Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Seasons 1-5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1581 replies to this topic

#661 Claudia Greco

Claudia Greco
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:06 AM

I didn't find out that Tony Bourdain was stranded until a minute ago- I just got out of Beirut two days ago while the bombs destroying the road to Syria were being dropped in our wake... was fortunate to get a seat on a plane out of Damascus. 

I wish I'd known he was there, I'd have smuggled him onto the bus.

View Post

Glad to hear of your safe return, Verjuice.

View Post

Indeed, "Verjus" - welcome back home! But, conversely, if you knew Tony and the crew were hold up at the Moevenpick, maybe camping out at the bar or pool wouldn't have been a bad alternative (!) Seriously, though - glad you got out. I read today that the U.S., Italy, etc., were trying to evacuate their citizens to Cyprus, but the sick, elderly, etc., first. So I'm guessing Tony might have a bit of a wait - unless the Travel Channel can wrangle a charter flight out for ZeroPointZero (!)

#662 foodie_mike

foodie_mike
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:22 AM

FYI: No Reservations DVD's:

The New Zealand/Malaysia and Sicily/Las Vegas Episode dvds are on sale at $4.99 each.

Check it out at: http://shopping.sear...s&go.x=0&go.y=0

:huh:

Also, Tony and the crew, our thoughts are with you. Please stay safe.

foodie_mike
foodie_mike
Located in beautiful uptown Burbank

#663 tabasco cat

tabasco cat
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

This is my first post, and I just wanted to wish Tony and crew all the best! :biggrin:

I've been a huge fan for years, and I just found this wonderful site. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from all of you, and hope I can add a little humor and help to those who need it!

I'll keep reading... THANKS!

#664 Eden

Eden
  • participating member
  • 959 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

Best wishes on getting out safely and quickly to Anthony and crew--before the blender drinks run out, preferably!

Just saw on TV this AM that there are 25,000 Americans in Lebanon--this is going to be some airlift!

Per this article from MSNBC about 24000 of those folks are dual citizens, so "only" 5000 or so are likely to want evacuate.

Hopefully they'll put Bourdain & crew on that first cruise ship out. Good luck to everyone over there!
Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

#665 =Mark

=Mark
  • participating member
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

So I'm guessing Tony might have a bit of a wait - unless the Travel Channel can wrangle a  charter flight out for ZeroPointZero (!)

View Post

Of course since the Isrealis blew all the airports apart a chartered plane would be of dubious iuse...
=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.
Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.
Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

#666 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

So I'm guessing Tony might have a bit of a wait - unless the Travel Channel can wrangle a  charter flight out for ZeroPointZero (!)

View Post

Of course since the Isrealis blew all the airports apart a chartered plane would be of dubious use...

Perhaps we could take up a collection to send in a Harrier jumpjet.

#667 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:08 PM

I hope that somehow, some way, this makes it into a show. The show could end with Tony and crew being evacuated from Beirut bye the U.S. Marines on a big helicopter. Maybe he could snack on an MRE on the flight out. :)

(Is that too morbid for me to think of? )

Anyway, stay safe, Tony and crew.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#668 =Mark

=Mark
  • participating member
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:13 PM

I've bugged him for years, during both the shows, to offer an uncensored directors cut of them for the real fans. There's got to be a DVDs worth of great stuff on the cutting room floor...
=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.
Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.
Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

#669 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

From the Page Six in the NY Post a few days ago:
click

"Our network, our friends and our families just want us out of here as soon as possible," Bourdain told Page Six yesterday afternoon, as Israeli shells exploded in the distance. "We're not getting a show out of this . . . I just wanna hang out and drink at the bar. The mojitos here are great.
"They're bombing right now in southern Beirut. I can hear the explosions. The thing is, the people here are really, really nice and totally embarrassed by Hezbollah and horrified by the bombings."
After spending Monday and Tuesday eating his way through Beirut and befriending locals, Bourdain and his crew partied at local nightclubs into the wee hours. "This is a party town," he explained. "Everyone in this city is [bleeping] gorgeous. It's like L.A. It's a totally international, sophisticated city. Everyone speaks English and throws dollars around."

But many Lebanese who fear Israeli reprisals will get worse were streaming out of Beirut yesterday. "The roads to Damascus are packed with every Lebanese with a Rolodex," said Bourdain, who is the chef-at-large at Park Avenue South bistro Les Halles. "They're all heading toward Damascus."

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#670 Claudia Greco

Claudia Greco
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

View Post

Of course since the Isrealis blew all the airports apart a chartered plane would be of dubious iuse...

View Post

I meant a charter flight out of Cyprus or wherever they evacuate them to.

#671 Claudia Greco

Claudia Greco
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

I hope that somehow, some way, this makes it into a show.    The show could end with Tony and crew being evacuated from Beirut bye the U.S. Marines on a big helicopter.  Maybe he could snack on an MRE on the flight out.  :)

(Is that too morbid for me to think of? )

Anyway, stay safe, Tony and crew.

View Post

Hardly. I, for one, could certainly see a Fall of Saigon/Apocalypse Now kind of feel to a Beirut - The Show That Wasn't episode. Including, of course, how people might have had to cope trying to get food and water in a war zone, or how people tried to go on as normal (the Page Six articxle says he talked to Lebanese in the streets). Then, of course, Tony and the crew WOULD be just the very bunch of people who could manage to party all night at a local club while the city they're in was being shelled. As Jason succintly put it - "Shwarma and Shrapnel" (!)

#672 Swisskaese

Swisskaese
  • legacy participant
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:43 PM

I realise that most of you sitting in your comfortable homes are finding all of this a bit like a movie, but some of us are sitting near the line of fire and don't find this the least bit humerous. Some of us have family in the countries involved, soldiers in harms way and family sitting in bomb shelters or homeless or even dead. Have a little respect.

Edited by Swisskaese, 17 July 2006 - 03:51 PM.

#673 bourdain

bourdain
  • participating member
  • 759 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:10 PM

I'm very aware of how flip my response to the Post was (made last Wednesday, very early in the crisis)as I sought to reassure family and friends that we were safe and okayand in good cheer. . It was--at the time--very representative of the (outward) attitude of Beirutis themselves, who pride themselves on their resilience and their determination to "keep the party going." Initially, many Beirutis were still going strong at nightclubs as jets flew low and menacingly overhead. Even that proud, famously world-weary attitude quickly changed, however, as circumstances here became even more appalling. I can certainly understand how offensive it might be to those on the ground here--or those with family and friends here--to read some of what's been posted on the other NR thread--and understand why it's been closed for now.
It is indeed heartbreaking and horrifying what has happened to this lovely country--to spanking new, lovingly restored,resurgent Beirut in particular, in only a few days of sustained and seemingly senseless destruction. A few days ago, this was a place where people were bursting with pride for the relative tolerance, progressive attitudes, and lack of conflict between groups. I was standing with a group: a Sunni, a Christian, and a Shiite--by the Hariri memorial when the gunfire started and the Hezbollah people appeared driving through city center and honking their horns in "celebration" for the capture/kidnappings. The look of dismay and embarrasment on all three faces...and the grim look of resignation as they all-- instantly-- recognized what would inevitably come next...it's something I will never forget. Of the three, our Shiite security guy, a tall, taciturn man, was the last to leave us, insisiting on staying by our side though he and his family lived in the much more perilous Southern part of Beirut. After witnessing many quick telephone exchanges between him and his family, and as more bombs and shells began to fall, seeing him nervously fingering his prayer beads, we finally convinced him to leave. His house was later flattened..We were soon relocated to a safer part of town.The sense of regret and ...shame we feel at being relatively safe yet witness to the carnage...and that we never got to show the world how beautiful this country and its people are--how much "like us" (yet uniquely and wonderfully not), how international, muti-lingual, multi-faith..how fantastic the food and hospitality is...will gnaw at us forever. WE will make it home. WE--unlike most Lebanese, have been (relatively) safe and secure during this. Trapped, yes--but trapped by a freaking swimming pool-not under the rubble of our homes. We may be only a few thousand yards or a few miles from the falling bombs-but we have an eventual way out. What hasn't been talked about much in the press, is how many young returnees there are/were here: young, educated Lebanese who'd emigrated abroad or been born aboad and only recenly returned..how filled with hope they were, how much they loved their country, how hopeful and enthusiastic they were that they could make a difference (and they WERE making a difference). That is all ashes now..
We (the NR crew) are indeed well--and well looked after. It's indeed frightening here, it's enraging, it's horrifying,and its frustrating..the classic "long hours of boredom interspersed with moments of terror" phenom they always use when talking about life during wartime. But we are relatively safe. And sooner or later we will no doubt be heading home.
We will never forget the Beirut that could have been-and will hopefully be again. Or what we saw here.

I fully hope and expect that the administrators/mods will allow this post--and immediately close it to further comment. The crew and I greatly appreciate all the previous comments and expressions of concern here and thank you all.
abourdain

#674 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:31 PM

From the Travel Channel website:

http://community.dis...4911901438/p/12

Friends and fans,

We’re delighted to inform you that Tony and the entire crew left Beirut this morning on the USS Nashville en route to Larnaca, Cyprus. We have arranged special air travel to have them back in the USA as soon as possible. On behalf of Tony, the crew, Travel Channel, and Discovery Communications, we’d like to thank you for your concern and support during this difficult time. We look forward to sharing Tony’s experience from Beirut with you soon, stay tuned for more information on a possible special episode of “No Reservations.”

Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#675 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

More from Reuters:

http://www.alertnet....k/L20701101.htm
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#676 foodie_mike

foodie_mike
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

Tony is quoted at DNA - World:

"The embassy didn't answer the phone for a week. At the checkpoints, it was like a Metallica concert gone terribly wrong. It was a mob scene."
US television chef Anthony Bourdain, aboard the USS Nashville.

Find it here, about 2/3 the way down:

http://www.dnaindia....?NewsID=1042914

Mike
foodie_mike
Located in beautiful uptown Burbank

#677 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

[Moderator's Note: I've just received this email from Anthony Bourdain -- CA]

Me, Jerry, Todd, Tracey and Diane are all safely home .. I should tell you that expressions of concern here at eGullet were a comfort to us while we hunkered down in Beirut..and that we're enormously grateful to the Travel Channel, who took extreme measures to see we were as safe as possible while in Beirut--and then went to extraordinary lengths to get us safely and quickly back. Main Man at Travel, Patrick Younge, even met us at the airport with a pack of my very-hard-to-find cigarette of choice in hand. I can't say enough nice things about the Beirut (and the Beirutis) we saw and met in the short time before everything went to hell. And I can't begin to describe how regretful we are that we won't be able to show the world how beautiful a place, how good the food, how nice the people we experienced in the two short days we had of unrestrained filming . Freshly back--and ahead of so many others-- it would seem ungrateful to share my dim view of how the US embassy and State dept. appeared to be going about their business. BUT: My admiration for the sailors and marines of the Nashville and the way in which they--at short notice, last minute, steamed from Jordan to perform an incredible difficult job (for which they had had little if any experience) is boundless. The minute we became charges of the navy and marines, we (and everyone else aboard--from beachhead to Cyprus) were treated with breathtaking kindness,generosity and sensitivity. The minute we passed into their care, every aspect of exfiltration was performed with incredible efficiency and care. I will never forget the impromptu refugee camp set up on the Nashville's flight deck: EVERY group of huddled evacuees, families, children, old people--had at least one or two marines sitting with them, talking to them, seeing to their needs. Most of these young men and women knew nothing of Beirut. Many who I spent time with on the smoking deck (Yes! a smoking deck!), had never even been to New York--much less been trained to handle (in many cases) psychologically shattered refugees. They treated everyone, EVERYONE with patience, courtesy and kindness. The logistical challenges alone were enormous--that they managed to perform them so flawlessly AND keep the kids amused, feed any and all tuna noodle casserole, macaroni and cheese, corn dogs and key lime pie...give up their own blankets and sheets...give tours and every other imaginable measure of hospitality was..well..awesome. To my mind, they put every other branch of govt involved in this horror show to shame. It is always a joy and a relief to find oneself in the hands of professionals.
You have all likely seen the photo of the young marine, Sanchez, holding two infants, kissing one of the cheek as he carried them across the water onto the landing craft. It was quite another thing to meet him and talk with him (him still holding a freshly printed copy of tomorrow's wire service cover photo)...an ordinary young man, getting ribbed by his buddies for being thrust into extraordinary circumstances. Bashful, proud, emotional and inspiringly..human.
We are very aware--painfully aware--that we are among the fortunate. Our hearts and best wishes go out to all those we left behind. We will never forget what we saw.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#678 MinhD

MinhD
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:27 AM

Tony (Bourdain) was on Larry King Live last night, speaking about his trip to Lebanon, specially about Beirut. Unfortunately I only caught the last minute or two of it :angry:, but I think he was filming there for his No Reservations show when all hell broke loose.

Anybody watch it, was the interview any good?

#679 ZenKimchi

ZenKimchi
  • participating member
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:38 AM

Here's a link to the transcript.
<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

#680 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

Damn. :blink:

Helluva story, Tony. You're always where the action is! I hope you can get those three back on camera at some future date when this blows over, that would make for quite a show segment. Then go have dinner somewhere in the new Beirut.
"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II
Portland Food Map.com

#681 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

I wish I knew this was going to be on. I would have TiVo'ed it. Any idea if/when it will re-air?

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#682 Darren72

Darren72
  • participating member
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:38 AM

I wish I knew this was going to be on. I would have TiVo'ed it.  Any idea if/when it will re-air?

View Post

Honestly, if you read his posts on eGullet, you pretty much got the gist of the short Larry King segment (as you can also see from the transcript above). There were a few nice stills from the Marine ship and a few from Lebannon, though. It was a very short segment, though fun to watch.

I loved that Larry introduced him as a "celebrity chief".

#683 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:13 PM

We're reopening the topic, once again, to discussion about "No Reservations," the shows and production both. As we all surely wish Tony well upon his return stateside, let's keep those kind thoughts out of this topic. Thanks!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#684 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

when is the next NEW episode scheduled to air?

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#685 rose_ayn

rose_ayn
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:31 PM

when is the next NEW episode scheduled to air?

View Post

January.

#686 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:41 AM

For all you Tony groupies, Mr. Bourdain will be doing a live chat on the Washington Post web site today at 11am. Just remember it's all about him.

#687 ThatGrrl

ThatGrrl
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:40 AM

For all you Tony groupies, Mr. Bourdain will be doing a live chat on the Washington Post web site today at 11am.  Just remember it's all about him.

View Post

Here is the page they are going to use for the discussion. I think The Post probably requires registration, as do most major papers, these days. They are already accepting questions, if you have a one, but can't take time to attend the discussion. They will leave the full transcript posted, after the discussion.

#688 phlox

phlox
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:04 AM

For all you Tony groupies, Mr. Bourdain will be doing a live chat on the Washington Post web site today at 11am.  Just remember it's all about him.

View Post

Here is the page they are going to use for the discussion. I think The Post probably requires registration, as do most major papers, these days. They are already accepting questions, if you have a one, but can't take time to attend the discussion. They will leave the full transcript posted, after the discussion.

View Post

I don't see where the chat is going to actually appear.
"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

#689 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:12 AM

Reload the page. Tony's comments appear on the bottom. I asked a question, lets see if it gets picked.
PS: I am a guy.

#690 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

I just saw this weeks episode (repeat but new for me) on montreal. The scene where the family is dining on raw seal has to be one of the most facinating food related TV I've ever seen. I got the sense of a sunday dinner meal except the meal was eaten on the kitchen floor (reminded me of steam crab meals at my house growing up) and that the meal was not only eaten raw but butchered right in front of everyone.

Love it.