Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Soup Topic (2005–2006)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
568 replies to this topic

#541 Marlene

Marlene
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

After Thanksgiving dinner tonight, it will be turkey soup on the simmer tomorrow!
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#542 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:36 AM

After Thanksgiving dinner tonight, it will be turkey soup on the simmer tomorrow!

View Post

Me too, but I don't actually like turkey soup for some reason so I make stock and it's into the freezer for the next batch of turkey gravy.

#543 christine007

christine007
  • participating member
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:57 AM

:biggrin: Marlene, I know it's Monday, because I'm in the US, and I totally read you had Thanksgiving, and I'm like, Huh??
I'm a tad more awake now, hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving.
I found one last monster zuchinni yesterday while clearing the garden, going to defrost some stewed tomatos I made with my homegrown tomatos and make a vegetable soup. Zuchinni is surprisingly good in soup.
---------------------------------------

#544 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

View Post

Me too, but I don't actually like turkey soup for some reason so I make stock and it's into the freezer for the next batch of turkey gravy.

View Post

Well it's not my favourite, but my son loves it. I don't make turkey all that often, so I'll make stock then use some for soup and I'll keep a small bit back as stock.
Marlene
cookskorner

#545 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:07 AM

View Post

View Post

Well it's not my favourite, but my son loves it. I don't make turkey all that often, so I'll make stock then use some for soup and I'll keep a small bit back as stock.

View Post

I am just the opposite - keep the turkey but let me have the soup! My daughter cooked a 25lb turkey on Saturday and I got the carcass. The stock is made and de-fatted and I have one batch of pretty traditional turkey soup but I would like to do something different with the remaining stock. I am thinking something with a Mexican bent - but I don't have many Mexican ingredients around and they won't be easy to get in a day or two. Bearing in mind that we don't "do" rice, lentils, barley or other such grains and legumes, and I don't want to just add chili powder, anyone? Am I just mad?
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#546 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:57 AM

View Post

View Post

View Post

I am just the opposite - keep the turkey but let me have the soup! My daughter cooked a 25lb turkey on Saturday and I got the carcass. The stock is made and de-fatted and I have one batch of pretty traditional turkey soup but I would like to do something different with the remaining stock. I am thinking something with a Mexican bent - but I don't have many Mexican ingredients around and they won't be easy to get in a day or two. Bearing in mind that we don't "do" rice, lentils, barley or other such grains and legumes, and I don't want to just add chili powder, anyone? Am I just mad?

View Post

How about posole, green chilis and some ground meat of some sort. Kind of like the stew you get on the reserve outside Santa Fe, the name of the dish escapes me.

#547 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:14 AM

I am just the opposite - keep the turkey but let me have the soup!  My daughter cooked a 25lb turkey on Saturday and I got the carcass.  The stock is made and de-fatted and I have one batch of pretty traditional turkey soup but I would like to do something different with the remaining stock.  I am thinking something with a Mexican bent - but I don't have many Mexican ingredients around and they won't be easy to get in a day or two.  Bearing in mind that we don't "do" rice, lentils, barley or other such grains and legumes, and I don't want to just add chili powder, anyone?  Am I just mad?

View Post

Kerry's idea re: green chile thing is a good one. Here's a recipe that I worked up after a trip through New Mexico. It's based on the green chile I had at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup and can be served with beans if desired (red beans, cooked, not refried beans).

2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. chili powder (see Note 1)
1 tsp. cumin seed, toasted and crushed (see Note 2)
8 Anaheim peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 chicken breast, minced (see Note 3)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

Notes:
1. I just added this for colour and a little oomph. I usually buy California chili powder and New Mexico chili powder from the Hispanic foods aisle and then blend them at home.
2. Feel free to substitute ground cumin for this. I happen to be out of it at the moment so I toasted 1 tsp of seeds in a frying pan and then crushed them with the back of a spoon.
3. Again, this is a case of using what’s on hand. Feel free to substitute 6 oz. of ground chicken if you like.

Directions:
1. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and reduce heat to medium-low. Sweat the onion mixture until the onions are translucent and soft but not brown.

2. Stir in the spices. Then add the peppers. Stir until well mixed. Add the chicken and stir.

3. Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a good simmer.

4. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for as long as you like.

Another idea might be that Mexican soup with the little meatballs in it, albondigas. (Good thing I looked up the spelling of that; otherwise I might really have embarrassed myself!) Maybe it could be made with a poultry bent instead of the usual beef.

#548 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

I think my next soup adventure will be pozole! I've been thinking about it for awhile, and again, you've all inspired me.

The Pistou is even better today. Like most one pot food items, it's better after sitting for a day or so. I had two bowls for lunch! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#549 Rover

Rover
  • participating member
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

[FONT=Geneva][COLOR=green] Looking for Inspiration

I had a lot of leftover cooked beef which I ground, thinking of making something like a shepherd's pie. However, the result was very "gloppy" and the texture unsuitable and unappealing for a pie. So - I'm wondering if there's a soup waiting to be born from this. The flavour is a little on the mild side, but tasty and I would be sorry to waste the beef. I've not been able to come up with a soup, does anyone have an inspiration to help me out, please?

Rover

#550 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

[FONT=Geneva][COLOR=green] Looking for Inspiration

I had a lot of leftover cooked beef which I ground, thinking of making something like a shepherd's pie.  However, the result was very "gloppy" and the texture unsuitable and unappealing for a pie.  So - I'm wondering if there's a soup waiting to be born from this.  The flavour is a little on the mild side, but tasty and I would be sorry to waste the beef.  I've not been able to come up with a soup, does anyone have an inspiration to help me out, please?

Rover

View Post

What about a stew?
Marlene
cookskorner

#551 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:09 PM

what about a vegetable beef soup using carmelized onions, carrots, celery (if you can tolerate it), the ground up beef, potatoes, garlic, some thyme and some peas? add in some bread and a green salad - ohh....or if you have good greens - mustard, kale, chard- can you chiffonade them and add to the soup?

it is supposed to be quite cold tonight so when i get home from work tomorrow i'm planning on a white bean, pasta and greens soup using some squash, onions and some mystery greens(maybe mezzaluna?) i got from the farmers market last weekend. because they are organic and fresh i find they do keep well. i am adding some raw milk cheddar and the rest of the loaf of an olive bread for our dinner.
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#552 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

. . .

Kerry's idea re: green chile thing is a good one. Here's a recipe that I worked up after a trip through New Mexico. It's based on the green chile I had at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup and can be served with beans if desired (red beans, cooked, not refried beans).
. . .

View Post

Thanks for this. I did something based on your recipe using the ingredients I had on hand and it turned out very well.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#553 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

Turkey soup

Posted Image
Marlene
cookskorner

#554 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

It's officially winter in some places - like here. After a long day and a slow drive home, I opened the fridge and freezer to see what I had. This is literally a cleaning out the produce drawer sort of soup.
Posted Image
I had 1/2 of a leek and 2/3 of an onion. Started slowly cooking them in a mix of canola oil and butter (I'm out of olive oil). Then I peeled and cut up the last carrot and celery rib - added them to the sweating onions, with some kosher salt and black pepper. Cook for a few minutes. Added about 1 liter of veg. stock and some water, brought it to a boil, then reduced to simmer. I had one russet and one red potato - both had seen better days - peeled and cubed. Added to the simmering pot. Roughly chopped the 1/2 cauliflower and set it aside until the potatoes were just tender. Added it along with a couple handfuls of frozen green and wax beans. I added the last 2-3 Tbsp. of cream in the fridge... then another 1/4 cup or so of half and half. It needed some thickening - a slurry of flour and the last of the 2%. Cook it out - thickened but still missing something. Shred the last 2 ounces of Swiss cheese and stir that in, toss in a couple of frozen cubes of basil and parley. Excellent.

Hit the spot - and I'm always pleased when a truly delicious dish comes from no planning and just seeing what's hanging out in the fridge..

#555 dockhl

dockhl
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

My favorite kinda soup, sounds delicious. :wub:

#556 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:49 AM

Had duck carcasses left from the weekend. Made a stock with them and then made loads of wontons. Had wonton soup yesterday and now have lots of frozen wontons ready for quick and tasty lunches in the future.

My 2004 eG Blog

#557 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

pouring rain here but still oddly warmish.
i wanted to do some vegetarian soup to go with some pumpernickel bread i did yesterday/today. had borrowed Deborah Madison's book from work so riffed off her lentil ministrone - french lentils, leek, white onion, yellow onion, the last shallot, garlic, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, tomato paste, vegetable stock and water. i have some pepe and some kale that will get added in the next few minutes to finish it.

Joe Gould

#558 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:06 AM

We made a big batch of chicken soup at work on Wednesday. And I really wanted soup, but I didn't want chicken soup. So I turned it into wonton soup and made it dinner Wednesday night. It was so good - really hit the spot :wub: .

(A little soy sauce was added after picture taking.)

Posted Image

#559 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,870 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

We made a big batch of chicken soup at work on Wednesday.  And I really wanted soup, but I didn't want chicken soup.  So I turned it into wonton soup and made it dinner Wednesday night.  It was so good - really hit the spot  :wub: .

(A little soy sauce was added after picture taking.)

Posted Image

View Post

Damn, that looks good!

#560 Pontormo

Pontormo
  • participating member
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

First, gorgeous soup, Pam!

Since I'm the Toliver of the Italian forum, I just wanted to draw your attention to this thread on Italian soups.

The LATimes recently panned the recipes in Fabio Trabocchi's new cookbook as not being very well adapted for the home cook, but do look at one of the most recent posts for the chestnut soup. I paraphrased and posted something perfect for this time of year when it has become easier to find fresh chestnuts in grocery stores than it used to be and there are sources for good peeled chestnuts. It is a glorious, rich soup.
"Viciousness in the kitchen.
The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

#561 Carrot Top

Carrot Top
  • legacy participant
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:40 PM

A creamy shrimp and corn chowder enlivened with a big handful of fresh mint and a generous shot of hot sauce.

Would have added a swoop of brandy, too, if there had been any here.
:biggrin:

#562 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

It's cheating, but red peppers weren't too expensive at the wholesale this week, so I bought a case. Yesterday I roasted 40 lbs. of peppers - today I peeled them and right now they're simmering in a pot with some other goodies. I'll take the immersion blender to them - and take 1 or 2 litres home with me!

#563 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:52 AM

last night was our traditional "night before thanksgiving"(ok- 2 nighs before this year) dinner - homemade manhattan clam chowder with oyster crackers.

this year i cheated and bought freshly shucked clams from my local fishmonger - 2 pints. sauteed half an onion in bacon fat, bay leaf, carrot, celery, potato cubes in the clam liquer and water. them chopped tomato. when the potato was just tender add the clams and turn off the heat.

took a pint to my neighbor for her mom and john has a pint and a half in the freezer for a future meal.

Joe Gould

#564 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

Yesterday, at about 4:30 PM I had one of those "there is no way I can wait until I get home tonight for dinner - I need something now" moments. So in my very fancy bowl I had some of the Roasted Red Pepper soup I made the day before. Garnish with soup croutons that my father keeps a container of on his desk. Tasty And Fun! :laugh:
Posted Image
(yes, they're shaped like little fish)

#565 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

In the last week, two batches of chicken soup (it's so freakishly cold here!) and one of Avgolemono (no picture of this one because it looks like white mush but tastes great!).

But from one of the chicken soups, including a couple of necks, some carrots, celery, rice & more of the soup croutons from about, just square (and called shkiday marak):
Posted Image

#566 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:26 PM

I came to this thread quite late, so forgive me if this has been discussed, but does anyone (Anna M) have a recipe for wontons? Everyone here is talking about tossing in wontons like they grow on the wonton tree . . . if only . . .

My household has become soup obsessed . . . cooking on the weekends, freezing for the week. I got my parter James Peterson's Splendid Soups and a Bamix immersion blender for Christmas. We just finished the last of the turkey soup, which to me is about as good as it gets.

I've got a pumpkin sitting around wanting to be something . . . I'm thinking pumpkin and green bean, kind of a riff on the gypsy soup recipe from the Moosewod, an exceedingly good recipe . . .
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#567 Carrot Top

Carrot Top
  • legacy participant
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

Everyone here is talking about tossing in wontons like they grow on the wonton tree . . . if only . . .

View Post

Well. . .if spaghetti grows on trees I don't see why wontons wouldn't.

#568 Carrot Top

Carrot Top
  • legacy participant
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

But if those trees do not grow in your area, here is a recipe. :wink:

Most grocery stores have fresh wonton wrappers available (in the produce section), unless you really want to make those yourself from scratch.

#569 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

I'm in a chicken soup rut. But, I'm not complaining. I made a large pot on Sunday. The containers on the back left were taken off before I added the dill. They're for New Year's Eve Chinese Hot Pot. Some had rice added, others don't. Now I have a little stash in my freezer for when I'm craving it.

eta: I buy frozen wonton skins. Then I mix some ground chicken meat with mirin, soy, sesame oil, green onions and ginger. Last time I added some chopped mushrooms too.

Moderator note: This topic continues in The Soup Topic (20072012)

Edited by Mjx, 27 February 2013 - 10:15 AM.