Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Nutella.......mmmm, Nutella

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 Kris

Kris
  • participating member
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:23 PM

I just tried a recipe that I saw Giada DiLaurentiis make a few weeks back...

You put about a small dollop of Nutella in the middle of a wonton skin. Fold it over and fry until each side is lightly browned. Drain them on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar...YUMMY!

#62 cajungirl

cajungirl
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

I just tried a recipe that I saw Giada DiLaurentiis make a few weeks back...

You put about a small dollop of Nutella in the middle of a wonton skin.  Fold it over and fry until each side is lightly browned.  Drain them on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar...YUMMY!

View Post

Oh Yum!!! :raz:
Just a simple southern lady lost out west...

"Leave Mother in the fridge in a covered jar between bakes. No need to feed her." Jackal10

#63 gia

gia
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:04 PM

Kris, they are good!
My kids like nutella and peanut butter sandwiches.
I also spread it on poundcake slices, top with sliced strawberries, and grill on the panini grill. Awesome!

#64 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 897 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:36 AM

I haven't read the thread linked above, which might mention it, but if you like nutella you'll like the gianduja spread made by Guido Gubbino imported by Zingerman's.

If you're one of the ones who does a jar or two of Nutella a year, it might be worth the splurge.

I was eating Nutella every day during a recent trip to Italy -- they provide it in the hotel breakfast rooms everywhere in a little packet much like jelly is served up here. Got quite addicted. But hated it when I got back home -- the imported version is pumped full of a lot more chemicals than the European version.

I recommend either buying it at an import store, or getting the primo stuff from Zingerman's. The difference is remarkable. You'll probably combust and leave burned shoes behind.
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#65 aznsailorboi

aznsailorboi
  • participating member
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:22 PM

oooh i havnt seen anyone post a Bananas Foster with warm nutella sauce...ahhhhhhh :wub: melt half a stick of butter and two to three tablespoons of sugar, don't caramelize just melt together. add banana slices, three tablespoons of Nutella and a splash of Frangelico. As soon as all the Nutella melts away stir until well blended and pour over a generous serving of vanilla ice cream. and toss some hazelnut pralines on top..........omg heaven :wub:
...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

#66 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

This discussion deserves a bump, as I had Nutella on white bread as a snack a few minutes ago and it occurred to me that there might be other ways of eating the stuff. What else do you guys do with it?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#67 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

It's great on crêpes, with a little bit of whipped cream (bananas optional).

#68 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Cream, Nutella and a little sugar... whipped. Works nice with many things banana.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#69 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

OK. I don't understand the love of Nutella. I love Gianduja. Even in Milk Chocolate. Like many others who have confessed...I shaved it off the block to eat. I love nuts and chocolate together.

But Nutella?

DH and I tried it a couple of years ago and gave it away right away. I think it tastes pretty awful. Sorry.

Is there anyone else out there who doesn't like the taste?
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#70 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,783 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

We have discussed Nutella in Pastry & Baking before here and there was an extensive general Nutella discussion here

#71 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

On warm waffles - optionally dust with icing sugar (Bordeaux mobile vendor style), or top with whipped cream (don't look at me).

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

#72 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

OK. I don't understand the love of Nutella. I love Gianduja. Even in Milk Chocolate. Like many others who have confessed...I shaved it off the block to eat. I love nuts and chocolate together.

But Nutella?

DH and I tried it a couple of years ago and gave it away right away. I think it tastes pretty awful. Sorry.

Yeah, me. For the same reason I don't like peanut butter, the texture.
Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

#73 Mysstwalker

Mysstwalker
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

I love Nutella, but after gastric bypass, it doesnt love me except when my sugar is crashing, then its my buddy. I take a few tablespoons of Chocolate PB2 powder, mix in SF Hazelnut syrup and a bit of heavy cream, beat the devil out of it, and it is a pretty close cousin to Nutella. Of course, sometimes only the real thing will do and is worth feeling a bit wonky for awhile, so I utilize a spoon and a banana at that time lol.

#74 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

But Nutella?

Yeah, me. For the same reason I don't like peanut butter, the texture.

Me three. It's not all it's cracked up to be. My kids don't even like it.

#75 Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon
  • participating member
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

nutella ice cream,...FABULOUS!!!

#76 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

This discussion deserves a bump, as I had Nutella on white bread as a snack a few minutes ago and it occurred to me that there might be other ways of eating the stuff. What else do you guys do with it?

Spooned straight from the jar, while staring vacantly out the kitchen window, usually. Probably because I don't so much like it, as occasionally crave it, HARD. I wonder how common this is.

There's the Nutella on crepes/in croissants thing, but honestly, it usuallyneeds a tweak of some sort (sprinkle of smoked salt, some instant coffee granules, pinch of cardmom) to make it worthwhile, and various knockoffs often taste better, since the often incorporate somthing that relieves the flatness of the original.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#77 baroness

baroness
  • participating member
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

Add another to the NON-Nutella fans.
It tastes like bad/cheap frosting to me. :blink:

#78 Allura

Allura
  • participating member
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

What I'd really like to find is the European version in the US. Does anyone sell it other than the importers? Trader Joe's house-brand seemed to be significantly different at one time, which I suspect was due to it being the Eurorpean version of Nutella under their own brand, but they stopped carrying it.
Joanna G. Hurley
"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

#79 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

What I'd really like to find is the European version in the US. Does anyone sell it other than the importers? Trader Joe's house-brand seemed to be significantly different at one time, which I suspect was due to it being the Eurorpean version of Nutella under their own brand, but they stopped carrying it.

We did one spread made by Peanut Butter & Co, http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/ called Dark Chocolate Dreams which I really liked. Really, really liked. We don't buy it...because I would simply eat it. You might try that...considering that DH and I don't like Nutella but love Gianduja.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#80 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Darienne, I'm thinking about making some kind of peanutbutter/nutella cookies with the jar of Nutella I'm stuck with. (My son was supposed to take it back to his place, but he double-crossed me.) I hate to throw out cookies that no one likes, though. I think if I can disguise it enough, no one will notice it.

#81 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

Darienne, I'm thinking about making some kind of peanutbutter/nutella cookies with the jar of Nutella I'm stuck with. (My son was supposed to take it back to his place, but he double-crossed me.) I hate to throw out cookies that no one likes, though. I think if I can disguise it enough, no one will notice it.

You could do what we did. We were staying at a motel at the time and the next morning I went to the housekeeping center and asked would anyone like this jar of Nutella? Just one clean spoon dipped into it. And sure enough, one of the cleaning staff was glad to get it for her kids.

ps. The staff did know us. We stayed there every year.

Edited by Darienne, 27 May 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#82 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Several of my younger son's female friends rave about it all the time to him, which is how I ended up buying it in the first place. I think I'll send it home with one of them.

#83 ChrisZ

ChrisZ
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

Nutella mixed with whipped cream makes an easy cake filling, and I also use it in a similar manner to flavour buttercream. It actually goes really well with carrot cakes, and apple/cinnamon cakes, where it is a complimentary flavour. When you pair it with chocolate it can become a bit of a sweetness overload.

I don't like eating nutella straight or as a spread though. I used to live by a market that had a chocolate stall that sold slabs of Callebaut gianduja by weight. My guilty pleasure was buying a block of a few hundred grams and biting it off in chunks...

Who makes "high-end" gianduja - is there an Amadei or Valrhona for gianduja? I ate a lot of the stuff in Perugia and thought it was delicious but I'm not sure who the manufacturer was.

#84 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

ChrisZ, I actually had that same thought about using it in a filling/frosting for a crrot cake. Thanks for reminding me!

#85 Ed P

Ed P
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Add another to the NON-Nutella fans.
It tastes like bad/cheap frosting to me. :blink:

You say that like eating frosting out of a can (preferably with my finger as the utensil) is bad :laugh:

Edited by Ed P, 28 May 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#86 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Who makes "high-end" gianduja - is there an Amadei or Valrhona for gianduja? I ate a lot of the stuff in Perugia and thought it was delicious but I'm not sure who the manufacturer was.

I can't speak for Valrhona, but last fall, when I visited the Amedei plant, I tasted their Crema Toscana Alla Nocciola (tuscan cream with hazelnuts). They use hazelnuts of the Tonda Gentile variety, which they consider the very best of Italian hazelnuts. The Crema is fantastic, but then again, I adore hazelnuts.

I don't usually buy Nutella, but a choc hazelnut spread by President's Choice brand. It says "Product of Belgium" on the jar, and I think it's really good.

#87 Quesmoy

Quesmoy
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

I have not tried Nutella, because it just seems so rich to me. While I was in China I tried a hazelnut and cream spread that was to die for (and I think adding chocolate would make it too sweet for my taste), and I have not been able to find anything like it around here (and I finished all the jars I brought back with me). I wonder if I use these recipes for homemade Nutella and just left out the chocolate it would be similar to what I had in China.

#88 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

I have not tried Nutella, because it just seems so rich to me. While I was in China I tried a hazelnut and cream spread that was to die for (and I think adding chocolate would make it too sweet for my taste), and I have not been able to find anything like it around here (and I finished all the jars I brought back with me). I wonder if I use these recipes for homemade Nutella and just left out the chocolate it would be similar to what I had in China.

The presence of chocolate should make the spread less sweet, since chocolate is naturally bitter (the sweetsweetsweet character of Nutella and similar spreads is down to the fact that children (still) comprise the primary market for these, and they're capable of appreciating sweetness levels that make most adults' teeth itch/the average adult pancreas to throb). The nutella analogues I've liked best actually have a higher chocolate/cacao content, but less sugar, and also contain a little salt, which keeps the stuff from tasting flat and insipid.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#89 Jenni

Jenni
  • participating member
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

It's very slightly off topic, but has anyone else here heard of penotti, and their other product duo penotti? The first is chocolate-hazelnut, and the second has ribbons of vanilla flavoured spread through it too. I think we mostly got the original penotti, the other was a bit too sweet. My Mum used to buy it and carefully ration it out to us for a treat. Then when the jar was finished, she would clean it up and it would become a drinking glass! Don't mock, the glasses were nicely ribbed and rather attractive, they didn't look like jam jars or anything. I think it's the only reason Mum let use eat the spread! In later years, she used to occasionally buy us a small jar of nutella, and we would do the same with the jar. It wasn't as nice a glass - smooth and plain - but it still did the job. I think almost all of our ordinary drinking glasses were old chocolate spread jars for several years. Then my Mum treated us to some "fancy" shop bought ones because my brother and I had broken too many of the jar-glasses.

Edited by Jenni, 31 May 2012 - 05:05 AM.

#90 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Nutella 'chip' icecream.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.