Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

Breakfast

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3316 replies to this topic

#1 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:33 AM

Having enjoyed reading about what people's dinner creations at Dinner! Topic, I thought we could do the same for breakfast !!

So, feel free to post what you made for this important meal of the day !!

Cheers
Percy

Edited by percyn, 10 October 2004 - 07:54 AM.

#2 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:48 AM

OK, so what do you make when you have some farm fresh, organic, hermone free, free range eggs, Russian caviar and truffles in your pantry? Why...boiled eggs (soft and hard), topped with caviar, accompanied with truffle butter toasts, of-course !!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hint: If you want perfect looking non-gray yolks in your boiled eggs, make a small hole on the larger end the egg, taking care to just go through the shell, but not puncture the egg's membrane. This will allow air from a natural pocket to escape and not press the iron into the egg yolk.

#3 msphoebe

msphoebe
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:48 AM

This post gave me a big chuckle...I just finished MY breakfast...a bowl of leftover Neua pad bai kaprao from lunch yesterday. I love it so much, I can't wait for Sunday breakfast so I can have the leftovers.

percyn, your breakfast looks much more civilized! Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

#4 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique
  • participating member
  • 543 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:08 AM

:laugh: Well it's not what I usually eat, but around 6 this morning I had leftover green salad from last night. And I just ate a piece of cheese to tide me over until lunch.
Deb
Liberty, MO

#5 deltadoc

deltadoc
  • participating member
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:20 AM

I made a nice moussaka yesterday late afternoon. Got up this morning, and the thought of those fried potatoes resting under the eggplants, red wine meat mixture, and the nicely carmelized bechamel was too much to resist!

I no more than finished, and the wife who slept late got up and went straight for the fridge and heated up a dish for her too!

A special breakfast on a very special day, our 36th anniversary!

doc

#6 foodE

foodE
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:28 AM

I had what I think of as an Italian fry-up. In a non-stick frying pan, melt some bacon fat. When its melted and sizzling a bit, put a thick slice of tomato cut in half into the pan and cook for a few minutes, until brown around the edges, turning a few times. When they are done to your liking, add 2 eggs. Top with a few torn basil leaves, locatelli, and black pepper. Cover and cook to your desired doneness. Coincidentally, I like mine cooked just as long as it takes to get a nice piece of bread brown and toasty.

Truly, the breakfast of champions.

#7 Lexica

Lexica
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:36 AM

Soft-boiled eggs over strips of buttered sourdough toast with crumbled bacon sprinkled over the top (plus salt and freshly-ground pepper, of course). Still working on getting the timing on the eggs just right. :hmmm:
"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

#8 fierydrunk

fierydrunk
  • participating member
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:00 PM

An asiago cheese bagel with smoked salmon cream cheese...my Sunday staple. Tomorrow I will scramble 2 egss with the salmon cream cheese.

Oh yeah, no Fall or Winter morning is complete without a soy mocha with whipped cream.

#9 amccomb

amccomb
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:48 PM

We had potato pierogi fried with some italian sausage, onions, and cabbage and topped with sour cream. We split a leftover apple turnover for "dessert".

#10 Malawry

Malawry
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:51 PM

Yesterday I ate leftover chicken wings for breakfast.
Today, some sausage, an apple and a hunk of cheddar cheese.
Both days, about 5 cups of coffee along with. But that goes without saying.

#11 Katherine

Katherine
  • participating member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:05 PM

Today, an asparagus and brie omelet, and a bratwurst.

#12 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:12 PM

I had 3 hot dogs. :sad: I guess I win the prize for trashiest breakfast. :laugh:

#13 Mabelline

Mabelline
  • participating member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:23 PM

Leftover Venison Sirloin slow--cooked with cabbage and pitabread, and Earl Grey tea. Hoisin sauce used for the slow-cooking.

#14 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:35 PM

Let's see...hotdogs...venison sirloin....hot dogs....venison sirloin. Just can't decide who I hope will invite me to breakfast to save me from my cereal and fruit with Soymilk. :rolleyes:

#15 markovitch

markovitch
  • participating member
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:54 PM

coffee

breakfast of champions, yo.
"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."
---John Stewart
my blog

#16 Mabelline

Mabelline
  • participating member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:00 PM

I can make that easier on you Richard. I can just cook up some more and have you and Ling both to put a feed on. I have been wanting some green curry pork as well, and I recall Ling likes that...boy, am I glad my appetite is coming back!!!

#17 hjshorter

hjshorter
  • participating member
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:50 PM

Smoked salmon omelet, sliced tomato, and cream cheese piled on a toasted sesame bagel with OJ & two cups of very hot coffee. :wub:
Heather Johnson
In Good Thyme

#18 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:45 PM

Soft-boiled eggs over strips of buttered sourdough toast with crumbled bacon sprinkled over the top (plus salt and freshly-ground pepper, of course). Still working on getting the timing on the eggs just right.  :hmmm:

View Post

Lexica,
Have you tried an egg timer (the one that is heat sensitive, changes color to indicate state of egg and goes into the water with the eggs)? I also find that putting the eggs in gently boiling water for 4 minutes gives me a good soft boiled egg.

#19 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:19 AM

Posted Image

Brunch did turn out to be more breakfast than lunch. I used leftover chicken to make chicken hash and a fried egg, and enjoyed it on the porch even though it is a rainy day.
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#20 eunny jang

eunny jang
  • participating member
  • 849 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:23 AM

Coffee, eggs over-easy, sagey sausage, toast, the paper, and cigarettes.

Posted Image

#21 achevres

achevres
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:05 PM

Light and Fluffy Pancakes from Cooks Illustrated "The Best Recipe." In fact, they are too light for me as written and I put 2-3 tbs whole wheat flour in the measuring cup and then complete with the AP flour. So far my favorite from-sratch pancake recipe.

I made my daughter's chocolate chip and came up with this method to avoid the melted chocolate on the skillet: Pour the pancakes and sprinkle on the chips, then dab on a bit of batter on each chip before turning each one.

Any improvements on the above method welcome.

And Smucker's Light syrup.

#22 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:13 PM

rice pudding (left over) with raisins and cream
&
grapefruit juice
&
coffee

Edited by ludja, 11 October 2004 - 12:19 PM.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#23 chile_peppa

chile_peppa
  • participating member
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:17 PM

I didn't have anything at all this morning, but yesterday, I had reheated Japanese karee raisu, made oatmeal with dried cranberries for the BF, and gave his son a lesson on making French toast. Weekends are about the only time I cook anything for breakfast as we need to be out the door by 7:30 a.m. and I am not a morning person.
"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

#24 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:16 PM

Egg white omlette with chedar and smoked ham....and of-course a starbucks coffee.

#25 NulloModo

NulloModo
  • participating member
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:29 PM

Liverwurst sandwich with onions, spicey mustard, mayo, and fried onions on a flax seed roll. Perfect easy way to start the day.
He don't mix meat and dairy,
He don't eat humble pie,
So sing a miserere
And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

#26 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:15 PM

Just after I was saying how I don't eat breakfast often, it's been three days in a row.
This morning I invited a friend/colleague over before she went to work. She loves French Toast and I made Orange French Toast, assembled last night and baked this morning, with Johnnybird's Toast Dope sprinkled on it before baking. We ate it with butter and maple syrup on it, and I was in sugar shock the rest of the morning.
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#27 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:08 PM

Liverwurst sandwich with onions, spicey mustard, mayo, and fried onions on a flax seed roll.  Perfect easy way to start the day.

View Post

Great minds think almost alike. Toasted Acme sourdough, smeared with Malle Dijon and liverwurst. Mine was easier and faster to assemble.
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#28 hayasaka.k

hayasaka.k
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:57 PM

:raz:... <== me drooling over liverwurst sandwiches. I don't know why I never thought of having it for brekkie before!

Posted Image
Today was a gorgeous fall day! Bright, but not too bright. So carefree, in fact, that indecisiveness called things even with a half roasted tomato, half smoked salmon omelette. Toppings and fillings in no order: gruyere, parmesan, thyme, dill, parsley, and capers. The parental units arrived home from a friend's garden with the baby tomatoes the night before. I gave them (the tomatoes, not the p.u.'s) overnight neutrality before tossing them up in evoo and sopping up the remains with fresh (buttered) parmasan toasts while contemplating the greater aspirations of the goodies before me.
Run the earth. Watch the sky.

#29 Knicke

Knicke
  • participating member
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:29 AM

This morning: leftover cilantro polenta - cheese - pinto bean casserole thingy from last night's dinner. And a glass of milk.

It was goooooooooooood.
Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster
And they were oysters two.
Two oysters met two oysters
And they were oysters too.
Four oysters met a pint of milk
And they were oyster stew.

#30 yushoe

yushoe
  • participating member
  • 61 posts