Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chartreuse and Cocktails with Chartreuse

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#61 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

I posted this one elsewhere, but since it has Chartreuse, I'll throw it in again:

2 Applejack
3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 lemon juice
1/2 simple
dash Peychaud's
1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

This was an experiment to see how egg yolk works in a cocktail. The Yellow Chartreuse was that last thing I thought to put in (after several iterations). It adds a great amount of complexity to an otherwise straight-forward flavor profile.

View Post

I have all of that at home. Except my Chartreuse is green one, not yellow. Do you think it would work OK with the green? (the egg yolk is an interesting twist. I know that whites in sours is "common")

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#62 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

[quote name='Troy Sidle' date='Feb 23 2008, 04:40 PM']
I posted this one elsewhere, but since it has Chartreuse, I'll throw it in again:

2 Applejack
3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 lemon juice
1/2 simple
dash Peychaud's
1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

This was an experiment to see how egg yolk works in a cocktail. The Yellow Chartreuse was that last thing I thought to put in (after several iterations). It adds a great amount of complexity to an otherwise straight-forward flavor profile.

View Post

[/quote

Sounds wicked, you got a name for it yet?]

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#63 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

2 Applejack
3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 lemon juice
1/2 simple
dash Peychaud's
1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

View Post

I have all of that at home. Except my Chartreuse is green one, not yellow. Do you think it would work OK with the green? (the egg yolk is an interesting twist. I know that whites in sours is "common")

View Post

Green is significantly more intense, so if you give it a try and don't like it, don't rule it, just grab some yellow and try again. Also, with the green you may want to reduce the chartreuse slightly.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#64 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

2 Applejack
3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 lemon juice
1/2 simple
dash Peychaud's
1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

View Post

View Post

Green is significantly more intense, so if you give it a try and don't like it, don't rule it, just grab some yellow and try again. Also, with the green you may want to reduce the chartreuse slightly.

View Post

thanks for the tip. I am new to Chartreuse , and so far have only used it to make The Last Word (really, the reason I picked up a bottle). I was watching Alberta Straub's video podcast, and she had a drink that used Chartreuse with whiskey. Called the Tipperary. Could be a winner for St. Patrick's day.

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#65 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

2 Applejack
3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 lemon juice
1/2 simple
dash Peychaud's
1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

View Post

View Post

View Post

thanks for the tip. I am new to Chartreuse , and so far have only used it to make The Last Word (really, the reason I picked up a bottle). I was watching Alberta Straub's video podcast, and she had a drink that used Chartreuse with whiskey. Called the Tipperary. Could be a winner for St. Patrick's day.

View Post

Tipperary is a pretty decent drink, donno how Ms. Straub makes them, but I like them as such: 2 oz Irish whiskey, 1 oz or a little less of red vermouth, stir and strain into glass rinsed with Chartreuse. I think this is from Joy of Mixology. Some older recipes call for equal parts. No.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#66 Troy Sidle

Troy Sidle
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:48 AM

[quote name='Alchemist' date='Feb 24 2008, 10:29 AM']
[quote name='Troy Sidle' date='Feb 23 2008, 04:40 PM']

2 Applejack
3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 lemon juice
1/2 simple
dash Peychaud's
1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

View Post

[/quote

Sounds wicked, you got a name for it yet?]

View Post

[/quote]

It's called the I.D.T. But, it could end up being something like a Yellow Jacket.

Green Chartreuse is a whole different beast and I'm not sure it would really work for this cocktail.

Tonight I did play with the Green beast:

2 Jim Beam
3/4 lemon
1/2 simple
1/2 ginger syrup
1/4 Green Chartreuse
dash Peychaud's

S, S, Rocks, no garnish

This one shouldn't work. The ginger and Chartreuse should conflict. Instead they hit the pallet at different points. The ginger is apparent up front, but the Chartreuse trails off into the last moment of the sip.

Edited by Troy Sidle, 25 February 2008 - 05:49 AM.

#67 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

I'd drink that.

How is the Green Beast not too sweet with with ginger and simple syrups as well as G.C?

OOps I re-read the specs and now I understand.

Toby

Edited by Alchemist, 25 February 2008 - 04:39 PM.

#68 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:03 PM

2 Applejack
3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 lemon juice
1/2 simple
dash Peychaud's
1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

View Post

View Post

View Post

View Post

Tipperary is a pretty decent drink, donno how Ms. Straub makes them, but I like them as such: 2 oz Irish whiskey, 1 oz or a little less of red vermouth, stir and strain into glass rinsed with Chartreuse. I think this is from Joy of Mixology. Some older recipes call for equal parts. No.

View Post

just re-watched the podcast..

what she made was

1 1/2 ounce Irish Whiskey (Tillamore Dew )
3/4 ounce Chartreuse
splash Maraschino liqueur
dash of Regans Orange Bitters

stir. stain into cocktail glass. garnish with a lemon twist.

