Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#61 tighe

tighe
  • participating member
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:03 AM

Uh, well, ya see what happened was..., well...

OK, so I really haven't liked Pagliacci the couple times I've had it over the past few years, but since there aren't any near where I live, I can't say I've given it a truly fair shot either. Some of it is probably personal taste, since, unlike elswinger, I do like the "Greek style" of pizza and count Pegasus and Olympia among my favs.

If anyone is looking for delivery pizza in the south end, I've recently discovered Pizza Gallery in Burien which I like a lot. Definitely more along the lines of Pegasus rather than Pagliacci style-wise.

My other standard rec for pizza is Stellar Pizza in Georgetown. Careful, their tomato sauce is spicy...

Edited by tighe, 07 November 2004 - 12:06 AM.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.
- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

#62 wesza

wesza
  • participating member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:51 AM

I would like to make some recommendations about "Pagliacci Pizza" I have been ordering Pizza from then since 1990 and they have almost never provided delivery of any pie that I ordered that wasn't carefully prepared according to my instructions about how I wanted my pie done. I was able to achieve this success because I was frustrated with even attempting to eat Pizza in Seattle, after enjoying it in NYC, New Haven, Philadelphia, Boston and other east coast locations.

The Manager in my neighborhood, "Pagliacci" was willing to pay attention and listen to how I preferred they prepare Pizza to my specification. Then by trial and error he managed to meet as closely as possible a close approximation.

This is done by working within the capabilities of the Ovens [High Quality] being used and available ingredient's. What's so very special about their method of operation is that no matter when I order a Pizza from anywhere in their delivery are, which has become very extensive they can call up my method of preparation via my home telephone number and name from their extensive computer file of all customers preferences this applies to the , Calzone's" as well.

They understand how I prefer my Pizza be baked, especially how I want the crust finished and my topping to be cooked together.

The deliveries are always quick and amazingly enough in this day and age many of the driver and the manager are still employed. I did know the previous owners personally after I became a customer and Jason [Fai Chai] is a good friend whom I met through eGullet, but my feeling are objective since I never kid about food.

The new owners have certainly tried to maintain and continue business by being service and quality orientated. I have tried Pizza at almost every place as I still seek what I can't obtain. There are several places that do prepare acceptable pie's, but not as consistent as they should. Certainly not for delivery.

Irwin
I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

#63 mb7o

mb7o
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:21 AM

So can we call up Pagliacci's and say "I want a pizza made the way Irwin likes it" and try it out? :wink:

As to the sometimes floppy crust--that's one of the first things I noticed about Pagliacci's pizza--the fact that the pizza can be practically rolled up under certain conditions. Which is very typical of the pizza I grew up with in Philadelphia.

P.S. pagliacci by the slice is uneven, perhaps because it sometimes sits around for a while.

#64 sequim

sequim
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:12 AM

Tighe, could you please explain what Greek Style pizza is?

#65 elswinger

elswinger
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:12 AM

When I say "Greek-style" pizza I am usually refering to a thicker, softer, chewier crust, often a bit oily.
"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

#66 MsRamsey

MsRamsey
  • participating member
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:11 AM

For this "Greek" style of pizza, I love Palermo on 15th (Capitol Hill).
"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."
-- State Senator John Burton, joking about
how the bill to ban production of foie gras in
California was summarized for signing by
Gov. Schwarzenegger.

#67 laurel

laurel
  • participating member
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

So can we call up Pagliacci's and say "I want a pizza made the way Irwin likes it" and try it out?  :wink:

View Post

That might work. When we ordered pizzas for work at my last company, we'd give them a couple home phone numbers so we could get people's favorite combinations of toppings..

#68 Sleepy_Dragon

Sleepy_Dragon
  • participating member
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:14 PM

Now I am curious. What do we say to the Pagliacci operator for an Irwin Special?

Pat
"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

#69 ScorchedPalate

ScorchedPalate
  • participating member
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:25 PM

Cam and I love Pagliacci's -- we used to live right around the corner from the one on 85th and the pies would be blazing hot when they arrived.

We went into mourning when we moved to Madison Valley and realized we were just a few blocks outside their delivery zone for the Cap Hill location. We haven't had delivery pizza since. (OK, once... the time we discovered Mad Pizza is gnarly-bad.)

Fai Jai: Can we lobby your corporate HQ for a Madrona/Madison/Central location? We're going into South Philly and Pagliaccio Salad withdrawls. :wub:

~Anita

Edited by ScorchedPalate, 08 November 2004 - 02:27 PM.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

#70 Fay Jai

Fay Jai
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:42 PM

Laurel --- Kudos to you for working Luigi (thats the name the company has given our ordering software) like an absolute champ. that was great.

Pat --- Good question. Care to answer, Irwin? ;)

Scorched P. --- I'll let the owners know. I'm not privy to everything, but my sense is that they are trying to push North right now and encircle the lake. I agree that there is a lot of potential biz in Madrona/Madison Park area. (BTW...Have you tried The AGOG? Mmmmmm.....roasted garlic....(Homer Simpson slobbering sounds.....)

This may sound blasphemous, but I am really sorry to hear that Mad Pizza was so bad. I used to work for the guy that wrote the recipes and opened the Madison Park location, and one of my former employees was an assistant manager there b4 she got promoted to GM at their Fremont store. (Took them long enough, Onjoli! :raz: ) I haven't eaten any of their pie in awhile, but I used to really like the one that they put apples on.
"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

#71 wesza

wesza
  • participating member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:59 PM

Jason ["Fai Chai"]

Your the insider at the source [Luigi' and also know my phone number.
I give you permission to ask Luigi what my instructions are when i place my order.

I enjoy the Calzone with some extra sauce and sometimes request some for various types of pies. I feel it's the best in town, done my way.

I also always remind the order taker to advise when placing my order that the pie should be cooked very well done to allow the bottom of the crust to solidify and set, so I can fold my slices NY style.

One thing about ,"Pagliacci" is that in my case the delivery person waits until I check the pie to see if it's done my way. The few times that it wasn't it was quickly replaced with a smile, but I tip well and the service is always good.

My way is the only way that a oven without the high heat can manage to come close to NY Style, when the thermostats are customized to bake at 750/850 degrees at the better Pizza places.

Irwin
I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

#72 tighe

tighe
  • participating member
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 12:19 AM

(OK, once... the time we discovered Mad Pizza is gnarly-bad.)

View Post

Mad Pizza has gone into quality free-fall. Five or six years ago, I liked their pizza quite a bit, then a couple years ago it was not as good but still OK for a quick cheap lunch near my office, now it inhabits the 5th circle of hell and I'm not going back. I should amend my original Pags rant to say that it is certainly better than the current state of Mad Pizza.
Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.
- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

#73 MsRamsey

MsRamsey
  • participating member
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:43 AM

(OK, once... the time we discovered Mad Pizza is gnarly-bad.)

View Post

Mad Pizza has gone into quality free-fall. Five or six years ago, I liked their pizza quite a bit, then a couple years ago it was not as good but still OK for a quick cheap lunch near my office, now it inhabits the 5th circle of hell and I'm not going back. I should amend my original Pags rant to say that it is certainly better than the current state of Mad Pizza.

View Post

It's horrendous. They use ingredients that are way past their freshness and sometimes downright rotten. I'm surprised they haven't been cited for it by the city yet.
Gov. Schwarzenegger.

#74 sequim

sequim
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:58 AM

The Agog is my favorite. :wub:

#75 ScorchedPalate

ScorchedPalate
  • participating member
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:49 AM

Scorched P. --- I'll let the owners know. I'm not privy to everything, but my sense is that they are trying to push North right now and encircle the lake. I agree that there is a lot of potential biz in Madrona/Madison Park area. (BTW...Have you tried The AGOG? Mmmmmm.....roasted garlic....(Homer Simpson slobbering sounds.....)

This may sound blasphemous, but I am really sorry to hear that Mad Pizza was so bad.

View Post

Nope, we haven't tried the AGOG. Maybe we'll have to come and pick one up. <sigh> I really do miss nights in front of the TiVo with a Pagliacci pie...

(M/B)ad Pizza: our real estate agent gave us a $50 gift certificate when we moved in here, knowing how bummed we were about being outside the Pagliacci delivery zone. Our first night here, we used the certificate to buy a pie and a salad. Even though we'd told the person who took our order that we'd be using a huge gift certificate for a relatively small order, they didn't send the driver with a blank certificate to give us as change. So she had to take our certificate, go all the way back to Madison Park, pick up the filled-in replacement, and bring it back up the hill. Obviously, someone is *not* thinking ahead down there. The food was so terrible, and the process of using the gift certificate so utterly annoying, that I donated the leftover certificate to a raffle. Bad doesn't even begin to cover it.

Let us know who to send our plea to at PagsHQ. Circling the lake is an admirable goal, but you guys could snap up some cheap property on the edge of the CD and make a mint off of madrona, madison park, and madison valley: We have no good delivery pizza here at ALL.

~Anita

Edited by ScorchedPalate, 09 November 2004 - 08:50 AM.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

#76 elswinger

elswinger
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:55 AM

Every time I've ordered from Mad Pizza, the crust in the middle was uncooked.
"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

#77 SeaGal

SeaGal
  • participating member
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:07 AM

Well, this thread just solved my "what's for dinner tonight" query. Too busy to cook, so Pagliacci it is!! Love that Luigi :wink:

1/2 South Philly and 1/2 Prosciutto Primo :wub: (and I'm going to ask for extra done crust this time, cause the only quibble I ever have is with delivery, the crust in the center is a bit soggy.

Jan
Jan
Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#78 LEdlund

LEdlund
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:41 AM

The few times that it wasn't it was quickly replaced with a smile, but I tip well and the service is always good.

Speaking of tipping, what do you all tip for pizza delivery? We have a disagreement in our household over what is appropriate.....

I also like the AGOG, but I have them hold the fresh tomatoes (they make the crust too wet imho) and substitute artichoke hearts. Yum.
Practice Random Acts of Toasting

#79 kiliki

kiliki
  • participating member
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:00 PM

I tip as I do in a restaurant, 15-20%, but I've been told that's too much for pizza delivery.

#80 elswinger

elswinger
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:06 PM

I tip about between $3-6 for an order that's between $16-30.

#81 reesek

reesek
  • participating member
  • 865 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:20 PM

Speaking of tipping, what do you all tip for pizza delivery? We have a disagreement in our household over what is appropriate.....

View Post

$5 and up...(there are only 2 of us, so it's usually $15-$22)

they bring it to my house...how cool is that? i'm delighted to show them my love. our pagliacci driver (WS) is very attentive.

the other thing that rocks about them was during the world series. i called to place an order and the order taker changed how my order was keyed in to the computer -- saving me a dollar. (and he was very diplomatic about the game - which in my sorrow, i very much appreciated!)

i'll have to ask them too "cook it well" thanks!

edited to say - it's not the greatest pizza - but good customer service and quality ingredients have made them my standard.

Edited by reesek, 09 November 2004 - 02:20 PM.

from overheard in new york:
Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!
Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

#82 elswinger

elswinger
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:22 PM

If you want to look at pictures of "real NY pizza" check out this eGullet thread: http://forums.egulle...showtopic=35551

Tomorrow I am going to buy a digital camera and take pictures of the next pizza I eat!

#83 BaconFat

BaconFat
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:45 PM

So can we call up Pagliacci's and say "I want a pizza made the way Irwin likes it" and try it out?  :wink:

View Post

That might work. When we ordered pizzas for work at my last company, we'd give them a couple home phone numbers so we could get people's favorite combinations of toppings..

View Post

Besides asking for the "Irwin Special", ask the operator at Pag's what the "frequent pier" special is for the night. They usually offer a large salad for the price of a small, or 75 cents for two ltr of soda.

#84 elswinger

elswinger
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:39 AM

I didn't make it to the new pizza place but did give Il Fornaio a try. Since I don't want to hijack this thread, I'll start a new one.

#85 Fay Jai

Fay Jai
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:13 PM

"Irwin Special"... :laugh: :raz: :laugh:

I talked to the GM of the Delivery Kitchen that Irwin orders from today. He advises to ask for the crust to be "very well done".

Good tip on asking for the frequent pie'r, BaconFat!

Have a nice weekend! :wink:

Jason
"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

#86 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 02:24 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that we didn't have a NY Style pizza this week due to the holiday(husband wasn't going into Seattle for school Thursday night) so instead we ordered from Pagliacci. One thing that I've found with pizza delivered and/or picked up that really helps is to preheat your oven to 450 and then pop your slices in for a few minutes. Makes it crisper and tastes much better. My mantra is "No soggy pizza!"

So next week we will try another place. :biggrin:

#87 Fay Jai

Fay Jai
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 05:11 PM

SO, Deborah...

What did you get and how was it?

#88 MsRamsey

MsRamsey
  • participating member
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:53 PM

Does anyone know if that new pizza place (run by Caffe Vita) on Capitol Hill is open to the public yet? It wasn't when I checked on 11/9.
Gov. Schwarzenegger.

#89 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:26 PM

SO, Deborah...

What did you get and how was it?

View Post

:biggrin: Welllllllllllllll we got the usual! Half pepperoni and half with sausage and onions. Overall pretty good (although I must confess I like Hot Mama's better now). Popped my slices in the oven for a few minutes and liked how it crsiped it up a tad.

#90 Sleepy_Dragon

Sleepy_Dragon
  • participating member
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:51 PM

I do 20%, or $2, whichever is the greater sum. Got that suggestion from this site:

http://www.tipthepizzaguy.com/

edit to add: the site suggests starting at 15% and going up or down accordingly, but I'm personally good for 20% all the time, mostly from an awareness of what it's like to work jobs like that, especially wrt the hidden costs, unless they personally did wrong by me, which to date has never happened.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon, 15 November 2004 - 08:00 PM.

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-