Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

Breakfast

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3316 replies to this topic

#61 spaghetttti

spaghetttti
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 878 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:59 AM

My current daily breakfast is coffee and egg drop soup.  I'm in a phase.  One of my favorite breakfasts that I used to take to the office was miso soup and an Iggy's roll with taleggio.  I love soup for breakfast!  Oooh, spinach soup with hard boiled egg is also fantastic.

My first post, I'm so excited.  :biggrin:

View Post

Ellie, welcome to eGullet.

Soup for breakfast sounds very appealing to me. I'm one of those who prefers something savory for breakfast anyway. And what a great way to start the day, with egg drop soup. Would you be willing to share your recipe?
Yetty CintaS
I am spaghetttti

#62 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:07 AM

wonderful method, I tried it this morning while doing the last of my homework and they  turned out great. plus i didn't have to worry about the water boiling over

i'm getting so many ideas for cooking eggs on this thread!

View Post

I can't remember where I heard it but I think it works great too. Especially for making deviled eggs, no grey yolks! And I agree about the boiling water!

This morning we had shots of espresso and toast with butter.

#63 David94928

David94928
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:34 AM

Two large eggs scrambled somewhat soft sprinkled with Chipolte tobasco sauce, a whole wheat muffing with a touch of Smuckers Whole Fruit (strawberry) and three gorgeous pieces of Niman Ranch Dry Cured Center Cut bacon.....yum!

Easily the best bacon I've ever had. $4.89 for 12oz. at Trader Joes.

David

#64 nan

nan
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:38 PM

Well, today it was fast food (my downfall of choice). But usually, I have Creamy Banana Couscous - couscous mixed with cinnamon, splenda, chopped up banana, and evap. skim milk, then microwaved. Yummy! Even better if you add in a spoonful of peanut butter.

nan

#65 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:59 PM

Since I was at a seminar, I had to settle for some coffee and croissant at a local Sheraton :sad:

#66 jess mebane

jess mebane
  • participating member
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:21 PM

popovers: I have a no-fuss blender recipe, and the toddlers eat them by the double fistful.

#67 NulloModo

NulloModo
  • participating member
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:38 PM

Today for me was just a basic bowl of bacon and eggs, not exciting, but it got the day started off on the right foot.
He don't mix meat and dairy,
He don't eat humble pie,
So sing a miserere
And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

#68 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:06 AM

one of our normal breakfasts.....

shot of espresso with 1 cube sugar, hard boiled egg with salt

Posted Image

#69 liamsaunt

liamsaunt
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:50 AM

I like your espresso cup, little miss foodie.
I almost always eat the same thing for breakfast--buttered toast and a cup of tea. Creativity comes post-caffiene for me.

#70 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:32 AM

orange juice
brioche with sweet butter and strawberry jam
home-made chai tea
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#71 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:40 AM

Farm fresh egg poached in milk (1/2 and 1/2 actually), with Saucisse de Canard A L'Armagnac (Sausage of duck liver, pork and armagnac - if you like foie gras, this is like having it for breakfast).
Posted Image

As a child growning up a many continents, I used to frequently have eggs poached in milk or cream, but I have never seen it done in the US. The cream infuses a delicate sweet taste to the egg and is simply delicious when dabbed with a slice of bread.

The suasages are from one of my favorite stores, D'Artagnan
Posted Image

#72 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:47 AM

Farm fresh egg poached in milk (1/2 and 1/2 actually), with Saucisse de Canard A L'Armagnac (Sausage of duck liver, pork and armagnac - if you like foie gras, this is like having it for breakfast).
Posted Image

As a child growning up a many continents, I used to frequently have eggs poached in milk or cream, but I have never seen it done in the US. The cream infuses a delicate sweet taste to the egg and is simply delicious when dabbed with a slice of bread.

The suasages are from one of my favorite stores, D'Artagnan
Posted Image

View Post

YUMMMMMMMMM! Man that looks soooo good!

Since we only get to splurge with our breakfast on the weekends today was similar to other days..........

shot of espresso, 1 sugar cube, toast with chocolate pear jam (picked up in Barcelona recently, very good!)

#73 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,341 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:51 AM

This morning I had brioche, a coddled egg and a cup of Senseo dark roast coffee with milk and a little Splenda.

I baked the brioche because I am making my fancy version of bread pudding tonight for a brunch tomorrow.

I was awakened early by neighbors going up the driveway to the big garden in back to pick the remainder of the veggies. Today and tomorrow are open gate days as I have all that I need already harvested.
Since all of them help me from time to time, it is the least I can do.
It is quite chilly this morning so I have big urns of coffee, tea and hot cider to go along with a bunch of scones I baked off last night. They usually congregate out on the deck after picking but today will probably come into the family room. Overnight temps down to 37.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#74 Rhea_S

Rhea_S
  • participating member
  • 648 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:18 AM

Yogurt shake - fat free Stonyfield Farms plain yogurt, cranberry and blueberry juice, approx. 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. I'm trying to boost my immune system and lower my cholesterol.

Percyn: you are very bad for my credit card. I've been trying very hard to limit my D'Artagnan purchases, but you are making it difficult :biggrin:

#75 SiseFromm

SiseFromm
  • participating member
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 05:23 PM

Classic Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise and Thyme-Roasted Potatoes

Last weekend we ate at a miserable cafe and had the worst benedict of all time. The eggs weren't so much poached as hard-boiled. The sauce was broken, and the potatoes were bland and far too al dente. I erased those memories this morning with gooey eggs, clarified butter-toasted muffins, excellent Canadian Bacon from a Neiman Ranch pork loin, and a classic hollandaise straight from the days of culinary school. The potatoes were fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the outside, and tossed with sea salt, thyme, and chives. Lovely. We had French-press coffee with half and half and orange/grapefruit/pomegranate juice. It was a proper brunch to be sure. Best meal of the day!
R. Jason Coulston
jason@popcling.com

#76 Malawry

Malawry
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 05:39 PM

This morning, I ate an omelet filled with a crab-boursin mixture leftover from the party I catered last night. (The crab-boursin stuff was used to fill mushrooms.) I had about four cups of coffee with it. Then I ate a Rome Beauty apple while reading the paper. Ahhh, Sunday.

#77 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:10 AM

Yesterday was lox that had been in the freezer for at least 6 months and THEY WERE PERFECT. Served with goat cheese/ cream cheese mix, onion, capers and tomato slices. All items left over from various catering events and needed to be used.

Today it was a banana, a few strawberries cut up with a couple of dollops of full fat yogurt and a sprinkle of granola and a drizzle of Attiki honey. I love that stuff.

#78 eunny jang

eunny jang
  • participating member
  • 849 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:16 AM

Sorry for the feh picture, but I was hungover and grumpy and there were only two eggs for two people :angry:

Sunday morning
Posted Image

Over-easy ggs, bacon, hash browns (the sweet potato/cipollini hash I also made with a random half tater I had in the fridge was also beautiful, but it didn't make it out of the griddle :biggrin:), and my first homemade buttermilk biscuits. I had no idea these would be so easy - ten minutes total, including baking time, and so easy you could do it half asleep (as I was).

Big mug of Lady Grey, the paper, and the weather channel.

Edited by eunny jang, 25 October 2004 - 10:17 AM.

#79 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:19 PM

Over-easy ggs, bacon, hash browns (the sweet potato/cipollini hash I also made with a random half tater I had in the fridge was also beautiful, but it didn't make it out of the griddle :biggrin:), and my first homemade buttermilk biscuits.  I had no idea these would be so easy - ten minutes total, including baking time, and so easy you could do it half asleep (as I was).

View Post

WOW, those biscuits look great...are you sure this was your first try :laugh: ?

#80 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:41 PM

...lox that had been in the freezer for at least 6 months and THEY WERE PERFECT.

That is good to hear. When we have extra, and don't have plans for it right away, I'll freeze it. Thanks!

Over the weekend our breakfasts were beef hash, made with left over steak from the carpaccio the night before, and eggs over easy, and sliced tomatoes on Saturday; and scrambled eggs with extra yolks in them on Sunday.
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#81 reesek

reesek
  • participating member
  • 865 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:45 PM

we had hash yesterday too. with fingerling potatoes and part of a smoked pork chop BF had ordered out on thursday. with it i served the best poached eggs i've ever made.
from overheard in new york:
Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!
Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

#82 intraining

intraining
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:17 PM

chinese chicken with mushroom and pork fried rice and ice tea :raz:

#83 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:51 PM

we had hash yesterday too. with fingerling potatoes and part of a smoked pork chop BF had ordered out on thursday. with it i served the best poached eggs i've ever made.

View Post

Would you be willing to tell us how you did your best poached eggs ever? The only poached eggs I ever made were with those thingies that you put the individual eggs in and steam... an egg poacher. Did you use an egg poacher or did you do it the real way, in the boiling water? I would love to be able to perfectly poach an egg. Thanks!
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#84 Mottmott

Mottmott
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:31 PM

This morning I fried some polenta in butter and serrved it with maple syrup & Niman Applewood smoked bacon. I drank nothing as I wanted to be on empty as I was going to the Kerry/Clinton rally at the Love plaza. :smile:
"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

#85 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:50 PM

This morning I fried some polenta in butter and serrved it with maple syrup & Niman Applewood smoked bacon. I drank nothing as I wanted to be on empty as I was going to the Kerry/Clinton rally at the Love plaza.    :smile:

View Post

Delicious and convenient-- fried polenta for breakfast. Thanks for the idea!

Today I finished up the last slice of a brown sugar crumb coffee cake. For fruit, I had some pineapple guava that I got from a friend's backyard. (never had these before; they're very interesting tasting with at least part of the flavor tasting like pineapple...). And... two cups of Peet's Vienna Roast.
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#86 yushoe

yushoe
  • participating member
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image

how long do you leave it on the stove for? and at what heat?

#87 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:24 PM

As a child growing up a many continents, I used to frequently have eggs poached in milk or cream, but I have never seen it done in the US. The cream infuses a delicate sweet taste to the egg and is simply delicious when dabbed with a slice of bread.

how long do you leave it on the stove for? and at what heat?

View Post

Yushoe,
This would somewhat depend on the stove, pan, quantity of milk, etc, so let me try to answer this in another way...
Using a small frying pan, I add approx 1/2 a cup of regular milk (or half and half, I would not use skimmed milk for this), along with 1/2 tsp of butter and bring it to a soft boil (this does not take long, maybe a minute or so). When the milk starts to bubble and foam, crack the egg in the frying pan. Using a spatula or spoon, flick or pour some of the hot milk on the egg yolk. As soon as the egg yolk is done to your liking, take it off the heat. If you find that the milk is evaporating too soon during the boil, add some more. The amount of milk your eggs finally end up in is a personal preference. I like the taste of it when dabbed with some bread, so I use a fair amount it.
Hope this helps...

Cheers
P

#88 yushoe

yushoe
  • participating member
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:00 AM

tried percyn's eggs poached in half-n-half mopped up with a piece of 12-grain bread toasted in the remaining cream in the pan- it was delicious

#89 GordonCooks

GordonCooks
  • participating member
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 04:42 AM

During the week - breakfast is usually eaten at my desk over a two hour period while I work. Sundays are usually the big breakfast day ay my house, waffles, eggs benedict or florentine, etc

Yesterday, a little Coombe Farm English Cheddar, some homemade spicy pickle, a fresh baguette from the little bakery 2 doors down from my office, and the last bit of Kona coffee sent from friends at the Bad Ass Coffee company in hawaii.

Posted Image

This morning - goose liver pate, greek and italian olives, a crunchy pear, and yes...more baguette

Posted Image

edit: sp

Edited by GordonCooks, 28 October 2004 - 05:20 AM.

#90 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 05:08 AM

I'm having a Frosted Flakes cereal bar. And coffee. Does that count as breakfast? :unsure:
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Breakfast