Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Nutella.......mmmm, Nutella

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#91 Quesmoy

Quesmoy
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

If the chocolate will help with the sweetness, then I think I'm going to have to buy me a jar to try.

#92 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

If the chocolate will help with the sweetness, then I think I'm going to have to buy me a jar to try.

Wait! With regard to chocolate tempering the overall sweetness, I was referring back to the what you said previously, about attempting one of the home made chocolate-hazelnut spreads, but omitting the chocolate (in which case, you would not be cutting back on the sweetness).

Nutella itself is crazy sweet (even the European versions, which are the only ones I generally have access to).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#93 naguere

naguere
  • participating member
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

Not being one for throwing food away I scraped the last vestiges of Nutella from the jar in my cupboard this spring.

Spread on a rye roll, it did taste pretty funky, but hey, waste not want not.

Reading the 'Best Before' on the label it said 2006.

I will call in at my local Lidl tomorrow to stock up :shock:

(It's true I tell ya)
Who cares how time progresses..

Today I am drinking ale.

(Edgar Allen Poe)

#94 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

I blame the rye roll, not the nutella, for the funkiness!
I have marmite of a similar age, but nutella does not last in this house.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#95 ChrisOC

ChrisOC
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

I see that Jiff came out with a chocolate hazelnut spread. Has anyone tried it?
Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

#96 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Serious eats didn't love them: http://sweets.seriou...ut-spreads.html

#97 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

I have half a jar of Nutella languishing in my cupboard. Do. Not. Like.

#98 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

There is nothing better in this galaxy than Nutella spread on a halved warm, plain buttery croissant.

NOTHING.

I gotta admit, I just don't get it ... Nutella just doesn't do anything for me. Now, a warm (not microwaved) buttery croissant with good
dulce de leche, that's somethin' else.

.... Shel

#99 orangeong2

orangeong2
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

i dip virtually ANYTHING into my nutella.. ahh seeing your posts makes me drool over my laptop..

#100 Cadbury

Cadbury
  • participating member
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

I prefer my Nutella with peanut butter on bread. The peanut butter helps with the sickly sweetness of the Nutella. Also not bad in a sandwich with a slab of vanilla ice-cream inside :0

#101 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Interesting, I remember how I used to love Nutella. Now I find it too sweet and much, much too greasy, which puts me off more than the sweetness. Funny how tastes change. I recently tried Trader Joe's almond spread and I liked that much better.

#102 Bill Klapp

Bill Klapp
  • participating member
  • 849 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:30 AM

I haven't read the thread linked above, which might mention it, but if you like nutella you'll like the gianduja spread made by Guido Gubbino imported by Zingerman's.

If you're one of the ones who does a jar or two of Nutella a year, it might be worth the splurge.

I was eating Nutella every day during a recent trip to Italy -- they provide it in the hotel breakfast rooms everywhere in a little packet much like jelly is served up here. Got quite addicted. But hated it when I got back home -- the imported version is pumped full of a lot more chemicals than the European version.

I recommend either buying it at an import store, or getting the primo stuff from Zingerman's. The difference is remarkable. You'll probably combust and leave burned shoes behind.

Lindacakes, that is Guido Gobbino, arguably Italy's best chocolatier, and his spread is not to be mentioned in the same breath (or price range!) with Nutella. Peyrano, another legendary Turin-based chocolatier, also makes a chocolate hazelnut spread that will cause spontaneous combustion...
Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

#103 Bill Klapp

Bill Klapp
  • participating member
  • 849 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

Nutella mixed with whipped cream makes an easy cake filling, and I also use it in a similar manner to flavour buttercream. It actually goes really well with carrot cakes, and apple/cinnamon cakes, where it is a complimentary flavour. When you pair it with chocolate it can become a bit of a sweetness overload.

I don't like eating nutella straight or as a spread though. I used to live by a market that had a chocolate stall that sold slabs of Callebaut gianduja by weight. My guilty pleasure was buying a block of a few hundred grams and biting it off in chunks...

Who makes "high-end" gianduja - is there an Amadei or Valrhona for gianduja? I ate a lot of the stuff in Perugia and thought it was delicious but I'm not sure who the manufacturer was.

Book a vacation to Turin, which is Italy's chocolate capital and the home of gianduja. You can sample dozens of high-end, artisanal types, as well as artisanal spreads...
Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

#104 Max101

Max101
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

I love nutella.  I eat it on crackers, rice cakes, and love it on apples.