Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Best Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 winesonoma

winesonoma
  • participating member
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:06 PM

I'm going to make one of my favorite Mac and Cheese recipes tonight, Greek Pastitio or Pastitsio and was wondering what other's favorite recipes were?

Edit: unsure on spelling

Edited by winesonoma, 02 November 2004 - 03:13 PM.

Bruce Frigard
Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"
111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

#2 Stone

Stone
  • participating member
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:10 PM

I use the recipe on Saveur's site. But I use a combo of cheddar, gruyere and parmesan.

#3 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

Well so far everyone who's had mine says it's awesome. But it's not mine, it's Martha's! Sharp white cheddar and gruyere, noodles, creamy bechemel sauce. YUM!

Edited by little ms foodie, 02 November 2004 - 05:14 PM.

#4 Marlene

Marlene
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:19 PM

I used the one from the William Sonoma "American" book last week. Even my husband liked it and he hates mac and cheese. :smile:
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#5 Susan G

Susan G
  • participating member
  • 867 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:22 PM

I use extra-sharp cheddar in mine, swirled into a bechamel sauce, and baked extra-long to get a golden crust on top. (I'll have no truck with breadcrumb or crushed-potato chip toppings!)
I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

#6 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:29 PM

There was a previous topic on this subject in which I confessed my use of rather mundale ingredients.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#7 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:40 PM

I make something like Alton Brown's recipe but the day after, I love his For Whom the Cheese Melts .. with panko crumbs and all crunchy ... :biggrin:
Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

#8 irodguy

irodguy
  • participating member
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:58 PM

There was a previous topic on this subject in which I confessed my use of rather mundale ingredients.

View Post

Yep mine is also similar with a few variations. I used Cabot 50% and use smoked paprika.
Never trust a skinny chef

#9 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 04:59 PM

Mascarpone, Gouda and Monterey Jack, 2 lbs. cheese to 1 lb. macaroni. Very short cook time as so rich it separates easily.
Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

#10 helenas

helenas
  • participating member
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 05:08 PM

I probably repeat myself but then i'm never tired of pitching Upscale Macaroni :smile:

#11 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:15 PM

Previous discussions:
"Cheese and Macaroni, Homemade, gourmet, or Kraft's?"
"Macaroni and cheese, Continued, recipes"

That being said, my niece likes Patti Labelle's "Over the Rainbow Macaroni & Cheese" which is a heart attack waiting to happen that includes 4 kinds of cheese (5, if you count Velveeta :blink: ).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#12 fifi

fifi
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:48 PM

View Post

Yes! And I made it. And it was fantastic! Now I have lost it. :sad:
Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

#13 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:13 PM

This is the original post:

I agree with you 100% There are some "convenience" foods that are worth using because they enable you to do other things with more flair.
I often have people ask me for my recipe for Mac 'n Cheese. I unabashadly tell them my "secret".
First I cook the Creamettes brand elbow macaroni, if that is not available then it is Barilla.
It is then cooked aldente, then drained, tossed back in the pot with butter and a can (or two, depending on the amount of macaroni) of Campbell's Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup, undiluted.
Stir, pour in a casserole, sprinkle the top with parmesan or asiago, freshly grated and run under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
It is alway creamy, never gets gummy or hard and tastes good.
If we want spicy it is the Nacho Soup I use.
In the meantime, I have baked bread from scratch, cooked fresh mushrooms, onions, tomato and squash, grilled chops or steaks and prepared a killer dessert.
The mac and cheese takes 15 minutes, tops.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#14 hillvalley

hillvalley
  • participating member
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:15 PM

I have a friend who makes mac and cheese using the pasta from Easy Mac. But instead of the powdered packet he uses goat cheese and white truffle oil :wacko:
True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

#15 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:17 PM

Isn't it easier to just buy pasta in its own box?? Especially given the other ingredients being used which are so delicate ... and expensive .. just a thought ...
Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

#16 hillvalley

hillvalley
  • participating member
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:19 PM

Isn't it easier to just buy pasta in its own box?? Especially given the other ingredients being used which are so delicate ... and expensive .. just a thought ...

View Post

Absolutely. That's why the easy mac part is so absurd. I make fun of him for this on a regular basis :biggrin:
True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

#17 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:21 PM

View Post

I am the King of eGullet Searches! :laugh:
andiesenji's recipe for mac & cheese (it should take you to the exact post)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#18 phifly04

phifly04
  • participating member
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:34 PM

family recipe for baked mac and cheese
1lb box elbow mac,cooked al dente
11/2 cups milk
1 package philly cream cheese
3/4 lb. pack of extra sharp white cheddar
direction--simmer milk and cream cheese till melted pour in buttered 9x9 bakind dish,top entirely with sliced cheddar bake at 350 for 45 mins till cheese is brown on edges**note-great with baked ham :wub:
Enjoy!! Dave s
"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"
James Beard

#19 eunny jang

eunny jang
  • participating member
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:40 PM

SAGE!

Gruyere, garlic, and SAGE!

I like the breadcrumbed, finished-in-the-oven sort.

with SAGE!

#20 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:24 PM

I make the John Thorne inspired, Cooks Illustrated stovetop version, except that I use Monterey Jack for its melting qualities and aged Gouda for flavor. If I don't have aged Gouda, I use really really sharp cheddar.

If you don't know this version, it calls for evaporated milk. My best ever incarnation of the dish occurred when I used leftover evaporated milk that I'd stored in a jar that previously contained smoked mustard. The milk took on this ethereal subtle smoky flavor from the jar that imbued the whole dish. (I just found some more of the mustard, so I plan to save the jar and try to recreate it.)

Although I have to say that the cut up, rolled in panko, deep fried leftovers that Alton Brown made on his show have me re-thinking the bechamel/custard baked-in-the-oven style, just so I could do that with the leftovers.

#21 winesonoma

winesonoma
  • participating member
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:09 PM

Well it was a big hit. By the way Pastitsio has a layer of cinnamon flavored meat in the middle.
Bruce Frigard
Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"
111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

#22 David94928

David94928
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 11:07 AM

I'm going to make one of my favorite Mac and Cheese recipes tonight, Greek Pastitio or Pastitsio and was wondering what other's favorite recipes were?

View Post

I just made some four cheese pasta this past week.

Fontina, Gorganzola, Pecorino Romano and Parmesan-Reggiano in decending quantity.

Baked for about 15 minutes in the oven to toast the bread crumb topping. YUM!!! :biggrin:

David

#23 joey madison

joey madison
  • participating member
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 12:10 PM

I use a three cheese combination: a bit of 3 year Shelbourne Farms unpasteurized white cheddar, a milder canadian cheddar, and some parm regg. The Shelbourne Farms give the cheese an extra depth of flavor that's really fantastic. I also tend to use rigatoni instead of elbow macaroni, because I think it holds the sauce and cheese better.

#24 viva

viva
  • participating member
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 12:11 PM

Well so far everyone who's had mine says it's awesome. But it's not mine, it's Martha's! Sharp white cheddar and gruyere, noodles, creamy bechemel sauce. YUM!

View Post

Martha's is the best... :wub: :wub: ...the ultimate in comfort food. I bake it in a large shallow baking dish & double the breadcrumb topping, so there's plenty of crunch!

Second best is my grandmother's with Velveeta. Served with fried catfish.

I also like the cavatappi noodles instead of elbow... they hold more cheese sauce.

Edited by viva, 04 November 2004 - 12:12 PM.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

#25 NVNVGirl

NVNVGirl
  • participating member
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:43 PM

I've tried a lot of recipes for mac and cheese trying to find one that's delicious but not ordinary....I think Martha's is excellent! But my very very favorite is one called Macaroni and Cheese with Prosciutto and Taleggio that was in Bon Appetit's How America Eats issue in March of 2002....I'd be happy to send the recipe to anyone who can't find the magazine, since I looked for it over at epicurious and it's not there, unfortunately. I only use half the amount of prosciutto and the cheese, but it's by far the best mac and cheese I"ve ever tasted.

Edited to add: it also used optional truffles and white truffle oil....oh man, I think I'm gonna have to make some this weekend :rolleyes:

Edited by NVNVGirl, 04 November 2004 - 02:45 PM.

#26 lovebenton0

lovebenton0
  • participating member
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:43 AM

When going for my standard I like to use a combo of Monty Jack and very sharp cheddar, good bit of the sharp on top. Baked until crusty all around. (My mr will fight me for the crust. :wink:) Half and half or evap milk, both are good, red pepper or black.

But my new favorite variation on the theme is an old German/PA Dutch standard -- German Noodle Ring. Swiss cheese with egg noodles. Bechamel sauce, with tons of Swiss melted in, sometimes a little caraway seed, sauce poured over noodles in a ring or bundt pan (I have a ceramic bundt that is killer for this) baked until solid and crusty around the edges. Then the other half of the sauce is ladled over the unmolded ring. Arranged in the center -- (seared, I prefer adds something to dish) asparagus or other green veg like broccoli spears (peas are also suggested in original recipe, but I haven't tried those).

We have been known to get up to eat this in the middle of the night. :blush:
Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

#27 achevres

achevres
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:52 AM

View Post

I just made pastitsio last week and used my favorite recipe (halved) by James Beard, from his book Beard on Pasta. Well, it's the only recipe for this dish I've ever used, because it's so good I've found no reason to stray.

For American Mac and Cheese, I like the microwave version from Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet. The sauce is ready before the pasta (Barilla elbows, with the ridges) is cooked. It's homemade, easy and so good.

My 12-year-old daughter loves both these dishes.

#28 s'kat

s'kat
  • participating member
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:31 PM

I was almost permanently scarred by a bad run-in with the old-school, blue box Mac n'Cheese during my childhood, and have never touched the stuff since. When I saw this thread, I instantly thought of how much my husband would appreciate a big, heaping bowl of the homemade stuff, especially after a long day spent working hard in the chilly Autumnal air.

I used little miss foodie's suggestion of Martha Stewart's recipe. So easy. So, so good! I especially loved the little crispy bits of browned breadcrumbs on top... next time, I may add a little crumbled bacon to that top layer.

Excellent thread.

#29 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:48 PM

I was almost permanently scarred by a bad run-in with the old-school, blue box Mac n'Cheese during my childhood, and have never touched the stuff since.  When I saw this thread, I instantly thought of how much my husband would appreciate a big, heaping bowl of the homemade stuff, especially after a long day spent working hard in the chilly Autumnal air.

I used little miss foodie's suggestion of Martha Stewart's recipe.  So easy.  So, so good!  I especially loved the little crispy bits of browned breadcrumbs on top... next time, I may add a little crumbled bacon to that top layer. 

Excellent thread.

View Post

s'kat, this was also the first mac n cheese I made since a childhood run in also! Martha to the resue! haha!

Glad it turned out so well :smile:

#30 bleachboy

bleachboy
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:21 PM

Just mentioned it on another thread, but the Mac 'n' Cheese in Cooks Illustrated a few months ago is by far the best I've ever tasted -- my wife agrees, and she's a Mac 'n' Cheese fanatic (in the South, M&C is considered a "vegetable").

You basically just make a bechamel, then stir in one pound sharp cheddar and one pound monterey jack until it melts, then add one pound cooked elbow macaroni and some cayenne pepper and seasonings to taste.

It's very convenient, since when I make it I buy the one-pound bags of preshredded Monterey Jack and Sharp Cheddar from the grocery store. Yeah, not very "eGullet" but it works fine.

Optional are the buttered breadcrumb topping (and subsequent broiling to crisp), parmesan on top, or any sort of truffle flavoring which is the true apotheosis of this dish. I made some last week with about $20 worth of white truffles and it was freaking unbelievable. Sean Brock at Capitol Grille here in Nashville also uses truffles. Yummmm.
Don Moore
Nashville, TN
Peace on Earth