Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#31 elswinger

elswinger
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:52 AM

I have had frozen Flying Pizza from New York and was surprised they used muenster cheese instead of mozzerella. Is this typical of NY-style pizza? or is it just what Flying Pizza uses?
"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

#32 olivina

olivina
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:05 AM

All the best NYC pizza I ever ate was from coal fired ovens. Like the original John's pizza in the Village. The coal oven gives it that delicious char on the bottom. We are not going to find a coal oven here in Seattle.
I used to eat a LOT of street pizza sold by the slice on every other street corner in NY. It was really good, but thicker crusted than coal fired and very oily from the fake cheese. Its the kind of pizza you fold in half legnthwise in order to keep the oil from dripping while walking down the street frantically trying to get to your job on time.

#33 reesek

reesek
  • participating member
  • 865 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:11 AM

deborah -

please do post your findings (incl. photos!) here...

NY pizza isn't more "italian" it's definitely american...some people insist it's the water. my order-in-go-to is pagliacci. it's not NY, but piecora's crust ruins the rest of what makes it closer to NY for me...none of it is particularly satisfactory.

fortunately, there is some very good wood-fired pizza here.

tutta bella (negative reviews, odd experiences aside) is worth a visit. so is la medusa (across the street - dinner only) and definitely - as anita mentioned - cafe lago. there's also abondanza (sp) in west seattle. i'd like to try it again and eat it there. pizza and cardboard are sworn enemies, so i'd like to give it another go.

edited to add - NY pizza uses Mozzarella traditionally, not Muenster

Edited by reesek, 25 October 2004 - 11:12 AM.

from overheard in new york:
Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!
Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

#34 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:46 AM

and next week New York Pizza Place

Not really helpful, but I recall hearing the owners of this place moved out not long ago - not sure if there is a joint there anymore or not. Got one pie before the news. Too heavy for my pizza taste. I know a place in Milan...

#35 adanzig

adanzig
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:24 PM

The original owner of New York Pizza Place did indeed sell the place not too long ago...to a guy who promises not to change a thing, from the kitchy decor to the bucket o' Red Vines at the counter to the pizza recipes used by the previous owner. If you like the place, that's good news. :)

#36 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:20 PM

Hmmmm that's interesting news about New York Pizza Place.
We plan on getting the next pizza this Thursday night so I'll post pic's and finding on Friday.

#37 mb7o

mb7o
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:51 AM

There's also La Vita E' Bella in Belltown--not NYC style, but Italian. Thin crust.

Note that Pagliacci's is Philadelphia style. Since I'm from Philadelphia, I think it's good.

And NYC does have different water, though I'm not sure how different it is from Seattle, they're both good water supplies. Probably different minerals or something.

#38 jbonne

jbonne
  • participating member
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 04:21 PM

Tutta Bella and Cafe Lago are the closest, and both plenty good, though having been back last weekend to show off the real, legit thing, i can safely say NYC is still far ahead of the pack.

NY Pizza Place was ok, a decent facsimile of the average corner-shop pizza you might find in your neighborhood. but it doesn't draw me back, and i live three blocks away.

#39 Fay Jai

Fay Jai
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:41 PM

Hey Mb7o ---

Please define "Philadelphia style" pizza...I'm curious...

Thanks,

Jason
"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

#40 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:02 AM

This week we tried Hot Mama’s Pizza. Again a good pizza but still not like the pizza we had in NYC. We both actually thought this pizza overall was better than Piecora’s and closer to the pizza we had in NYC. Close enough to satisfy cravings...not quite.

Cheese & Topping: Overall good. But the big difference between this and NYC was the cheese. Cheese on this pie seemed to lack the punch of flavor that the one in NYC did and it was a little oily.

Sauce: Good. Nice and thin. A little heavier on herbs compared to NYC.

Crust: Okay we are getting closer. Much thinner. Good chew but needed some char and crispness. I'd like to see how the crust was if we got it there and it didn't have to travel home in the box--might make a bit of difference. The flavor of the crust was so much better than Piecora’s.

