Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chartreuse and Cocktails with Chartreuse

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#31 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:53 PM

Excellent. Now I know what I'm having before dinner.

Scotch after dinner of course, what with it being Burns' Night and all.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#32 fatdeko

fatdeko
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:58 PM

Trader's book is kinda special. It was the first cocktail book I ever bought and the one I cherish the most, despite it's seeming ubiquity on eBay. I was a freshman in college and a couple of us wandered into town for some "Daquiri Factory" and discovered a used book shop around the corner. While they hemmed and/or hawed over Rimbaud and Barthes, I more or less reached at the first book I saw, announcing "I'm getting this!"

I doubt I have anything else from that point in my life, aside from those Judas Priest records I can't explain, but I've always managed to keep that book.

There's something charming, puckish and Damn-I-wanna-buy-that-Rascal-a-beer about the prose and a lot of the preliminary essays are still great lessons for anyone about to get behind the stick.
Lessons, I'm afraid and sorry to say, no longer taught.
Like discretion. And how to answer the phone.

Myers

#33 birder53

birder53
  • participating member
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:23 PM

While down in New Orleans, Doc had Chris at the Ritz whip up a Widow's Kiss.  I'ts my new favorite last-one-of-the-night  and right-before-bed cocktail

2 parts Calvados  (get a good and sturdy one)
1 part Benedictine
1 part Chartreuse
couple a dashes of Angostura

Myers

View Post

Tried this last night. Very nice. :smile: Found another version of the recipe that called for yellow chartreuse, but I haven't found anyplace that carries it in NJ so far. The search is on!
KathyM

#34 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

Gary's latest SF Chron article features an interesting cocktail with Chartreuse just in time for St. Patrick's day: The Tipperary. It originally appeared in Hugo R. Ensslin's Recipes for Mixed Drinks as equal parts of Irish Whiskey, sweet vermouth and Green Chartreuse. cocktailDB has a version with slightly less vermouth and Chartreuse, but still a sweet drink.

Here is Gary's version, dried up a bit more for modern tastes:

Tipperary
2 oz : Irish whiskey
1 oz : sweet vermouth
rinse : Green Chartreuse

Coat the inside of a chilled cocktail the glass with Green Chartreuse, discarding excess. Stir whiskey and vermouth with ice and strain into prepared cocktail glass.

Cocktails like this are an interesting demonstration of how even just a touch of Chartreuse can change what is essentially an "Irish Manhattan" into something entirely different.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#35 phlip

phlip
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:10 AM

dig the tippery. gave it my own touch. call it the flippery.
2 oz. rye
half chartruese
half sweet vermouth
dash of orange biters
flame an orange twist

essentially a bijou with rye

also as yet unamed

2 oz. rye or gin
half of green chartruese
half punt a mezz
half sweet vermouth
dash of orange biters
flame an orange twist

the rinse idea seems a waste of good chartruese

#36 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:23 AM

Just to note that I paint my leg of spring lamb with green Chartreuse every 3 hours for a day before putting it on the rotisserie. You only have to use about 3 oz. to do this. I also like a simple Chartreuse and tonic from time to time.

#37 bpeikes

bpeikes
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

I was at a "Save New Orleans" cocktail fundraiser run by Gary Regan a couple of months ago and the bar had Chartreuse VEP on the shelf. We asked the bartender to make us a Sazarac, but using the VEP as a wash instead of Herbsaint. It was incredible.

I'm a big lover of Chartreuse in general, straight or in a cocktail. We've got a couple of bottles on the shelves at our shop, but at the price, we haven't popped one open ourselves, we'll just have a bit when we see places that have it open.

#38 ctgm

ctgm
  • participating member
  • 480 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:38 AM

I find that the Yellow is a lot easier to drink neat than the Green. The Green I like to add to hot chocloate.

The Elixir Vegetal is fantastic stuff but is expensive, even in 10cl bottles but at 71% alc you don't really need too much. The "instructions" to drink are quite similar to Absinthe but it is good neat.

I have a client who buys a lot and recently bought:

Chartreuse Verte (55%)
Chartreuse Jaune (40%)
Chartreuse Liqueur 9e Centenaire (47%)
Chartreuse 1605 (56%)
Elixir Vegetal de la Grande Chartreuse (71%)
Cassis (20%)
Mure Sauvage (21%)
Framboise (21%)
Myrtille (21%)
Gentiane Aperitif des Chartreux (17%)
VEP Verte (54%)
Chartreuse Episcopale (45%)
Genepi des Peres Chartreux (40%)
Genepi Extra Sec des Peres Chartreux (40%)

The 3 most favoured by him are the 1605, Liqueur 9e Centenaire and the Episcopale.

#39 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

a heavy green chartreuse cocktail is the Bijou (from the Paris Ritz I believe):

1 part gin
1 part green chartreuse
1 part sweet vermouth
a dash or so of orange bitters (Trader Joe's actually has an acceptable bottle of blood orange bitters for about $5)

another classic, if you have absinthe (or Pernod I guess) is:
the Biter:

2 gin
1 chartreuse
1 lemon juice
dash absinthe.

for someone who doesn't like sours as much as myself, a dash or so of simple syrup will do wonders for either of these.

#40 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

I see that no one has mentioned a Last Word.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#41 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:39 PM

I know I'm a little late to this wedding -- or funeral -- but I just got my first bottle of yellow Chartreuse. Decided to start with a Widow's Kiss using Laird's apple brandy instead of calvados.

It really is a remarkable drink; as fatdeko said, it's "haunting and familiar all at the same time." I might say it's sexy and sad at the same time, like the kiss of a depressed lover or, indeed, a widow.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#42 natter

natter
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:07 PM

I just made a nice dessert cocktail with

1 oz Mt. Gay extra old
1/4 oz Green chartreuse
1/4 oz Vallisoletano Xtabentum
stir and strain
squeeze of lime

#43 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

A bit late to this party:

Bijou Cocktail

1/3 Plymouth Gin (1 oz Plymouth Gin)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Bitter Truth Orange Bitters)
1/3 Green Chartreuse (1 oz Green Chartreuse)
1/3 Gancia Italian Vermouth (1 oz Carpano Antica Vermouth)

Mix well with a spoon in a large bar glass; strain into a cocktail glass, add a cherry or an olive, squeeze a piece of lemon peel on top and serve.

The Bijou has been on my list of cocktails to try for a while.  It's always exciting to get to a Savoy cocktail I actually want to make!

Tasty; but, a tad on the rich, sweet side for me.  When I make it again, I will probably go with 1/2 Gin, 1/4 Chartreuse, 1/4 Vermouth.

View Post

Despite Andy's warning to the contrary, I went with Erik's suggestion and made a 2:1:1 version, changed and upped the bitters (1 Regan's, 1 Fee's), but kept all other ingredients as he listed. I can see the possibilities of Boodle's here, but, boy, this is a remarkably great drink.

Edited to fix Andy's name (sorry!) -- CA

Edited by chrisamirault, 31 January 2008 - 05:21 AM.

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#44 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

Bijou Cocktail

Mix well with a spoon in a large bar glass; strain into a cocktail glass, add a cherry or an olive, squeeze a piece of lemon peel on top and serve.

The Bijou has been on my list of cocktails to try for a while.  It's always exciting to get to a Savoy cocktail I actually want to make!

Tasty; but, a tad on the rich, sweet side for me.  When I make it again, I will probably go with 1/2 Gin, 1/4 Chartreuse, 1/4 Vermouth.

View Post

Despite Andy's warning to the contrary, I went with Erik's suggestion and made a 2:1:1 version, changed and upped the bitters (1 Regan's, 1 Fee's), but kept all other ingredients as he listed. I can see the possibilities of Boodle's here, but, boy, this is a remarkably great drink.

View Post

As I mentioned upthread, I like Boodles in those and other rich drinks like Negronis. I should add here, that with a 2:1:1 ration I'm certain that your drink was delightful, but I dont think it's going to be quite like if you had made it equal parts. There's something about a lot of those rich equal parts drinks, Negroni included, that makes them taste different, often drastically different, when they are tweaked, even by as little as half an ounce in any direction. Yeah, it's a bit intense, but I'd recommend revisiting this, especially if you adore Chartreuse like I do.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#45 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:23 AM

I'll be trying the 1:1:1 ratios soon, as I adore Chartreuse, Carpano Antica, gin, and Negronis, too. It was just a bit too late to have a drink that required the use of a knife.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#46 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:05 AM

I've still never had Carpano Antica (doesn't seem to be distributed in Texas), but if it's even close to as rich as Punt e Mes, you may do better to use something less intense. Good ol' M&R or Cinzano should do the trick.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#47 Scotttos

Scotttos
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

Bijou Cocktail

View Post

Another nice twist is to sub in yellow chartreuse for green, dry vermouth for sweet. At that point it really isn't a bijou anymore but it's a pretty great drink.

When I first made a bjiou I mis-read the recipe and used dry vermouth. I made about a dozen of 'em that way before I went back and realized my mistake. It's obviously totally different without the sweet vermouth, haha, but still mighty tastey.

The green chartreuse comes on a bit strong when using dry vermouth (still delicious) but when you sub in the yellow the thing starts to sing.

I made it with equal parts.

1 oz Gin (plymouth)
1 oz Dry Vermouth (noilly prat)
1 oz Yellow Chartreuse
2 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters
Garnish: Lemon Twist
Stir/Strain

#48 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

Bijou Cocktail

View Post

Another nice twist is to sub in yellow chartreuse for green, dry vermouth for sweet. At that point it really isn't a bijou anymore but it's a pretty great drink.

When I first made a bjiou I mis-read the recipe and used dry vermouth. I made about a dozen of 'em that way before I went back and realized my mistake. It's obviously totally different without the sweet vermouth, haha, but still mighty tastey.

The green chartreuse comes on a bit strong when using dry vermouth (still delicious) but when you sub in the yellow the thing starts to sing.

I made it with equal parts.

1 oz Gin (plymouth)
1 oz Dry Vermouth (noilly prat)
1 oz Yellow Chartreuse
2 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters
Garnish: Lemon Twist
Stir/Strain

View Post

that looks like my style. gonna try that tonight.
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#49 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

Just got back from the liquor store. Picked up a bottle of green Chartreuse. I had a Last Word in San Francisco a few weeks ago, and I wanted to make them at home. I'll start with that and then try some of the others listed in this thread.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#50 tikibars

tikibars
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

Wanna pipe in that I love all of the various vintage Trader Vic's books; he did a few of 'em.

But back to Chartreuse -

Violet Hour in Chicago does a killer drink called Poor Liza with Chartreuse and pear brandy.
Absolutely amazing.

I caught Toby in a good mood one day, and he made me a Liza with the VEP Chartreuse (that's the $100/bottle stuff), and it was transcendant.

I have been trying to reverse engineer the Liza, and I think I am pretty close, but there is something about drinking them at VH...
-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com
Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

#51 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

The Poor Liza is an Poir Williams Champs d'Elysees. So it goes a little like this.

2 oz Poir Williams (Clear Creek)
1/2 Green Chartruse
3/4 lemon juice
1/4 simple syrup
3 dash Peychaud's bitters

Toby

Edited by Alchemist, 16 February 2008 - 09:01 PM.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#52 tikibars

tikibars
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

Ah, thanks for sharing that.

I had the ingredients right, but my ratios were still a little off.

I think I have to start trying to figure out the Hush and Wonder next (don't tell me, I wanna see if I can do it!).
-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com
Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

#53 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

OK, let me know how the experiments go. How about the Yellow Rose of Texas, that one has Yellow Chartreuse in it and has components that can be purchased in a liquor store.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#54 tikibars

tikibars
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

Thanks.

I have limes, grapefruit bitters, Matusalem, and Creme de Violette (Sams has it now, the same brand that VH has behind the bar), so I think I am off to a good start.
Might have to come in and do some research soon. :-)

I called that drink 'delicate' and Michel said "we prefer atmospheric".
-James

#55 tikibars

tikibars
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

While down in New Orleans, Doc had Chris at the Ritz whip up a Widow's Kiss.  I'ts my new favorite last-one-of-the-night and right-before-bed cocktail

2 parts Calvados  (get a good and sturdy one)
1 part Benedictine
1 part Chartreuse
couple a dashes of Angostura

Meyers

Mixed one of these up the other night too.

This is an intense drink!

Complex on the tongue, heavy, not for the feint of heart, (and expensive to make!)
-James

#56 c.reit

c.reit
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

Just got my first bottle of Green Chartreuse a couple weeks ago. My favorite so far is

1 1/2 gin(Beefeater)
1/2 turbinado syrup 1:1
1/2 lemon juice
1/2 Green Chartreuse
2 drops Angostura
lemon twist

#57 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

Just got my first bottle of Green Chartreuse a couple weeks ago.  My favorite so far is

1 1/2 gin(Beefeater)
   1/2 turbinado syrup 1:1
   1/2 lemon juice
   1/2 Green Chartreuse 
   2 drops Angostura
   lemon twist

View Post

Maybe a little less sugar and sub in absinthe for the bitters and you're pretty close to a Biter Cocktail.

Edit because the Biter calls for "lemon juice, slightly sweetened."

Edited by thirtyoneknots, 20 February 2008 - 09:47 PM.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#58 c.reit

c.reit
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

I'll definitely try the Biter the next time I pick up absinthe or pastis, it sounds really good. Eje's Savoy thread was why I first started reading this forum.:biggrin: I was kind
of trying to do something soft & approachable like a lemon drop, but with allot more going on flavor wise.

Just tried similar but with blanco tequila, a little less sugar, and a tsp. of maraschnno. It's definitely on the sweet side, but really tasty.

Edited by c.reit, 21 February 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#59 DCP

DCP
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:19 AM

Another decent beginner's introduction to Chartreuse, IMHO: 1.5 oz in ~8 oz ginger beer (something spicy, like Reed's Extra Ginger Brew), 3-4 dashes Angostura bitters on top. Quite sweet, but somehow complementary - adjust the amount of ginger beer to your taste. To the uninitiated we've foisted this on, yellow goes over very well as an introduction - but a good idea to try before green.
David aka "DCP"
Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

#60 Troy Sidle

Troy Sidle
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

I posted this one elsewhere, but since it has Chartreuse, I'll throw it in again:

2 Applejack
3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 lemon juice
1/2 simple
dash Peychaud's
1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

This was an experiment to see how egg yolk works in a cocktail. The Yellow Chartreuse was that last thing I thought to put in (after several iterations). It adds a great amount of complexity to an otherwise straight-forward flavor profile.