She mentioned there were other variations and said she would reveal them later in the program, but never did.

You can watch it here..

http://www.onnetwork...e-fly/tipperary

So, I am not sure if that is right or not. I don't have irish whiskey at home. But I do have scotch (JW Black) and some bourbon. Wonder how it would work using that instead of the Irish??

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#69 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:19 PM

I would go with the bourbon, the black might be a bit peaty. I would like to try this cocktail with Red Breast. Sounds wicked.

Edited while not drinking Green Charmoose.

Edited by Alchemist, 27 February 2008 - 06:18 AM.

#70 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

what she made was

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

stir. stain into cocktail glass.  garnish with a lemon twist.

View Post

The Tipperary from the Savoy (apparently via Hugo Ensslin) is as follows:

Tipperary Cocktail (No. 1)
1/3 Italian Vermouth.
1/3 Green Chartreuse.
1/3 Irish Whisky.
Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

How did Maraschino get subbed in for vermouth? Also, sounds overly sweet.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#71 plattetude

plattetude
  • participating member
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:37 AM

what she made was

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

stir. stain into cocktail glass.   garnish with a lemon twist.

View Post

1/3 Italian Vermouth.
1/3 Green Chartreuse.
1/3 Irish Whisky.

View Post

At those proportions, I'd say the "variation" sounds considerably drier than the Tipperary. It's only a splash of Maraschino, after all, and 2:1 on the whiskey to Chartreuse...

Christopher

#72 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

what she made was

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

View Post

1/3 Italian Vermouth.
1/3 Green Chartreuse.
1/3 Irish Whisky.

View Post

Don't really know. If you watch the video, you'll seee how she talks about varations. She suggests she will explain them all, but never does. Maybe we have to wait for a future episode??

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#73 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

what she made was

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

View Post

1/3 Italian Vermouth.
1/3 Green Chartreuse.
1/3 Irish Whisky.

View Post

At those proportions, I'd say the "variation" sounds considerably drier than the Tipperary. It's only a splash of Maraschino, after all, and 2:1 on the whiskey to Chartreuse...

Christopher

View Post

I guess I find the apparent sweetness of Maraschino to be far greater than that of Chartreuse, which to my palate adds richness faster than sweetness, if that makes any sense. Not necessarily related to actual sugar content I suppose, at least the way it's percieved. FWIW the original Tipperary also looks a bit over the top to me. I must confess to never having actually made it that way.

-Andy
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#74 comic4879

comic4879
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

There are two "obscure" choices that I sneak into most cocktails at my bar. Chartruese and Campari. Most people not in the know tend to run from these flavors- but I manage to sneak it in most of the time.

As we head toward Spring- I enjoy muddling grapefruit and cucumber then adding a squeeze of lime, housemade bitter infused simple syrup, Plymouth Gin & a splash of green chartreuse. Served up. Mmmmmm Delicious!

For winter- Try a simple but warming combination of Irish Whiskey and Green Chartuese. (3 parts, 1 part)

is it any good?  I bought it last week for it had such a great color.
Would love some help.
Thanks.

View Post

#75 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

I was recently reminded of Marco Dionysos' (aka cocktailgeek) Chartreuse Swizzle. A fine, fine drink, and far too easy to consume...

"Chartreuse Swizzle"

1 1/4 oz. Green Chartreuse
1 oz. pineapple juice
juice of a lime
1/2 oz. Velvet Falernum

Shake well with ice and strain into a collins glass over crushed ice. Garnish with lime wheel and wedge of pineapple.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#76 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

what she made was

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

View Post

1/3 Italian Vermouth.
1/3 Green Chartreuse.
1/3 Irish Whisky.

View Post

Christopher

View Post

I just made Alberta's version of the Tipperary.

I'm not really digging it. It does seem too sweet. my cocktails are sorta large, so I bumped up the amounts a tad. 2 ounces Irish whiskey (Jameson's) 1 ounce Chartreuse (green). splash Luxardo Maraschino. Dash Regan's Orange Bitters.

Maybe by splash of Maraschino was too much? I dunno. Tasting a lot of the Chartreuse here.

I'll give the Savoy version a whirl next.

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#77 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:04 AM

View Post

Try Mr. Regan's version, too. I don't always agree with the tinkering he does with recipes, but here it works very nicely indeed.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#78 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

View Post

Try Mr. Regan's version, too. I don't always agree with the tinkering he does with recipes, but here it works very nicely indeed.

View Post

do you have a recipe for it? It's not in my copy of "Joy of Mixology". In fact, there is no mention of Chartreuse any place in the book (it's not in the index)

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#79 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

A Scotsman named Harry finds the road to Tipperary

A recipe for the Tipperary cocktail can be found in a 1916 book called "Recipes for Mixed Drinks," by Hugo R. Ensslin, a bartender who worked at New York's Wallick Hotel, but an entirely different formula for a drink bearing the same name appears in "ABC of Mixing Cocktails," a 1922 book penned by Scotsman Harry McElhone who, at that time, worked at Ciro's Club in London. McElhone would go on to open Harry's New York Bar in Paris later in his career, and this is the spot where the Bloody Mary is said to have been created.

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#80 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:37 PM

The recipe is hidden in the text of post 65, up above, but there you go, Erik has the full article and everything.

As an aside, I know Joy has some Chartreuse drinks in it, the Alaska, for one. Could be the only one, though. Sorry about the mix-up.

ETA: Does anyone have McElhone's Tipperary recipe? Maybe that's where the Maraschino is coming from.

Edited by thirtyoneknots, 09 March 2008 - 01:40 PM.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#81 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

The recipe is hidden in the text of post 65, up above, but there you go, Erik has the full article and everything.

As an aside, I know Joy has some Chartreuse drinks in it, the Alaska, for one. Could be the only one, though. Sorry about the mix-up.

ETA: Does anyone have McElhone's Tipperary recipe? Maybe that's where the Maraschino is coming from.

View Post

ahh.. OK.. Thanks. I went back and found it

jmeeker@eGullet.org

#82 tikibars

tikibars
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

2 parts Calvados  (get a good and sturdy one)
1 part Benedictine
1 part Chartreuse
couple a dashes of Angostura

This is becoming a new favorite for me.
Sometimes I used Applejack instead of Calvados.

Any idea where this recipe comes from?

I was at velvet Tango Room in Cleveland on Tuesday, and they are going to add it to their new menu. I was surprised that the recipe that thay have is COMPLETELY different from this one.

Theirs calls for orange juice, Conitreau and other stuff (If I remember correctly... it was late...).
-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com
Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

#83 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

Any idea where this recipe comes from?

View Post

Imbibe! cites this from George Kappeler's 1895 Modern American Drinks.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#84 Mickael

Mickael
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:31 AM

Thought that i would share that one with you:

Green CSM - {Chartreuse Smoky Martini}

35 ml Green Chartreuse (chilled is better)
15 ml lillet Blanc
5 ml Peaty Islay malt

Stir till chilled and strain in a cold cocktail glass - Garnish white grapes.

http://projects.wash...2/06/green-csm/

I like also very much to play with the Elixir Vegetal, the small bottle containing green charteuse at the original 142 proof. Lovely wood packaging.
Cheers
www.BarNowOn.com

#85 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Champs Elysées variation from Zig Zag Cafe.

Posted Image

The cocktail was a little sweet and unidimensional. My husband detected "sour apple" notes which is not a good thing; we are usually Chartreuse fans.

I see that the original recipe from the Savoy cocktail book uses a lot more lemon juice, so I may have to give it another try.

#86 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

I tried "That Green Drink" from the summer issue of Imbibe magazine: gin, white vermouth, muddled cucumber, Chartreuse, lime juice, simple syrup.

Posted Image

Lots of things going on in that cocktail. Intensely aromatic with the interplay of Chartreuse and white vermouth (I used Dolin). Quite strong. May be better suited to the heat topped with club soda (or decrease the amount of Chartreuse a little). I kept thinking that a tequila version could work too.

#87 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Posted Image

The cocktail was a little sweet and unidimensional. My husband detected "sour apple" notes which is not a good thing; we are usually Chartreuse fans.

I see that the original recipe from the Savoy cocktail book uses a lot more lemon juice, so I may have to give it another try.

I had a Champs Elysées at Little Branch last night and it was masterful. Don't know the ratios or anything, but it was a knockout - perfect balance of all the ingredients.

#88 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

I had a Champs Elysées at Little Branch last night and it was masterful. Don't know the ratios or anything, but it was a knockout - perfect balance of all the ingredients.

That shows you how ratios are key... This is such a simple cocktail there is not much room for error. My cognac could also have been the culprit; it's Remy Martin vsop but it's not really that good for mixing.

It sounds like you had a fabulous time a Little Branch, I envy you!

#89 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, in my opinion it really is the best bar in the world. I also had a Last Word there that was like getting hit by a delicious herbal citrus icy bomb. I think I'm going to have to pony up the cash for a bottle of Chartreuse..

PS, Pouring Ribbons, also in New York, sells vintage Chartreuse by the ounce in tiny bottles (and hefty prices) - they have stuff going back decades.

#90 Van Stratten

Van Stratten
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

I make the Champs Elysées cocktail with yellow Chartreuse, not the green. I follow the ratio in the Savoy Cocktail Book almost exactly:

1.5 oz cognac
.75 oz sweetened lemon juice
.5 oz yellow Chartreuse
3 or 4 drops Angostura bitters

For the "sweetened lemon juice" I just eyeball about 3/4 of the measurement lemon juice, 1/4 simple syrup. I think it's one of the best cocktails out there. Works fine for me using Remy Martin VSOP.