So that’s the scoop! Still no where near the slice(s) of heaven we had in NYC so the quest continues! :smile:

Here are the pictures:

Whole
Posted Image

Slice

Posted Image

Crust
Posted Image

Thanks for the other suggestions. I am on a mission so I'll continue to try other places and post our findings.

Edited by Deborah, 29 October 2004 - 07:12 AM.

#41 rooberu

rooberu
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 02:44 PM

I did the Seattle suicide run yesterday (up from Olympia) and hit Tutta Bella. I honestly don't understand the negative reviews for this place. I think it stands up to anything I've had outside of Napoli itself.

I had the margherita and the marinara and they were both suberb. Washed down with a couple pints of Moretti, it was a great lunch.

#42 Fay Jai

Fay Jai
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 08:23 PM

Yikes....Look at the screen marks on the crust... :blink:

Let the bricks do their work!!! :raz:
"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

#43 Sleepy_Dragon

Sleepy_Dragon
  • participating member
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 10:53 AM

This week we tried Hot Mama’s Pizza.
Here are the pictures:

Whole
Posted Image

View Post

Is the sausage on the top half the crumbled kind or the pellet kind?

And thanks for posting your progress. This is a fun thread! :biggrin: And yeah Hot Mama's is better when gotten fresh from the oven, easy for me to do since school is a couple blocks away.

I'm also glad people are calling them slices instead of pieces. Hearing a "piece of pizza" rattles the insides of my teeth as hard as an energetic child in a small room beating metal pots with metal utensils.

Pat
"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

#44 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 10:03 PM

Is the sausage on the top half the crumbled kind or the pellet kind?

View Post

Sorry to say it was pellets.

So next week we will try another place. Wish us luck :smile:

#45 Sleepy_Dragon

Sleepy_Dragon
  • participating member
  • 553 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:46 PM

*sob* Pellets? Oh well... guess I will be sticking with Hot Mama's veggie or ham and pineapple slices.

Yes, good luck, eagerly awaiting the next installment. :biggrin:

Pat
"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

#46 sequim

sequim
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:26 PM

Even though I haven't had New York pizza I do love a good crisp crust with little topping. So my favorites so far have been 1) Pegasus Pizza in West Seattle. They have their Special in which they saute the peperoni so that it becomes crispy and it's delicious - and I'm not a fan of peperoni. But done that way, it tastes like bacon. 2) Tulio in downtown Seattle. I had their marguerita (sp) and the crust was excellent. It was the star of the show. :rolleyes:

#47 mb7o

mb7o
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:07 AM

Please define "Philadelphia style" pizza...I'm curious...

View Post

I don't know exactly. It's similar to NY style--thin crust, the mix of cheese, a decently hot oven (not quite NYC coal hot), order & style of toppings. I've also never been to any of the unusual places in Philadelphia like Taconelli's (search the PA forum), just the local places near where I grew up.

#48 kieran

kieran
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:57 AM

I don't know exactly. It's similar to NY style--thin crust, the mix of cheese, a decently hot oven (not quite NYC coal hot), order & style of toppings. I've also never been to any of the unusual places in Philadelphia like Taconelli's (search the PA forum), just the local places near where I grew up.

View Post

Dude if you ever head back to Philly make Taconelli's a priority. Best pizza I've ever had anywhere, and I've spent a lot of time in New York.

I think of Philly pizza as more topping-driven than NYC pizza, but I don't know why.

#49 elswinger

elswinger
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:39 AM

In the Seattle Times today:

Caffé Vita owner sinks teeth into pizza biz

First he brought us coffee worth drinking. Now Caffé Vita's Michael McConnell is set to bring us pizza worth eating. Via Tribunali (913 E. Pike St., Seattle; 206-322-9234), a Neapolitan-style pizzeria and bar, is expected to make its Capitol Hill debut later this week. A sneak(y) peek proved that this slender room with its exposed brick walls, sleek bar and dark wood booths already has the physical allure of a hip Italian hangout.

Creating Via Tribunali a block from his flagship café and roasting plant was a selfish endeavor, McConnell insists. "I didn't do this to make money. I've traveled to Naples a lot and wanted to bring back something for me from a place that I love."

To that end he imported materials and manpower to build a "very authentic, very traditional" Neapolitan wood-fired pizza oven. A couple of Italian pizzaiola have been imported too, along with the ingredients needed to build those authentic-tasting pies meant to star on a limited menu. That menu will also list a handful of antipasto, salad and pastas complemented by a mostly Italian wine list.

With the assistance of Seattle restaurateur (and not-so-silent business partner) Peter Lamb and celebrated salumi-maker Armandino Batali (whose cured meats will flavor the menu), McConnell's latest enterprise has success written all over it. Via Tribunali will be open from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. Tuesdays through Sundays. Lunch and nightly service are in the offing.
"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

#50 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:40 AM

:biggrin: Another week another pizza! Thursday night has become official pizza night in our house now! :laugh: At least for the time being. And now for Friday results:

This week we tried A New York Pizza Place. I can summarize this pizza in a word- bland, bland, bland. Okay that was three words but it covers crust, toppings and sauce. This one really lacked flavor. We both thought this was just an okay pizza. Would I go again...probably not. There are other places to go to that do a better job.

Toppings: Cheese and other toppings were okay. Again lacked much flavor.

Sauce: Well....it was thin.

Crust: Thin and fairly consistent in size but again not alot of flavor and it was a tad doughy. Decent chew but lacked good crispness.

Now for the pictures:

Whole:
Posted Image

Slice:
Posted Image

Crust:
Posted Image

#51 elswinger

elswinger
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 11:30 AM

I'm glad you and I agree on NY Pizza. I couldn't believe anyone would prefer this over Pagliacci's, which I think gets an unfair rap on this and other boards.

Keep the pictures comin (I'll have to buy a digital camera one of these days).

#52 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 11:56 AM

Oh yes Pagliacii's is way better than A New York Pizza Place. Perhaps A New York Pizza Place was better before it changed owners.

Has anyone tried Post Alley Pizza? I see they are another NY Style Pizza place. Anyone know if they are open for dinner or is this a downtown lunch only place?
I need to figure out where we should go next week. I really do want to find the best NY Style Pizza in Seattle. Yes, I'm determined. :biggrin:

#53 tighe

tighe
  • participating member
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:17 PM

I'm glad you and I agree on NY Pizza.  I couldn't believe anyone would prefer this over Pagliacci's, which I think gets an unfair rap on this and other boards.

View Post

I really don't want to start a Pagliacci's flame war here, but maybe you (or another fan) could explain to me what the appeal is? I used to eat it when I was in high school because it was convenient and I didn't know any better. It is hands-down the worst non-national chain pizza I've eaten in the last few years. I find the crust particularly offensive.
Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.
- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

#54 sequim

sequim
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:22 PM

Yes, I did try this for that very reason I'd heard it was New York style, as I work nearby. They're a hole in the wall where the bike messengers go! :biggrin: Mostly get pizzas by the slice, it was good, not fantastic. And yes, lunch only, just counter style and a couple tiny tables.

Oh yes Pagliacii's is way better than A New York Pizza Place. Perhaps A New York Pizza Place was better before it changed owners.

Has anyone tried Post Alley Pizza? I see they are another NY Style Pizza place. Anyone know if they are open for dinner or is this a downtown lunch only place?
I need to figure out where we should go next week. I really do want to find the best NY Style Pizza in Seattle.  Yes, I'm determined.  :biggrin:

View Post

#55 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:26 PM

And yes, lunch only, just counter style and a couple tiny tables.

View Post

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I need a place where we can get a whole pie for dinner. So where to go next week? I really want to stick to places that are supposed to have New York Style Pizza.

#56 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:36 PM

I really don't want to start a Pagliacci's flame war here, but maybe you (or another fan) could explain to me what the appeal is?  I used to eat it when I was in high school because it was convenient and I didn't know any better.  It is hands-down the worst non-national chain pizza I've eaten in the last few years.  I find the crust particularly offensive.

View Post

Well if you think they are bad do not try A New York Pizza Place! :laugh: I agree thought that Pagliacci needs to work on their crust. That's my biggest issue with their pizza. But overall I think it's okay and much better than the other chains in my neighborhood.

But alas my quest for great, heck I'd settle for really good NY Style Pizza continues.

Edited by Deborah, 05 November 2004 - 12:46 PM.

#57 elswinger

elswinger
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:54 PM

I'm sorry, I like Pagliacci more than any other place that delivers. The crust is thin and crisp (especially when I get it by the slice on the Ave). I think they use good sauce and cheese compared to just about any other place that delivers, my only knock against them is I'm not crazy about there sausage (too fancy). Pretty much every other Seattle pizza place that I liked better when I moved here in 1990 (Rocket, Abruzzi's, and Testa Rosa) closed long ago.

I am not crazy about "greek" styled pizza like Romio's or Olympia because their crust is to greasy and chewey and there is something wierd about their cheese. I heard Madame K's in Ballard was supposed to be the best, but it was literally the worst pizza I've had in Seattle (canned mushrooms!) Hot Mama's is a decent place to get a slice, but a "destination." I've had pizza delivered from Jet City, Mad Pizza, Bene, Zeke's, and Atlantic Street and I didn't like any of them as much as I like Pagliacci (but I'd love to find a better place than Pagliacci's that delivers). Jet City is the only one I dub terrible. I've also eaten at Northlake Pizza, Pudge Brothers, Bill's Off Broadway, Piecora's, Pizza Brava, Wild Tiger, Delfino's, Varlamos, and Pizza Time. There are pro's & cons for all of them, but I don't like any of them better than Pagliacci.

Personally, I've had much better pizza at Pazzo's, Tutta Bella, Palamino, even The Garage, but none of them deliver. I like a thin crisp crust, a well seasoned red sauce, 100% real mozzerella, and great toppings. There are still a few places I still need to try (La Vita E'Bella, Cafe Lago, Via Tribulani, etc.), but delivery I still prefer Pagliacci, and right now I'd say Pazzo's is the best walk in place.

I'm hoping Deborah takes a picture of a pizza that compels me to order from somewhere besides Pagliacci.

#58 MsRamsey

MsRamsey
  • participating member
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:04 PM

I really like Pagliacci's for delivery too. The crust is toothsome, but crispy on the bottom, and the ingredients are definitely of a higher quality than the majority of other chains.
"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."
-- State Senator John Burton, joking about
how the bill to ban production of foie gras in
California was summarized for signing by
Gov. Schwarzenegger.

#59 Deborah

Deborah
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:09 PM

Back when I lived on Queen Anne I used to get calzone's from Pazzo's (when they had a QA location) and thought they were good. I really need to try their pizza sometime....but those calzones always draw me in. :rolleyes:

Oh and I completely agree about Jet City Pizza---yuck! Really greasy and salty and completely inconsistent with their mediocre toppings (yes I had a pie delivered once that was partly naked and other times it seems globbed on). Jet City and Pagliacci are the two that are in my area and Pagliacci wins over them hands down!

Edited by Deborah, 05 November 2004 - 01:19 PM.

#60 Fay Jai

Fay Jai
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:42 PM

Ok... Full Disclosure... I am the GM of the Pag's on the Ave.

Elswinger, Deborah, and Ms. Ramsey --- Thanks for the kind words, particularly to you, elswinger. Next time you are in look for the heavyset guy with the beard and the shirt with the collar and say hey. I'd love to put a name to the face.

Tighe --- Jeez, what can I say. Speaking strictly for myself (NOT ON BEHALF OF THE COMPANY,EVEN THOUGH IT MAY SOUND LIKE IT...) Sorry to hear that you are so unsatisfied with our pie. I will say that if you ever order one and you are unsatisfied with it, be it delivery or other wise, let us know, because we want to. Yeah, I know that it may sound like some company line that we want every customer to be satisfied, but at no other place that I have ever worked have I seen it more in evidence then at Pagliacci. I'll admit, we don't have wood burning ovens from a boutique oven maker, and our cheese does not come from free range cows that have never seen the inside of a pen and solely eat grass, but we do use the best ingredients that we can to put out a quality, affordable product.
We would love the chance to try to change your mind.

I am proud to work for them, they treat their employees well, and they do care.

I'll get off the soapbox now... :raz: