Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

An Ideal Negroni

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#271 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:15 PM

Is it scandalous that I just made frozen Negronis in the blender? I added a bit of honey and a tiny bit of salt. 

It's hot and muggy today, and they were insanely refreshing ... maybe worth getting kicked off the island for.

Campari mixed into lemon gelato is very refreshing. Even better, mix up a batch and then swirl it into some unmixed lemon.

• paulraphael, ChrisTaylor and Rafa like this
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#272 blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin
  • participating member
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

The Negroni popsicles are very refreshing.  At first, they seemed more grapefruit-y than Negroni-y so I mixed up a Negroni for a side-by-side comparison. 

I forgot to get out a plate for the popsicle so they didn't stay side-by side for long:

negroni_pop.jpg

Indeed, they do have a nice Negroni flavor.

More research may be necessary :laugh:

• Anna N, paulraphael and Rafa like this

#273 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

The popsicle-in-a-cocktail-glass is a great presentation.

Can't wait to try this.

#274 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:19 AM

I made Negroni sorbet yesterday. It was pretty good. Soft, as you might expect, even though I reduced the sugars to about 13%.

I changed the ratio to 1: 1.5 : 2 gin/vermouth/campari, since the gin probably offers more alcohol than flavor in this case.

To boost gin flavors I infused a bit of thyme, clove, coriander, cardamom, and black pepper, and added a bit of lemon.

In the future I'll eliminate the gin and try to infuse a better set of botanicals. Juniper berry of course, and citrus zest, and whatever else seems good.

Anyway, as you can probably imagine, it's hard to go wrong with these flavors in a sorbet on a summer day.

• haresfur likes this