Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Dessert

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5781 replies to this topic

#5761 Simonne

Simonne
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

Thank you rod rock

#5762 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I finally made some decent french macaron...

Posted Image

Wow! Your macaroons look amazing. I tried to make them once, over 15 years ago. Unfortunately, they did not turn out.

#5763 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Beautiful feet on your macs Simonne! What are the flavors?

#5764 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

A bit out there - but I made a pumpkin-themed dessert. The main component was the pumpkin ice cream recipe from this blog. However, I pressure cooked the pumpkin (for the ice cream puree) with baking soda first to get it nice and caramelized.

I also made a pumpkin wafer by dehydrating a mixture of fresh pumpkin puree, egg whites, confectioner's sugar, and xanthan gum (whip to foam then dehydrated). Cinnamon crumble and some pumpkin pie soda (Maine Root brand, very tasty) are also shown.

Posted Image

Edited by Baselerd, 26 October 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#5765 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Well done, Baselerd. Looks delicious.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#5766 pjm333

pjm333
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

Pineapple Kiwi White Chocolate Parfait

Attached Images

• 3824519393_7e2b0c4a89_m.jpg

#5767 pjm333

pjm333
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Mint White Chocolate Torte

Attached Images

• 3794302830_c65e6146c6_m.jpg

#5768 sunshine-supernova

sunshine-supernova
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

the pumpkin ice cream looks super !

#5769 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

A bit out there - but I made a pumpkin-themed dessert. The main component was the pumpkin ice cream recipe from this blog. However, I pressure cooked the pumpkin (for the ice cream puree) with baking soda first to get it nice and caramelized.

I also made a pumpkin wafer by dehydrating a mixture of fresh pumpkin puree, egg whites, confectioner's sugar, and xanthan gum (whip to foam then dehydrated). Cinnamon crumble and some pumpkin pie soda (Maine Root brand, very tasty) are also shown.

Posted Image

That's a lovely dessert! How did you dehydrate the pumpkin wafer? Low oven, microwave, something else?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#5770 dhardy123

dhardy123
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Halloween Macarons:

Ghosts: Apple Cinnamon Buttercream
Pumpkins: Pumpkin Caramel Ganache from Greweling

Attached Images

• halloweenmacarons.jpg

#5771 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Halloween Macarons:

Ghosts: Apple Cinnamon Buttercream
Pumpkins: Pumpkin Caramel Ganache from Greweling

I am SO jealous. I can't even make round ones. How did you do the shapes?

#5772 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

That's a lovely dessert! How did you dehydrate the pumpkin wafer? Low oven, microwave, something else?

I started by following the Modernist Cuisine parametric recipe for dehydrated produce by blending fresh pumpkin puree with 1% Xanthan Gum and 18% egg whites (by scaled mass, i.e. 100% = weight of pumpkin puree). I also added maybe another 20% confectioner's sugar to sweeten the puree. Next I spread the batter about 1/8 - 1/16" thick between two pieces of parchment paper, and set them in my dehydrator for 4-5 hours, removing the parchment paper about an hour and a half in (once it was no longer runny or sticking to the parchment). Unfortunately my dehydrator doesn't have temperature controls, but I think it runs pretty hot - maybe 145 F?

Edited by Baselerd, 02 November 2012 - 07:56 AM.

#5773 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

Just finished one of the plated desserts out of Eleven Madison Park: Roasted Banana Sorbet, Chocolate Custard, Sesame-aerated chocolate, black sesame paste, yuzu pate de fruit, yuzu-caramel fluid gel, chocolate tahini feuillutine, carmelized bananas, fried banana-tapioca tuile. Great, unique flavor combinations. As usual, my (lack of) quenelling skills is fairly evident.

Posted Image

#5774 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Baselerd wonderful work and beautiful photography!

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#5775 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

I’m amazed, impressed and awestruck. I have some talented friends!

I made Michael Ruhlman’s Classic Yellow Layer Cake with my chocolate icing for a co-worker of Mr.Kim’s. This is one TALL cake:
Posted Image

Also tried out a new recipe from Cuisine at Home magazine for alfajores:
Posted Image
A really good orange/cinnamon scented shortbread-type cookies filled with dulce de leche. They are apparently a favorite cooky in Latin America. They start out very crisp, but the filling softens them over a day or so. We can’t figure out which we like better!

#5776 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Where is everyone??? I've lapped myself!

Baked a pumpkin-cream cheese ribbon loaf for dessert last night:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Really good and it made it feel like it was officially Fall!

#5777 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Kim, your cake looks delicious.

No photos but I've made Morning Glory Muffins and Orange Muffins (my very favorite). And I've made Chocolate Salami, and also Enstrom Copy-cat toffee and chocolate dipped-glace ginger for giveaways to folks who have helped us get settled in our rented condo away from home. Still have to make more toffee. It is such a hit with everyone. Oh right, and a Capirotada. Nothing special but I have been busy.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#5778 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Egg Nog Ice Cream!I've been experimenting with anticrystallization additives in ice cream custards, and $1.50/quart holiday sale egg nog allows me to vary the recipe easily. I've also found flaming 1/3 cup of rum with 1T of corn syrup results in a classic holiday nog flavor, though it doesn't affect freezing much.I'm currently using 0.5g of guar gum per quart of liquid. In addition to reducing ice crystals, it also results in incorporating more air; as a result, failure to reduce the speed after it begins freezing will result in the stuff rising out the top of the ice cream machine.

Attached Images

• IMG_20121121_181606.jpg

Edited by jrshaul, 24 November 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#5779 christine007

christine007
  • participating member
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

In a wierd way, this is using up Thanksgiving leftovers...

I had a lot of sour cream and whipped cream leftover, as well as some lovely canned organic apricots, so I made a Blancmage of sorts, using both cherry and strawberry Jell-0.
It had a lovely taste, very smooth and both tart and sweet..

Attached Images

• jello.jpg

---------------------------------------

#5780 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'm cooking more blueberry jam today. The thumbprints below are topped with my homemade blueberry jam, and store-bought guava jelly. Of all the jam flavors I make, blueberry goes exceptionally well with these nutty cookies.

Posted Image

Edited by pquinene, 27 November 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#5781 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Just finished one of the plated desserts out of Eleven Madison Park: Roasted Banana Sorbet, Chocolate Custard, Sesame-aerated chocolate, black sesame paste, yuzu pate de fruit, yuzu-caramel fluid gel, chocolate tahini feuillutine, carmelized bananas, fried banana-tapioca tuile. Great, unique flavor combinations. As usual, my (lack of) quenelling skills is fairly evident.

Posted Image

Oh my, I'd love a plate!

#5782 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

After 7 years, this popular topic has so many posts our database server can no longer handle it! This discussion continues in Your Daily Sweets, Part 2!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert