Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

An Ideal Negroni

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#241 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

If the Campari and dry vermouth are at hand, you're a bottle of rye whiskey away from an Old Pal, or a bottle of tequila away from a Jalisco Stroll, either of which is worth trying.

Sticking with gin/Campari combinations, if you could find St. Germain you could make a Bitter Elder, or with Cointreau a Robert Hess Jasmine. If you like grapefruity flavors you'll likely enjoy either of those.

But you might just keep tinkering with the Negroni too. Are there vermouths one shelf up from what you have that might be worth trying out?

... or a bottle of Suze away from a White Negroni (with the dry vermouth).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#242 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,853 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

Phil Ward's Cornwall Negroni: A really excellent drink, heavier on the gin to make up for a little lighter on the modifiers, but it works just fine. The sweet vermouth in this version was most likely M & R or Antica, its sweetness tamed by not being an ounce.

Created by Phillip Ward, Pegu Club, New York, 2005.

2 ounces Beefeater gin

1/2 ounce Campari

1/2 ounce Punt e Mes

1/2 ounce sweet vermouth

2 dashes orange bitters

1 orange twist, as garnish

Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Add the garnish.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#243 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 AM

"Sticking with gin/Campari combinations, if you could find St. Germain you could make a Bitter Elder, or with Cointreau a Robert Hess Jasmine. If you like grapefruity flavors you'll likely enjoy either of those."

Craig, Thank you.  I LOVE grapefruit but can't have it because of bp medications so the Robert Hess sounds perfect for me.

The mixer section of my local liquor store is SO SMALL I have no hope of finding anything like Punt e Mes or Frenet  (sp?) or anything at all out of the ordinary.  But I do have a large collection of liquor and I like branching out with new drinks.

I'll look for elderflower next time I stop in but can't get my hopes up.

Edited by lindag, Yesterday, 06:28 AM.

#244 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,165 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:03 AM

I've heard that some people go 1/2 and 1/2 with sweet and dry vermouth.

Before I found a good replacement for M&R, I made a few drinks with half M&R and half dolin vermouth blanc (which was in the fridge left over from something or other). I don't know anything about vermouth blanc but it tastes pretty good. The resulting Negroni was fine if a bit pale looking and mild.

And apropos of nothing, last week I had my first boulevardier, made with makers. That's a nice drink ... maybe should have its own thread.

#245 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,853 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:06 AM

And apropos of nothing, last week I had my first boulevardier, made with makers. That's a nice drink ... maybe should have its own thread.

An excellent cocktail, in that family of Old Pal, 1794, New Friend, etc.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#246 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,324 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 AM

It already does. ;)

Edited by FrogPrincesse, Yesterday, 10:04 AM.

• paulraphael likes this

#247 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:37 AM

I've been drinking a lot of Brown Bombers lately.  (from the PDT Cocktail book)

2 oz George Dickel Tenessee whiskey (I've just been using bourbon, however)

0.75 oz Lillet

0.5 oz Suze

A good example of a drink where the sum is more than its parts, and the key to this one is in the ratios.  Everything is in perfect harmony.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#248 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,069 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:33 PM

"Sticking with gin/Campari combinations, if you could find St. Germain you could make a Bitter Elder, or with Cointreau a Robert Hess Jasmine. If you like grapefruity flavors you'll likely enjoy either of those."

Craig, Thank you.  I LOVE grapefruit but can't have it because of bp medications so the Robert Hess sounds perfect for me.

The mixer section of my local liquor store is SO SMALL I have no hope of finding anything like Punt e Mes or Frenet  (sp?) or anything at all out of the ordinary.  But I do have a large collection of liquor and I like branching out with new drinks.

I'll look for elderflower next time I stop in but can't get my hopes up.

Neither drink actually has grapefruit in it.

There are a number of elderflower liqueurs on the market now. It was all the rage, then was overused and fell out of favor, but now is seeing a little comeback I think. It is still a great flavor if you weren't overexposed to it. It is not floral at all -- more like lychee.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#249 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,165 posts

Posted Today, 07:39 AM

Here are some standard variations I dug up:

Camparinette: 1oz gin, 3/4 oz Campari, 3/4oz sweet vermouth (similar to the gin-heavy versions we've been talking about)
Negroni Sbagliato: replace vermouth with prosecco
Boulevardier: replace gin with bourbon (predates 1st known negroni) 
Old Pal: rye, dry vermouth, campari (predates 1st known negroni) 
Kingston Negroni / Man About Town: replace gin with Jamaican rum
Agavoni: replace gin with Tequila Blanca
Negroski: replace gin with vodka (emergencies only)