Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Bulgogi & Kalbi Topic

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#31 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:36 PM

A more traditional Bulgogi prep tonight:

Posted Image

Bulgogi with Cucumber Kimchi, Jap Chae Noodles, Mungbean Pancakes and Chicken Rice.

Sorry for the out of focus photo...
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#32 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,339 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 07:10 PM

To me, it's best by far when cooked over some sort of flame.

Depending on where I happen to be living, and what sort of 'flame' I've got handiest access to, my 'stand by' method is to take a flank steak, score it pretty heavily on both sides, slice it across the grain into strips about 3/4" wide, marinate it for several hours, and then grill it on the Weber, or gas grill, or whatever other source of flame is available.

When I can't do that, I'll slice it thinly and either broil it or fry it up in a skillet, but that sure isn't my first choice.

#33 jschyun

jschyun
  • participating member
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 09:16 PM

Bulgogi with Cucumber Kimchi, Jap Chae Noodles, Mungbean Pancakes and Chicken Rice.
Sorry for the out of focus photo...

View Post

Dang, you really are Korean. But what is chicken rice? You should be eating plain rice or rice mixed with grains or beans and stuff like that, to be truly one with your people.
I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.
--NeroW

#34 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 09:19 PM

Rice cooked with a bit of chicken stock in it. Its that extra bit of Malaysian or Hainanese in me that I can't get rid of, like that bit of Humanity that Mr. Spock has.
Jason Perlow

#35 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:44 AM

even out of focus it still looks great!! :biggrin:

I was thinking about your bulgogi dinner as I was on my third plate of peel and eat shrimp..... :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#36 chefzadi

chefzadi
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:53 PM

I think Hawaii has a lot more second and third generation Koreans than we do here on the East Coast - Your method does sound very interesting though, I probably want to try it that way sometime.
EDIT: I just realized you live in England... You probably don't even HAVE Korean butchers there, lol.

View Post

Actually a topic I'm very interested in is how foods evolve through first- second- and third-generation permutations. My Korean grandmother, for example, left Korea when she was only 16 but lived in the Korean community all her life (first in Honolulu, later in LA, but long before Koreatown). She never even really learned to speak more than pidgin English. Yet her cooking, though pure Korean in every sense, would have been quite different from modern cooking in Korea today. Tastes there evolved from her time; and of course she had access to different ingredients. But she was always fiercely proud of doing things the right way. She and her friends campaigned for Korean independence and she liked to recall that she once cooked tubu tchigae for Syngman Rhee. The strong armed autoritarian and first President of the Republic of Korea, so she always claimed, sighed in ectsasy and said that hardly anyone could still cook the old traditional foods like she did.

Here's another more radical bulgogi varation.

Marc

PS You're quite right, Jason, no Korean butchers down here in Devon!

View Post

Interesting question. Not only do tastes evolve over time so does the availabilty of ingredients. My wife came to the State in the mid- 70's just at the beginning of the mad Korean immigration rush. There was only one Korean market in LA called Kal's or something, she thinks it was on Western Blvd. And a couple of Chinese-Korean restaurants. Anyway her mother made everything from scratch even the Jangs (Dwen Jang, Kochujang, Kanjang), Big urns in the backyard. Now in K-town in Los Angeles is huge. It's like a mini Seoul. Anyway, my wife has been back to Korea alot of times (over a hundred) over the years. She remembers the first time she went back in to Seoul 1978, she felt like she was going to starve. There was enough to eat but not much variety. Her parents had to go to a special store for her just to get cow's milk. She says the food situation in terms of availability of raw ingredients. prepared foods and number of restaurants started to change dramatically right before the Olympics in Korea and that every year it just got better and better. The Korean food we eat now is a thousand times more plentiful than what it used to be. It's changed alot.

My wife gets all of her homemade jangs from her mother. She's a fantastic cook and could easily learn how to make them. But it's doubtful that she ever will. We just don't use enough of it to make it worthwhile. Another related point is that language changes. When my wife's family left Korea they were still using a lot of Japanese loan words such as dahmanegi for yang pah. Apparently there was a campaign in Korea to "clean" out Japanese words. I don't know what my kids will be cooking at home when they are older, no doubt there versions of Korean, Algerian and French food.

Oh yeah. At home I prefer my bulgogi cooked in a pan. Gotta have those pan juices. That domed shaped thing is just too hard to clean.

Edited by chefzadi, 15 January 2005 - 05:55 PM.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts
Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles
http://ecolecuisine.com

#37 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:39 PM

Bulgogi and rice almost as good as bacon and rice.

I use a marinade recipe very similar to the one posted and its very good. I fact I made it tonight for the Karbi dinner my son has been requesting all week. The grill is out of storage and we are going to the first test drive tomorrow. As I was making the marinade, I thought about my favor karbi which is at Woo Lea Oak (a chain). Their ribs taste different both in the cut and in the marinade. Anyone have their recipe?

Soup

#38 touaregsand

touaregsand
  • legacy participant
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:55 PM

But for home cooking (admittedly third-generation Korean American homestyle, but hey, this is how Halmoni, who came over to Hawaii as a 16 year old picture bride in the 1920s, always did it), I never ever use thinly sliced meat. Cut is (British) rump or sirloin or ribeye with plenty of fat and marbling (my mother used to get damn good results with chuck, believe it or not). What we do is slash the steak deeply in a diamond pattern, not all the way through, but nearly. Then pound with a meat hammer to open the piece up so that's its almost lacey but so you can still pick up the piece of meat with tongs. Then massage in that marinade lovingly (the smell of pungent garlic and ginger and soy and scallions and toasted sesame seeds is irresistable - so why resist? I always nibble on some raw marinaded beef while I'm doing this, for this is but a variation of yukhoe after all). Then cook over hot charcoal or in the pan, as is your wont, and serve with the aforementioned mountain of hot steamed white rice.

This is how my parents did it at home when we were still in living in Seoul. They didn't use a hammer, they used the back of a knife instead. And like Marco I snuck pieces of raw meat.

When we moved to Los Angeles in 1975 there was only one semi-Korean market on Western Blvd. The thin cut bulgogi wasn't widely available to the consumer untill a few years later. Up untill then it was really a restaurant cut. So Marco Polo's halmuni's methods were still the homestyle way not that long ago.

Edited by touaregsand, 21 April 2005 - 08:40 PM.

#39 touaregsand

touaregsand
  • legacy participant
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

Bulgogi and rice almost as good as bacon and rice.

I use a marinade recipe very similar to the one posted and its very good.  I fact I made it tonight for the Karbi dinner my son has been requesting all week.  The grill is out of storage and we are going to the first test drive tomorrow.  As I was making the marinade, I thought about my favor karbi which is at Woo Lea Oak (a chain).  Their ribs taste different both in the cut and in the marinade.  Anyone have their recipe?

Soup

View Post

I like to keep it simple, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic and freshly ground black pepper.

Possible traditional additions include:
Scallions
Sesame seeds
Ginger
Grated Korean pear
Finely grated toasted walnuts
Sweet onions (sliced or grated)
Honey

Nouvelle additions:
Jalapeno pepper
Sriracha
Coca Cola or 7 up
Worchestire sauce
Coffee

There's more, this if off the top of my head.

#40 Gastro888

Gastro888
  • participating member
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

So how does one prevent the kal bi from burning on the grill due to the sugar in the marinade? Do you just drain it? Wash it off? (The horror!)

Someone please help - this has always been my Waterloo!

#41 touaregsand

touaregsand
  • legacy participant
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:43 PM

So how does one prevent the kal bi from burning on the grill due to the sugar in the marinade?  Do you just drain it?  Wash it off?  (The horror!)

Someone please help - this has always been my Waterloo!

View Post

What kind of grill are you using?

My parents use a gas grill. And they just scrub it with a steal brush when the sugars in the marinade start to burn and stick to the grill. Or they grill in one of those electric grills from Korea. Even this has to be wiped clean during the cooking/eating process. At Korean restaurants it's not uncommon for the waitress to change grills during dining when it starts to get crusted with the marinade.

All this is to say, that in the over 3 decades I've been eating Korean bbq there is no solution to your waterloo.

#42 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:25 PM

Last night I was watching a Japanese tv program called "Sekai Maru Mie Terebi" this is a program that shows different (normally human interest) tv shows from all over the world.
One of the spotlights was a Korean gourmet program all about beef in Korea, they showed various BBQ restaurants from all over Korea specializing in various grilled beef dishes. The most interesting segment was when they showed people grilling the beef (kalbi with the bone) outside in the snow. They would grill the meat, then toss it into the snow, pack it in for a moment or two and then retreive it and grill it again before eating. They said this made it very tender :huh:

Has anyone ever heard of this?
does it really make it tender?

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#43 touaregsand

touaregsand
  • legacy participant
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:34 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I had never heard of this. I had to call my parents to ask. I'll quote my mom "such a thing cannot exist. It's a joke made up by someone. Sounds like a new gimmick."

#44 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

Tonight I made Korean Barbecue to document for Off The Broiler.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Jason Perlow

#45 melonpan

melonpan
  • participating member
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

looks proper! looks positively delish!
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

#46 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, I think for a roundeye I do it okay.
Jason Perlow

#47 jschyun

jschyun
  • participating member
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

Where the hell is the rice?

--the galbi looks good but i need to see rice before salivation kicks in. great, now i'm hungry again. spinach looks good

Edited by jschyun, 26 April 2006 - 06:21 PM.

--NeroW

#48 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

It's on the side, there wasn't room on the plate. I didn't photograph it. It was also not white short grain rice, it was leftover latino-style seasoned yellow rice that we made over the weekend to go with some pork chops. We make a lot of rice dishes in this house.

Edited by Jason Perlow, 26 April 2006 - 06:23 PM.

Jason Perlow

#49 jschyun

jschyun
  • participating member
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:26 PM

i was just kidding. is the packaged ssamjang decent? I don't recall the last time i had any.
--NeroW

#50 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

i was just kidding.  is the packaged ssamjang decent?  I don't recall the last time i had any.

View Post

Yeah it was actually pretty good. The problem is that Han Ah Reum has like 20 brands of that stuff, and they all look kinda similar, I can't read or understand Hangul, so I narrowed it down to the small containers, where there was like six brands I could choose from. I picked the one with the least amount of additives (written in English by the import company) in it. I showed it to a Korean lady in the aisle shopping with me and asked her which one was good and she said the one I was holding, so I went with that.
Jason Perlow

#51 ZenKimchi

ZenKimchi
  • participating member
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:11 AM

It's the same brand of SsamJang I have in my fridge in Korea. I love the stuff. I sometimes eat it straight out of the bin with my finger like peanut butter.
<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

#52 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:41 PM

These recent pictures by Jason have made me really hungry for kalbi!
So I picked some up and we will be BBQ'ing them for lunch today along with some freshly made keilbasa.... :huh:

pictures to come!

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#53 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:56 PM

I grilled some Daegi Garbi (pork spare ribs) on the grill using the Kochu Jang sauce tonight. The sauce was good (the part that I didn't burn, I got a bit agressive with the heat). I cooked it and the flavor was good but the meat took a bit of work too get off the bone. Has anyone tried the slow and low method used in american BBQ w/ the korean sauce? Most koreans seem to grill in stead of BBQ.

#54 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

I grilled some Daegi Garbi (pork spare ribs) on the grill using the Kochu Jang sauce tonight.  The sauce was good (the part that I didn't burn, I got a bit agressive with the heat).  I cooked it and the flavor was good but the meat took a bit of work too get off the bone.  Has anyone tried the slow and low method used in american BBQ w/ the korean sauce?  Most koreans seem to grill in stead of BBQ.

View Post

Can you share the recipe?
I was going to make some kochujang flavored pork belly for a BBQ party we are having next weekend. The recipe I used last time was ok but I am looking for something better.

Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#55 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

Here is the recipe I use and the family seems to like it.

The sauce is for 3 LBS of pork spare ribs.

2 TBL of kochu jang
1 TBL of Soy Sauce
1 TBL of Seseme oil
1 TBL of cooking wine
1 TBL of Honey (could use sugar but I like the taste of honey)
1 tsp of red pepper powder (I skip if kids are eating)
3 cloves of garlic diced fine
1 inch of ginger finely ground
some fresh BLK pepper
hand full of dices green onion

zip lock bag is my fav implement for marinating. I put it all in and marinate for about a hour. I've done over night and also few days. I like about an hour. I also like to score the ribs a bit but only if they are thick and meaty.

Good luck.

#56 ZenKimchi

ZenKimchi
  • participating member
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

I grilled some Daegi Garbi (pork spare ribs) on the grill using the Kochu Jang sauce tonight.  The sauce was good (the part that I didn't burn, I got a bit agressive with the heat).  I cooked it and the flavor was good but the meat took a bit of work too get off the bone.  Has anyone tried the slow and low method used in american BBQ w/ the korean sauce?  Most koreans seem to grill in stead of BBQ.

View Post

Can you share the recipe?
I was going to make some kochujang flavored pork belly for a BBQ party we are having next weekend. The recipe I used last time was ok but I am looking for something better.

View Post

Someone correct me, please. I think the slow American method uses a rub during the cooking process, and the sauce (if there is any) comes on at the end or as a condiment. My guess is that it'd be darn good.

Also, if you're just doing pork belly, I've eaten, bought, and made gochujang samgyeopsal with just gochujang or ssamjang smothered on it. The trick is to avoid flare ups, which is hard because of the fat. Samgyeopsal over charcoal is one of the more dangerous restaurant foods. I pan fry my samgyeopsal at home. If you're concerned about flare ups, how about doing them in a pan on the grill? Also do a kimchi jjigae or dwinjang jjigae on the grill.

Soup's marinade sounds great.

Ack! I guess it's time to eat breakfast, huh.

Edited by ZenKimchi, 29 April 2006 - 06:05 PM.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

#57 jschyun

jschyun
  • participating member
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:12 PM

That's nasty, Zen.

View Post

I've done that before. I dont' use my fingers though.
--NeroW

#58 nakji

nakji
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

Just before I left, the latest rage in Samgyeobsal restaurants was to use a slanted flat stone to cook the meat. The pork fat would run to the bottom, where canny diners such as myself would lay strips of kimchi or mushrooms, garlic, etc. The kimchi cooks up incredibly in the pork fat (what doesn't?), and tastes ....divine. The highest culinary elevation of kimchi, for me.

Now I'm dreaming of Samgyeobsal...in Hanoi! Drat!

#59 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

The kimchi cooks up incredibly in the pork fat (what doesn't?), and tastes ....divine. The highest culinary elevation of kimchi, for me.

Now I'm dreaming of Samgyeobsal...in Hanoi! Drat!

View Post

Pork fat is by far the best (although I've never used duck fat) to stir fry kimchi (kimchi bokum).

As for Samgyeobsal, I love it it all its forms. I love it when the edges get slightly burnt and crisp. I wish is wasn't sooo bad for you.

As for dreaming of korean food in hanoi, it can't be all that bad. Vietnamease food is fantastic!!!

#60 Renn

Renn
  • participating member
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:10 AM

Does anyone know how to cut kal bi? I'm no so interested in the "LA cut" done across the ribs, since they're readily available from most markets in that form. What I'm trying to figure out is how to make the beautiful roll cut Kal Bi that I see from time to time. It's basically a long sheet of the short rib with a single bone attached.

I've played with zig zag butterfly cuts, but looking at the grain structure, I don't think I'm on the right path.

Can anyone tell me the secret?

Edited by Renn, 02 July 2008 - 10:11 AM.