on it and made a Fraisier this weekend. The original recipe came form the book Dessert Circus by Jacques Torres. It is composed of: layers of biscuit cake sweetened with a sauce made of strawberry puree, simple syrup, and raspberry liquor; fresh raspberries and strawberries; and held together with a strawberry buttercream frosting. Needless to say a small slice goes a long way.

Posted Image

Fred Rowe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert