Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Reinhart

Bread

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#61 Jay Francis

Jay Francis
  • participating member
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 03:35 PM

I recently had the opportunity to enjoy a loaf of Poilane in London, Elie. I can confirm that yours looks exactly like theirs, colorwise. Good job!

#62 lovebenton0

lovebenton0
  • participating member
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

I baked the Piolane loaf on Teusday night- late Teusday night. Since the recipe specifies that it should be rested for a few hours after baking I did not try it out till last night. Sorry about the late report. First the pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The first picture is of the loaf right before going in the oven. As a whole the bread came out much better than before. Using the white wheat flour and a long first rise made a big difference. A tip for future Piolane Miche bakers, the loaf will bake for a long time in the oven, this one for about 45 minutes. So, if you are baking on a stone you might have to move the loaf up to a rack halfway through or the bottom might scorch. So keep checking on it. I simply moved it up to an oven rack and kept on baking.
I knew that this bread will be different from previous trials, as soon as the wonderful baking bread smell, indicating proper proofing, hit me instead of the raw sour wheat smell I've gotten before. It is still far from perfect though as the crumb is denser than I would like. I think by adding a small portion of white bread flour like rickster did I will get better results. Another thing I need to work on is the shaping, it is kind of tricky since the dough is not as flexible as others and I knocked out a lot of air when I did it.
All in all though, I am happy about the result and the sandwich was excellent even with store-bought (as opposed to Judith's home smoked :smile:) honey ham .

Elie

View Post

Lovely bread, Elie! :biggrin: Thanks for the notes on flour also. I want to try this one soon. Will be baking some bread this weekend, not decided yet which formula to try, but maybe the miche.

Marcia, I love your box idea, very creative! :cool: I too am surprised your crust is soft. Do you have an oven thermometer in place? Perhaps the oven is not getting as hot as you thought?

This is a pic of of a french boule I posted a while back. I brushed this one with butter after baking -- I don't remember why I chose to do that, :blink: but the crust was still good and crunchy. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

These are bread and rolls from the white and wheat bread formulas. I really love these light and soft dinner rolls made with the white bread formula, variation 3. The wheat are good too, heavier and chewier, makes a nice dinner roll basket variety.

Posted Image

edit to add images.

Edited by lovebenton0, 28 January 2005 - 05:41 PM.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

#63 Marcia

Marcia
  • participating member
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Japanese descendant, born/raised in Brazil, British citizen for a decade.

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:51 AM

Judith, your loaves are really beautiful, I loved your dinner rolls, they look so cute and yummy!!! Oh my oven is a total disgrace :rolleyes: ... I'd like a new one (a NEFF oven if possible) but we think we'd better move to a house first and them buy it, so... not for a while :rolleyes: ...

Jay Francis, where in London did you buy the Poilane miche? Was in that shop in Belgravia (Elizabeth Street)? :smile:

---

Seems like many of us are baking breads this weekend, can't wait to read about them all!! Please post you results and then we can all learn with your experiences.

I'm baking a Pain a L'ancienne again :smile:

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Marcia

#64 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:55 AM

I realized that I can't possibly make the Piolane. (no barm) :sad: So I am deciding between the Potato Rosemary which has had good reviews here or the Pugliese. I can make a biga without problem and I really like the lean breads best. Has anyone made the Pugliese? If so, any suggestions or tips not in the book? Thanks and I look forward to reading everyone's report and photos of their "weekend" bread. :biggrin:
"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

#65 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:09 PM

Great thread and great pictures. After years of strictly cooking, I'm trying to learn to bake. I've got the Bread Baker's Apprentice and I'm also taking a course at the Culinary Communion in Seattle.

Here's last weekend's effort at home--epis.

First one loaf of the bread as a whole:
Posted Image
I think I could have cut a little deeper and gotten a better shape.

And then the crumb:
Posted Image
I was pretty happy with this. It had a nice toothsome texture.

I used a stone and a pan of boiling water to generate steam. I boiled the water in a kettle and also got the pan blazing hot on the stovetop before putting the boiling water into it and putting it in the oven. I've gotten good results this way even without spraying.
Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook
MadVal, Seattle, WA
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

#66 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

So, I ended up making the white bread, variation 3 due to a request from the dearly beloved. I asked him what he thought I should try and he mentioned that he would like cloverleaf rolls to go with his rosemary chicken with spicy boonie pepper (think Thai peppers but smaller and hotter) cream sauce. Since time was short and I've made variations 1 & 2 before, I decided to try variation 3. I know white bread is not nearly as exotic or even as tasty as the others but there you are...when loved ones ask...we must respond!

Posted Image

Rolls just before baking

Posted Image

Finished and cooling - I'm still not happy with my oven even after the addition of clay tiles - it still bakes unevenly. You can see I had extra dough which I made into a small group of pull-aparts.

Anyway, the bread was very tasty and fast. The sponge was ready in 1 hour and the first rise took only 45 minutes and second was 35 minutes. So what did everyone else bake this weekend?? Inquiring minds want to know!

#67 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:43 PM

I'm still concentrating on a basic 65% lean dough. There is still just a little variation in feel and fermentation time from batch to batch, so I'm trying to correlate that to the final results. I'll probably keep doing this for several more weeks or until I get bored and have the urge to try something else.

This week's dough was a little stickier than the last two, but not so sticky as to be unmanageable, except when it came time to slash it. Even my sharpest knife stuck once the blade was in more than a few millimeters. I'll need to get a razor blade.

Fermentation was about two hours, with four turns. I then rounded the dough, proofed 30 minutes, rolled and shaped, then 20 more and into the oven.

Here are some pictures of the results. First, the exterior view:
Posted Image
Each loaf is a little over a foot long, which means two or three fit nicely on my peel and stone. The shape is getting fairly uniform, but still not perfect. Should I just call it rustic and be done with it?

Here's a cross section showing the crust and crumb:
Posted Image
The crust was crisp and well-formed, except for the bit at the bottom right of the photo. I think there may have been an issue there with the parchment sticking to part of the dough that was not in contact with the stone, and thus it didn't get the benefit of the steam.

Once again I used a blazing hot pan of rapidly boiling water from the stovetop, which I put in on the lower rack. The upper rack had the stone and bread. No spraying was done, but there was plenty of steam when I opened the oven to pull the water out after 15 minutes.

Comments, criticisms, or suggestions from forum members greatly appreciated.
MadVal, Seattle, WA

#68 lovebenton0

lovebenton0
  • participating member
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:06 PM

So, I ended up making the white bread, variation 3 due to a request from the dearly beloved. I asked him what he thought I should try and he mentioned that he would like cloverleaf rolls to go with his rosemary chicken with spicy boonie pepper (think Thai peppers but smaller and hotter) cream sauce. Since time was short and I've made variations 1 & 2 before, I decided to try variation 3. I know white bread is not nearly as exotic or even as tasty as the others but there you are...when loved ones ask...we must respond!

Posted Image

Rolls just before baking

Posted Image

Finished and cooling - I'm still not happy with my oven even after the addition of clay tiles - it still bakes unevenly. You can see I had extra dough which I made into a small group of pull-aparts.

Anyway, the bread was very tasty and fast. The sponge was ready in 1 hour and the first rise took only 45 minutes and second was 35 minutes. So what did everyone else bake this weekend?? Inquiring minds want to know!

View Post

Nice rolls, glossyp! :biggrin: How did you think the variation 3 compared to the 1 and 2 as far as texture and taste?

I think it makes tasty, satisfying dinner rolls when one has to be a bit quicker on the delivery.

Vengroff, good job on the epis. The crumb is very nice. :cool: You're thinking right, a deeper cut would give you a more breakaway shape. Next time. :wink:

Disappointed to say that baking bread was not in my weekend plans after all. Unexpected weekend guests put a stop to that. :hmmm: My starter is ready to play when I am so . . . Tomorrow, the basic sourdough formula, but I'm going to play around with it a bit. :rolleyes:

edit to say: Vengroff, you were posting your loaves while I was reading BBA :blink: while posting the above and I missed them -- looking good, crust and crumb. They are "rustic" if the dough is fairly wet so I'd say just be happy. :wink: :biggrin: As far as some variation in fermentation goes -- it will always be so. Dealing with living organisms and not in a strictly controlled environment -- our kitchens vary day to day enough to affect the yeast's fermentation properties certainly. Keeps one from getting bored with the same bread. :raz: :laugh: .

Edited by lovebenton0, 30 January 2005 - 11:18 PM.

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

#69 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:52 AM

Lovebenton0 - I'm envious that your starter is ready. No success yet with the seed formula from Crust & Crumb which was supposed to be better...I look forward to seeing your creations with the sourdough. As far as the variations on the white bread, I'm hard pressed to see much difference between them other than 3 is much faster to make. Your rolls were beautiful and shiny did you use just an egg wash?

Vengroff - Really nice bread. You must have a great oven to be able to fit such nice large loaves :smile:

#70 Marcia

Marcia
  • participating member
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Japanese descendant, born/raised in Brazil, British citizen for a decade.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:07 AM

Glossyp, your rolls look great! I'm sure your loved one deserved them :biggrin: ! The cloverleaf shape is so cute, I think your bread is the cutest so far in this thread :wink: .

Vengroff, your loaves are fantastic too, what a nice colour and texture inside! How much water do you put in the pan that goes inside your oven?

---

As from me, I made Pain a L'ancienne again.
This time I baked for a lot longer and finally get a better crust. But still not fabulous :wink: . This time the taste wasn't as nice as the first time but I'm pretty sure I overprooved it :rolleyes: I left the dough in the worktop to de-chill and we went out. It supposed to be a quick walk but then we found a nice new cafe on our way, decided to have lunch there and then... forgot about the dough! :shock:

Posted Image

Oh, I've just bough a box of unglazed quarry tiles! They are 6"x6" and 1cm thick. I'm thinking of making two layers with them because they're not so thick, do you think it will make a difference? I'm also thinking of putting them inside a large pan sheet to make it easier to remove from the oven when I don't need them instead of collecting 18 pieces of tiles :blink: . What do you think?

:smile:
Marcia

Edited by Marcia, 31 January 2005 - 09:31 AM.

#71 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:15 AM

Vengroff - Really nice bread. You must have a great oven to be able to fit such nice large loaves :smile:

View Post

Thanks glossyp.

It's a pretty standard American wall oven. 27" size I think. The stone I use is 14" by 16", and the loaves are about 13" long, so three can fit side by side, though I usually make just two at a time.

Vengroff, your loaves are fantastic too, what a nice colour and texture inside! How much water do you put in the pan that goes inside your oven?

View Post

Thanks Marcia.

I put two or three cups of water in a 1qt All Clad pan. Basically as much water as I can get in there without it bubbling over when it comes to a strong boil. It holds a lot of heat for a small pan, and they are not that expensive, at least relative to the rest of the All Clad stainless line. My instructor used a cast iron skillet for the same purpose, but the boiling water isn't the best thing for the seasoning of the pan, so I used the stainless pan instead.
MadVal, Seattle, WA

#72 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:27 AM

As from me, I made Pain a L'ancienne again.
This time I baked for a lot longer and finally get a better crust. But still not fabulous :wink: . This time the taste wasn't as nice as the first time but I'm pretty sure I overprooved it  :rolleyes: I left the dough in the worktop to de-chill and we went out. It supposed to be a quick walk but then we found a nice new cafe on our way, decided to have lunch there and then... forgot about the dough!  :shock:

View Post

Marcia - The crust looks much crisper and crunchier. And, in the scheme of life, a nice relaxing lunch at a new cafe is as good a reason as any to neglect the dough! :biggrin:

#73 bentherebfor

bentherebfor
  • participating member
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:54 PM

GORGEOUS! I've gotta get my hands on this book...
Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox
benherebfour@gmail.com

#74 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:24 AM

I baked a Tuscan loaf yesterday (I will post pics tonight hopefully). I made the full recipe but decided to make one large loaf instead of two with it. I also overproofed in the pre-shaping phase since I had to leave. So it proofed for a few extra hours :shock:. I think this was not a bad thing though since the bread came out wonderful tasting with a definit sweet taste. This bread has no salt at all which might also account for the sweetness. However, I think it might be the longer proofing that broke down the starches even further into more sugars. Overall I am very happy with it and will try it again.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#75 lovebenton0

lovebenton0
  • participating member
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:38 AM

Oh, I've just bough a box of unglazed quarry tiles! They are 6"x6" and 1cm thick. I'm thinking of making two layers with them because they're not so thick, do you think it will make a difference? I'm also thinking of putting them inside a large pan sheet to make it easier to remove from the oven when I don't need them instead of collecting 18 pieces of tiles  . What do you think?

Really no need to remove the tiles from your oven. They will make your oven more heat efficient if you just leave them in there -- better heat distribution. I bake anything on them if I need that rack. And they're the best for baked potatoes. :wink:

A note on rising and proofing. I used my oven with only the oven light turned onn and door closed to provide a stable environment for both the initial rise of the dough and the proofing after shaping. Excellent! Reads at 80 degrees F. The kitchen gets too cold and drafty with the heat cutting off and on. I have been setting the dough in the cabinet beneath the wall oven. On days the kitchen is too cold (either in winter or due to AC which is certainly a problem!) I have occasionally turned on the oven and allowed it warm that cabinet area slightly. But what a waste of energy! :blink: Premium priced energy at that! :shock:

So I did bake bread. I played a bit with the Basic Sourdough formula and made sourdough rye with cornmeal boules. I used some of my mother starter (which I keep fairly wet), to which I added a cup of rye flour and water to feed it a few days before, as the barm for the starter. This formula requires a firm starter -- like a biga, french bread dough consistency. I also added a cup of rye to the final dough and one half cup of cornmeal.

I baked one boule on the second day (yesterday) and left one to retard again after shaping overnight in the fridge. That one I baked this afternoon. You'll see -- the texture of the crust is different. Baking method was the same. I started each one on the back side of a baking pan then carefully transferred it to the stone once the crust had set after the first ten minutes.

Grain sourdoughs are more compact in crumb, but still should have variation there. Perhaps the first boule could have had more variation in the crumb but overall I was very pleased. I haven't cut the second boule yet.

Firm starter, cut for mixing with final dough, on day two after overnight in fridge.
Posted Image
First boule
Posted Image
The crumb
Posted Image
Second boule
Posted Image
There is no sugar in this formula, yet the bread is both sourdough tart and sweet, good crunch to the crust. The rye and cornmeal make a nutty grain bread without being heavy.

We liked it so much we had to have oven toasted sandwiches tonight for dinner with potato soup. :biggrin: Shredded pork cooked with sauerkraut, apples, onions and beer/cider vinegar, Muenster cheese, for sandwich filling. I made some hot/sweet mustard to go on these too. (That's onion confit topping the potato soup.)
Posted Image

I'll post a pic of the second boule crumb after I cut it. You can see it in the pic --the crust of the second one baked with tiny flaky bubbles all over it, yet the crust is still hard beneath those. I'm curious to see if the taste was also affected by the extra night of dough retardation then proofing from the chilled state.
Judith Love

#76 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:13 AM

Judith, these look great! I like the idea of adding cornmeal and rye to make a nice grain bread.
What's the yellow tint on the barm? Is that Olive oil?
Also, do you slash the bread right after shaping or right before putting in the oven? I ask because the slashes look as if they "healed", which happens sometimes if you slash then let proof. Just curious.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#77 lovebenton0

lovebenton0
  • participating member
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:56 AM

Judith, these look great! I like the idea of adding cornmeal and rye to make a nice grain bread.
What's the yellow tint on the barm? Is that Olive oil?
Also, do you slash the bread right after shaping or right before putting in the oven? I ask because the slashes look as if they "healed", which happens sometimes if you slash then let proof. Just curious.

Elie

View Post

Thanks, Elie! :biggrin:

The yellow on the barm is OO cooking spray.

No, I did slash after proofing and wished I hadn't bothered to try. :sad: That usually goes like sssslick! But there was just enough heavy grain in the dough to make even my freshly sharpened knife want to pull so I just left it -- and as you see I didn't even bother to try it on the second boule. I usually slash when the dough is about 3/4 proofed and that gives it a lovely bloom. Like in my avatar. Bake and learn! :raz: :laugh:

And do you have pics of your Tuscan loaf, Elie? I want to try that one too. Perfect for my lo-sodium diet. :biggrin: What, if anything, did you smear on your Tuscan? Hmmm . . . Based on PR's comments on the bread (flat taste without salt so the Tuscans dip or smear in rich food) and your comment on the sweetness of yours, it might work to do the extra night in the fridge retarding it. Just as alternative to over-proofing, that is. :wink: :biggrin:
Judith Love

#78 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:14 AM

Lovebenton0 - Your bread looks wonderful. I agree with Elie that the combination of grains makes a great idea for a delicious loaf. The meal looks excellent too! Yum, yum.

Elie - Please post pics for your Tuscan bread if you can. I'm very keen to see what this looks like.

I made the odd recipe out from the BBA yesterday - the cornbread. It turned out quite well and was a perfect addition to our meal of chicken corn chowder. I made a half recipe and used a small cast iron skillet for baking. It took forever (almost 20 minutes) for the skillet to get hot enough to add the batter. Peter estimated 5 to 7 minutes using a regular cake pan.

Posted Image

Ready for the oven

Posted Image

Baked

Posted Image

Interior shot. You can just make out the corn kernels in the crumb.

Great to see what everyone is doing! I'm waiting now for my Oregon Trail starter to arrive having given up (for the time being) on getting one started here. You all inspire me!

:smile:

#79 Marcia

Marcia
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:48 AM

Fantastic pictures! Congratulations to everyone!
I'm going to make a pizza tonight (Pizza Napoletana page 207). The dough is in the fridge since last night. I'm using the italian flour "type 00" and I have no idea if it's good or bad for pizza. As my husband said, there's only one way to find out: making it. I'll post the results. Can't promise pictures because we're normally so hungry at dinner time!!

Have a nice weekend everyone.
Marcia

#80 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:55 AM

Wnderful cornbread. Another one that I have to try after seeing this.
Unfortunatly, I am STILL having problem uploading pictures to eGullet. that is why my Tuscan bread has not made it in this thread yet. Worst case, I will upload the pics from work on Monday if I cannot figure it out this weekend.
Tuscan bread, even though saltless, has great taste. So far I used it just like any hearth bread. Topped with soft scrambled eggs, topped with slices of spicy "basterma" (a cured beef), and smeared with butter and salt. I also liked it's taste cubed in a North African chickpea soup dish.
This weekend I will bake from another book, the recently acquired "HomeBaking : The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World". A wondeful book that I picked up brand new for $9 at HalfPrice books.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#81 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:37 AM

Finally, I got my images uploaded. Here is the Tuscan bread from last week:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This weekend I tried the cron bread to go with some chili I made. Wow!! even without the bacon (I did use bacon drippings though) it was wonderful. I baked it in my cast iron skillet. Sorry, for some reason I forgot to take a pic of the whole thing in the skillet. So here is a slice with the chili:

Posted Image

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#82 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:33 AM

Elie - Your Tuscan bread is spectacular! May I ask what tool you use to slash the tops of your loaves with? I've tried different sharp edges and followed Peter's instruction to slash at a horizontal angle but I always get some tearing - not clean cuts like you have.

The cornbread is excellent, isn't it? Your chili looks yummy too!

#83 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:33 PM

I use razor blades. The flat ones. You can buy them for a few dollars at any hardware store or hardware section at Walmart. Mine come in a pack of ten I think and I have had them for a couple of years.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#84 Marcia

Marcia
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:58 AM

Questions to my fellow home-bakers:

When making a lean crusty bread:

1. Do you knead by hand?
2. What's your technique?
3. How long for in average?
4. When do you feel that it's time to stop kneading? Do you check the temperature? Do you make the windowpane test? Any other way?

---

I haven't got a Kitchen Aid or any of those wonderful mixers (although I asked it for Santa and he keep failing to bring it! :hmmm: ) and I mix everything by hand. I found that mixing the wet ingredients first and then adding spoonfuls of flour makes the task easier. Then I knead by hand using the push-roll-turn method. I normally make the windowpane test before stop kneading but I'm not sure if it's enough...

Well, so far my breads had a bit of dense consistence and I'm not sure if the lack of kneading is the culprid...

If you have a spare time, please tell me how do you knead your breads. Any input or suggestions will be appreciate.

Cheers. :smile:

Marcia

Edited by Marcia, 09 February 2005 - 07:00 AM.

#85 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:49 AM

Unless the bread is very wet (like Ciabatta) I almost always use my food processor to incorporate and more or less knead everything. Then I transfer to my counter and knead some more, usually a couple of minutes is all that is needed at this point. My test is always the windowpane where applicable. I have no mixer either but the food processor really makes my life easier and cuts my mixing/kneading time by a lot.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#86 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:52 AM

Hi Marcia!

I don't have a mixer so I knead all my breads by hand. I have found that I have to knead the lean breads (except for the super wet ones) for what seems a really long time to get the proper sheen and elasticity. I set a timer at 10 minutes and do my first check at that point. I usually have to knead for at least another 5 minutes. I remember when I was growing up watching my mother knead bread and how she wouldn't consider it "done" until she could windowpane a 3"x3" or thereabouts square without any tearing. When I first started baking bread I didn't heed this and had some less than pleasing results. Peter is right when he says it's virtually impossible to overknead bread by hand.

It's a great upper body workout! Hope this helps.

Forgot to add that I also check the temp as well but never follow that alone as an indication of readiness.

Edited by glossyp, 09 February 2005 - 10:54 AM.

#87 Marcia

Marcia
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:58 AM

Hello!

Thanks Ellie and Glossyp for sharing your kneading methods!

Today I baked the Pane Siciliano and I can honestly say that it was the best bread I've ever baked so far! Hooray!! It's nice, light and soft inside, the crust is nutty and crisp and the whole loaf smells so lovely! I think I'm finally getting there! I'm beginning to understand and to feel the dinamic of the fermentation, kneading, proofing and all that. I'm so happy and excited! Thanks each one of you who've been helping me and teaching me this alchemical magic of making bread :wub: ...

Here's a picture of My Big Fat S Bread:

Posted Image

I hadn't got sesame seeds so I used Poppy Seeds instead. It worked well in my opinion.

And here's a picture of the small roll I made with the rest of the dough:

Posted Image

Have you noticed the cute slash? Have you? Have you??

:biggrin:
Marcia

#88 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:36 AM

What beautiful bread! A perfect shape - congratulations on a stunning loaf! I can practically taste it...ummm, yummy! Yes, I did indeed notice the slash, very nicely done. How did you get the perfect slash I know you were struggling with it as I have been. Did you take Elie's tip and use a flat razor or something else??

#89 lovebenton0

lovebenton0
  • participating member
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:49 AM

There's some beautiful bread popping up here! Marcia, lovely S and yes, cute slash too on :rolleyes: the roll.

Corn breads, both of them, Elie and glossyp look wonderful as well as the Tuscan bread, Elie.

OK. I confess.... I forgot all about posting a pic of the second boule when I cut it. :blush: The taste was a bit sweeter, and the crumb was chewier than the first boule baked the day before. I did remember that I posted this of the second boule in the dinner thread.

Posted Image

We finished up the last of that boule yesterday as garlic toast -- a very good keeper.

More bread tomorrow.

Marcia, I knead by hand, but have used the FP to incorporate lliquid into the flour base a few times. Still knead after that. I find that 15 minutes total kneading time, i usually rest the dough, and myself :wink: after the forst 10 then for about 5 minutes then finish kneading. I use both the windowpane and the temp to gauge. Now that I have a good thermometer, I do. I used to just feel it. Same results, I've had plenty of practice feeling when the dough has come to life. But I do like the added assurance of the temp that I did not utilize before.
Judith Love

#90 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:02 PM

Marcia- This Pane Sic. looks perfect. The crumb looks excellent as well!

So what did you use to make that perfect slash?

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread