Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Dessert

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5781 replies to this topic

#3481 monavano

monavano
  • participating member
  • 849 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:56 AM

Your tart looks so lucious,  what is the layer in the bottom?

View Post

The bottom is a thin cheesecake. Thank you!

#3482 kreed

kreed
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:17 AM

Last week I made a Bienenstich (bee sting) cake for a German dinner. I also made a hazelnut cake (haselnusskuchen) but I did not take a photo of that one.

Here is the bienenstich before slicing horizontally and filling with pudding/pastry cream:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And a closeup of the topping which is made with sugar, honey and almonds:
Posted Image

I'm surprised by the level of rise I got out of this dough. Normally the bienenstich does not have such "oven spring" and is more of a flat yeasted dough.

#3483 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:59 AM

Welcome Kreed! Glad to have you on board. Nice looking stich!

I made this for a friend's birthday.
Posted Image
The base is one of the recipes from the flourless almond cake topic, topped in lemon bavarois, topped with lemon cream and fresh blueberries. Patrick A made the lady fingers for me.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#3484 pastrymama

pastrymama
  • participating member
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

Welcome Kreed, your cake looks wonderful, can you tell us what recipe you used, or where we might find it?

Rob, that is a really good looking cake and I bet it tasted great. I wish someone would make me something like that for my birthday. Great job!
check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

#3485 kreed

kreed
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

Welcome Kreed, your cake looks wonderful, can you tell us what recipe you used, or where we might find it?

View Post

Thank you pastrymama, I used alot of conversation with local german folks and research from quite a few recipes to make the cake. This one is similar in process and amounts to the recipe I came up with:

Bienenstich

Rob-Your cake looks wonderful. Any photos of the inside or a single slice?

Edited by kreed, 24 June 2008 - 01:06 PM.

#3486 racheld

racheld
  • participating member
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

Your tart looks so lucious,  what is the layer in the bottom?

View Post

The bottom is a thin cheesecake. Thank you!

View Post

I was gonna ask that---baked UNDER or before?

And ditto the luscious!

Edited by racheld, 24 June 2008 - 01:40 PM.

#3487 eskay

eskay
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

Oh my god everything looks so awesome. I want it alllllll :biggrin:

Kate---these are just enchanting---I read the word "rambutan" in a novel many years ago, and repeated it to myself at the oddest moments, like a mantra, for ages.  It stood for the exotic ne plus of all fruits.  I still do not know the taste---is it similar in taste and texture to a lichee?

And what is the pastry?  Are the strawberries baked in, or added after?  They still look plump and shiny and perfect.

View Post

Thanks rachel :) They were a big hit at work.

Rambutans are pretty similar to lychees in my experience (at least on the inside...). So they are quite sweet. A little grapey. I don't know how better to describe them.

The pastry is just a pate sucree, and the strawberries are unbaked. I brushed a bit of the jelly on top to make them shiny and pretty. :wub:
Kate

#3488 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:24 AM

Rob - I loved the blueberry brioche!  How did you form those?  I assume that there is more brioche under those lovely little curled up berry huggers on top?

View Post

I'll trade you the answer for your mixer! (Mine has been dead for 2 weeks and counting)

Simply rolled them like a cinnamon roll, plopped them in muffin tins and let them proof. Thanks

View Post

Thanks, Rob! Poor baby - I'd be a sad puppy without my KA! And that is a gorgeous cake - I just love the ladyfingers and ribbon - I'll have to try that on the next cheesecake I do. It's such a nice effect!

Randi - thanks for the tip - does the Hershey's recipe make enough batter for the 13x9" pan?

Yes, it does. I usually make the black magic in either a 9x 13 or a bundt.

View Post

Thanks, Randi - how about cupcakes? Does the batter do well for them? Some batters just don't - I haven't ever been able to manage angel food cupcakes, though I've tried and tried. I was thinking these for cupcakes topped with a strawberry or raspberry buttercream for July 4th.

monavano - that tart is exquisite!

