Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Eggnog – Recipes, Ingredients, Styles, etc.

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2009/egg-nog/

Makes a little bit less than a 750ml. It's even better after a day or more in the fridge. And it's easy - no eggs to separate, nothing to whisk - just blend the ingredients in order, and pour into an empty bottle. Done.
I'd seen the recipe back when it was first posted, but never made it. I recently had it at a friend's house and was blown away. It's really delicious.

Should you need to scale it up in future years, there's a much bigger batch on the small screen network.

#122 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

And you know what, watch the video here: http://www.smallscre...method-egg-nog/
It's worth it just to see how easy it is.

#123 eldereno

eldereno
  • society donor
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I like Turkey Hill Brand of eggnog as well......if store bought. I love having eggnog available at this time of year. Looking forward to some homemade eggnog at my friend's house on Christmas Eve.
I do remember, as a child, being excited when my dad blended up raw eggs, vanilla, sugar, milk and maybe some spices in a blender and calling it eggnog! I do recall the somewhat slimy nature of it but it still tasted good. Haven't tried doing this as an adult, though.
Donna

#124 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Agree that the Turkey Hill is surprisingly good for store bought. Whole Foods has a brand in glass bottles that was really good, but don't remember the name.

I've been making homemade in the blender with raw but washed, free range eggs. 4 eggs, 1 cup cream, 2 cups milk, splash of brandy or rum (my men folks don't like booze in their nogs, the big sillies), 1/2 t vanilla, couple scrapes of nutmeg, 1/3-1/2 cup sugar. Blend well, then chill. Stir or reblend when serving, top up with choice of booze and a bit more nutmeg. I'm very pleased by the taste and texture. I'd like a bit more alcohol in it, both for taste and to make me happier about the raw eggs, but no reason YOU couldn't add it.

#125 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Makes a little bit less than a 750ml. It's even better after a day or more in the fridge. And it's easy - no eggs to separate, nothing to whisk - just blend the ingredients in order, and pour into an empty bottle. Done.
I'd seen the recipe back when it was first posted, but never made it. I recently had it at a friend's house and was blown away. It's really delicious.

Should you need to scale it up in future years, there's a much bigger batch on the small screen network.

Thanks! That is the one I wound up making. It's sitting in the fridge right now. I want to to age at least a day.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#126 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 912 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

A user just posted this single serving egg nog. It's really a flip, but, well, close enough. It calls for Snap, but I bet you could use another ginger liqueur and perhaps some Pimento Dram or something. (I'm not buying Snap until I find a use for the 720ml of Root that I have. ;) )
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#127 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

A user just posted this single serving egg nog. It's really a flip, but, well, close enough. It calls for Snap, but I bet you could use another ginger liqueur and perhaps some Pimento Dram or something. (I'm not buying Snap until I find a use for the 720ml of Root that I have. ;) )

The Root isn't bad in a Hot Buttered Sailor, a drink a made for the winter menu at Oyster House a couple of years ago.

1.75 oz. Sailor Jerry Rum
.75 oz. Root
.50 oz. Grand Marnier
.5 oz. (heaping spoonful) Brown Sugar 5 Spice Butter*

Add all to a mug. Top with simmering water. Stir.

*Brown Sugar 5 Spice butter

Whip two softened sticks of butter with 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate to re-solidify. Use by the heaping teaspoon.

Perfect thing for a night like tonight...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#128 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks! That is the one I wound up making. It's sitting in the fridge right now. I want to to age at least a day.

This came out pretty well. Has all the right flavor without the heaviness and richness of a more common eggnog. Of course, the problem with that is I like the richness and some heaviness in an egg nog. Not as thick as you get in a common commercial brand, but I think I really prefer a home made cooked custard style better.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#129 Creola

Creola
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

food 013.JPG This is a cooked eggnog, heat 3c cream , 3c milk and 1/2c sugar, temper in 4 egg yolks stirring. Add 4 stiffly beaten and sugared egg whites in mounds and gently stir while pouring by ladle the liquid over the meringue to cook whites. Add more sugar if needed and vanilla. We add whiskey to the mug as desired and or nutmeg.

#130 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I used Morganthaler's recipe and used Spiced Myers's and Oloroso Sherry.

Very popular.

Manning the Bar
A Cocktail Blog

#131 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Has anyone though about just melting a gallon of supermarket ice cream, adding some eggs and burbon, and mixing it in the blender? You could foam it before serving in a french press. Already has the guar gum and vanilla extract in there and the milk and cream in similar proportions.

In the 70s there was a big fad for making Tom & Jerrys from a homemade mix that was kept in the freezer, based on ice cream, eggs, brown sugar and spices.

Broguiere's Dairy in Montebello, CA makes their eggnog with eggnog ice cream and actually demonstrated this process on the PBS Huell Howser show a few years ago. There is nothing else like it in commercial eggnog.
I know people who live north of me, near Bishop, who will drive all the way down to Montebello in mid-December to buy a couple of cases of the stuff (still in glass bottles) because it is so good.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#132 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

There are about as many eggnog threads on eGullet as there are styles of eggnog, but here is what I tried tonight for a sherry version:

1/2 oz Pusser's navy rum

1/2 oz Laird's 7 1/2 year apple brandy

1 oz Tio Pepe

1 whole egg (small)

1 oz heavy cream

2 dashes ground cinnamon

2 dashes Angostura

Shaken, double strained, with garnish of grated nutmeg.  Served in a solid nineteenth century goblet.

My inspiration was this recipe from Andrew Willett for nineteenth century Baltimore Eggnog:

http://elementalmixo...nog-recipe1.jpg

Except I couldn't very well call my version "Baltimore Eggnog", as lacking verdelho, I had to make do with sherry.  I do have some nineteenth century malmsey on hand for emergencies but I feared malmsey would make the recipe a bit too rich.

Even so this eggnog is very nice, and something I would make again.  Hopefully next time with verdelho.