Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Restaurant Magazine: Top 20 Chefs of All Time

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 leviathan

leviathan
  • participating member
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:11 AM

Wolfgang Puck is important because - in my opinion - he was responsible for the "invention" of "New American" cuisine - which in turn spawned a lot of sub-categories (Nuevo Latino, Floribbean, etc.)

I think Puck's ultimate influence will derive from him being the american chef who started the whole phenomenon of celebrity chefs leveraging their brand into something more commercial that reached a wider american audience. He was also the first big name chef that heraleded a new culinary era for Las Vegas, and his success there opened up the doors for other chefs to follow. He's set up a model and protype that we're seeing other celebrity chefs follow today.

#32 Jon Tseng

Jon Tseng
  • participating member
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:39 AM

I think Puck's ultimate influence will derive from him being the american chef who started the whole phenomenon of celebrity chefs leveraging their brand into something more commercial that reached a wider american audience. He was also the first big name chef that heraleded a new culinary era for Las Vegas, and his success there opened up the doors for other chefs to follow. He's set up a model and protype that we're seeing other celebrity chefs follow today.

View Post

Maybe, but wasn't Bocuse doing pretty much the same thing (albeit more in France) some time before Puck?

And I'm sure he had a restaurant in Disneyworld before Wolfgang had one in Las Vegas...

J
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

#33 Gary Marshall

Gary Marshall
  • participating member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:11 AM

bloody hell where did you drag this thread from? last post until today 2004 !
you don't win friends with salad

#34 CheGuevara

CheGuevara
  • participating member
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

if you're entitling an article "the 20 greatest sculptors of all time" what i would expect is a list of the most talented and gifted artists in that category. talent not measured by their financial success but for the art itself, its expression.

antoine careme, he's easy irrespective of what his food tasted, during his time on earth he shone as a culinary artist because he pushed and took the art of food forward. whatever one's opinion of adria or his cooking is, one can't argue how far he's taken food in the years he's been alive. who else has been at the head of a kitchen resposnible for so many new cooking techniques, who else has written so much about his own philosophies and approach to reinventing and progressing gastronomy? if we see a change in food over the next century it will be because of his work, not that of wolfgang puck.

if you look at more traditional artists, the great ones are those that shock and inspire because their works break with conventions, they express themselves in radically new ways - surrealism, britpop - generally they do things no one at the time was doing. by doing so their art evolves.

an english literature professor who insipers his students to write is of great value to society; however that does not make him a hemingway.

#35 uttley

uttley
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

At last a list of top chefs without Jamie Oliver.

• annabelle likes this

#36 pasta queen

pasta queen
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

Why not Julia Child? In terms of influence and longevity she should make the list IMO.

#37 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Why not Julia Child?

Because she was never a chef?

#38 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

This was 2004. I wonder if the Eurocentric nature of the list would have changed in the past nine years with greater understanding and recognition of Japanese ingredients, techniques, and chefs.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog