Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

The Conservative influence on Cuisine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:48 AM

My first exposure to what I guess is now termed the "avant garde" movement in cuisine was via a New Scientist article about Heston Blumenthal and some of the work he was doing in the Fat Duck around 1999. The first thought that struck me was "Wow, this stuff is absolutely amazing" but this was quickly followed by the second thought "Waitasec... you mean it took us 400 freaking years before someone thought to try this?"

While almost everybody who reports on your work seems to focus on the foams and the jellies and the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, it seems to me that much of your fundamental innovation could have been achieved in any reasonably equipped kitchen in the last 200 years.

Why is it, do you think, that chefs have been reluctant for so many years to perform even the simplest of experiementations with these ingredients that they work with every day to see if they can ever behave in ways that would surprise them.
PS: I am a guy.

#2 Ferran Adrià

Ferran Adrià
  • participating member
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:58 AM

There's a common misunderstanding about elBulli's kitchen: people think it's like the NASA. But except for a few tools like the Pacojet, the rest are quite common. Siphons have been around for many, many, years. It's the idea of how to give them a new use that matters.
Ferran Adrià
elBulli

#3 Ferran Adrià

Ferran Adrià
  • participating member
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:55 AM

I'd like to address your second paragraph. As I've said answering another question, it's always difficult to speculate about that which could have been, an exercise that I'm not specially fond of. However, there are many dishes that could have been done 200 years ago and even more!
Ferran Adrià
elBulli