Here's a cake that I made last night for a girl who is leaving work today to go back to college:
Posted Image
I have more room at the bottom than the top, but it looks ok for a beginner, I think! I only found out that they wanted me to make the cake at 5pm last night and we have out of town guests arriving today at lunch time while I'm still at work, so my evening was a little rushed :wacko: . I admit that I resorted to cake mix for the layers :blush: . There is a layer of devil's food, then a ganache filling, a layer of white cake and it's frosted with chocolate Italian meringue buttercream. The lettering is more ganache. There were lots of scraps and leftovers, so we got to taste it - it's really good! That buttercream is just wonderful!

Here's my messy edge work:
Posted Image
I need a remedial Wilton class :laugh: !

Here's a shot of the cake before frosting and after trimming:
Posted Image

#3489 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:02 AM

I have more room at the bottom than the top, but it looks ok for a beginner, I think!  I only found out that they wanted me to make the cake at 5pm last night and we have out of town guests arriving today at lunch time while I'm still at work, so my evening was a little rushed :wacko: .  I admit that I resorted to cake mix for the layers :blush: .  There is a layer of devil's food, then a ganache filling, a layer of white cake and it's frosted with chocolate Italian meringue buttercream.  The lettering is more ganache.  There were lots of scraps and leftovers, so we got to taste it - it's really good!  That buttercream is just wonderful!

Was it the Fine Cooking one you used or a different one?
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#3490 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:09 PM

I have more room at the bottom than the top, but it looks ok for a beginner, I think!  I only found out that they wanted me to make the cake at 5pm last night and we have out of town guests arriving today at lunch time while I'm still at work, so my evening was a little rushed :wacko: .  I admit that I resorted to cake mix for the layers :blush: .  There is a layer of devil's food, then a ganache filling, a layer of white cake and it's frosted with chocolate Italian meringue buttercream.  The lettering is more ganache.  There were lots of scraps and leftovers, so we got to taste it - it's really good!  That buttercream is just wonderful!

Was it the Fine Cooking one you used or a different one?

View Post

I actually used the Cake Love one that I've done before, because I was rushed and knew that I could do it with no problems. I'm thinking that I'm going to use the Fine Cooking one on July 4th. I think I'm going to do chocolate cupcakes with either strawberry or raspberry buttercream and sprinkles!

#3491 schneich

schneich
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

Posted Image

this is a gateau chocolat with a brownie base, a layer of feuilletine chocolate, dense chocolate mousse, a very chocolatey miroir chocolat (made by fruibel, great product btw,) and a few raspberries filled with a little bit of raspberry jelly....

cheers

t.
toertchen toertchen
patissier chocolatier cafe
cologne, germany

#3492 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

Posted Image

this is a gateau chocolat with a brownie base, a layer of feuilletine chocolate, dense chocolate mousse, a very chocolatey miroir chocolat (made by fruibel, great product btw,) and a few raspberries filled with a little bit of raspberry jelly....

cheers

Wow, Wow, absolutely beautiful. Was that cake from a recipe or did you make it up?

#3493 schneich

schneich
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

it was kind of inspired by christophe michalak :-) its a real seller in our shops...
toertchen toertchen
patissier chocolatier cafe
cologne, germany

#3494 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:32 PM

schneich - that gateau is just gorgeous! The shine, the little raspberries, the little flutters of gold foil. Sigh.....

This is what I made for dessert for our company this weekend:
Posted Image
It is a big mess of a faux torte made from ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sauce, bananas, caramel sauce, toffee bits, maraschino cherries and COOL WHIP :shock: !! Our company was of the almost family sort that I can experiment on. They aren't the type to be insulted at ice cream sandwiches and Cool Whip, but wouldn't mind telling me that it just didn't work and we'd could go out for ice cream! We did love this, though. Great combination of flavors and pretty to look at!

#3495 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

schneich  - that gateau is just gorgeous!  The shine, the little raspberries, the little flutters of gold foil.  Sigh.....

Posted Image
It is a big mess of a faux torte made from ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sauce, bananas, caramel sauce, toffee bits, maraschino cherries and COOL WHIP :shock: !!  Our company was of the almost family sort that I can experiment on.  They aren't the type to be insulted at ice cream sandwiches and Cool Whip, but wouldn't mind telling me that it just didn't work and we'd could go out for ice cream!  We did  love this, though.  Great combination of flavors and pretty to look at!

View Post

Kim, I looked in your Cookbook, but could find the instructions for assembly of this beauty. Help, Please! I can see the folks I volunteer for going nuts for this at a party. They love stuff like this... :rolleyes: :laugh:
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#3496 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:54 PM

schneich  - that gateau is just gorgeous!  The shine, the little raspberries, the little flutters of gold foil.  Sigh.....

Posted Image
It is a big mess of a faux torte made from ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sauce, bananas, caramel sauce, toffee bits, maraschino cherries and COOL WHIP :shock: !!  Our company was of the almost family sort that I can experiment on.  They aren't the type to be insulted at ice cream sandwiches and Cool Whip, but wouldn't mind telling me that it just didn't work and we'd could go out for ice cream!  We did  love this, though.  Great combination of flavors and pretty to look at!

View Post

Kim, I looked in your Cookbook, but could find the instructions for assembly of this beauty. Help, Please! I can see the folks I volunteer for going nuts for this at a party. They love stuff like this... :rolleyes: :laugh:

View Post

Here you go! It's a hard one to find on the webpage, because the name doesn't have anything about ice cream sandwiches - which is weird because they are the most fantastic thing about this monstrosity :laugh: !

#3497 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

Here you go!  It's a hard one to find on the webpage, because the name doesn't have anything about ice cream sandwiches - which is weird because they are the most fantastic thing about this monstrosity  :laugh: !

View Post

That would be great for the seniors!!

#3498 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

I made a St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake - OMG - delicious, decadent, and good for my cardiologist! I wrote a step-by-step in the Heartland Cooking & Baking forum HERE since its a local specialty.
Posted Image

#3499 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:57 AM

Here you go!  It's a hard one to find on the webpage, because the name doesn't have anything about ice cream sandwiches - which is weird because they are the most fantastic thing about this monstrosity  :laugh: !

View Post

That would be great for the seniors!!

View Post

That's so funny, Randi, because I thought about you and your folks when I was making this and even mentioned your thread to my friend!

#3500 RuthWells

RuthWells
  • participating member
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

Posted Image

cheers

t.

View Post

Oh, yum! Stunning.

#3501 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:58 PM

I made a St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake - OMG - delicious, decadent, and good for my cardiologist!  I wrote a step-by-step in the Heartland Cooking & Baking forum HERE since its a local specialty.
Posted Image

View Post

Good God Man! Do you want to kill me and send me to Sweet Heaven right now! My shopping list is ready and waiting. I think this cake will be delicious this weekend. Although it probably doesn't naturally fit into the French menu I've planned for Saturday with a nice Spring/Summer Veal Stew with Baby Vegetables, what the heck. That cake looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

#3502 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

After our worst Winter in 50 years-and snow into June-we are finally seeing the bounty of the great Northwest come alive in Eastern Washington. Both our raspberry and strawberry crops are about three weeks late this year-but not to worry, the recent hot sun has blessed us with very large, very sweet berries.

And so I share with you the simplicity of nature found in two recent dishes-Raspberry Tartlet and Strawberry Ice Cream.

I made a shortbread crust for the tartlet and filled it with pastry cream. I had thought about glazing the raspberries with red currant jelly, but after glazing a few of the raspberries in the jelly, I decided against doing so for the raspberries in the tart. While the currant jelly would have added a nice shine to the raspberries, I didn't like how the flavor of the jelly altered the virgin taste of these little red beauties.

Posted Image

I use the same basic recipe for every ice cream I make-eggs, sugar, vanilla bean, cream and whole milk. For fruit ice creams, I mash the fruit with some sugar. (If you add chunks of strawberries into the cream base they will freeze into little icy chunks of strawberry-not a pleasant texture in your ice cream).

Posted Image

After having made three quarts of Strawberry Ice Cream this Summer, I'm ready to move on to another one of our delicious Summer fruits. Next up, a batch of delicious Bing Cherry Ice Cream.

#3503 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

Great stuff everybody. Rob, I'm trying that cake. My cycling shorts say no but that picture says I have to.

Campfire:

Posted Image

toasted marshmallow ice cream - graham cracker cream - chocolate graham crumb - aerated smoked chocolate
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#3504 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:11 AM

And...

Larry, you're as bad as me! :raz: How does it all taste - inquiring minds do want to know.

#3505 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:54 AM

It tastes like s'mores made over a campfire. When I smoked the chocolate for the aerated chocolates I smoked half of the marshmallows for the ice cream at the same time. The other half of the marshmallows I toasted over a fire. The combination gave the ice cream that nice, toasty flavor that makes outdoors s'mores so much better than the oven versions. The graham cracker cream is a blatant rip-off of the Ideas in Food ritz ice cream recipe. I replaced the ritz with grahams and adjusted the sugar accordingly then used it as is instead of freezing it. The crumb is chocolate cookie crumbs, graham cracker crumbs, butter, 70% chocolate, sugar, salt and a little bit of egg white mixed, baked and crumbled. I'm happy with the result.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#3506 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:35 AM

Great stuff everybody. Rob, I'm trying that cake. My cycling shorts say no but that picture says I have to.

Campfire:

Posted Image

toasted marshmallow ice cream - graham cracker cream - chocolate graham crumb - aerated smoked chocolate

View Post

I'm back....I fell off my chair in a dead faint just trying to imagine toasted marshmallow ice cream :wub: :wub: :wub: ! Could you, would you possibly part with the recipe? Please, please?? I promise I won't go into business with it and become a multimillionare :wink: !

#3507 Vanilla Guerrilla

Vanilla Guerrilla
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

That campfire looks fantastic! I can only imagine how that tastes. I love smores and this looks like a proper adult version. I would love to know how you made this as well if you don't mind sharing some of your secrets.

#3508 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the nice comments. I don't mind sharing at all. For the ice cream I took 40 regular large marshmallows (from the grocery store, I may try it again with homemade marshmallow and see if it makes much difference but then again I may not... I was pretty happy with the result as is) and toasted half of them over a fire. Yes, I built a small fire with some of the hickory chips I was using for smoking the chocolate in a pan and used it to toast the marshmallows, a gas flame just didn't seem appropriate for this one. The other half I put in a pan and smoked while I was smoking the chocolate (I put the marshmallows in a pie pan and the melted chocolate in another pie pan and put them at one end of a large hotel pan, I then put another pie pan of smoking wood chips covered with foil with a few holes poked in it at the other end of the hotel pan, covered the whole thing tightly with foil and left it alone for about 30 minutes or so). I melted the marshmallows in 600ml of whole milk, sieved it, added a little vanilla and 500ml of 35% cream, chilled it and gave it a spin in the ice cream machine. It's not super sweet (compared to an actual marshmallow) so you may want to adjust the amount of marshmallow to your taste or add a bit of sugar.
The recipe for the graham cream can be found on the Ideas in Food blog. Search for ritz ice cream. I subbed the grahams in for the ritz crackers, reduced the sugar a bit and used it chilled as a cream instead of frozen. It's a simple 4 ingredient recipe but I don't want to put it here without their permission. Their original ritz version is a thing of beauty and it translated very well to the grahams.
The aerated chocolate is 200g of smoked 70% chocolate mixed with 100g of milk chocolate to mellow it a bit then charged in a cream whipper, sprayed and chilled.
The crumb is 2 parts oreo crumbs, 1 part graham crumbs, 1 part melted butter, 70% chocolate, sugar and salt to taste and a bit of egg white to bind it a little. It was spread on parchment and baked for a bit then cooled and crumbled.

#3509 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

Lemon Macaron with Dark Chocolate Ganache & Fresh Blueberries
Posted Image
Patric A did the macs (his piping skills are getting much better), and I filled with a quick 2:1 ganache and 3 blueberries set in the middle. Very yummy and of course sweet.

#3510 DesertCulinary

DesertCulinary
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

I made these Espresso Cheesecake Bars to celebrate our 3rd blogging anniversary... they were decadent and delicious! Bonus points for cutting nice and clean!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert