Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pictures from the Competition

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joiei

joiei
  • participating member
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 05:39 PM

This is my first attempt at not only taking photos of food, but also posting them to the egullet galleries. I would definitely appreciate any constructive criticism. I know that a couple of pictures are double posted, but I could not figure out how to delete the doubles.

The awards will not be until tomorrow, Sunday, Oct 10. I will try to designate which ones were the winners.

Here is the link - 2004 Oklahoma State Sugar Arts competition

There were a lot of pieces that I did not shoot. And the pictures represent an overview of not only masters entries, but subcatagory entries also. As soon as I figure them out, i will try to note on the photos which catagory they are in.

egullet member Kerry Vincent organizes this show every year and I think it is a pretty massive job that she does for Sugar Artists.
It is good to be a BBQ Judge.

#2 lepatissier

lepatissier
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for posting the great pics! So interesting to see all of the intricate work . . .

#3 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 02:51 PM

Thanks so much for the photos, joiei. Some good work on show and a great source of ideas.

#4 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for taking the time to make these fine photos, joiei. The slideshow function makes it easy to view the whole album.

#5 Mayhaw Man

Mayhaw Man
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:57 PM

And the clear winner is:

http://forums.egulle..._1097367934.jpg
Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

#6 joiei

joiei
  • participating member
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:55 PM

:laugh:

#7 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:03 PM

Joiei, thank-you for taking the time to share your photos. It's greatly appreciated!

Agreed Kerry Vincent does alot for this industry! Theres many others also that donate so much of themselves for the advancement of this art............to all of them:Thank-You!

#8 joiei

joiei
  • participating member
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:14 PM

Wendy, it is my pleasure. I finally broke down and bought a camera and a nifty little device that makes transfering the pictures from the digital cards very easy. No plugging in the camera.

Plus, the event was excellent. There were students there from the Texas Culinary institute even.

#9 chromedome

chromedome
  • participating member
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:51 PM

And the clear winner is:

http://forums.egulle..._1097367934.jpg

View Post

Oh, I don't know...I rather like this tribute to Malevsky and the Constructivists...

http://forums.egulle..._1097367484.jpg

(not poking fun at you, joiei...I've just spent too much time with art textbooks...)
Fat=flavor

#10 jgarner53

jgarner53
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:06 PM

Wow, just some amazing work there. And while I might not choose one of those cakes for myself, or even want to create something like that (the Addams family cake comes to mind), the level of detail and amount of skill and time that goes into creating these pieces is just mind-boggling.

As for that "jar of pickled peppers cake," just how do they get the cake to look transparent?? :huh: :wacko: :wink: :biggrin:
"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner
buttercream pastries

#11 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for sharing the photos! It's greatly appreciated by those of us that couldn't go.
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org
Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

#12 hillvalley

hillvalley
  • participating member
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

I am in complete and utter awe.

Okay, I've got a question I have always wanted to ask. What do you do with the pieces after the show?
True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe