Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Brown Poultry Stock

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scott123

scott123
  • participating member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:40 PM

I have observed unroasted 'white' poultry stock taking on more and more color as I simmer it. This coloring seems to accelerate during the final reduction phase.

This 'coloring' is the production of maillard compounds, is it not? At 212 degrees?

In fact, I have taking a white chicken stock, reduced it, added water, reduced it again, added water and then compared that against a roasted chicken stock. To my palate, the flavors formed were exceedingly similar between the concentrated simmered stock and the roasted poultry version. If these are maillard compounds being formed, is it possible that roasting and prolong concentrated simmering could produce the same compounds?

#2 Harold McGee

Harold McGee
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:04 PM

Excellent observation and experiment! Yes, we normally think of browning reactions as a high-temp, dry process, but when the amino acids and sugars are sufficiently concentrated—or the cooking time long enough—they occur at sub-boiling temperatures and in liquids. Another example is the wort—the boiled extract of malt and grains—in beer making. And the white of eggs turns tan when simmered very gently for hours (Middle eastern beid hamin) thanks to the protein and a trace of glucose.