Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Nutella.......mmmm, Nutella

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#31 mdhl

mdhl
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:39 PM

i hardly ever crave or eat chocolate unless it involves nutella.

if you're the lazy/hearty/i want it fast type, make a nutella panini on thick brioche. get the outside toasty and make sure the inside stays soft and runny.
if you're the cooking as an all-day project/refined pastry type, sub nutella for half of the chocolate in a chocolate souffle recipe.

re: making your own nutella, it's actually not so easy to make a facsimile that's as satisfying. maybe it's psychological, but eating it out of a jar and knowing that it's a mass-produced, bad-for-you convenience food is partly what it makes it so indulgent, and therefore enjoyable. but anyway, if you're going to try a homemade version, don't forget to add lecithin. its emulsifying properties will help tremendously.

#32 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:24 PM

I tried to make a Nutella cheesecake, and it turned out pretty well. Used 24ozs cream cheese, 3 eggs, about 3/4C sugar, a jar of Nutella, and 1t Frangelico. I used vanilla wafers and butter for the crust. Its a little softer than your typical cheesecake, but silky smooth and delicious.

Posted Image
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#33 rgruby

rgruby
  • participating member
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:01 PM

There is a Nutella cookbook out in Italy - in Italian only, as far as I know. I bought it for my sister - although last time I talked to her she had yet to try anything from it. There is at least one, possibly more, books about Nutella, the history of the company and so on. Also, I believe, in Italian only.

Cheers,
Geoff Ruby

#34 canucklehead

canucklehead
  • participating member
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:09 PM

nigella lawson has a great flourless or almost flourless chocolate nutella cake in her domestic goddess book.  it's really good.

View Post

I will second the recommendation on this recipe. It is easy, delicous and has the added advantage of seeming 'adult' as you wolf down large pieces of nutella moussy cake.

#35 mkfradin

mkfradin
  • participating member
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:41 AM

My previous pastry chef was also a flight attendant and told me about a Nutelleria in Frankfurt, germany (I think) where everything they served had Nutella in it. Nutella crepes for lunch, etc.

While she was telling me about it, my pulse rate went up and I could feel my knees getting weak.

I will definitely try the Nutella Cake.

Marjorie

#36 Sebastian

Sebastian
  • participating member
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:15 PM

Ferraro is building a plant in N. America as we speak. It will be interesting to see if that affects their marketing tactics for N. American Nutella usage...

#37 maremosso

maremosso
  • participating member
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:55 AM

A few days ago I made this from the Nutella Italian website:

Nutella Cannoli:

12 Cannoli (I used home made brandy snaps, rolled) - 750 g. Nutella - 1 Kg. ricotta - 150 g. sugar - cinnamon to taste - 150 g. roasted and chopped hazelnuts - Brandy - powdered sugar.

Mix ricotta, sugar and cinnamon and pass through sieve. Fill one end of each cannolo, or brandy snap.
Mix Nutella and Brandy to taste, and fill other end of cannolo or brandy snap.
Sprinle hazelnuts over Nutella end.
Place in serving dish and dust powdered sugar all over.

#38 maremosso

maremosso
  • participating member
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:01 AM

An Italian Osteria here squirts it inside their fresh bombolini. Its outrageous!

View Post

Nutella-filled Bomboloni are more common in Italy than their jam-filled American counterparts.
And the French have been using Nutella in their Petits Pains au Chocolat for a very long time.

#39 MeDeMi

MeDeMi
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:35 AM

Just the other day a friend grilled some pineapple and smeared nutella on the warm pineapple. We also made french toast for breakfast and put the nutella on that.
"Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better." Robert Redford

#40 Mooshmouse

Mooshmouse
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:34 AM

One of my favourite local coffee shops makes Nutella-filled chocolate-chip cookies and muffins with a dollop of Nutella in the centre. They're especially amazing when fresh out of the oven and the Nutella is warm and extra-gooey.

:wub:
Joie Alvaro Kent
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

#41 tarteausucre

tarteausucre
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:27 AM

Mooshmouse, where pray tell are these cookies and muffins?
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee
Literary and Culinary Rambles
http://literaryculin...es.blogspot.com

#42 Mooshmouse

Mooshmouse
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:04 AM

tarteausucre, it's Prado Cafe, located on Commercial Drive at East 4th Avenue (northeast corner) in a brick building. My comments on our local Coffehouse and Cafe Reviews thread are here.

One caveat, however: the Nutella treats aren't always available. Kind of like a Pavlovian reward system... always leave 'em wanting more. But you can always call ahead and ask if they're available. Bonne chance!
Joie Alvaro Kent
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

#43 Siren

Siren
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

i know this violates the 'besides eating it straight from the jar' adage.. but dipping japanese Pocky in it(particularly their Pumpkin variety) is beyond heaven..
Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!
-Jerry Garcia

#44 JeAnneS

JeAnneS
  • participating member
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:21 AM

OK I am going to have to break down and share my guilty pleasure in which I have not indulged in in years...nutella warmed and served over Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream :wub: :wub:

I have a recipe for Triple Hazelnut Cheesecake that I absolutely love. The original recipe is from Cooking Light, but I changed it to an allfat version and it's mighty decadent and sinfully delicious :rolleyes: I know Martha Stewart also has a recipe for cookies that are basically homey chocolate chip cookies with a nutella "button" in the middle.

JeAnne
Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

#45 bkeith

bkeith
  • participating member
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

...nutella warmed and served over Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream  :wub:  :wub:

View Post

Oh. My. God.

I can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I can't run out to the grocery store right now.
B. Keith Ryder
BCakes by BKeith

#46 Kris

Kris
  • participating member
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

I love Nutella...I made a 3 layer chocolate cake using Nutella as the filling. I iced the cake with SMBC with Frangelico added to it. It was quite good, but my family thought the hazelnut flavor was just too much.

Hey...more cake for me! :)

#47 Yummy

Yummy
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

Nutella... mmm... can't stop myself from droolin....
My nutella ritual involves:
1. Big spoon
2. Big nutella jar (costco size preferred)
3. Medium crunchy Skippy peanut butter (honey roasted nut version is a plus)

During this ritual, I'm not on earth.
Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

#48 Yummy

Yummy
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:04 PM

When there's no mo' nutella, I move on to this:

Chocolate sprinkles and condense milk sandwich
Posted Image

Living at "yuppy" neighborhood, finding a loaf of Wonder Bread can be a mission:
- getting raised eyebrows & snickers from Urban Fare bakery staff
- no regular Safeway around the corner
- when finally found a Safeway, they don't have it! :shock:

At last, mission accomplished at 7 Eleven. Thank Gawd. :smile:
Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

#49 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

I'm not sure if this is a new product or not, but it is really good!

Trader Joe's Cocoa Hazelnut Spread

12.35 oz for $2.69 (in Northern CA)

Ingredients: Sugar, Hazelnuts, Sunflower and Hazelnut Oil, Cocoa Powder, Whey Powder, Milk Powder, Soy Lecithin.
No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
Product of Turkey.

Besides the reasonable price, there is NO peanut oil!!! (This is in contrast to American-distributed Nutella). I really dislike the peanut taste in this context as (for me) it completely takes away from the hazelnut flavor.

I'll have to compare it side by side with Europe-distributed Nutella, but this is tasting great!
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#50 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:53 PM

Just thought I would post this link to the thread for the REAL Nutella fans!!!

http://www.amazon.fr...7872075-7067324

Yes it's a French book but cooking translations aren't that hard.
2317/5000

#51 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:34 PM

When I was in college many moons ago, we used to have Nutella on one slice of bread, Marshmallow Fluff on another, then stick it in the toaster oven for a bit for makeshift s'mores. This was common practice until I OD'd on it one lonely Valentine's Day. It took many years before I could even look at a jar without holding my stomach. :laugh:
Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

#52 scordelia

scordelia
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

Naturally, the classic Nutella filled crepe!
S. Cue

#53 Jenny McClure

Jenny McClure
  • participating member
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:31 AM

Fresh hot toast, nutella, topped with slices of banana.....

#54 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:04 AM

When I think of Nutella I think of the fresh, warm crepes on the streets of Paris filled with Nutella and sliced bananas…fantastic!

Also, I have a friend who sticks a whole (peeled) banana on a plate, microwaves it until it’s soft and heated through, then just globs Nutella all over it; saves having to make the crepes.

View Post

Exactly - crepes Nutella! Heavenly. When I was in Paris and poor, I would eat one of these, and it was a day's worth of meals.
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#55 ALTAF

ALTAF
  • participating member
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:42 AM

there is a book in french about nutella dessertsamazon. Any one got it?

#56 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:15 AM

I have a recipe for Triple Hazelnut Cheesecake that I absolutely love.  The original recipe is from Cooking Light, but I changed it to an allfat version and it's mighty decadent and sinfully delicious  :rolleyes: 

View Post

How could you possibly write something like that and not post the recipe?!??!?!?! How cruel! :angry: :biggrin: I should add, before the moderator does, that if you do post the recipe, someone might tell you to put it in recipeGullet and then link to it. But I'd be willing to take it anywhere in any form!

(it was the

I changed it to an allfat version

that really peaked my interest!)

#57 Verjuice

Verjuice
  • participating member
  • 712 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:59 AM

Dear Nutella,

Thank you for helping me find a way to use up that uninspired and suspicious loaf of old banana bread.

I love you.

#58 Louisa Chu

Louisa Chu
  • participating member
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:47 PM

I hesitate to post this here because it's over but I think you all have the right to know - there was a temporary Nutella restaurant here in Paris earlier this year. It was open for only 40 days - to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Nutella - and to raise money for charity. It was quite simply Nutella heaven. I have a post about it on my blog - La Table Nutella - with a photo of a Nutella custard served in a egg shell - with a long, dense, dark chocolate cookie for spooning. And I do have the Nutella cookbook by Philippe Conticini - I highly recommend - especially to Nutella fans. On the cover are his Nutella version of his signature chocolate croquettes. You're meant to pop them in your mouth whole and warm - releasing a rush of warm chocolate and Nutella.

I spoke with the Ferrara reps at the Candy Expo in Chicago this summer - and sadly they have little interest in widely promoting Nutella in the US.

#59 ALTAF

ALTAF
  • participating member
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:57 PM

And I do have the Nutella cookbook by Philippe Conticini - I highly recommend - especially to Nutella fans.

Hi Louisa Chu,

Can you give us a short review of the book? example: recipe levels, catagories,...etc. And whats your favorite recipe?

#60 Staximo

Staximo
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:39 AM

Nutella is fantastic with mascarpone "cream".

500g mascarpone
100g white sugar
2 eggs
Mix egg yolks with sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Add mascarpone and mix well with a wooden spoon.
Beat egg whites until fluffy and add to mascarpone mix. Stir gently.

In an individual bowl set a Tsp of nutella (or more), cover with mascarpone cream.
Serve with a butter cake, or butter bisquits, or danish pastry... or nothing :smile: